Graham Football History?

Jason

This has probably been asked before but I have always been curious about it. I dont remember the year but I would like to know a little info on how the GMEN won the AAA state title. How did they choose teams then for the AAA playoffs? What was Grahams record and who all did they play and beat?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...at that time, there were no playoffs or classifications. The State Champion was determined by sports writers from across the state. Graham had finished the season #2 in the sports writers' poll behind Andrew Lewis HS of Salem. It was later determined that Andrew Lewis had used an ineligible player during the season and had to forfeit some games. By virtue of the forfeits and Graham being #2 in the sports writers' poll, the sports writers and the VHSL deemed Graham to be the State Champions for 1962.

I'm not sure what Graham's final record was that season but I do know they lost to Beaver (Bluefield before it became Bluefield HS) that season.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...at that time, there were no playoffs or classifications. The State Champion was determined by sports writers from across the state. Graham had finished the season #2 in the sports writers' poll behind Andrew Lewis HS of Salem. It was later determined that Andrew Lewis had used an ineligible player during the season and had to forfeit some games. By virtue of the forfeits and Graham being #2 in the sports writers' poll, the sports writers and the VHSL deemed Graham to be the State Champions for 1962.

I'm not sure what Graham's final record was that season but I do know they lost to Beaver (Bluefield before it became Bluefield HS) that season.

Has Graham ever been AAA?

Graham went 9-1 that year and lost to Halifax....if my source is correct and yes....I believe there was only 1 state champion in those days....Graham has never been classified as AAA.

Back before three classes (i.e. the 60s), did VHSL schools ever play in like a one-game "playoff" similar to a bowl game?

I vaguely remember people telling me about them when I was younger.

AAA state champs didn't start until 1970.

Graham woulda been the "Group 1" champs ... the smaller schools, like Garden, were "Group 2".

The '62 team barely beat Tazewell 7-6.

Don Necessary said they went 8-2, but Marshall Johnson said 9-1. Maybe, in some box somewhere, I have more info on that.

I think no offiicial playoff games were held b4 1970, although there were post-season "bowl" games in places like Richmond, NoVa and/or Tidewater (again, I'd have to dig).

I do rem. Richmond had a Thanksgiving "bowl game" in 1970, held after the playoffs had started.

Edited by VHSLhelper

Graham lost twice in 1962, Andrew Lewis, who it was determined used an ineligible player, and Bluefield. Old timers told me the big play in the game was a fake punt scored by Bluefield. Ironically, the very same fake punt was used against Graham in the state championship game against Harrisonburg 39 years later. It was once again a touchdown. Tim Sarver was Harrisonburg's coach, and a player on the 62 state title team at Beaver. Graham also finished #2 in the state in 1958 losing out to Hermitage of Richmond in the vote of sportswriters. That team was undefeated.

AAA state champs didn't start until 1970.

Graham woulda been the "Group 1" champs ... the smaller schools, like Garden, were "Group 2".

There was only one division in football from 1920-1969. Basketball had multiple divisions. Graham won the Division II State Championship in 1956 in basketball. The smaller schools like Garden played in Division III until 1970.

I think no offiicial playoff games were held b4 1970, although there were post-season "bowl" games in places like Richmond, NoVa and/or Tidewater (again, I'd have to dig).

I do rem. Richmond had a Thanksgiving "bowl game" in 1970, held after the playoffs had started.

There were "championship games" from 1920-1926. From 1927-1964, the Champion was determined by vote. From 1965, '66, and '69, there were championship games played, but for some reason, they were not played in 1967 or 1968. The first AAA champion in 1970 was also determined by vote. Playoffs have been held in AA and A every year since 1970, and every year in AAA since 1971.

Graham went 9-1 that year and lost to Halifax....if my source is correct and yes....I believe there was only 1 state champion in those days....Graham has never been classified as AAA.

I don't ever recall seeing Halifax on any of the old Graham schedules...but I could be wrong.

There was a year between 1959-1962 that Graham and Saltville either tied in a game or were SWD co-champs. It doesn't exactly tie into the question, I just thought it was interesting.

1961...Graham and Saltville tied 7-7. Graham was 4-0 coming into that game and then lost their next two after it (Grundy and Andrew Lewis) and finished the season 7-2-1.

There was only one division in football from 1920-1969. Basketball had multiple divisions. Graham won the Division II State Championship in 1956 in basketball. The smaller schools like Garden played in Division III until 1970.

Yeah, I pulled out the basketball sheet by mistake on the Group II stuff - was in a hurry.

The first AAA champion in 1970 was also determined by vote.

The 1970 AAA title wasn't decided by vote, AND it wasn't done on the field.

All 4 Regions had a championship game.

N.W.ern : James Wood (10-0-1) 25, William Fleming 6 (Sat., 11/21)

Central : Henrico (10-1) 20, Thomas Dale (9-2) 8 (Wed., 11/25)

Northern : George Marshall (10-1) 26, Thomas Edison (8-3) 2 (Sat., 11/28)

Eastern : problem - had regular season games set for Thanksgiving Day with great teams...

Newport News (8-2) upset (9-1) Hampton 16-7 & (10-0) Maury beat (4-5-1) Granby 54-26.

That put Maury in the finals against 9-1 Woodrow Wilson.

Wilson won the game at Norfolk's Foreman Field 16-6 on Dec 4th, the same weekend the A & AA title games were played. Since Wood was the only team left that had zero losses, and had the best winning % (.9545 to .9091), they were declared state champs.