Gate City @ Appalachia

Jason

I've seen both of these teams play this year, and here's my take. Gate City and Appy run pretty much the same offense. IMO, Appy doesn't match up well at all at the LOS on either side of the ball with GC. So, the advantage on both the O-Line and D-Line goes to GC. GC is better in the kicking game as well.As far as backs go, I think one is as good as the other...same for receivers. GC's QB is a better athlete than Appy's BUT IMO Appy's QB is a better passer and has pretty good touch on his passes. As far as DB's go, that's a push as well. GC should win this game by 2 or 3 TDs...the wild card in this game is Appy's speed and tackling. If they use their speed wisely and tackle better, this could be a tight one. I know that sounds crazy but consider that in thier game vs. JI Burton, Appy controlled the game pretty much until mid-3rd Quarter. (Burton only had the ball 4 mins in the 1st half and led 7-6 at halftime) Barring a couple of huge breakdowns on D and a couple of missed opportunities on O, that game could have turned out differently. Still, unless Appy plays flawlessly and GC makes more mistakes than we are accustomed to see them make, GC wins. My prediction: GC 33-Appy 20.

I thought GC would roll Lebanon by 28 or so...not sure what happened there, maybe the weather? I have not seen Appy play this year so don't really know what they have. GC is still the best team I've seen play this year.

Not blaming the loss on being the first game or anything but wouldn't you rather see the Richlands vs Gate City game about the middle of the season or near the end. Let both teams be at full steam ahead when they face off. One thing about it Gate City has been about the only team that has had the Blues number over the last 6 years.

well...it would be great to see that as the final game...but, the argument goes both ways...injuries could be huge by that point, it's a great "kickoff" game for the season, knowing one of the two will start out 0-1 and it will be week 3 before they can get back to a winning record is mentally something that will play on the losing team.

so, i dunno...either way it's a good game...I'd rather see it as first or last game of the year instead of like week 5 or something....kinda like the Graham vs Bluefield game...great opener for the season every year.

I would maybe like to see a tune up game first then the two clash second game of the year. It really came down to who is clicking at that time the last few years and it doesnt seem Richlands starts clicking until about the 3rd or 4th game. Not saying Richlands would win now either just food for thought.

Edited by Nadoball

that is a good point, but it shows to the importance of getting your team ready to play...both teams are usually pretty evenly matched overall so it puts some pressure on the coaches to get it all together for that first game...that adds a lot to the game I think. I also think it makes both teams a lot stronger out of the gate by giving them both a good level of competition to know where you need more work going in to the season...if there is a weak spot on either side, chances are the other team will find it.

would be cool to see that as a last game of the year though just to see how it plays out at that point.