Giles

MrSocko

I believe that Giles is in for a long season. Blacksburg and Christiansburg are good AA teams but team that Giles normally hangs with and beat a good amount of the time. Plus Floyd gave Christiansburg all they could handle last week. I believe it could be a long year for Giles.

yea i know a buddie from giles that playes for them he had high expections for them this year but u gatta think thats two good teams they started there seson out with this year so they will still do good , they will win some games this year ...good luck giles !!!!!!!

yeah,i always tell ppl watch out for giles..it really changed the way i saw high school football, when i went over there to watch a playoff game in 96 i had never saw anything like that...horns,cars around the field with lights on and off red everywhere..so much energy..shoot,i wanted to be a spartan..lol

May just be a temporary blip on the radar for Giles. But there are some serious problems this year in Pearisburg. There just seems to be no enthusiasm from the players this year, and when they got down against B'burg it really looked like for the most part that they just quit, players and coaches.

Granted, they played 2 very solid AA programs, teams that they probably should have lost to. The way they lost the games should really concern the Giles fans though.

No way do I believe the coaches quit. Williams is not that type. He was an assistant to Rags for years, if that had been his "M.O." he wouldn't have remained as a coach and he certainly would not have been recommended for and awarded the headcoaching position.

Giles played some very good AA teams these past two weeks (fans were singing a different tune after their scrimmage w/Princeton).....and yet b/c Giles didn't win these games or in fans opinions .....the kids didn't play as the fans expected.....something is wrong w/the program and the coaches are "just not motivating" these kids.

Giles has had some very talented players in the past.....but being in a smaller community....Giles is NOW competing w/the larger surrounding areas (such as a B-burg and C-burg) which are NOW more of a lure for families......and as the families go....so goes the kids.

These coaches put in countless hours away from a normal life and their families w/any compensation being negated by the insane hours required for these jobs.....I hope the fans try supporting the program through the rough periods as well as the good times.

Edited by trublue

Yeah, not a Giles fan at all, just went to the B'burg game to see the teams play. And sorry, by the end of the third quarter it looked pretty obvious that nobody on the Giles side was showing any emotion whatsoever, they were just going through the motions.

Been watching Giles games for years as either a neutral observer or an opposing fan when JM used to play them regularly. I've seen the talent be there, and I've seen it when it wasn't. But trust me when I tell you I've NEVER seen what I saw at that Blacksburg game. The players just seemed to quit, and at best the coaches just seemed resigned to that fact.

So, if Ragsdale was still at the helm these kids would be "layin' it all on the line" but since it's Willams and staff.....these kids are just not motivated to play for the present coaching staff like they would if it was the previous staff. I would hope that's not the case.

They are......but at some point in a game, in a struggling time, in life an individual has to decide how they want to be remembered in their efforts. You said the kids seem to quit....your words not mine....and quitters aren't necessarily in the mode for motivation.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. The only thing I disagree with is putting that burden entirely on the players in this case. As I said, the players and the coaches BOTH seemed to quit.

Like I said, I've been watching Giles play for years, the teams I've watched over the years were hard-nosed and kept coming after you no matter the score, and no matter whether they were outclassed talent wise or not. That started to slip last year a bit, and this year in the game I saw it was basically gone.

The only major difference between the teams I've watched for years compete their tails off win or lose, and the teams of the last two years is on the sideline......so that's where I draw my conclusions at.

My last response.....I only quoted what you said about the players quitting.....I certainly wasn't trying to solely put that burden on the kids.

However, I just don't believe ANY coaching staff will JUST quit coaching in a game......why would they....they're adults. I'm sure as adults, they've experienced disappointments in life....however, that's all losing a football game is.....a disappointing lost....not life defining. Their zeal might not be up to the same level as in a close game....but to say an entire coaching staff just quit.....I personally find that very hard to believe .

With the remaining games results, I hope that this conversation is forgotten and this board is talking about the winning season at Giles.

I agree with you completely, I hope Giles recovers from this and has a good season. You're a Richlands guy right? Sounds like you guys are off to another good season. Hope to see you make another deep run this year.

Good luck with that one, I'm guessing that's always a tough road trip.

Better bring your pass defense,and be ready for anything. James Colley's Tigers will throw everything at you but the proverbial kitchen sink. He's by far the most unorthodox coach in the state.