If some SWD teams were to drop to A

jlshelton

"They should completely separate the football districts from the other sports. "

Why? I always thought that was stupid. They had a system for football, another for wrestling, another for the other sports. Made NO sense.

"they adopted a system quite similar to Virginia's"

You obviously don't know either 1 or both systems then.

Va. uses set Regions for their districts, not "pods" that are based on who got in this year.

Va determines pairings ahead of time, based on ratings, not after the season ends and based on what other teams get in (in other words, a 1 doesn't play a 6 in the 1st round, and diistrict rematches are inevitable, esp. when 5 of the 6 qualifiers are from the same district).

Va. doesn't have a 2-hour radio show after an all-nighter at the state office which produces incorrect pairings. We have a system which even (a few) fans can figure out and the media have a fair chance of knowing the 1st round match-ups b4 the 11:00 news,.. on Friday.

And, as bad as some ppl. itch about the ratings, we don't let a 1-9 team in.

Edited by VHSLhelper

And, as bad as some ppl. itch about the ratings, we don't let a 1-9 team in.

I think Appy made it in at 2-8 one season (Late 90's I think) and beat a 10-0 RC in the 1st round pretty handely

Well if I'm correct helper, in TN A, AA, and AAA are split into two classes each for football, but the A, AA, and AAA districts are all the same, so yeah, its kind of similar to Virginia's. They are not the same, but similar in that regard, and thats where the problems come in VA's system IMO. Teams play for the same district title but they play for a different regional title come playoff time. I thought the old 5A system in TN was a pretty good one, except for too many teams made the playoffs so there were a lot of 2-8 and 3-7 teams and so forth that made the playoffs. And I agree that having different systems in wrestling, track, and so forth is kind of dumb. There have been motions made in the TSSAA in past to get A-AA split up in the "non-revenue" sports in the past, but that never happened. I just think having a seperate class system for football makes sense in high school sports because enrollment is such a big factor unlike in most other sports.

either. They used to be with the RR schools back in the 70's in the New River. Piedont might be closer/easier because of 58, but RR schools are more similar in enrollments.

If 4 or so SWD schools drop, I see them going to the LPD (since they'll be consolidating soon) or the CMD disbanding.

always heard the only reason Carroll isn't in the piedmont already is because of 58...because of the mountain and buses going down that mountain all the time I don't think would be a good thing. I think football wouldn't be a problem because they would only have to travel about 3-4 times, however you must realize in sports like volleyball,basketball,baseball where it would be a twice a week trip almost and it would not be a safe thing on a regular basis. Idk what the truth is to that but I what I do know is that Carroll would not want to be in the River Ridge for very obvious reasons..

they did it that way the first year, but since Region B's so lopsided, they only had 3 teams in Div. 1. George Mason was in no matter what, and they went 0-10, which caused quite a stir (and they ALMOST won their playoff game). Rules were changed the next year to divide at the Regional level

So let me get this straight, only 3 teams in their divison, so of those 10 games lost, 7 were a bigger divison to start with? Just can't get good logic out of this thing. So it's fairer to put these bigger teams in their divison?

Not picking at you just logic of the system.

don't know who they scheduled that year, but I'd guess they had at least 7 games against teams in a larger Div.

The whole idea of Divisions was to give the smaller schools a chance. If the VHSL had kept the split at the state level, we might have seen expanded play a lot sooner. Region B had, oh, let's say 20 Div. 2 schools, and only 4 got in. Wouldn't have been long before a 9-1 or 8-2 complained about being left out. We had something like 6 big and 16 small. The whole thing was flawed from the beginning and I don't see any way to make it "fair" to ALL the teams state-wide... unless we go to a TRUE 5 or 6 Group system.