Is there anyway that Region D could go to a 6 team playoff system this year?

dogtalk

Is there anyway Region D could go to a 6 team playoff system like region 3 and 4.....It would be more money and more teams would get in. I know a lot of it is about money anyway. I think it is a win win situation for everyone. Let 1 and 2 seed have a bye first round. Region D is the region that needs this more than any other. A lot of teams that are deserving get left out. I think the principals need to get together and vote on this before the playoffs start!

Is there anyway Region D could go to a 6 team playoff system like region 3 and 4.....It would be more money and more teams would get in. I know a lot of it is about money anyway. I think it is a win win situation for everyone. Let 1 and 2 seed have a bye first round. Region D is the region that needs this more than any other. A lot of teams that are deserving get left out. I think the principals need to get together and vote on this before the playoffs start!

Not possible thanks to Thomas Walker and Lee having a game scheduled for the week the 6-team playoffs are supposed to start (11/13)...

But i still have a problem with everyone calling these teams "deserving". If you are 5-5 or 6-4 why would you be "deserving" of a playoff spot? Let's take a look at the way the VH$l does this now. District champs get an automatic playoff berth then power points decide the seeding. A lot of folks get hung up on the automatic berths calling out the BDD and the Cumberland. Honaker is down this year, but they have been the top 1 or 2 teams in Region D several times in the past.

Folks on various boards keep saying if they win this week they knock out a "deserving" team. They may knock out a better team this year who is 5-5 or 6-4, but i don't like the term deserving.

Here's a couple of opinions (if you will) from the Legend. (Region D) In Div.2 JJKelly needs to beat JIB or they are on the outside looking in most likely. Play someone besides the 3 best teams in the LPD and you would have a better power point resume. (the shelby's and east and wests aren't getting it done!) Do i think you are one of the best 4 teams in the region? probably!

P.V. played that really good schedule, yet didn't get it done. Good win over JIB, bad loss to Clintwood. Outmanned against GC and HC. Probably still gets in with a win over the Dawgs.

VaHigh needs to look solely at the Chilhowie game, good for power points, pretty much a must win. They didn't get it done. TNHigh they had no shot, GC they played well but no cigar, Lebanon destroyed them. Nothing wrong with those 3 losses and they would be a lock without the loss to the Warriors.

Lebanon played that tough schedule and it looks like they got enough done to still pull down the 2 or 3 seed. At 6-4 they make me scratch my head sometimes, should be an 8-2 team at least.

In Div.1 Clintwood had the great schedule also and did what they had to do for the most part. Same with JIB, the PV loss was an abberation. The Clintwood win...WOW! I certainly didn't expect that margin. Okay gotta figure they are both in with flying colors. JIB possibly automatic bid/and points and CW with power points. Thomas Walker most likely the auto bid from the CD (well deserved i might add) which leaves us with that BDD matchup that has everyone fretting, will Haysi snag the other automatic bid? When has one game between two single A teams affected so many? Why, every year, of course! It always comes down to this game in the BDD. We thought we had another contender to the title this year (and in all actuality we did) but alas no cigar! This one is for all the marbles for both teams really. Hurley or Appy could actually outpoint Haysi if they lose, and Honaker has no shot without the victory.

totally agree. It is really annoying that every year some fans cry and scream because their team is deserving and they didnt get in. Haysi missed the playoffs one year with a 9-1 record, as did honaker. Clintwood missed a few years back and they were 8-2, thats the breaks. if it is such a big deal with the weaker districts, well then lets redistrict. But no, nobody wants that. It really comes down to this; each team has its schedule laid out before it all they have to do is win.

But i still have a problem with everyone calling these teams "deserving". If you are 5-5 or 6-4 why would you be "deserving" of a playoff spot? Let's take a look at the way the VH$l does this now. District champs get an automatic playoff berth then power points decide the seeding. A lot of folks get hung up on the automatic berths calling out the BDD and the Cumberland. Honaker is down this year, but they have been the top 1 or 2 teams in Region D several times in the past.

Folks on various boards keep saying if they win this week they knock out a "deserving" team. They may knock out a better team this year who is 5-5 or 6-4, but i don't like the term deserving.

Here's a couple of opinions (if you will) from the Legend. (Region D) In Div.2 JJKelly needs to beat JIB or they are on the outside looking in most likely. Play someone besides the 3 best teams in the LPD and you would have a better power point resume. (the shelby's and east and wests aren't getting it done!) Do i think you are one of the best 4 teams in the region? probably!

P.V. played that really good schedule, yet didn't get it done. Good win over JIB, bad loss to Clintwood. Outmanned against GC and HC. Probably still gets in with a win over the Dawgs.

VaHigh needs to look solely at the Chilhowie game, good for power points, pretty much a must win. They didn't get it done. TNHigh they had no shot, GC they played well but no cigar, Lebanon destroyed them. Nothing wrong with those 3 losses and they would be a lock without the loss to the Warriors.

Lebanon played that tough schedule and it looks like they got enough done to still pull down the 2 or 3 seed. At 6-4 they make me scratch my head sometimes, should be an 8-2 team at least.

In Div.1 Clintwood had the great schedule also and did what they had to do for the most part. Same with JIB, the PV loss was an abberation. The Clintwood win...WOW! I certainly didn't expect that margin. Okay gotta figure they are both in with flying colors. JIB possibly automatic bid/and points and CW with power points. Thomas Walker most likely the auto bid from the CD (well deserved i might add) which leaves us with that BDD matchup that has everyone fretting, will Haysi snag the other automatic bid? When has one game between two single A teams affected so many? Why, every year, of course! It always comes down to this game in the BDD. We thought we had another contender to the title this year (and in all actuality we did) but alas no cigar! This one is for all the marbles for both teams really. Hurley or Appy could actually outpoint Haysi if they lose, and Honaker has no shot without the victory.

Really, the only teams DESERVING are district champions...everyone else gets in at the mercy of the power points. I mean really, if you can't win your own district, why should a team whine over not getting in the playoffs. IMO They should take no more than the top team in each division from each district and that's it. If that leaves a bracket with only 3 teams, take the team from that division with the next highest power point total overall from that region and then forget it.

Really, the only teams DESERVING are district champions...everyone else gets in at the mercy of the power points. I mean really, if you can't win your own district, why should a team whine over not getting in the playoffs. IMO They should take no more than the top team in each division from each district and that's it. If that leaves a bracket with only 3 teams, take the team from that division with the next highest power point total overall from that region and then forget it.

well that's the thing. You have D1 and D2 schools in each District and the district winner could be a D1 School and that would screw the D2 school out of the playoffs. So that's why they do the power points. I think ever district should be ALL D1 and all D2 and that would eliminate this problem.

I don't think a completely fair system for VHSL football playoffs could ever be implemented because schools across the state play such a wide variety of schedules with such a large range of difficulty. Just plain luck is always going to be involved in each season's playoff line-up.

I do think there have been and will be teams left out of the playoffs that were more deserving than teams who make it into the post season. But that's part of the excitement. It's fun to ponder what ifs!

What if Powell Valley and Appalachia had been in Division 3 in 1997 or Gate City in Division 2? Gate City wouldn't have made it out of our region - but the Blue Devils were lucky that year.

looks to me me like region d division 2 is down all the way around ( according to the records)excluding gate city and kelly.im sure some down more than others .its definetley a bad feelin to have a good team and be forced to stay home during playoff time .honaker will remember that 9-1 deal but we are talkin of teams now 5-4 and 1 game left could possibly be 5-5 or 6-4.honaker still has to beat haysi.no win no playoffs .that will put someone else in for d2.im sure strength of schedlue also plays a lot in it also.honaker lost to leb,rich,va high,taz,and burton.

Edited by litltiger

well that's the thing. You have D1 and D2 schools in each District and the district winner could be a D1 School and that would screw the D2 school out of the playoffs. So that's why they do the power points. I think ever district should be ALL D1 and all D2 and that would eliminate this problem.

If you notice, I said take the top rated school from each division in each district. I don't think if you're not in that group that you deserve the playoffs at all. That eliminates teams padding their schedules to have high ratings. Win your district, or finish as the top rated team in you division in your district and you're in...all others go home. Fair enough.

Well that system would have made Div 2 Playoffs : GC, PV, Honaker and Coeburn (Not exactly the cream of the crop)

This is voted on during the summer before football starts therefore it cannot be changed for this year. However, I dont think it should be 6 teams. There are not 6 teams that deserve to be in the playoffs this year. There are barely 4.

Why is a team not deserving with a 6-4 or even a 5-5 record? In 94 Gate City lost in the State Title game by a score of 12 to 7 after going 6-4 in the regular season. In 88 Jonesville not only played for a State Title but won it after going 5-5 in the regular season. Appalachia also won a State Title after going 5-5 in the regular season. That is three teams I can think of right off that made the title game after going 6-4 or 5-5 and two of those teams brought home State Crowns. Where they not deserving to be in the playoffs? Would have been bad if Suprbeasts logic was in effect then.

Open the playoffs up to 6 teams. If they are not deserving teams then they will not last long. It will really make things more interesting. Right now all Honaker needs to do is win three games a year to make the playoffs and could make it in with a 3-7 record one of these years. It will not be a big deal to have a 6 team playoff. It is a win win situation.

Well that system would have made Div 2 Playoffs : GC, PV, Honaker and Coeburn (Not exactly the cream of the crop)

Coeburn and Honaker would be automatic bids every year being that they are the only D2 teams in their District. They could go 0-10 and still be in the playoffs. LOL!

Why is a team not deserving with a 6-4 or even a 5-5 record? In 94 Gate City lost in the State Title game by a score of 12 to 7 after going 6-4 in the regular season. In 88 Jonesville not only played for a State Title but won it after going 5-5 in the regular season. Appalachia also won a State Title after going 5-5 in the regular season. That is three teams I can think of right off that made the title game after going 6-4 or 5-5 and two of those teams brought home State Crowns. Where they not deserving to be in the playoffs? Would have been bad if Suprbeasts logic was in effect then.

Open the playoffs up to 6 teams. If they are not deserving teams then they will not last long. It will really make things more interesting. Right now all Honaker needs to do is win three games a year to make the playoffs and could make it in with a 3-7 record one of these years. It will not be a big deal to have a 6 team playoff. It is a win win situation.

I agree that they should probably expand it, I am just saying that it has already been decided on for this year. And this year there are NOT 6 deserving teams. Other years, however, there are many deserving teams just not this year.

I agree that they should probably expand it, I am just saying that it has already been decided on for this year. And this year there are NOT 6 deserving teams. Other years, however, there are many deserving teams just not this year.
Its not fair that every other Region in the state is taking 6 and 8 teams except Region D. In Region C you have two 3-7 teams in the Playoffs. I think that Appalachia and Hurley are more deserving than Thomas Walker. I know it is an automatic bid for the district champ but the cumberland is the weakest around and it always knocks a better team out. Appalachia and Hurley both would beat Thomas Walker. Its just not a fair system when 3-7 teams make it in and 6-4 and 7-3 teams are sitting at home. If Region D went to the expanded playoff system here is waht it would look like which I do not think is a bad idea:

1 Clintwood-

2 JI Burton-

3 Hurley

4 Haysi

5 Thomas Walker

6 Appalachia

Clintwood and JI Burton would have a bye first round

Hurley would host Appalachia

Haysi would host Thomas walker

Division 2 would be a different story becasue they are jsut 9 teams.....

You know you have a good point....I think Hurleyt is a deserving team this year, I think there should be some reconsideration before the playoffs. How hard is it to do this? Its not, its time and how fast you can do it...believe me if everyone else is a DESERVING TEAM and the cutoff is at six teams then why is it only four for Region D thats not right ...I think this needs to be brought to the right peoples attention. I'm sure putting Region D up to par with the rest shouldn't be such a big deal...what else can happen but maybe a loss or a upset anyway thats football, it would make it more interesting and more fans...I see nothing wrong with these teams being added...go for it don't give up now ....you have made it this far...you have every thing to look forward...this needs to be addressed to someone...good luck!

thats what i was thinking appy and hurley deserve to be there here is hurley 3rd in points 7-3 and cant get in that sucks they need to do something about that virginia high school L onley worry about them teams up there there needs a big change THEM REBS AND APPY NEEDS TO GET IN THIS COMEPLETELY SUCKS AND VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE SUCKS

Coeburn and Honaker would be automatic bids every year being that they are the only D2 teams in their District. They could go 0-10 and still be in the playoffs. LOL!

That's what Tenn. is doing now ..... a bunch of 3-7's got in, as did a 1-9.

Actually, only 7 of the 12 Regions have expanded. And the only one in Group A is Region C.

Well, helper is there anyway you can direct us to the right people to get this done since you are pretty familar with the way the system works...you know a lot of people....you know maybe help us get the ball rolling a little see what we can do....if you only seen these kids faces when we told them they didn't make it to the playoffs because of the format of teams thing they actually didn't want to turn their jerseys in they asked "isn't there something we can do, we don't want to give this up we have come to far to just quit now..."

how do you explain this to a small team that always has a hard time keeping a whole team healthy and ready to play and when they do stay healthy and on a winning role they are told "you didn't make it ...it really broke my heart...we need to change this some way ...somehow...I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal...I think they just want to be able to say hey we are going to the playoffs... with the rest of the big ones...hey we are small but dam we got heart to play...have you ever watched their games..they are exciting as hell....can there be a emergency called meeting to determine this or something anything to get them in...anyone out there know anything about this.......

Well, helper is there anyway you can direct us to the right people to get this done since you are pretty familar with the way the system works...

Ummm, that would be the school principals and/or ADs...they are the ones who comprise the Regional committees...

I like what a guy said on another board I read. Just do away with the 4 regions and go with 2. For instance in single a combine regions c and d and combine regions a and b. Let in either 8 or 12 teams and the playoffs would become very interesting! I would pay 10 bucks a game to see some of those matchups!

Just think of a first round matchup in the future of

Gate City vs. Giles

VA High vs. George Wythe

Powell Valley vs. Floyd

Kelly vs. Radford

Lebanon vs. Chilhowie