Big East.. Top 25?

dawgs86

Bottom line, preseason polls serve only one purpose, to stir talk. I honestly quit looking at them years ago.

They serve purpose of ranking. I hate preseason polls. I mean we all love it when our team gets in, but I think they are crap. A team not ranked in the top 25 that goes undefeated, will more than likely never get to play in the BCS national championship game. I agree that the Big East isn't getting much love, but the teams that are usually at the top of the conference have a lot to prove. As rocks said, WVU loses White, Pitt loses McCoy, and Cinci will have a new defensive group this year. Rutgers and USF have some promise, WVU and Pitt had good recruiting, and Cincy needs to prove themself on D.

WVU has a lot of promise, but the OLINE will be the deciding factor for them. The D will be strong, and we have tons of weapons on offense, but we have to have better blocking than last year.

Pitt will do the worst thing for the Big East every year whether it's losing at home to a MAC team or knocking another Big East team out of the National Championship game.

Or getttin blanked by a very mediocre Oregon State team in a bowl game

Saw today where ol' Kirk picked Rutgers to win the BE. Unless he's seeing something that everyone isn't (like a new quarterback, and losing their two 1,000 yd receivers), I don't know what the crap he's talking about.

More bad news for the BE: It looks as if the Big 10 is taking away one of the Big East's premier bowl games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4397907

Sources: Big Ten to have 3 Jan. 1 bowls

The Big Ten likely will add the Gator Bowl to its postseason lineup, giving the league an even stronger presence on Jan. 1, sources close to the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The Gator Bowl and the Big Ten are close to an agreement that would pit the Big Ten's No. 4 or No. 5 team against most likely the No. 3 team from the ACC. The proposed four-year agreement, which would begin in 2010, would put the Big Ten in three early games on Jan. 1, which would lead into the Rose Bowl.

Sources said the Big Ten likely will continue its agreements with the Capital One and Outback bowls.

With the Pac-10 likely replacing the Big Ten in the Alamo Bowl, the Big Ten intends to move up the Insight Bowl in its bowl selection order. The No. 4 or No. 5 Big Ten team would go to the Insight to face the No. 4 from the Big 12, sources said. The Gator and Insight bowl will alternate between the No. 4 and No. 5 selections.

The Insight Bowl, which currently selects the No. 6 teams from both the Big Ten and the Big 12, is expected to make a significant increase in its $1.2 million payout.

The Big Ten likely won't renew its agreement with the Champs Sports Bowl and is looking for a spot for its No. 6 team. The Texas Bowl is a good possibility, which could give the Big Ten a second matchup against the Big 12.

"Every bowl is going through these negotiations right now," Texas Bowl manager Heather Houston recently told ESPN.com. "We're all waiting to see how a couple things are going to fall. But when we're talking about a matchup for the Big 12, the Big Ten is at the top of our list."

Sources said the Big Ten will renew its contract with the Motor City Bowl, which selects the No. 7 team.

Big East is tweaking their bowl slots as well......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4399381

Updated: August 14, 2009, 2:16 PM ET

Source: Big East to tweak bowl deals

The Big East is close to a deal that would send its No. 2 team to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando and its No. 3 to the Sun Bowl, a source close to the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The league's current deal, which ends after this season, has its No. 2 team going to the Gator Bowl or Sun Bowl, with Notre Dame eligible to be taken in place of the Big East twice in a four-year span.

The Gator Bowl likely will end its relationship with the Big East and instead sign a deal with the Big Ten. The Big East's agreement with the Champs Sports Bowl would still include Notre Dame, but the game could select the Fighting Irish instead of a league team only once every four years, the source said.

The conference's No. 4 team would then go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., the source said. Currently, the Meineke gets the No. 3 team from the Big East.

The league is still reviewing its options for its fourth, fifth and sixth slots. Possibilities include the International, Papajohns.com and St. Petersburg bowls -- all of which are part of the current lineup -- or new affiliations.

A newly created game in New York City also remains a possibility.

Brian Bennett covers Big East football for ESPN.com.

does anyone really think the Big 10 #4 or #5 is stronger than the BE #2?? stupid

For what its worth, the Big 10 is on the same train to mediocrity that the ACC was on. It's not a stretch to think the BE #2 or #3 could at least contend with whatever overhyped school you pull from a list of Big10 teams.

For what its worth, the Big 10 is on the same train to mediocrity that the ACC was on. It's not a stretch to think the BE #2 or #3 could at least contend with whatever overhyped school you pull from a list of Big10 teams.

Ohio State and Penn State are a clear notch ahead of any Big East #2 squad.

I think Michigan could take a Big East #2 squad this year. Remember, it's a new year.

And I think Michigan State, Wisconsin, and and Illinois could potentially do the same.

I think Michigan could take a Big East #2 squad this year. Remember, it's a new year.

And I think Michigan State, Wisconsin, and and Illinois could potentially do the same.

Ah, the pre'ten'd conference.....Wis-CONN-sin....as the midwesterners say....the Badgers (some of the in-laws are season ticket holders)....could have a local area product at QB this year. Following is link on Curt Phillips of Sullivan South of Kingsport, TN.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9013540

Edited by trublue

are now better in my opinion...new years bowl games are almost irrelevant anymore...Making a "new" years bowl game is not as prestigious anymore especially with bcs system....tv is dictating that big east looks like 1.bcs 2. champs 3 sun 4 menieke 5 st petersburgh ( vs sec), international, papa john etc....better deal than what they had plus nd only gets chance 1 in 4 years for champs and sun bowls

Ah, the pre'ten'd conference.....Wis-CONN-sin....as the midwesterners say....the Badgers (some of the in-laws are season ticket holders)....could have a local area product at QB this year. Following is link on Curt Phillips of Sullivan South of Kingsport, TN.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9013540

Good article, thanks for linking that!

Saying Michigan could beat anything is a stretch after last year.....worst season in school history! I think "Michigan could take a Big East #2 Squad this year." is ridiculous! Sure , maybe they are better, but could be worse. I know the BE isn't as strong and many teams have had some big departures, but many are reloading as well. The BE will be competitive this year with all they play. It may be a "down" year for a few of the teams, we'll see. Michigan might could compete for the bottom half of the conference. Just because they are Michigan isn't good enough excuse anymore!

Saying Michigan could beat anything is a stretch after last year.....worst season in school history! I think "Michigan could take a Big East #2 Squad this year." is ridiculous! Sure , maybe they are better, but could be worse. I know the BE isn't as strong and many teams have had some big departures, but many are reloading as well. The BE will be competitive this year with all they play. It may be a "down" year for a few of the teams, we'll see. Michigan might could compete for the bottom half of the conference. Just because they are Michigan isn't good enough excuse anymore!

Again, you cannot base this year's Michigan on last year's Michigan.

I personally think Michigan, as they stand now, is better than the Big East's #2.

I remember the last school that Rodriguez started coaching. They had an AWFUL first year. They had a MUCH better second year. The same will happen this time around too.

It's been said far too often, however...

Michigan's prestige + Rod's recruiting/system = success. Just wait...

I remember when Rod's head was wanted after his first few years of a not so hot system at WVU.

Guest JJBrickface
It's been said far too often, however...

Michigan's prestige + Rod's recruiting/system = success. Just wait...

I remember when Rod's head was wanted after his first few years of a not so hot system at WVU.

Then came along Pat White, Slaton, and Schmitt.

Then came along Pat White, Slaton, and Schmitt.

agreed.

I remember watching the '03 VT game and we would just pound the ball. Quincy Wilson, Then Kay Jay Harris. back and forth. The only pass I remember was like a 80 something yard touchdown pass. But other than that, back then we would pound the ball straight up the middle. With RR's system with PW,SS,OS,DR we'd do more outside runs and options and such.

Big East just lost the Sun Bowl. The ACC expansion is really starting to hurt the Big East and their bowl tie ins.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-10-245/Sun-Bowl-out-for-Big-East.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

Bad news for the Big East.

The Sun Bowl won't be taking the Big East's No. 3 team after all and instead has decided to sign on with the ACC for that league's No. 5 choice, Brett McMurphy is reporting in the Tampa Tribune.

"At the end of the day it was based on what overall we thought is best for the people of El Paso,” bowl committee chairman John Folmer told the paper. "We haven't seen the ACC in so long, we think it will be good.

"It was a hard decision -- 10 times harder than last time. We've made so many good friends in the Big East. They did everything in their power to make it happen and I think the ACC did also. It was just the matter of how our people felt at the end of the day and we wanted to go in a different direction.”

Obviously, this is a big blow to the Big East's plans. The league just officially agreed with the Champs Sports Bowl yesterday to send its No. 2 team to that game in Orlando, and the idea of taking its No. 3 to the Sun would have represented an upgrade over the previous agreement, in which the No. 2 team went to either the Sun or the Gator.

Now, though, the league could basically be trading the Gator/Sun alliance for the Champs Sports, with its No. 3 team still heading for the Meineke Car Care Bowl. The advantage is that the Champs Sports Bowl's Orlando location is more desirable than Jacksonville or El Paso, Texas. And that Notre Dame can only be taken once in four years, not twice as the Gator Bowl wanted.

But there's no doubt that the Gator is a higher-profile game than the Champs Sports, and the Sun has a lot more tradition. While we still don't know the rest of the new bowl lineup, it looks like the Big East will basically come away not much better than it was before if not worse. And considering that the last agreement was made when everybody questioned the new conference format's future, that's not a good sign at all.

I've been traveling all afternoon, but I'll try to find out more about this situation tomorrow morning.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-7-109/Big-East-still-shopping-for-No--3-bowl-slot.html

August 20, 2009 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

With the Sun Bowl reportedly close to finalizing a deal to take an ACC team instead of the Big East, the Big East needs a spot for its No. 3 team to go.

Right now, the No. 3 team goes to the Meineke Car Care Bowl. The Big East could keep that current arrangement when the new deals begin after this season, but the league would like to upgrade if possible. A person close to the conference's bowl negotiations told me that representatives from several games called the Big East office yesterday when news of the Sun Bowl deal broke.

Remember that every conference is renegotiating its affiliations for the next cycle after this season, so there could be some major shuffling going on. An advantage that the Big East has is that it can include Notre Dame in its deal for the No. 3. I know a lot of you get upset that the Irish are part of the league's postseason contracts, but in this case it may help the conference get a better slot than it could achieve on its own.

If the Big East has to stay in Charlotte with its No. 3 team, then Notre Dame would not be involved in that deal. And at that point, the league would have to try and broker good deals for its No. 4, 5 and 6 teams in order to say that it has significantly upgraded its overall lineup.

Because right now, the Big East's only bragging point is that it has moved from Jacksonville to Orlando and can lose a spot to Notre Dame only once in four years instead of twice. On the flip side, the payout for the Champs Sports Bowl will be less than the Gator, and the Gator is a more prestigious game that has a New Year's Day badge of honor.

Dominoes are still falling. Stay tuned.