Why not pay college recruits?

Falconman

Looking at the headlines and seeing Volunteer Players in the headlines for crimes involving money, I ask the question; "Why not put college recruits on a base salary?" These kids are getting an education I know but, that doesn't pay for basic stuff of campus life. Look at all the revenue these kids bring in for the school. It is enormous! The coaches are the ones who benefit the most, look at their salaries. I think you could put recruits on $2500 a month while they are on scholarship. Think of how you could police them, if they screw up they lose it.

Great, and while we're at it we can provide monthly paychecks to all the track and field, tennis, soccer (etc. etc.) players. Thats one reason you cant provide money to college athletes. Another would be that a good portion of scholarship students also struggle with personal finances during college years. Its to big of a worm can to open.

Looking at the headlines and seeing Volunteer Players in the headlines for crimes involving money, I ask the question; "Why not put college recruits on a base salary?" These kids are getting an education I know but, that doesn't pay for basic stuff of campus life. Look at all the revenue these kids bring in for the school. It is enormous! The coaches are the ones who benefit the most, look at their salaries. I think you could put recruits on $2500 a month while they are on scholarship. Think of how you could police them, if they screw up they lose it.

$2500/month!?! When they already have all their living expenses covered!?!? What is a college athlete going to do with that kind of money every month? I know exactly what they would do...get into more trouble with it.

I agree that how are you going to pay one group and not all student athletes?? You think student athletes on the field hockey team deserve $2,500 a month? You think that female student athletes are going to raise hell about it if the women on the field hockey team aren't make at much as the men on the baseball team?? Do you really think the NCAA is going to give up that kind of money to the athletes? The NCAA won't give up the BCS money for the sake of a playoff system and they won't take money out of their pocket for this.

College is a place meant for learning and personal finance is part of that learning. Staying out of jail is another part of that learning!! I know and have gone to school with a hell of a lot of people who didn't have jack squat to their name coming out of high school and working their way through college. All they did was bust their butts and not one of them ended up in jail for shoplifting, armed robbery, and anything for that matter. Some of them played tennis, basketball, softball, and baseball in college.

Colleges are learning institutions, not employers. You know I've thought alot about what has went on the last two weeks in Knoxville. I know we rib each other on here thats what makes message boards entertaining and informative and all that. But, I have been to well over 100 Tenn games, probably more like 150 over the course of my life. I dont know of once that I've sat in the stands that I didnt think of how awesome it would be to play at Neyland in fromt of the crowd and such. It makes no sense as to why these players cant keep out of trouble. They've got it made. Especially the stars, they get a free education, chance of a lifetime to play NCAA football, and are destined to be millionaires. WHY cant they realize this? Also, stop blaming coaches for players wrong doings. They are paid millions of dollars to coach and win football games, NOT babysit. Say its Kiffins fault for recruiting these guys if you want, but the GREAT URBAN MEYER had Richardson going to Florida, and Miles had Jackson going to LSU. They were probably heavily recruited by many other schools. (except Notre Dame, they only sign Rhodes Scholars)

Most D1 schools are in the red with their budgets as is. Student Athletes on scholarship get gear upon gear, free housing, free meal plans, and free education. What more do you want? How would smaller colleges manage to pay this amount? Where would the money come from to pay the athletes who participate in the "non-profit" sports that are listed above?

i thought that some kids on scholarship get spending money from the school...is that not right?

Most university athletes do indeed get monthly checks from the school, but they are intended for living expenses (i.e. rent, food, etc). Although, it's not uncommon to see many of the athletes buying 10 different DVDs and/or X-Box games when they receive their monthly "stipend."

Well I think that it would be a huge mistake to pay college athletes. College is for learning and working hard to get to the next lever, not to get as much money as possible to do stupid stuff with.

And, a lot of times in the Pros, the athletes play with no heart and only play to get the money. Why take away that competitivness and the heart in college??

$2500/month!?! When they already have all their living expenses covered!?!? What is a college athlete going to do with that kind of money every month? I know exactly what they would do...get into more trouble with it.

I said $2500 because that would be a good base salary for big schools like usc, miami, etc . . . because of the standard of living in those areas. My parents give me $250.00 a week and my expenses are paid; heck, I barely make it. That has to cover my gas, eats, and admission fees to ball games. I'm asking for an advancement today, f(or tomorrows allowance) so I can go watch New Moon movie tonight with my friends at midnight. I have $10.00 bucks left from last friday's allowance, lol. I think $2500 is good for a college kid because I struggle on $1,000 a month and I'm a lonely high school kid. Where would you get the $2500.00, take it off some of the coaches salaries.

I said $2500 because that would be a good base salary for big schools like usc, miami, etc . . . because of the standard of living in those areas. My parents give me $250.00 a week and my expenses are paid; heck, I barely make it. That has to cover my gas, eats, and admission fees to ball games. I'm asking for an advancement today, f(or tomorrows allowance) so I can go watch New Moon movie tonight with my friends at midnight. I have $10.00 bucks left from last friday's allowance, lol. I think $2500 is good for a college kid because I struggle on $1,000 a month and I'm a lonely high school kid. Where would you get the $2500.00, take it off some of the coaches salaries.

Wow, this is most ridiculous post I've honestly ever read on this board (and that says A LOT).

I know kids who don't have a $2500 "allowance" a semester, much less a week. I also know kids that take a full semester's load of coursework (15-18 hrs), hold a job, and still don't sniff $2500 in a semester. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're young and you've definitely got a lot to learn before college.

Oh, and New Moon tonight???? I wouldn't tell anyone!

Edited by hokie07

. I'm asking for an advancement today, f(or tomorrows allowance) so I can go watch New Moon movie tonight with my friends at midnight. I have $10.00 bucks left from last friday's allowance, lol.

I do not read threads like this most of the time but something told me to read this one glad i did the comments above make your other post clear to me now you are a kid so you see the game through kid eyes haha.

Wow, this is most ridiculous post I've honestly ever read on this board (and that says A LOT).

I know kids who don't have a $2500 "allowance" a semester, much less a week. I also know kids that take a full semester's load of coursework (15-18 hrs), hold a job, and still don't sniff $2500 in a semester. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're young and you've definitely got a lot to learn before college.

Oh, and New Moon tonight???? I wouldn't tell anyone!

I don't get $2500.00! I get $250.00 a week, (get it right!). I have to use that for my lunches too and usually double up on my lunches which is about $4.00 a day! Not to mention breakfast and supper (I eat out alot). Yes, i've read the books also and believe it or not a lot of abingdon guys are going tonight also. We are not close minded, but are secure with ourselves. Yes, my girl is hot and will be with me tonight!

I can't believe what I just read.......

Sounds like you really need to mange your money better!!! I'd never thought I hear about a kid in this area crying how they have no money after a $250 a week allowance from mommy and daddy. I made about $300 a week at my job while I was in college taking 15 credit hours. That was only about 11 years ago too!!

When I was 16, I got an allowance of $20 a week and that was after I did homework, mowed the lawn, swept the driveway, cleaned up my room, etc......

Time for you to grow up and join the real world!!!!

I don't get $2500.00! I get $250.00 a week, (get it right!). I have to use that for my lunches too and usually double up on my lunches which is about $4.00 a day! Not to mention breakfast and supper (I eat out alot). Yes, i've read the books also and believe it or not a lot of abingdon guys are going tonight also. We are not close minded, but are secure with ourselves. Yes, my girl is hot and will be with me tonight!

hahahahahaha kid you know that the problem is you are spoiled you need to grow up when my parents used to give me money it was only about 10-20 dollars a week I had to do homework and take care of my share of the house hold work if i did not do that then i got nothing GROW UP kid. It is times like this i am glad my parents raised me like they did I can not imagine the shock you are going to be in when they are no longer there to support you.

Edited by Rhschamps04

LOLZ.

I'm not getting started with you.

I hope your parents grant your proposal for a new raise, and you can see the movie tonight.

If you don't mind, keep an eye for my girlfriend and my sister tonight, would you? I don't want them to get attacked by a vampire! ;)

HAHAHA!!

My wife asked me to go with her to see this movie tonight. I told her I would, as long as she let me wear a werewolf costume. That way I would embarrass her, and no one would actually know who I was. Needless to say, I am not going.

In high school I got $20 a week for lunch and for allowance. And I still managed to save up some cash for big purchases by packing a lunch, or eating lightly at school. In college I worked and made about $200-300 a week, and I always had plenty of money to do what I wanted, and plus I built up a nice savings account in the process. Please tell me you are at least paying your car insurance or cellphone bill. If you can't make it on $250 a week in high school then you are in for a rude awakening...Wait...never mind, your Mommy and Daddy will always be there to take care of you.

In all seriousness, you need to look at your spending habits, because money isn't always going to come that easy.

Guys,

In all due respect, 20.00 bucks wouldn't put a dent in gas these days. My SUV drinks gas and thats puts a strain on my budget. I try to workout at the gym (have to pay for membership) and eat good. I don't eat fast food, usually go to exit 7, golden coral - thats $12-15 a day there. My father, lost it when I needed a raise, he said "What do you think I am a Bank?" I said no, your my dad, and thats what dad's do. Needless to say, he didn't give a raise. I am fortunate, but if you can get more, get more! I sent him a text this a.m. for the advancement, haven't heard anything yet. By the way, I'm a gentleman, a class act (despite what you think), I won't let my baby girl pay for anything. She likes to tan and look good, so I share some money with her. Its tough on me because she likes the bling. Like I said, I'm a basic high school student, I can only imagine how hard it is for a college athlete who is trying to get a--!

Guys,

In all due respect, 20.00 bucks wouldn't put a dent in gas these days. My SUV drinks gas and thats puts a strain on my budget. I try to workout at the gym (have to pay for membership) and eat good. I don't eat fast food, usually go to exit 7, golden coral - thats $12-15 a day there. My father, lost it when I needed a raise, he said "What do you think I am a Bank?" I said no, your my dad, and thats what dad's do. Needless to say, he didn't give a raise. I am fortunate, but if you can get more, get more! I sent him a text this a.m. for the advancement, haven't heard anything yet. By the way, I'm a gentleman, a class act (despite what you think), I won't let my baby girl pay for anything. She likes to tan and look good, so I share some money with her. Its tough on me because she likes the bling. Like I said, I'm a basic high school student, I can only imagine how hard it is for a college athlete who is trying to get a--!

Ok i think i can help ya now that i see whats going on 1. get a smaller car geo metro will suit just fine haha. 2. Why not eat at home no reason not to eat at home. 3. Gym Membership hmmmmmmmmm that to me does not appear to be a need could probably cut that out and just do it the old fashion way.4 I have no problem with you spending your money on your girl as you will find out you will always spend all your money on women that is what they are there for haha.

Guys,

Well, in that case...get a JOB!!!

Guys,

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend and you need to trade that SUV. I drove an '87 Grand Am 5-speed with 130K miles and got a-- in that thing! And that was in 1999!!

Some things that are important to you now will not be important to you in five or ten years. Look closely at the choices you make in life.