Who deserves to be in playoffs D2

Bigfootballfan

As it stands right now.....Gate city is in at #1 and most likely Lebanon at #2. That leaves three teams maybe four trying to get in; VHS, PV, JJK, and Honaker. Which 2 teams deserve to be in the playoffs and could give some GC and Lebanon a challenge????

As it stands right now.....Gate city is in at #1 and most likely Lebanon at #2. That leaves three teams maybe four trying to get in; VHS, PV, JJK, and Honaker. Which 2 teams deserve to be in the playoffs and could give some GC and Lebanon a challenge????

Not Honaker

I would rank Powell Valley as the third best team in Division 2 - but they were soundly beaten by GC.

With Pinkston out and sophomore QB Huff hurt, the Vikes played their worst game of the season last Friday night. The younger PV linemen showed their inexpereince and GC was able to play ball control football. Down 21 zip, it was the first time this year that the game was over by halftime for the Viking squad.

It has been a rough season for Viking fans and yet it is still possible for the Vikings to avoid a losing record and/or make the post season playoffs. The highlight of this season for PV seniors will likely be the shutout win at Wise over previously unbeaten JJK for their coach's 300th victory.

Well here is my thoughts on it, I think the 4 teams should be; Gate City, Lebanon, VHS and Powell Valley. The first 2 speaks for there selves but as for VHS and PV, VHS should finish at 6-4, the 4 games they lost were to #1 5a team in TN, #2-3 and #7-8 team in region D in the state, And the #1 team with in Region C rating points. Two of those games could have went either way at the end of the game but they didn't. As for PV they play a tough schedule and I believe they are a stronger team than JJ Kelly. I don't think Hoanker and hope Honaker doesn't get a chance to play...they don't desreve it as of right now!!!

Well here is my thoughts on it, I think the 4 teams should be; Gate City, Lebanon, VHS and Powell Valley. The first 2 speaks for there selves but as for VHS and PV, VHS should finish at 6-4, the 4 games they lost were to #1 5a team in TN, #2-3 and #7-8 team in region D in the state, And the #1 team with in Region C rating points. Two of those games could have went either way at the end of the game but they didn't. As for PV they play a tough schedule and I believe they are a stronger team than JJ Kelly. I don't think Hoanker and hope Honaker doesn't get a chance to play...they don't desreve it as of right now!!!

I concur?, concurr?, what BigFootballFan said.

1. Gate City

2. Lebanon

3/4. Powell Valley

3/4. J. J. Kelly

I split PV and JJK b/c if Kelly beats Burton then they will have beaten a team that beat PV. Also if JJK wins out they will be 8-2 and will have lost their only two games by a total of 17 points (still a big if). But JJK's schedule has been weak (unlike their defense which is seemingly pretty tough). PV got off to a pretty horrible start, but they've come along since then (despite their loss to GC). JJK has the biggest chance of not winning out. If they don't, that would change my mind on how deserving they are.

I left VHS out because they have left me pretty unimpressed. Yes, they performed extremely well in their game against GC, but they still lost. They got spanked by TN High (which should've happened, THS is a top team) and Lebanon (who is good, but shouldn't be drilling any playoff contender). They lost to Chillhowie and barely got by Graham (not the program it once was). If Honaker gets in this year because they win the BDD, then that should tell a lot of people that we need to go to a 6 team playoff. Honestly I think VHS, PV, and JJK all deserve spots.

Edited by TennHoo

I am going to have to disagree that JJ Kelly is all that deserving. The first 6 games they played were cakewalkes, If VHS played those level teams they would be already in. I truly believe that JJK has a strong chance at making it in but as many have said..."wait till they play somebody..." Well when that started happening look at what unfolded....2 strait loses...And one coming to a PV team that is really down this year...On behalf of VHS they play a tough schedule, they play 3 AA schools, 1 AAA school, and all the rest are A Div. 2 teams.......I would love for them to have some Div 1 schools....But it's not that way..

Anyway it goes if JJK wins out I would say the desrve it, But other than that I have to disagree!!!!

I am going to have to disagree that JJ Kelly is all that deserving. The first 6 games they played were cakewalkes, If VHS played those level teams they would be already in. I truly believe that JJK has a strong chance at making it in but as many have said..."wait till they play somebody..." Well when that started happening look at what unfolded....2 strait loses...And one coming to a PV team that is really down this year...On behalf of VHS they play a tough schedule, they play 3 AA schools, 1 AAA school, and all the rest are A Div. 2 teams.......I would love for them to have some Div 1 schools....But it's not that way..

Anyway it goes if JJK wins out I would say the desrve it, But other than that I have to disagree!!!!

I think last Friday showed JJK deserving. We outplayed Clintwood,and lost a nail-biter on the road via a call that many question. The TRIBE lost a slop-bowl vs PV in one of those games where anything can happen. Most consider Clintwood one of the best in the area. If JJK wins at Appy and at Norton,they deserve to be in at 8-2.

I think last Friday showed JJK deserving. We outplayed Clintwood,and lost a nail-biter on the road via a call that many question. The TRIBE lost a slop-bowl vs PV in one of those games where anything can happen. Most consider Clintwood one of the best in the area. If JJK wins at Appy and at Norton,they deserve to be in at 8-2.

Dont know how you can say you outplayed Clintwood. Clintwood had more total yards ,you had more total punts. Clintwood held you on 4th and about a foot and you could not convert. Clintwood committed a costly turnover, an interception for a td. Clintwood held you scoreless the entire second half. The call you call questionable was plainly evident if you watched film. Your coach who lost control cost you 15 precious yards that you really could have used. The Kelly team did impress me. I thought they played Clintwood much better than Powell Valley .Dont see how the Vikings beat you guys, you deserve to be in the playoffs over Honaker and Powell Valley. Even if you just win one of your final two games ,I feel you deserve the playoffs:)

Dont know how you can say you outplayed Clintwood. Clintwood had more total yards ,you had more total punts. Clintwood held you on 4th and about a foot and you could not convert. Clintwood committed a costly turnover, an interception for a td. Clintwood held you scoreless the entire second half. The call you call questionable was plainly evident if you watched film. Your coach who lost control cost you 15 precious yards that you really could have used. The Kelly team did impress me. I thought they played Clintwood much better than Powell Valley .Dont see how the Vikings beat you guys, you deserve to be in the playoffs over Honaker and Powell Valley. Even if you just win one of your final two games ,I feel you deserve the playoffs:)

Let's not forget that 1 Wave TD was set up via short field after a JJK costly turnover(countering the pick 6) Your own coach admitted that JJK whipped 'em up front most of the game. The powerful Wave rushing attack had less yards (just 85) than ours. As for the call? That depends on who you are. Green will see it one way,and red another. One thing we can agree on though: It was a war between 2 good teams,and neither deserved to lose (but somebody had to)

Article in the Coalfield Progress by Quinn Reynolds

Clintwood emerges with win from LPD thriller

By: Quinn Reynolds/Sports Writer

CLINTWOOD — The Clintwood Greenwave remained on top of the Lonesome Pine District standings Friday night with a hard-fought 17-13 victory that was not decided until the final seconds of the game against a very tough J.J. Kelly team at Ralph Cummins Stadium.

Clintwood's victory came after Kelly's Indians went to the air late and had an apparent 70-yard, go-ahead touchdown erased by a block-in-the-back penalty on a pass play with three minutes remaining in the game. The Indians could not recover.

“Wow! That was one heck of a game against a very good J.J. Kelly football team,” said a relieved Clintwood head coach Rick Mullins. “They whipped us up front most of the game. But our defense kept us in the game and we made enough plays offensively to win the game.”

The Wave defense was the first to flex its muscles as Cameron Vanover picked off a pass from his linebacker position to give the home club great field position.

The Greenwave (7-1, 3-0) started the possession from J.J. Kelly’s 15-yard line. After a short gain by Justin Reed, Clintwood went to its big fullback Austin Dotson. Dotson took the hand-off from the 9-yard line and carried tacklers into the end zone for the touchdown. Nick Lewis split the uprights to give the Wave a 7-0 lead with 4:20 remaining in the first quarter.

J.J. Kelly (6-2, 1-2) made some noise with its defense on Clintwood’s next possession by forcing and recovering a fumble at the Wave’s 33-yard line.

Running backs Lucas Kerns and Alex McArthur made nice runs down the Wave’s 5-yard line. Kerns took care of it from there as he followed his blockers to perfection and went over the right side for the score. Weston Mullins split the uprights to knot the score at 7-7.

Kelly coach B.I. Salyers gambled on fourth-and-one on his own 41-yard line on the Indians' next possession. The Wave defense stiffened and stopped the Indians for no gain.

Clintwood went straight to the air to try to catch the Indians thinking run. However, J.J. Kelly’s Cody Williams blitzed from his linebacker position and nailed the quarterback as he threw, causing the ball to sail over the receiver's head.

Defensive back Brandon Osborne was there to intercept the errant throw and race 80 yards down the sideline for the defensive touchdown. The kick was blocked as the visitors took the lead 13-7 with 5:35 remaining in the second quarter.

The Wave responded by going into a hurry-up offense as they moved the ball down the field to the Indians' 17-yard line. With 19 seconds on the clock, Lewis lined up and nailed a 34-yard field goal to cut into the Indian lead to 13-10 at halftime.

“This is a very tough loss, but I am very proud of my kids,” said Kelly's Salyers. “We really played very hard tonight and I thought that we played good enough to get the win.”

After an Austin Dotson interception gave Clintwood the ball at the Indians 24 in the third quarter, Greenwave quarterback Trey Meade found J.T. Fleming in the flat and Fleming scampered 24-yards for the touchdown with two minutes left in the third quarter which ended up being the decisive touchdown

Edited by Unchained

Let's not forget that 1 Wave TD was set up via short field after a JJK costly turnover(countering the pick 6) Your own coach admitted that JJK whipped 'em up front most of the game.

The only points not setup by a turnover on a short field was the FG at half time by Clintwood IMHO both teams played a heck of a defencave game

IMHO Kelly D Line whipped Clintwoods O Line but I can't say that Kellys O Line whipped Clintwoods D Line..... I think that was a spanking the other way although I think the Kelly OLine made a better showing than the Clintwood OLine

Kelly has a tough team but they need to step it up the last 2 weeks of the season and prove that they diserve a playoff spot

How does that make them deserving? They lost to a team everyone else in the district has lost to so far. If Jelly finishes 8-2, yes they deserve to be in...anything less, no they don't. And you can downplay the loss to PV all ya want, but slop bowl or not, if you guys were the better team you would have at least scored. Sometimes you have to play in slop too..it was Jelly's decision to play on that field. But, when it comes to football, IMO you should play on grass in whatever the weather happens to be. Can't make an excuse cuz of the weather..it isn't like it only rained on Jelly that night.

Edited by sup_rbeast

Shouldn't PV get in if they win out and finish 5-5. Right now PV, JI Burton, and Clintwood have one district loss each. With PV having a win against JI Burton and JI Burton beating Clintwood. Although Clintwood beat PV doesn't PV win the LPD and get in as a district champion since they beat Burton head to head and Burton beat Clintwood? Is there a tie breaker to be district champion or is there still the co-champion thing? Someone clue me in as to how the district champion would work here............

Shouldn't PV get in if they win out and finish 5-5. Right now PV, JI Burton, and Clintwood have one district loss each. With PV having a win against JI Burton and JI Burton beating Clintwood. Although Clintwood beat PV doesn't PV win the LPD and get in as a district champion since they beat Burton head to head and Burton beat Clintwood? Is there a tie breaker to be district champion or is there still the co-champion thing? Someone clue me in as to how the district champion would work here............

District tie-breakers are determined by VHSL ratings points...the tied team with the highest rating would get the nod as District Champ.

District tie-breakers are determined by VHSL ratings points...the tied team with the highest rating would get the nod as District Champ.

It's been a while since I've been on the VHSL website. Thanks for the info.