BDT - TJ Rasnick (Tazewell) signs LOI with E & H

tbgfan

AFTERNOON UPDATE: Rasnick to continue soccer career

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

One year ago, T.J. Rasnick was facing an uncertain future. He was receiving treatment for synovial sarcoma, a form of cancer that was found near his right hamstring. He missed his junior season on the soccer field with the Tazewell Bulldogs and did not know if he would play again.

What a difference a year makes.

Tuesday at Tazewell High School, Rasnick signed a letter of intent to play soccer at Emory & Henry.

“It’s just a blessing to be able to stand here and be ready to go to college in the fall,†he said. “I know my family is very proud there. I’m just glad they can be here and go through all this with me because I know it’s been tough on them too. It’s just a blessing.â€

Even though Rasnick received the diagnosis on March 11, 2008, he never relinquished hope that he would be able to continue his athletic career.

“You just keep your faith in God and you can do anything,†he said. “There’s not one day that I changed what I wanted to do or my goals. It’s always been the same. You’ve just got a never-say-die attitude.â€

For more on Rasnick and his father, Tim, see Wednesday's Daily Telegraph

This is one story I am so PROUD AND BLESSED to post--Congratulations TJ # 11 on becoming a Wasp--no more green (will have some blue on-lol)

Life has many choices---eternity two

Please note under the photo posted by BDT they mention LOI. What is it with people that get so in a tizzy about the verbage used with sports designation terminology?????

I don't care what they call the signing, writing of their name, or if they signed with a crayon, or a disappearing ink pen....it's an opportunity for the recognized athlete and their families to share in a special time in their lives.

T.J. Rasnick made many big plays, but also led by example

On the ball

Larry Hypes

The firm of Taxley, Rasnick, Rhudy and Moore sounds like a law group, doesn’t it? Actually, it’s T.J., T.J., Andrew and Clinton (Bruiser) as a foursome heading down to Myrtle Beach from Tazewell after tomorrow night’s graduation.

Those four will be mighty hard to replace in the Bulldog athletic program but all four were happy a couple of days ago when T. J. Rasnick signed a letter of intent to play soccer at Emory & Henry this coming year.

What a story — after the battle with cancer Rasnick and his family have fought this past year. Not only did he have to deal with his own medical concerns, but a pair of his classmates, Kayla Coxton and Jennifer Phillips, did not survive the school year and their diplomas will be presented posthumously among the others in the Class of 2009.

I can only imagine the mental anguish, and in between all that were trips to hospitals, a few “procedures†and class work to complete. Did I mention Rasnick will graduate with honors?

Well, it just gets better. First, he had major surgery in June and then miraculously appeared for pre season football. He had to spend a few days in the hospital during those late-summer workouts because of illness-related problems but nothing was going to keep that child on the sidelines. He was running in 90-degree heat when the average person might have stayed in bed.

Rasnick got in during ‘09 as a defensive back, had several carries from the halfback position, and also did some kicking. Remember the long field goals? How about that 77-yard punt return for a touchdown in the Region IV semifinals? By season’s end, he was so close to having fully regained the form that had made him one of the most exciting players around.

Rasnick made it rough on me, though. I told him more than once the hardest task Dr. Bob Brown and I had on many nights was broadcasting and trying to accurately describe some of his acrobatic maneuvers out there. The night he scored four touchdowns in the first half at Honaker on four different kinds of plays was one of the highlights.

A couple of years ago, T. J. got out in the back yard with his dad, Tim, and taught himself to punt. When he started, I wondered if it would work. He didn’t look like a punter. He would kick sideways, somehow, and you just knew the ball wouldn’t go anywhere.

Wrong — he’d blast it out of there and it would go 40 or 50 yards and then hit the ground like a corkscrew so it was very difficult to pick up cleanly.

We stopped trying to figure out just how Rasnick did what he did and decided to simply enjoy it.

As a ball carrier — and Rasnick finished as the second-leading ground gainer in Tazewell history — he was everything the Dogs could ask for. Any direction, stop, start, twist, duck, dodge, or hide, T. J. could and did put on a show for the fans that has seldom been equaled.

I know he scored 104 goals in soccer. He is a fine basketball player. He is an excellent student. I have seen all these qualities. But it is what I cannot see that matters most — and that is his heart.

Thank you, Lord, for bringing T. J. back and now we look forward to his promising career at Emory just as soon Taxley, Rasnick, Rhudy, and Moore finish their next assignment.

Division III players and schools do not sign Letter of Intent. There are no athletic scholarships at D3 schools.

if you have a problem, email a correction. i doubt the author checks this board, so there's no point writing it here.

Division III players and schools do not sign Letter of Intent. There are no athletic scholarships at D3 schools.

LOI does not mean you are recieving a scholarship per say. It means you are signing with intent to play there. Did it say he signed to recieve a scholarship?????? It's a letter of INTENT.

who cares? they might not be able to give out athletic scholarships but they find ways for him to go there and play soccer with little to no expence to him...stop trying to degrade this honor by saying he really didnt sign a LOI

What difference does it make? The young man has overcome enormous obstacles and is still going to be able to play a sport at the collegiate level. This thread should be full of nothing but congratulations.

congrats TJ

you suck you homo!!!!! quit being jealous of raz's accomplishments!

What accomplishments? Was he player of the year? Never making it out of regions? I hope he does well at E&H, considering they are the worst team in the ODAC. Congrats then! Get a life. I stated a basic fact and people on here go crazy.

Your right that Division III athletes do not receive athletic scholarships - however the "friends of the soccer team" can give huge $$$. I know several SWD players who have attended E & H and paid nothing -- the biggest difference with these DIII 'signees' are that they actually must have grades. So to me 'signing' to a DIII school and receiving monies to attend those schools probably means that you are both athletically talented and academically accomplished.

I am not sure where the individual that made this statement [regarding the LOI for D3 schools] is from - but I can name student-athletes from Graham - Carroll - Tazewell - Richlands that have had a 'signing ceremony' for DIII schools. We should all congratulate these students for continuing their education.

What accomplishments? Was he player of the year? Never making it out of regions? I hope he does well at E&H, considering they are the worst team in the ODAC. Congrats then! Get a life. I stated a basic fact and people on here go crazy.

Region4, this young man has accomplished more athletically and physically in the last two years than most of the posters on this board will face and conquer in a lifetime.

I'm not sure if you are a one sport athlete or not (probably so, soccer), TJ's ACCOMPLISHMENTS in football this past season, if my memory is correct, 4 TD's in one game, besides kicking the EP's. He played DE, WR, and punter. He was 1st team SWD and

1st team Region IV.

In soccer, this past season his ACCOMPLISHMENTS were 24 goals in 12 games, with medical setbacks I could tell, but won't. Unequivocally, I state no other soccer player in the state, would have stayed the course in trying to play under the same circumstances.

In spite of this he was 1st team SWD and 2nd team Region IV.

In basketball he came off the bench to help the Dawgs this season.

As for E & H being the worst team in the ODAC, that can change--Caleb Jennings has sured used his talents (go Blues) to turn around the football program there. TJ has the same tenacity, determination and talent as Caleb, so it can happen easily.

Your question was he Player of the Year--nope, not in soccer, but where life counts he is MAN OF THE YEAR!!!

couldn't agree more. region4fan, you succeeded in getting a knee-jerk reaction out of quite a few people, but you have to realize what a sensitive spot youre hitting. this kid is a role model of the best kind, and people (especially around here) don't like anything bad to be said about him. while you may not have meant to be taking anything away from TJ, it was a pointless statement that would have been better left unsaid.

well for starters he was player of the year twice u fag!!!! if they gave scholorships for being gay you would go to a d1 school with a full ride

Edited by carrollfan
stop with the name calling

• 1 month later...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Congrats TJ. I have followed your story for the last few years and you are truly an inspiration. I think Ill have to make a trip down to see you play.

Keep Fighting Kid.

• 2 weeks later...
region4, how could you say that.

Say what? I am just telling the truth. In Division III athletics, there are no LOI. There are no signings. There are no athletic scholarships. I hope he does well at E&H. they need all the help they can get since they are usually the bottom of the ODAC. I think Zack Jarrett will make more of an impact there.

Actually, you are wrong. DIII schools who are NAIA schools have athletic monies and have letters of intent. I have learned alot over the last few months while spending time visiting some colleges with family members. I always thought DIII meant only academic monies -- but I too was wrong.

However, isn't it great to get a full academic ride somewhere and play your sport for fun without any pressure to perform in order to maintain you scholarships -- My family member has actually received six offers all covering 95% to 100% of cost -- most of the money is academic -- what I have discovered is that colleges create a financial package and coaches love it when the package is full of academic monies. In the case of my family -- PELL grants are not included in the financial package - so that will be extra for books and or other expenses. Those SAT scores and GPAs are really important - they really mean cash.

My idea of playing a college sport is simple "isn't it great to play a game you love and get paid [tuition $] for it all while traveling around the country with 20 - 85 people who love this same game and are most often a friend -- all while doing this on some elses dime." Then you add in getting an education and adding college sports participation on your resume --

Actually, you are wrong. DIII schools who are NAIA schools have athletic monies and have letters of intent. I have learned alot over the last few months while spending time visiting some colleges with family members. I always thought DIII meant only academic monies -- but I too was wrong.

However, isn't it great to get a full academic ride somewhere and play your sport for fun without any pressure to perform in order to maintain you scholarships -- My family member has actually received six offers all covering 95% to 100% of cost -- most of the money is academic -- what I have discovered is that colleges create a financial package and coaches love it when the package is full of academic monies. In the case of my family -- PELL grants are not included in the financial package - so that will be extra for books and or other expenses. Those SAT scores and GPAs are really important - they really mean cash.

My idea of playing a college sport is simple "isn't it great to play a game you love and get paid [tuition $] for it all while traveling around the country with 20 - 85 people who love this same game and are most often a friend -- all while doing this on some elses dime." Then you add in getting an education and adding college sports participation on your resume --

If a school is a NAIA school then it is not a Division III school. NAIA schools are not NCAA schools. NAIA schools give athletic scholarships while Division III team do not. Some NAIA schools in the area are Bluefield, Milligan, King, Virginia Intermont, etc. The Division III schools are Roanoke, Emory and Henry, Greensboro, Christopher Newport, Washington and Lee. NAIA schools and NCAA schools are completely different. All schools offer academic money but that is not what we were talking about. We were talking about a ATHLETIC scholarship. NCAA Division III schools do NOT offer athletic scholarships. Everything you are talking about, PELL GRANTS, GPA, etc are available to anyone. NAIA schools do have LOIs because they have athletic scholarships.