Bluefield v. Wayne -- State Championship

Bluefield_Rules

yep, but if you look back at the schedule that team had, they had one of the toughest schedules ever... seems like 8 or 9 of those teams went to the playoffs, and 2 or 3 won it all. I didn't make it to the Pulaski game that year, but I heard they were incredible (and nationally ranked). Bluefield also played number 1 and eventual state champ Barbousville, and would have beat them if not for a penalty that called back the winning TD.

granted - none of that shows up in stats now... all you see is 0-10

NOTE: Bluefield also went 1-9 in 1990, and 3-7 Freddy's 1st 2 years

Edited by total

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

Total,

Do you remember if there was a fight amongst players and/or coaches that was recorded by WVVA? I was young and can't really recall but for some reason I seem to remember seeing that. Maybe I am crazy.

what year? '93?

I was on the '90, '91, '92 team, so I knew them all pretty good... seems like there was some frustration, and a bunch quit before the end of the season. (this frustration also led to Milton Byers transferring to Graham) but I don't remember a fight on the sidelines. maybe something along the lines of a Terrell Owens blow up on the sidelines... but I couldn't imagine fists being thrown.

Guest JJBrickface
woo hoo - marcus patterson intercepts it and runs it back 98 yards!!!

big time!

Guest JJBrickface

Yes, it was 1993 and like I said I was 8 years old at the time, so its hard to tell what I saw. lol

what year? '93?

I was on the '90, '91, '92 team, so I knew them all pretty good... seems like there was some frustration, and a bunch quit before the end of the season. (this frustration also led to Milton Byers transferring to Graham) but I don't remember a fight on the sidelines. maybe something along the lines of a Terrell Owens blow up on the sidelines... but I couldn't imagine fists being thrown.

gotta say...the announcers are doing a pretty good job tonight.

The color man is Fred Persinger. Not sure who the play-by-play is. Fred has done the state championship games a long time, and also does the basketball games from Charleston. He even did a VT game on ESPN360 this year.

Guest JJBrickface
The color man is Fred Persinger. Not sure who the play-by-play is. Fred has done the state championship games a long time, and also does the basketball games from Charleston. He even did a VT game on ESPN360 this year.

Play by play is Travis Jones, he is pretty much the back up play by play guy for WVU sports. He does play by play for all womens basketball games and usually mens basketball if Tony Caridi is doing a football game the same day.

I'm enjoying listening to the game here...kinda rare...usually Lloyd is the only person I like to listen to call a game...lol...good quality audio as well...I'm impressed....sounds more like a college game.

Guest JJBrickface
I'm enjoying listening to the game here...kinda rare...usually Lloyd is the only person I like to listen to call a game...lol...good quality audio as well...I'm impressed....sounds more like a college game.

WVMetronews does a heck of a job on all of their broadcasts.

I'll say, WV Metro News Network does really well with these football and basketball games. Makes us realize how awful the sound quality is for the Bluefield games during the rest of the season. Sounds like they're doing it from a 5 year old cell phone.