Richlands/Gate City updates

trublue

Cody Johnson is not the QB. That simple. He is wayyyyyy too inconsistent throwing the ball. The flash and dazzle of the running has overshadowed this. Jack Vance has been in the system and knows what hes doing. That being said, the defensive tackling tonight was terrible. They had to have averaged about 4 yards a carry. Thats just my 10 min post-game reaction. Turnovers killed us too. Idk if it was jitters or if they dont hit that hard in WV but you gotta hold onto the ball. Congrats to Gate City. Well played game. Well coached. We had no answer to the run. Good luck the rest of the way with your season.

It's hard to get on track w/turn overs.... not taking care of the ball.....breakdown in plays were momentum stoppers. The decision to not go for the FG didn't cost us the game.....maybe would have tied it but not won it. Congrats to GC......total ground attack....don't believe they completed a pass. Both of GC's scores were on TO's.

Edited by trublue

Guest lookoutmountain

According to Houseright, Gate City doesn't have lots of speed and he stated Gate City would get back to it's old form/old school days of Ball Control/three yards in a cloud of dust-smashmouth offense and solid defense and special teams while limiting turnovers. That's Gate City football which is simliar to Virginia Tech football. Often people say, Virginia Tech wins ugly or seems to win some games when they seem to get outplayed. This type of style is exactly that and it looks ugly, but Gate City has been doing it as well as anyone for decades. Whenever an offense can run the ball and grind out yards on the ground for one team, it demoralizes the offensive speed on the other team and gives them less touches, less chances to make big plays. Add a few turnovers to that equation with an already limited amount of touches for a speedy and wide open offense and it can quickly give a team a loss.

For those who don't know anything about the 70's that was plane old Harry Fry football. Perfectly happy to gain 3 or 4 yards, keep the ball and make something break, remember several games from back then. They know how to get that 3 or 4 yards no matter how good a defense is. Add to it a consisent Houseright defense and these guys will win a bunch of games. I think Houseright played for Fry on the that state team in 70 and believe he is a VT alum as well as having two sons who played for VT.

Congrats to Gaty City. Wish our offense could have got on track and showed what they are capable of.

Edited by thundercloud

Cody Johnson is not the QB. That simple. He is wayyyyyy too inconsistent throwing the ball.

Wow! Didn't think it would only take a week for some fans to turn on their prized recruits.

Gotta give the kid some time, its his first game and it was against a great team. GC is definitely not the Iaegers and Mount Hopes that Big Creek is used to playing

Cody Johnson is not the QB. That simple. He is wayyyyyy too inconsistent throwing the ball. The flash and dazzle of the running has overshadowed this. Jack Vance has been in the system and knows what hes doing. That being said, the defensive tackling tonight was terrible. They had to have averaged about 4 yards a carry. Thats just my 10 min post-game reaction. Turnovers killed us too. Idk if it was jitters or if they dont hit that hard in WV but you gotta hold onto the ball. Congrats to Gate City. Well played game. Well coached. We had no answer to the run. Good luck the rest of the way with your season.

No! One player doesn't lose a game! There were lots of mistakes on offense. Not just one position. They will learn from it and go back to work. The defense allowed 10 points. You can't ask for much more than that.

I think that it wasn't the quarterback who was at fault tonight it was the offensive line. They did not block for cody every play he was rolling he was the only kid who scored a touch down tonight. So if he wasn't there it would have been 10-0. I Seen Bradley Strong intercept a pass from one of the johnson kids so there is alot of stuff going on in richlands. The kids need to mesh before something good is going to happen. I think the offensive line done great blocking for the vance kid thats why he made two big plays. Its not about cody right now its about the whole team becoming a unit. And shame on mance for not noticing his line not blocking. The only reason I would have pulled Cody was to let him get a break from the punishment the line was letting him have. This kid is a good football player but if you got 8 guys rushing with no blocking it dosen't matter who he quarterback is they are going to get punished. I hope that these kids can get over all the stupid stupid childish bull crap cause they could be something special later on.

I think that it wasn't the quarterback who was at fault tonight it was the offensive line. They did not block for cody every play he was rolling he was the only kid who scored a touch down tonight. So if he wasn't there it would have been 10-0. I Seen Bradley Strong intercept a pass from one of the johnson kids so there is alot of stuff going on in richlands. The kids need to mesh before something good is going to happen. I think the offensive line done great blocking for the vance kid thats why he made two big plays. Its not about cody right now its about the whole team becoming a unit. And shame on mance for not noticing his line not blocking. The only reason I would have pulled Cody was to let him get a break from the punishment the line was letting him have. This kid is a good football player but if you got 8 guys rushing with no blocking it dosen't matter who he quarterback is they are going to get punished. I hope that these kids can get over all the stupid stupid childish bull crap cause they could be something special later on.

How does B Strong intercept a pass from one of the Johnson kids -- they are on the same team -- Bradley may have thought the ball was coming to him.

I would agree - there is discord among this RHS team - it could possibly be that players have dedicated days, weeks, months, and even years to the "Mance Machine" and now he [Mance] doesn't hold up his end of the bargain. It is my experience that the kids usually know and accept who is the better player at whatever position -- no one likes losing especially after they have experienced and lived through two a days.

If you are the best and you earn the position -- you are accepted -- it's when other's feel that the position is 'given' to you or that you have not earned it that discord occurs.

I do find it funny that the Richlands Fans are already bashing their team. It's just like last year -- loose a game and loose fan support -- I posted about the Powell Valley game turnout earlier --

I do think that the fans need to understand that Gate City is a very good team -- with great football traditions.

Good Luck Next week to the Blues.

How does B Strong intercept a pass from one of the Johnson kids -- they are on the same team -- Bradley may have thought the ball was coming to him.

I would agree - there is discord among this RHS team - it could possibly be that players have dedicated days, weeks, months, and even years to the "Mance Machine" and now he [Mance] doesn't hold up his end of the bargain. It is my experience that the kids usually know and accept who is the better player at whatever position -- no one likes losing especially after they have experienced and lived through two a days.

If you are the best and you earn the position -- you are accepted -- it's when other's feel that the position is 'given' to you or that you have not earned it that discord occurs.

I do find it funny that the Richlands Fans are already bashing their team. It's just like last year -- loose a game and loose fan support -- I posted about the Powell Valley game turnout earlier --

I do think that the fans need to understand that Gate City is a very good team -- with great football traditions.

Good Luck Next week to the Blues.

If you were there you would have seen what I was talking about intercepting the ball. They don't trust each other and b strong went up and snatched the ball from the johnson kid it was crazy they hit each other.

If you were there you would have seen what I was talking about intercepting the ball. They don't trust each other and b strong went up and snatched the ball from the johnson kid it was crazy they hit each other.

Well I would expect that from papa smurfs little boy, he wants to be the star there!

I have to give the GC kids alot of credit. Both teams busted their tails out there tonight, and they'll both get better. I said the other day, they're absorbing everything the coaching staff is relaying to them. There were mistakes by both teams, and as I said earlier today BOTH teams will get better. We're not flashy, and honestly I don't want us to be. Cody Johnson has been hailed as a great QB, yet GC wins and people are wanting to bench him. I think both sides lined up across from a very good team.

I'm proud of our kids, and from everything I saw from Richlands, you guys should be very proud of them also.

BTW, first time we've gotten to see the changes to the stadium. You folks have an awesome place. Good luck the rest of the way.

It's hard to get on track w/turn overs.... not taking care of the ball.....breakdown in plays were momentum stoppers. The decision to not go for the FG didn't cost us the game.....maybe would have tied it but not won it. Congrats to GC......total ground attack....don't believe they completed a pass. Both of GC's scores were on TO's.

And Richlands score was due to a turnover also.

Richlands lost a game... IT HAPPENS!!! There are no trust issues and no one player deserves the blame. I really don't want to see Richlands fans pointing fingers over a 3 point loss to a good Gate City team (from the 1970's). Accept the loss and support the kids. Don't tear them down! They made mistakes but they will learn from them and be just fine.