2 RAVENSWOOD 109 6 0 0 11.50

2 WAYNE 141 6 0 0 11.50

4 FRANKFORT 36 6 0 0 10.50

5 MAGNOLIA 71 6 0 0 10.17

6 WESTSIDE HIGH SCHOOL 417 6 1 0 9.43

7 JAMES MONROE 348 5 1 0 8.50

8 KEYSER 64 4 2 0 8.17

9 BLUEFIELD 7 4 2 0 7.67

Sherman #1? No way. Am I missing something? All these undefeated teams? Is everyone playing cupcakes except Bluefield? Westsid wont lose again and they lost to a single A team! Even JM fans will tell you they are way down...

Dont get me wrong, I know Magnolia is good... but the other undefeateds? And the fact that they have more points than magnolia??? what is up guys?

What a Joke...

1 SHERMAN 119 6 0 0 11.67

2 RAVENSWOOD 109 6 0 0 11.50

2 WAYNE 141 6 0 0 11.50

4 FRANKFORT 36 6 0 0 10.50

5 MAGNOLIA 71 6 0 0 10.17

6 WESTSIDE HIGH SCHOOL 417 6 1 0 9.43

7 JAMES MONROE 348 5 1 0 8.50

8 KEYSER 64 4 2 0 8.17

9 BLUEFIELD 7 4 2 0 7.67

Sherman #1? No way. Am I missing something? All these undefeated teams? Is everyone playing cupcakes except Bluefield? Westsid wont lose again and they lost to a single A team! Even JM fans will tell you they are way down...

Dont get me wrong, I know Magnolia is good... but the other undefeateds? And the fact that they have more points than magnolia??? what is up guys?

Well, the teams Bluefield has beaten aren't helping their cause at all with the points. Graham 1-5, Princeton 2-4, G. East 2-5, Mt. View 1-6

The points system is ridiculous. Sure, the teams Bluefield has beaten aren't the best, but the teams they've played close to and lost are very, very good and would destroy any team in WV. It's a shame strength of schedule doesn't play into the rankings.

That's all that matters, that way you can hopefully play those folks and show them how good you are.

That's why playoff systems rock, sometimes the rankings/ratings are somewhat subjective, but just get in and let the play speak for itself.

Exactly!

The only thing the Beavers can control is how they prepare and play every week to win the game at hand. If they do that, their play will speak for itself. If they are the best team in the state, then they will win the championship.

I've been trying to tell the Westside fans on WVPreps all week that they aren't as good as they think they are...has kinda turned into a G-Man vs. Wyoming Co. thing now...they can't handle me or the truth...

If Bluefield can win out they should end up in the top 5 which would mean home field for at least 2 rounds in the playoffs. Bluefield to me always seems like a different beast at Mitchell Stadium.

will always face scheduling problems because most teams are scared to play them.....they just have to hope that most years they can win 8 games and that should give them at least 2 home playoff games on most years......it would be nice to see a southern wv aa conference play in wv and make these teams play....james monroe, shady, liberty, oak hill, independance, pikeview, the new school of ieager and big creek, wyoming east and west, i am sure i am forgetting a team or 2 close by....and then bluefield keep graham and princeton and tha is a nice schedule every year.......all of those teams could benifit from a game with the beavers to test themselves each year......but that is the responsibility of the ssac and they are supposed to represent what is best for high school sports but i fail to see it year in and year out.

will always face scheduling problems because most teams are scared to play them.....they just have to hope that most years they can win 8 games and that should give them at least 2 home playoff games on most years......it would be nice to see a southern wv aa conference play in wv and make these teams play....james monroe, shady, liberty, oak hill, independance, pikeview, the new school of ieager and big creek, wyoming east and west, i am sure i am forgetting a team or 2 close by....and then bluefield keep graham and princeton and tha is a nice schedule every year.......all of those teams could benifit from a game with the beavers to test themselves each year......but that is the responsibility of the ssac and they are supposed to represent what is best for high school sports but i fail to see it year in and year out.

I have to disagree completely, with all due respect, such a schedule would reduce bluefield's overall caliber in my opinion, they simply wouldn't gain much by playing those teams. They're much more prepared and much better by playing a much harder schedule. It's not easy for them to schedule games, but they do get it done and I enjoy the diversity of the different teams they play.

Bluefield would hang 40 points on any of the teams ranked ahead of them in the rankings.

I don't know about that. Magnolia and Wayne would be tough games for Bluefield and don't overlook James Monroe either.

I have to disagree completely, with all due respect, such a schedule would reduce bluefield's overall caliber in my opinion, they simply wouldn't gain much by playing those teams. They're much more prepared and much better by playing a much harder schedule. It's not easy for them to schedule games, but they do get it done and I enjoy the diversity of the different teams they play.

i just think it is a shame that their are so many teams in AA in southern wv that wont play bluefield.....and even when they do it is usually a 2 year deal and then they are gone from the schedule again.......the advantage i would see is bluefield would have a chance to finish in the top 4 teams almost every year and then have home playoff games that they deserve to have.....you would get alot of points from these teams knocking off each other through the year....but it doesnt matter because most of them will never play bluefield anyway year in and year out.

Remember how the boys basketball coaches voted and screw Pocahontas County and Meadow Bridge last year. If they let the coaches vote they would probably keep Bluefield out of the playoffs for fear of them. What the rankings need to incorporate that they dont is a close lose to a quality team. Right now only victories get you points so anyone that you schedule that beats you, while it may help your team improve, is useless as far as the points go.

The Gate City game didn't help any either...

I think it helped in the run to the playoffs. We could have played Shady and won by 60, or played a tough GC team and had a hell of a wake up call. Glad we played GC.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Remember how the boys basketball coaches voted and screw Pocahontas County and Meadow Bridge last year. If they let the coaches vote they would probably keep Bluefield out of the playoffs for fear of them. What the rankings need to incorporate that they dont is a close lose to a quality team. Right now only victories get you points so anyone that you schedule that beats you, while it may help your team improve, is useless as far as the points go.

I agree. It would be hard to give points to a close loss, but doesnt VA have a system where you get like half the points from a team you lose to? Call me crazy but I think that would help...

I've been trying to tell the Westside fans on WVPreps all week that they aren't as good as they think they are...has kinda turned into a G-Man vs. Wyoming Co. thing now...they can't handle me or the truth...

HA!

I cant get you to answer me on WVPreps, so maybe I can get you to answer here?

ya know I've noticed you've only singled out Westside, why is that?....this is the 2nd time we the Westside folks have been down this road with you G-man?

you cannot show no one but one or two guys outta the 10 or 12 posters that support Westside over on WVP that's been crazy enough to say we'll go all the way and do well?!

I mean yes we hope that, but personally i think most are like me and dont expect it, it's as i've been saying to you over and over and over again, at the start of our season just getting to the playoffs was our goal, anything after playoffs will be icing on the cake?!

i mean i can see your annoyance with khandfe over there and even with coach skip, but seriously most of us, including skip, have said WS's skd. is that dominating?

i mean what more do you want from us?

as i said to you over there, some of the bluefield posters have said they are content with no playing the likes of the Westsides, Wyoming Easts, etc. cause then it would make bluefield's skd as weak as ours?

i just dont get what else you want from the Westside posters over there?

it's good that yall are enjoying a successful season, I agree you should enjoy it while you're having it..

As for bluefield's schedule, it's not that all the games would be easy against a lot of wv aa teams, every season there would be some teams that were strong and be a competitive game, such as yall this season, but in my honest opinion the consistency isn't there in many of these programs enough. james monroe is consistently a strong team, and even scott has proven to be a higher ranked aa team in most seasons, but outside of them there really isn't that consistency. In my honest opinion even mt. view is border line as a team to schedule anymore, their program seems to be down and with the #s so low not certain they'll be competitive as they used to be, at least not consistently anymore.

But that said bluefield will have to be careful and not overlook westside or any of the aa contenders in '09.

I think it helped in the run to the playoffs. We could have played Shady and won by 60, or played a tough GC team and had a hell of a wake up call. Glad we played GC.

i was just saying the GC game didn't help you in the ratings...that was a tuff game to schedule and probably learned a lot from it, but just saying...as far as the rankings go it probably hurt in the big picture....ya know?

it's good that yall are enjoying a successful season, I agree you should enjoy it while you're having it..

As for bluefield's schedule, it's not that all the games would be easy against a lot of wv aa teams, every season there would be some teams that were strong and be a competitive game, such as yall this season, but in my honest opinion the consistency isn't there in many of these programs enough. james monroe is consistently a strong team, and even scott has proven to be a higher ranked aa team in most seasons, but outside of them there really isn't that consistency. In my honest opinion even mt. view is border line as a team to schedule anymore, their program seems to be down and with the #s so low not certain they'll be competitive as they used to be, at least not consistently anymore.

But that said bluefield will have to be careful and not overlook westside or any of the aa contenders in '09.

I appreciate your kind words buzz, idk if you've read G-man's comments over on WVPreps or not, but there's been a lot of hate and i feel it all comes solely from the likes of Westside among other teams not willing to face Bluefield in the regular season and for playing the "cupcake" skd. that we play.

it's rather funny, but i think he's more tore up about Westside's skd. than any Westside poster over there is. I mean it's not like we the fans could do anything about it, even if we wanted to play Bluefield year in and year out.

and as you said, it's not every year there'd be a Westside team like this. The last time that was as good as this is, was prolly our 03 team, that Bluefield dismantled.

in 05 we made the playoffs yet again, to only lose by a TD...i know i know folks a lost is still a lost and we lost cause of our cupcake skd., right?...i know!

last year we should be in the playoffs but we took to many teams for granted i do believe.

this year Westside has looked a lot better compaired to last seasons team.

yes we lost to single A team in Man, but i think a lot of teams out there would have trouble with the way Man was playing early in the season.

and despite what G-man wants to think Pikeview is a much improved ball club who could make some noise in playoffs, with that option play they got.

Liberty ® will make a playoff push but be put out early i do believe.

Gilbert by all rights could still make playoffs if they wanted.

as could Ieager who is looking good in their last season!

no it's not the best skd mr. g-man but look at all of AA, aside from Bluefield and Scott who plays a really daunting skd?....no one.

everyone has "cupcakes" in their own area....and that's been my point in trying to make the whole time, you (G-man) wanna call out Westside for their cupcake skd. BUT if everyone around Blfd said hey yeah we'll face you and accept the beating you guys will hand us, then Bluefield would be looked upon having one of those cupcake skds too.

just something to think about.

...doesnt VA have a system where you get like half the points from a team you lose to? Call me crazy but I think that would help...

Yeah. Our system gives you points just for playing someone - A=4, AA=8, AAA=12, then 12 more pts for a win. We also get rider points from teams we lost to.

Back in the 70's & 80's, we had the same point system WV has now.

Yeah. Our system gives you points just for playing someone - A=4, AA=8, AAA=12, then 12 more pts for a win. We also get rider points from teams we lost to.

Back in the 70's & 80's, we had the same point system WV has now.

I've not posted in awhile due to being out-of-town as well as this and that. I've said for years now that the WV playoff system is much better than most other states, but needs to be tweaked. My idea for a tweaked system would work like this. A team gets "bonus points" for an opponent's number of victories, win or lose the game. If they do win the game then they would also receive the 6, 9, or 12 points based on the classification of that team.

Under the current system Bluefield receives no points for playing and losing to Gate City and Charlotte Country Day. Under my system Bluefield would be rewarded for playing such stiff competition and receive points for the number of wins each has. It would reward the teams that believe in playing competition instead of scheduling cupcakes just to make the playoffs. It would also make for much more interesting and entertaining playoff games in the early rounds. Depending on how the final weeks play out there are going to be some brutal beatings in the first and second rounds of the WV "AA" playoffs come November.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Dead on Rules.

And not to be an complete jerk, but I just have to say this... Bluefield beats Westside by over 4 Tds. Without Beckett.

I read over there on WV preps, dont post often cause Im too lazy to log in and I think the reading level on that board is way lower than this one. You get too many dumb HS kids and fathers who think their kid is a world beater when really they cant sniff the top ten. But still, it is annoying to hear about WS all the time.

We, and i think I speak for most of us, want to see them play someone. Its sad when my WS friends tell me before the season, and I quote...

WS Alum: "Westside will probably go undefeated this year..."

Me: "No way. They are that improved???"

WS Alum: "Yeah, they are somewhat better, but they play no one. (He literally laughs)"

So what I think we want to see, and the consensus from this board is that if you dont play tough competition, dont act like you are gods. Not saying that is you Renegade, but Kandfe, holy cow. And no, we dont just pick on WS, ask JM fans about our general hatred for their weak scheduling.

Dead on Rules.

And not to be an complete jerk, but I just have to say this... Bluefield beats Westside by over 4 Tds. Without Beckett.

I read over there on WV preps, dont post often cause Im too lazy to log in and I think the reading level on that board is way lower than this one. You get too many dumb HS kids and fathers who think their kid is a world beater when really they cant sniff the top ten. But still, it is annoying to hear about WS all the time.

We, and i think I speak for most of us, want to see them play someone. Its sad when my WS friends tell me before the season, and I quote...

WS Alum: "Westside will probably go undefeated this year..."

Me: "No way. They are that improved???"

WS Alum: "Yeah, they are somewhat better, but they play no one. (He literally laughs)"

So what I think we want to see, and the consensus from this board is that if you dont play tough competition, dont act like you are gods. Not saying that is you Renegade, but Kandfe, holy cow. And no, we dont just pick on WS, ask JM fans about our general hatred for their weak scheduling.

my biggest gripe is this, I'm out the realist fans of Westside, I'm one of those who will tell you we dont play a schedule like Bluefield or even the likes of Scott, if anyone would look outside of Bluefield, Scott has the toughest AA skd this year. they played us, JM, Wayne, Bluefield, among others. we've or at least I've admitted to the lack of SOS. but as i said it's not like me as a fan can change things.

G-man over in his post on WVP has said how WS runs and hides from Bluefield, and how that we wont play them and says derogatory comments to the county and ppl and that's what kinda got me fired up. Not the fact he doesnt think Whitten isnt good or that he hates on Westside, i could careless about that stuff, but it's the fact i dont think he's not stopping to think IF all these teams that surround Bluefiled was to play them year in and out, lets face it Bluefield would be undefeated most seasons but they'd be like other teams and not be battled tested and be like others in AA he refers to about having weak SOS.

listen as i said i know Westside is no where near the playing level Bluefield is, but we're taking the baby steps in trying to be. unlike Bluefield we've not had the best midget league programs, we had coaches who would just teach them whatever and every year they was having to learn a new set of plays and everything. the last few years its been set up where the plays the learn when they are young will be the same plays they are playing with their in high school (just like bluefield does)....i know, call us copycats if ya want, but i mean you cant argue with success, if it's worked for them, why not try it?...lol

will we reap from the benefits of this next yr?

not even, we'll be a 5-5 team at best 6-4 maybe...if we're anything above that i'll be surprised, because we lose so much to graduation, but as i said it's a work in progress. first it's the thing of playing the same plays consist every year. after that and they get better each year, maybe the coaching staff will play bigger named AA teams.

I know the rumors are that Larry Cook is the next head coach at Westside, whenever Coach Thomas decides that enough is enough as a head coach. I'd be willing to say Cook will shake some things up in the schedule. I could be wrong, but dont think I am.

as for everything else you said

i agree khandfe has been way outta line and over baring, and has gave us a bad name/bad rep over there. I've tried explaining to everyone, including G-man that not all of us sane Westside supports thinks we can hang with the likes of Bluefield, Wayne, or Magnolia.....when Khandfe said we want Bluefield, i thought oh no you just didnt go there....i was like aw geez.....i mean it reminds me of the basketball playoffs when Bluefield chanted after winning the first round at states the fans was like "we want westside" the next night Westside thumped them....and then the fans of Westside was cocky enough to say "we want Logan" and we got beat in the title game......it always seems like the over confident fans team is the one who gets throttled, lol......but i can say most of us have tried calming him (khandfe) down but now that we tried doing that, we got some of the board turning on us for doing so, go figure?

as for Skip and G-man's war of words, I wish one of them would be the bigger man and just let it go and forget about it, cause there battles over there are about to get as old as khandfe's post, lol!

i just want the bluefield base to know not everyone who supports Westside is like khandfe, I got great respect for them and their success, i mean you cant help but to....they are always in the hunt...year in and out....and just know they are gonna be one of the final teams standing when the smoke clears.

I encourage anyone go look on register herald through the archives and you'll see where coach Thomas said his goal is to get this group of seniors to the playoffs, and as i've said all season long, playoffs is the goal anything else after that will be icing on the cake.