I gave up on christianity

-00- From what you are saying, your parents must be Christians who took you to church and you were taught about Jesus from his Holy Word. Your parents were following the guideline in God's word --

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it". Your parents are responsible for your spiritual development and guidance as long as you are their minor, just as they are for your educational training and development.

"How do I know that God is the maker of all kind?"

There are two scriptures that I believe can help with this question--

Psalm 119:89 - "For ever, O LORD, your word is settled in heaven".

Colossians 1:23 - "If you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which you have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister";

-00-When you went to school and was taught that 2 + 2 = 4, you didn't question, or argue, because you trusted the teacher, who was instructing you, to be faithful in their position and knowledge. You took what you had been taught and applied it to life, so when you went and bought a piece of bubble gum, which cost 4 cents, you knew the cashier was going to give you back 6 cents in change for the dime you gave. No question, because you knew 2 + 2 = 4.

The same analogy is applied here--you trusted your parents and church to guide you in the truth of God's word while a child, but then as you mature you read it yourself, you apply it to your everyday life. God can not lie, neither will his word.

How I know I serve the living God, is the simplicity of the gospel--he made man--

Hindus and Buddhists serve a god they made with their hands--

Life has many choices---eternity two

thank you very much, i understand now, thanx again

if i have any more questions ill definitly be back

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are really to many thoughts about things that made me doubt for me to list, it's just a simple matter of 1 side overwhelming the other. There are individual thoughts I might comment on perhaps if any in particular are heavy on my mind at some point, but the only thought to comment on for now is about having a personal relationship with Jesus and God.

Don't be insulted if it seems as a direct challenge to those who claim they do, but obviously I have to disagree with such statements, and it seems to be key in belief.

Myself I've been through the Jesus as my best friend times, a "close and personal relationship with the Lord" way of thinking, but with all due respect, guess what, I didn't ever hear a voice speaking to me.

I spent many countless hours over the years in quiet times, I've even had spoken conversations about problems or faith or difficulties with God and Jesus, and upon reflection have to admit that I look back and realize I was just some person talking to myself, so where was Jesus, I never saw Him? I never heard Him respond. I never felt as if I had any answers come to me after such times, or comfort that wasn't worldly.

So why was this such a 1 sided "relationship". "Close and personal", according to what, "my" output? The amount that I could convince myself that I've had an imaginary friend?

I've heard or read many people say "you must not ever have really submitted yourself to God", you didn't really believe enough, or you obviously didn't give God enough time, or you didn't trust God enough. But I can assure you I did, not only many times throughout the my life, but without getting personal about some of the experiences that have made for a lot of my doubts, I put my very life in God's hands in Iraq, I offered my life to God as much as I possibly could have then, spiritually and physically, but I've been spiritually more empty than ever since I've been back. Why has God, or any close and personal relationship with God been so spiritually unfulfilling? Why is God silent? Where is God?

Not to mention according to the Bible, if I die in such a state of mind I'll be condemned to eternal punishment for not believing or not "knowing" God. What would God tell me, that I didn't seek Him?

So why would a loving God create a world and step away from it and be silent and then judge and condem people for not knowing Him or believing in Him?

I believe that the Bible is God's Holy Word. Do I understand all of it? No way. But I also dont understand how I can punch in a number on my cell phone and reach California in 3 seconds. Faith is the key. I always kinda felt more sorry for non-believers (by the way, not saying this about anyone on here) because what hope do they have? I have had a blessed life, but there has also been pain, sorrow, sickness, etc. I would hate to think that this is it. When I pass from the earth, that it is the end. i want to see loved ones and friends again, and I know I will. Keep the Faith, we need it now more than ever.

Buzzsaw, I wanted to write something with such assurance that you would have no doubt....but then the above post popped into my head. It is so simply stated but with such strong belief of what faith is all about.

Also, the nature that you so love.....is God's way of showing us the beauty of His creation. Look at the cycles of seeding, growing, fading and then dying....(the same cycle as mankind)....that wasn't by "happenstance". I look up in the sky with all its glorious color and brightness and from the overflow of my heart, I thank our God for his creation. I look at the glorious mountain ranges and I thank our God for another marvelous sight. If, one only focuses on the dark side of life's troubles, sorrows and pain....then the light of goodness in this world becomes overshadowed by our mind's focus.

Mankind doesn't have all the answers...though, one would never know that by all the books written with answers for every one of life's problems, money worries and doubts.

God knows when even a sparrow falls to the ground, and He knows what you're wrestling with now....I will post the following that I've kept in my Bible since June 30, 2002.

Here is the testimony of a young, seminary student:

"In 1949 I had been having doubts concerning the Bible. I thought I saw apparent contradictions in Scripture. Some things I could not reconcile with my restricted concept of God. When I stood up to preach, the authoritative note so characteristic of all great preachers of the past was lacking. Like hundreds of other young seminary students, I was waging the intellectual battle of my life....I remember walking down a trail, deep in the woods, and almost wrestling with God. I dueled with my doubts, and my soul seemed to be caught in the crossfire. Finally, in desperation, I surrendered my will to the living God, revealed in Scripture. I knelt and said, "Lord, many things in this book I do not understand. But you have said, 'the just shall live by faith.' All I have received from you, I have taken by faith. Here and now, by faith, I accept the Bible as Your Word. I take it all, I take it without reservations. Where there are things I cannot understand, I will reserve judgement until I receive more light. If this pleases, you give me authority as I proclaim thy Word, and turn sinners to the Savior."

Six weeks after he prayed this prayer, Billy Graham began his first crusade in Los Angeles.

We're thankful you're on here posting your thoughts Buzzsaw and that we can share the innermost feelings of our faith with you.

Edited by trublue