Powell Valley vs. Gate City

MrSocko

I haven't seen anything out of PV in the last 3 weeks that indicate they could even give GC a game. Beating Appy 6-0 (yes i realize it's a rivalry game) and GC totally dominating them in a game that really was boring to watch. They did beat JJK and JIB, and had a decent schedule, so i don't think they will quit over at GC. As "they" say, stranger things have happened, but i just can't see them being in this one.

Gate City by 4-5 td's, more if they get a few turnovers from the Vikes!

I would love to see this being a good game, but I really can't see that happening.

Maybe almost getting beat by Appy will light a fire under the Vikings, but I still don't believe they'll be able to hang w/Gate City. Despite having made the playoffs this year, I'm pretty unimpressed with PV.

I'm guessing GC - 36 PV - 7

I'd love to see my high school beat Gate City but this is not going to happen at least this year. Gate City 42, PV 14.

Region Finals will come down to GC and Lebanon.

Gate City will make at least to game 13, probably even 14.

Although the 2009 Powell Valley Viking football team has had a difficult season, I think Viking fans should try to keep things in perspective - playoff bound for the 18th straight season and, @ 5-1, co-champions of the LPD. There are many teams who can not claim those type of accomplishments. In addition, this year's seniors made VHSL history as Phil Robbins exceeded 300 wins as a head coach and they also celebrated 50 years of Viking football with an exciting homecoming victory over J. I. Burton.

No matter the outcome of the contest with Gate City, the 2009 Vikings can hold their heads high. Although any reasonable fan should anticipate a Blue Devil victory in the rematch with PV, an upset win for the Vikes is possible. I'm going to predict GC 21 & PV 6. The Vikings underclassmen improved as the season progressed - with several key injuries and the loss of Pinkston, the young guys got more playing time than expected and were forced to play important roles.

I have a lot of respect for both programs ! They are both at or near the top every year. Great coaching and fan support ! But I think this year the best team is from GC and I think they will win 35 to 14.

Good luck to both teams and I hope that neither has any injuries !

Both Gate City and Powell Valley were involved in close/hard fought games with Richlands earlier this year. GC beat Richlands 10-7. PV lost to Richlands 19-14. (The Vikings nearly pulled an upset - had the ball down to the 3 yard line with seconds to go in the game but were stopped by a critical penalty.)

GC will be well prepared, the only factors I believe will be the rust factor, since GC hasn't played for almost a month and rumors that Robbin's will let Pinkston back on the team to try to make a difference. Also with Robbin's video comments after the last meeting, saying basically GC wasn't that good and the Vikings had an off night will definately be a factor. Look for GC to be chomping at the bit and coming away with the win.

GC will be well prepared, the only factors I believe will be the rust factor, since GC hasn't played for almost a month and rumors that Robbin's will let Pinkston back on the team to try to make a difference. Also with Robbin's video comments after the last meeting, saying basically GC wasn't that good and the Vikings had an off night will definately be a factor. Look for GC to be chomping at the bit and coming away with the win.

I'm sorry guys, but I have had some health issues lately with my heart and I haven't been able to sit here and go over all the threads like I use to. I missed something about Pinkston not being on the team. Could somebody please fill me in.

Thanks !

I'm sorry guys, but I have had some health issues lately with my heart and I haven't been able to sit here and go over all the threads like I use to. I missed something about Pinkston not being on the team. Could somebody please fill me in.

Thanks !

I think he was kicked off the team, not positive???? Hope everything is A ok health wise.

This is what I read about Pinkston on LPD forum. Several weeks ago, he got charged with a misdemeanor for throwing a missile at a moving vehicle which I believe was a water bottle. Phil then had no choice but to dismiss him from the team. I don't believe the vikings have played with him for the last 3 or 4 weeks. But it is rumored that Robbins might let him return for the playoffs. Hopefully this is just a rumor as that would be a suspicious move on Robbin's part.

I think he was kicked off the team, not positive???? Hope everything is A ok health wise.

Thanks Nado,

I appreciate that. They're doing test right now. I had a stress test yesterday and I have a echocardiogram on the 16th and I'll know more then.

I hate to hear that about Pinkston. He was/is a good football player and this has hurt his team and maybe his future as a college ball player. Maybe if this was a one time thing a college may still take a chance on him. Hate to see a kid possibly loose a good future. I hate to say anything else without knowing more about what happen. There's always 2 sides to every story, BUT, there is no excuse for throwing something at a car, if it happen.

I hope that's not true.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

This is what I read about Pinkston on LPD forum. Several weeks ago, he got charged with a misdemeanor for throwing a missile at a moving vehicle which I believe was a water bottle. Phil then had no choice but to dismiss him from the team. I don't believe the vikings have played with him for the last 3 or 4 weeks. But it is rumored that Robbins might let him return for the playoffs. Hopefully this is just a rumor as that would be a suspicious move on Robbin's part.

That was just a rumor from my understanding. He basically didn't come to practice at all during their bye week and was dismissed.

I think Coach Robbins highly regards Myron Pinkston and has always believed in his great potential. He's played regularly for the Vikes since his freshman season. I suspect Coach Robbins was dissappointed when Pinkston got into trouble and hopes that the young man successfully gets through his difficulties.

In addition, I think it is fair for Powell Valley fans to claim that the loss of such a quality athelete like Pinkston hurt the team's chances in several games this year and that with him they may have performed better against Gate City. Injuries and/or the loss of kids from the squad is part of every highschool football season. The Vikings have actually gone 3-2 without Pinkston - and his replacement at tailback, Davis, has played hard.

But Pinkston will be missed on Saturday at Legion Field.