Any tips?

Aside from the obvious of including windows and doors and a sweet dungeon for kicks.. a two story gazebo would be solid.

Share some pictures with us when you're done. Any current pictures online if what you're aiming for?

When you figure the cost of building, take the estimate and add 20%. Also, it will take at least 3 months longer to build it than they tell you.

I sure hope it doesn't take 3 extra months. I'm shooting for a December 1 deadline. I want that $8000 tax credit for first time home buyers. Right now the building business is pretty slow.The contractor, who is an good friend of the family said there is no reason it can't be finished by December.

The only reason it should cost more than the specs call for is if we make any change orders to the original plans. We don't plan to add to the plans, but we have money in the bank for any extras we decide to go with over the course of construction.

Here is the plans for the home we are building.

http://www.mascord.com/planviewer/main.asp?PlanGraphicID=2983

There are some pics of a house that was built by the same plans. You can select them from the menu on the left. We are probabaly going with the same exterior color scheme as the home in the actual photos.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

This. ;)

And I wish you the best of luck. I have no building advice to live, though perhaps I could live a bit of marginal legal advice on a few issues.

I hope I wont need any legal advise in this process. But if something comes up, you'll be the first person I call. lol

I sure hope it doesn't take 3 extra months. I'm shooting for a December 1 deadline. I want that $8000 tax credit for first time home buyers. Right now the building business is pretty slow.The contractor, who is an good friend of the family said there is no reason it can't be finished by December.

The only reason it should cost more than the specs call for is if we make any change orders to the original plans. We don't plan to add to the plans, but we have money in the bank for any extras we decide to go with over the course of construction.

Here is the plans for the home we are building.

http://www.mascord.com/planviewer/main.asp?PlanGraphicID=2983

There are some pics of a house that was built by the same plans. You can select them from the menu on the left. We are probabaly going with the same exterior color scheme as the home in the actual photos.

The "craftsman" house shown is the hottest thing going today. Alot of the newer communities in ATL that were built in the past 2/3 yrs. before the "bust" were of this style.

Appeals to many buyers. The darker colors are certainly the trend at this time and I, personally, like it.

Are you using hardiplank concrete siding? Most of the craftsman homes are built w/this.

What kind of countertops are you gonna install? Having gone through renovations in a 5 year old home we bought.....I can tell you my experience.

We installed granite in one bathroom....but, it has to be sealed periodically. I decided to go w/silestone (a quartz) in my master bathroom and jack/jill bath instead of granite. It is great....no maintenance required. In my kitchen, solid surface corian was already installed when we purchased the house....but it seems as if it scratches even if you look at it....lol. We're planning on taking it out and putting in silestone ( doing it when they have a sale.)

Put ceiling fans in the house....it pays off in the summertime. I have them everywhere but the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms.

Don't get me started on tile....we've re-done all our bathrooms (3) but the powder room (wood floor) was left as it. Another tidbit, the darker the woodfloors the more scratches you'll see.

I haven't built a house but I certainly have been educated on renovations. :)

The "craftsman" house shown is the hottest thing going today. Alot of the newer communities in ATL that were built in the past 2/3 yrs. before the "bust" were of this style.

Appeals to many buyers. The darker colors are certainly the trend at this time and I, personally, like it.

Are you using hardiplank concrete siding? Most of the craftsman homes are built w/this.

What kind of countertops are you gonna install? Having gone through renovations in a 5 year old home we bought.....I can tell you my experience.

We installed granite in one bathroom....but, it has to be sealed periodically. I decided to go w/silestone (a quartz) in my master bathroom and jack/jill bath instead of granite. It is great....no maintenance required. In my kitchen, solid surface corian was already installed when we purchased the house....but it seems as if it scratches even if you look at it....lol. We're planning on taking it out and putting in silestone ( doing it when they have a sale.)

Put ceiling fans in the house....it pays off in the summertime. I have them everywhere but the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms.

Don't get me started on tile....we've re-done all our bathrooms (3) but the powder room (wood floor) was left as it. Another tidbit, the darker the woodfloors the more scratches you'll see.

I haven't built a house but I certainly have been educated on renovations. :)

Wow! I'm glad I started this thread now! I knew there would be someone on here that could give some good advice.

We are probably just going with vinyl siding, and the "cedar shake" style vinyl in the gables.

We are most likely going with the "Formica" style countertops for now. Going into this we had big plans for the cabinets and countertops, but in order to stay in budget we decided the counter tops would be something that we could upgrade, with relative ease, at a later date. I would like to include everything we want right now, but that just isn't realistic for us. So we are scrapping on somethings that we feel would be an easy upgrade later on, and we are going ahead with things that would take a major renovation to fix a few years down the road.

The ceiling fans are already on the list!

I know you said not to get you started on tile. But what do you have to say about it? Is it that bad? We had planned on it in the kitchen, laundry, and baths. Not to mention the tiled shower we have in the plans.

Dang, we really wanted dark wood floors! That will definitely be something to think about now! The good thing is that my roommate's father, from all 4 years of college, owns a hardwood flooring company, so I am getting the floors dirt cheap...with professional installation.

Thanks for all those tips!

Changing out the countertops at a later date.....will make any cabinets you install look great.

I've seen some of the formica in the big boxes and it ain't what your grandma had installed....looks good.

Tile....yes, it's great....use porcelain....per my "latest" tile guy....it's stronger and more durable that ceramic. Just watch out in the big boxes....some of it is made in C?????, you know where I'm going :) Make sure to use the "tried and true standard" grout. Three yrs. ago, one of the big boxes was pushing premixed grout, also, DIYer's and one of the premier home channels was touting it as the latest, greatest since M. Ali.....WRONG. It has since been removed from the shelves and alas, I just got through having it ripped out of my huge master shower floor....floor tile totally removed and re-tiled and grouted w/ regular grout (there is sanded and non-sanded) at a cost of around $1,000. Everything advertised is not always as it seems.

Latest tile guy, also, used a kit that truly gets the drain pitch perfect on a tiled shower. The best type of tile to use on a shower floor is 2x2 tiles that are matted on a 12x12 sheet....that way it can be manipulated for the best pitch to the drain. I would also use the larger tiles, (which I did) on the shower walls.....(I used 13x13) the less grout lines the better(less chance of any water damage.) I would lay the lower shower wall tiles straight.....and when you get halfway up you can go with smaller tiles (6x6) on a diagonal. Makes for a more appealing look. Stand alone tiled showers in a master are a must for resale in the ATL market. After your grout cures in 7 to 10 days have your tile guy to seal it w/a water based sealant.....protects grout from staining and mildew.

Your preference if you want to go with tile in kitchen ....the one thing in this area is wood floors in kitchen are more desirable for resale. Laundry room use tile but again have the grout sealed after curing.

Another thing, my plumber, yeah, it's not one guy that does it all anymore.....he said for your fixtures, faucets and such....(older guy so he's seen it all).....to use only Delta. It's a little more expensive but he says that they're so much easier to work on if ever required.

Got to get off here....hope this helps.

Edited by trublue

Changing out the countertops at a later date.....will make any cabinets you install look great.

I've seen some of the formica in the big boxes and it ain't what your grandma had installed....looks good.

Tile....yes, it's great....use porcelain....per my "latest" tile guy....it's stronger and more durable that ceramic. Just watch out in the big boxes....some of it is made in C?????, you know where I'm going :) Make sure to use the "tried and true standard" grout. Three yrs. ago, one of the big boxes was pushing premixed grout, also, DIYer's and one of the premier home channels was touting it as the latest, greatest since M. Ali.....WRONG. It has since been removed from the shelves and alas, I just got through having it ripped out of my huge master shower floor....floor tile totally removed and re-tiled and grouted w/ regular grout (there is sanded and non-sanded) at a cost of around $1,000. Everything advertised is not always as it seems.

Latest tile guy, also, used a kit that truly gets the drain pitch perfect on a tiled shower. The best type of tile to use on a shower floor is 2x2 tiles that are matted on a 12x12 sheet....that way it can be manipulated for the best pitch to the drain. I would also use the larger tiles, (which I did) on the shower walls.....(I used 13x13) the less grout lines the better(less chance of any water damage.) I would lay the lower shower wall tiles straight.....and when you get halfway up you can go with smaller tiles (6x6) on a diagonal. Makes for a more appealing look. Stand alone tiled showers in a master are a must for resale in the ATL market. After your grout cures in 7 to 10 days have your tile guy to seal it w/a water based sealant.....protects grout from staining and mildew.

Your preference if you want to go with tile in kitchen ....the one thing in this area is wood floors in kitchen are more desirable for resale. Laundry room use tile but again have the grout sealed after curing.

Another thing, my plumber, yeah, it's not one guy that does it all anymore.....he said for your fixtures, faucets and such....(older guy so he's seen it all).....to use only Delta. It's a little more expensive but he says that they're so much easier to work on if ever required.

Got to get off here....hope this helps.

Great information here! Thanks.

I had already thought about the 2X2 tile that come in a 12X12 sheet. I really like the sounds of the tile pattern you mentioned.

I wouldn't mind to do hardwood in the kitchen, but for some reason my wife is set on doing tile there...so we all know how that will end...right trueblue? ;) lol

I think that we are using delta in the house. The contractor using the same kind in all the houses he builds, so he gets good prices on them from the manufacturer. But, I can't remember if they are kohler or delta.

Well, the guy is supposed to be here the first of next week to install my septic system, then we are closing at the bank on Tuesday. Construction should start the following Monday!

Thanks for the info TB, and I will keep you up to date through the process.

Limber up the ole fingers for the closing!!!! :)

Yep, I'm been practicing my signature for a little training ;)

We already had to sign and initial about 20 pages for the application, and the contract with the contractor. I have a feeling we might double that next week.

• 4 weeks later...

"Harvey and Hannah" Homeowners.....(my nickname for newbies) /aka Mr. and Mrs. BBAlum ....after you move in.....keep a record of how many times you're at the "big box" in the first month and let me know. :) It will become your favorite place to shop for awhile.

Edited by trublue

"Harvey and Hannah" Homeowners.....(my nickname for newbies) how's it feel to be on the American path of home ownership owing a fairly substanial amount of money ....lol???? After you move in.....keep a record of how many times you're at the "big box" in the first month and let me know. :) It will become your favorite place to shop for awhile.

Haha! Well so far we are only owe a small amount, that is until the contractor takes the next draw from the bank, then that amount will more than double. However, we did get our first interest bill yesterday, so now I really feel like a homeowner!!

We officially broke ground on June 12. On that Friday they dug about 25% of the footers, when they busted a hydraulic hose on their backhoe and had to quit about noon. It then proceeded to rain each day of the following week, finally drying up the following weekend.

This brings us to last week (June 22-26) when they finally got back to work. They worked on the footers on Monday, and finished them up on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday were dead besides the delivery of about 600 block, a load of sand, and a pallet of mortar.

Monday, June 29 the masons (a crew of 5) were on site and began laying the block, which they surprisingly finished in one long day, working until about 7pm. On Tuesday the mason returned to do some touch up work, and another crew came over and laid some plastic inside the foundation walls as a vapor barrier. We also got a Port-a-Potty on site!!

I haven't been on site today, but the word is that a guy came over and tared the outside of the block that will be underground, this waterproofs the block. He also installed french drains all the way around the house.

The plan for the rest of the week is to fill in the front porch with gravel/broken block tomorrow, to get it ready for the concrete slab. The first load of lumber should be delivered on Friday morning, and hopefully they will start the floor on Friday, but I'm not expecting that until Monday.

I'll try to remember to keep this updated throughout the process. Not only for you all, but it will be a nice journal for us to look back on after it is all said and done. I will even try to add some pictures as I go.

. I'll try to remember to keep this updated throughout the process. Not only for you all, but it will be a nice journal for us to look back on after it is all said and done. I will even try to add some pictures as I go.

BBAlum and wife--

SWVASPORTS first reality show--

In all seriousness, hope setbacks are minimal and no over runs on the BUDGET!!

Life has many choices---eternity two

I just completed renovating a home last October -- the contractor we hired to help us out with the big stuff told us about a store actually 3 stores one in Christiansburg, one in Roanoke, and one in Lynchburg called the ReStore. It is where big contractors donate new and sometimes used materials to be resold for Habitat for Humanity.

We found alot of tile - super nice - at the Roanoke store priced at $1 a piece for 12" and then a little more for larger and less for smaller - we found enough with trim to do both bathrooms and the backsplash and a border in the kitchen - we purchased a nice contrast at Lowes to finish the kitchen off.

At the Christianburg store we found loads of new light fixtures - and faucets - as well as a brand new garden tub priced at $155 the same one we had planned on ordering for $1085 - super savings. This store also had alot of grout.

We never made it to the Lynchburg store - but was told they had alot of good stuff too.

We also purchased a new sleigh bed [king size] headboard and footboard with rails at the Roanoke store for $40 - solid cherry made by Lane - it had a very small less than 1" scratch on the backside of the headboard -

You should check it out - you can go to anywho.com and type in ReStore and the location you want to visit for their phone number and hours --

You can save boat loads of money if you do some of the finish work yourself and if youcan get some small stuff for a good deal that's even more.

Good Luck - and congratulations on your new home.

I just completed renovating a home last October -- the contractor we hired to help us out with the big stuff told us about a store actually 3 stores one in Christiansburg, one in Roanoke, and one in Lynchburg called the ReStore. It is where big contractors donate new and sometimes used materials to be resold for Habitat for Humanity.

We found alot of tile - super nice - at the Roanoke store priced at $1 a piece for 12" and then a little more for larger and less for smaller - we found enough with trim to do both bathrooms and the backsplash and a border in the kitchen - we purchased a nice contrast at Lowes to finish the kitchen off.

At the Christianburg store we found loads of new light fixtures - and faucets - as well as a brand new garden tub priced at $155 the same one we had planned on ordering for $1085 - super savings. This store also had alot of grout.

We never made it to the Lynchburg store - but was told they had alot of good stuff too.

We also purchased a new sleigh bed [king size] headboard and footboard with rails at the Roanoke store for $40 - solid cherry made by Lane - it had a very small less than 1" scratch on the backside of the headboard -

You should check it out - you can go to anywho.com and type in ReStore and the location you want to visit for their phone number and hours --

You can save boat loads of money if you do some of the finish work yourself and if youcan get some small stuff for a good deal that's even more.

Good Luck - and congratulations on your new home.

I will definitely have to check into those.

I added some photo's to my facebook account. You should be able to view them with this link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2015466&id=92800342&l=2c19ef8406

Let me know if that works

They installed the TJI floor joists today, and will install the flooring tomorrow. They may start some framing tomorrow, and if not, then they will begin on Thursday. Contractor said all the exterior walls should be up by Friday.

Is that guy wearing a McCann jersey shirt? I like it!

And I looked at the floor plans for that house and it looks like it's going to turn out very nice. Are you planning on building anything extra as well? like a pool or what not?

Are you planning on building anything extra as well? like a pool or what not?

He's going to build a "pool and a pond...the pond would be good for you..."

cs_358.jpg

Is that guy wearing a McCann jersey shirt? I like it!

And I looked at the floor plans for that house and it looks like it's going to turn out very nice. Are you planning on building anything extra as well? like a pool or what not?

That would be me in the McCann Jersey Shirt. lol

No pool or anything right now. We do plan to build a detached garage later down the road, but that will probably be a few years.