Shocking news from Abingdon

southbound

I've kept my nose out of the Abingdon Bashing...but SWD, im joining you starting right now.

It did you all so much good. You have a team dominated by seniors, defeated our team which was starting 8 freshman....and ended up with same record as us...3-7.... and once again watching the playoffs from home.

Im not sure you understand this, but the tide is turning. Within the next 2 seasons Battle will end that winning streak that abindon has going and start one of their own.

Im the first to admit the battle program hasnt been very good, but while we're coming up and have alot of young talent in grades 7-10..... your program has been sinking fast. Do you see me on here predicting district championships, and running my mouth about how good my 3-7 football team is doing ALL the time??? no.....

If abingdons players put in as much time in off season program as their fans spend running their mouths, They would be raising state championship banners every year. Unfortunatly....this is not the case. Coaches leaving, Talent level is dropping, numbers are dropping, # of wins of dropping, BUT the # of trash talking fans keep rising.... Im not sure how that works... Does anyone else on this board understand how this could happen? *anyone outside of abingdon I mean*:confused:

How can you say all of this? If you have been to a Falcon/Trojan game in the last 10 years, you would understand that this rivalry is dead. Abingdon wins by 40 plus and calls the dogs off early every year. I am happy you guys finally won 3 games in a season but "come on man" if you really think Battle will beat us in the next 5 years. You can win all the 8th grade championships you want, that doesn't translate to Friday night wins. You guys can't even beat Holston, so that makes you #3 in Wash Co.

I've kept my nose out of the Abingdon Bashing...but SWD, im joining you starting right now.

It did you all so much good. You have a team dominated by seniors, defeated our team which was starting 8 freshman....and ended up with same record as us...3-7.... and once again watching the playoffs from home.

Im not sure you understand this, but the tide is turning. Within the next 2 seasons Battle will end that winning streak that abindon has going and start one of their own.

Im the first to admit the battle program hasnt been very good, but while we're coming up and have alot of young talent in grades 7-10..... your program has been sinking fast. Do you see me on here predicting district championships, and running my mouth about how good my 3-7 football team is doing ALL the time??? no.....

If abingdons players put in as much time in off season program as their fans spend running their mouths, They would be raising state championship banners every year. Unfortunatly....this is not the case. Coaches leaving, Talent level is dropping, numbers are dropping, # of wins of dropping, BUT the # of trash talking fans keep rising.... Im not sure how that works... Does anyone else on this board understand how this could happen? *anyone outside of abingdon I mean*:confused:

The Battle program is improving. I think everybody can see the progress being made. Abingdon is a mess however. Perhaps a coaching change may be just what the Dr ordered there. They certainly have the school sie to field the athletes to be winners.

Frito... cut the bald one a break.... they won 5 of their last 7. Good luck next year G-Men

They also finished with a 5-7 record, a losing record for the 3rd year in a row. That hasn't happened in 37 years. And he accomplished this great feat with several 3 year starters and plenty of expirenced players on his football team. And you are optimistic about next year? lol........

And people claim we always bring up next year, next year?? Heck, you've fallen in that category now? I guess after you guys play us again, you will say the same thing: Next year :p

Abingdon is not a good job now regardless of how much you love your school you must see this. Politics are running it and they hire the one who will ruffle the least feathers. I doubt Jamie Harlass would come back because he understands this and the fact that the football players are not dedicated to football year round. They play a lot of AAU basketball and baseball as well during the summer Contrary to what you may believe football games are won in December-July in the weight room with hard work and dedication. You can't lift only during the summer and expect to be competitive. When Abingdon gets more dedication from their kids and the parents stay out of the way, then and only then will they be competitive again.

And people claim we always bring up next year, next year?? Heck, you've fallen in that category now? I guess after you guys play us again, you will say the same thing: Next year :p

Im saying within the next 2 years the streak will end. Our programs are going in diffrent directions. The attitude has changed at Battle, now its just going to take another year or 2 in the weightroom. The new coaching staff has brought a winning attitude to the program and it has rubbed off on the kids and community. I mean look... Witten has been around a winning program in Elizabethon all of his life and as for assistant coaches , we have 1 that played under Ralph Cummings at Clintwood, 1 that played under Tom Turner at Appalachia, 1 that played under Dean Rhea at Rural Retreat during their playoff runs in the 90's, and 1 that played for some of John Battles best teams in the 1980's.

Its a staff that have always won that knows what it takes to win, and know how to do things the right way. The weight room that would sit empty 3 or 4 years ago every week from december to june will now have 60 or 70 kids working out every single day after thanksgiving break. All of those kids that used to play baseball only...now play football. Also, this is the first time that parents have really bought into the program and they're making a point to have their kids there every day.

So give us another year or 2 because we are very young.... It'll be the birds sitting there hoping that Witten calls the dogs off early.......I have a hard time believing that he'll do abingdon any favors however.

We can go on and on and on, but what good is it going to do. We both had bad seasons, and its time for the boys to hit the weightroom. My nephew plays for battle and I know that they're ready to get back to work. Like I said, The attitude and work ethic has changed.

They also finished with a 5-7 record, a losing record for the 3rd year in a row. That hasn't happened in 37 years. And he accomplished this great feat with several 3 year starters and plenty of expirenced players on his football team. And you are optimistic about next year? lol........

Exactly CPF....Graham won 5 of 7 despite the coaching.

Im saying within the next 2 years the streak will end. Our programs are going in diffrent directions. The attitude has changed at Battle, now its just going to take another year or 2 in the weightroom. The new coaching staff has brought a winning attitude to the program and it has rubbed off on the kids and community. I mean look... Witten has been around a winning program in Elizabethon all of his life and as for assistant coaches , we have 1 that played under Ralph Cummings at Clintwood, 1 that played under Tom Turner at Appalachia, 1 that played under Dean Rhea at Rural Retreat during their playoff runs in the 90's, and 1 that played for some of John Battles best teams in the 1980's.

Its a staff that have always won that knows what it takes to win, and know how to do things the right way. The weight room that would sit empty 3 or 4 years ago every week from december to june will now have 60 or 70 kids working out every single day after thanksgiving break. All of those kids that used to play baseball only...now play football. Also, this is the first time that parents have really bought into the program and they're making a point to have their kids there every day.

So give us another year or 2 because we are very young.... It'll be the birds sitting there hoping that Witten calls the dogs off early.......I have a hard time believing that he'll do abingdon any favors however.

We can go on and on and on, but what good is it going to do. We both had bad seasons, and its time for the boys to hit the weightroom. My nephew plays for battle and I know that they're ready to get back to work. Like I said, The attitude and work ethic has changed.

I'd wager that the Abingdon-Battle games are going to be considerably more interesting in the next few years.

the cat thats from clintwood never played for coach cummins.... the only thing he got from dickenson county is wearing a cowboy hat. he's tried to get the head job there for years and no one is fell for his lies yet. to say hes a great assistant coach is to say that being a band geek in high school makes you a quality coach. i wish battle the best but neal knows as much about football as a retard knows the SAT.

Abingdon is not a good job now regardless of how much you love your school you must see this. Politics are running it and they hire the one who will ruffle the least feathers. I doubt Jamie Harlass would come back because he understands this and the fact that the football players are not dedicated to football year round. They play a lot of AAU basketball and baseball as well during the summer Contrary to what you may believe football games are won in December-July in the weight room with hard work and dedication. You can't lift only during the summer and expect to be competitive. When Abingdon gets more dedication from their kids and the parents stay out of the way, then and only then will they be competitive again.

You just spoke the truth about football in SWD and at Abingdon. If you are not going to work at it year round then you dont need to show up on Friday nights and expect to win......