WVU vs. Auburn

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Truly intriguing matchup. If I was not going to the Marshall/BG game I would watch (is it being televised?).

So many unaswered questions. Can Gene Chizik rise up and meet the challenge of his first true test as a coach at Auburn?

Can Jarrett Brown lead the offense against a SEC defense? Will the defense for WVU be the great force they were supposed to be but have not shown for a full game?

Can they stop the Wildcat of Auburn???

Will WVU use this as a chance to get on the national stage for the first time this year???

Man, Im kinda upset ill miss this one and it is only tuesday, someone want to text me updates? Lol.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

This one is going to be a tough one for me to pick. I think this year's Auburn offense is head and shoulders better than they were at any time last year, and I don't know what to make of WVU's defense. It will have to get better to stop this Auburn offense. I do know Auburn is one of the best defenses in the SEC year in and year out, but they didn't show it last season. Going on what I've seen so far, I'm going with the Tigers at home...I think it will be close, but home field advantage might just be the difference.

I don't think any team will win big. One or the other will win by 10 or less...

I have faith in our run D, but not so much our passing D.

I think JB will do just fine on offense, i'm sure they will get use to the noise very quickly and execute their plays correct

WVU by 6

wvu is better than most think...but i also think auburn is better than most think...they're offensive coordinator is one of the sharpest minds in the game...my heart says wvu by slimmest of margin...but my real life head says auburn by 13

wvu is better than most think...but i also think auburn is better than most think...they're offensive coordinator is one of the sharpest minds in the game...my heart says wvu by slimmest of margin...but my real life head says auburn by 13

Your real life head has you watering virtual plants on facebook too. LOL, go with your heart!

I really think Auburn is on an upswing, especially with and Identity now on offense. WVU has been sloppy with penalties and such early. This will be a huge game for WVU and THE BIG EAST. WVU has a much better offense than most thought after losing PW and others over the past 3 years. The defense has been dissapointing to me, but looked much better the second half of the ECU game. Hopefully strides have been made this week and our Dline is healthy (had a few banged up last week). Auburn's run game is looking good, WVU's passing game is wonderful to compliment the run.

Come on Defense!

WVU wins in a heck of a battle......26-20

I think WVU had the better team....continuing to throw the ball when you're running successfully was not a good thing to do. Also, that middle screen got intercepted earlier in the game, they went back to it and ended up getting a pick 6....not a good move either.

West Virginia should have won, but made some critical mistakes, in my opinion.

Six turnovers against any D1 team is hard to overcome. Mistakes were the difference in the game. Auburn has improved on offense, and they were not bad on defense either. But if WVU had not made those critical turnovers, the outcome would have been entirely different.

simple got beat...not much too it...really disappointed in wvu's defense...ala missing two starters but still...really disappointed in their effort especially in secondary...however, if they clean things up capable of having real good year.

simple got beat...not much too it...really disappointed in wvu's defense...ala missing two starters but still...really disappointed in their effort especially in secondary...however, if they clean things up capable of having real good year.

The turnovers killed them. 6-1...granted the last one didn't matter, but 24 points off of the first 5 really killed them. 30-17 in WVUs favor w/o turnovers and that is if there was no scoring on offense. I really thought we should have stuck with the run more. Involve Jock, Clark, in addition to devine. I got a little upset with the offensive play calling in the second half.

I don't know the stats of the whole game and I didn't get to watch it but I did see about 15 min (not game time but TV time) and saw WVU run Devine straight up the middle and every run failed. Maybe it's just me, but running a 5'8, 176 pound back straight up the middle won't work.

The thing is, Devine was laying some lumber on a few of those runs, not just getting smashed. His very long touchdown run in the first half was a run up the middle. I think this is a pretty good WVU team and this was a tough loss for the Mountaineers, again in a very, very, very hostile SEC environment.

Yes, Jarrett Brown had a rough game, and I am glad no one is dogging him on his effort. One of the very few intelligent comments by the announcers all night was a comparison between Jarrett and Pat, saying that Jarrett was playing just as well as Pat was last year, but Pat had the special ability to protect the ball and not create turnovers.

The playing calling was very lacking at many points in this game. I know WVU has been a team of the screen and nothing down field in the past, but it should be different this year. We have big receivers, not Jock, that are able to get down the field and make some plays (Arnett, Lyons, Starks). It is very tough to run screens effectively against a defense as well coached and athletic as Auburn, or any SEC D, and when you run the same one you had previously thrown an INT on in a very important point in the game, that isn't smart at all.

Congrats to Auburn on a very tough win.

I really believe this could be a very good year for the Mountaineers, if they can come together as an entire team, coaches included, and execute with minimal mistakes, this could be a 10 win team and a possible challenger for the Big East.

Lets Go Mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WVU's secondary has needed to improve for the last few seasons. I'm not trying to knock any WVU supporter or whatever, but every year we all hear the same thing. "WVU's defense would be fine if the secondary would be better." Is it a problem with coaching or the players? You'd figure in a defensive system that has 5 defensive backs in at all times the pass defense would be superb.

Guest JJBrickface
WVU's secondary has needed to improve for the last few seasons. I'm not trying to knock any WVU supporter or whatever, but every year we all hear the same thing. "WVU's defense would be fine if the secondary would be better." Is it a problem with coaching or the players? You'd figure in a defensive system that has 5 defensive backs in at all times the pass defense would be superb.

The secondary was pretty good in 2007 and 2008. They were absolutely awful in 2006. They play a lot of zone in the 3-3-5 and I think that a lot of inexperienced players get out of position a lot of times.

I don't know the stats of the whole game and I didn't get to watch it but I did see about 15 min (not game time but TV time) and saw WVU run Devine straight up the middle and every run failed. Maybe it's just me, but running a 5'8, 176 pound back straight up the middle won't work.

Well, 15 mins TV time isn't much with commercials and all. Devine had a nice game. He ran 15 times for 128 yards. He had a 71 yard TD in the first that went right up the "middle." Depending on the type of offense you are running, a speedy back like devine is a great assest if you have the right blocking schemes. Running a 5'8 , 176 pound back up the middle can work if done correctly. As a matter of fact, had WVU done more of it against Auburn like they did last year against Auburn when Devine had 207 yards rushing....alot of which came between the tackles, we would have seen a similar outcome to last years game.

i didn't get to see the game, last year or this year, but of all those big runs he did have going "up the gut", how many did he bounce outside to get more yardage?

This is the first loss for WVU in the past 6 games vs. SEC teams....

This is the first loss for WVU in the past 6 games vs. SEC teams....

that didn't really answer my question. but thanks for that random fact that had nothing to do with what i asked!