Bluefield v. Wayne -- State Championship

Bluefield_Rules

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a game! My son and I didn't get back till 4:30 am this morning. Talk about being tired. I feel like I have a hangover! lol

Wayne was something else. However, Bluefield made it pretty easy for Wayne to shut down the Beavers IMO. After Beckett threw the INT, I don't think Bluefield tried another pass play the rest of the game. I could be wrong, but I can't remember another pass play.

The defense came up big time in the redzone to help seal the deal for Bluefield. I'm not sure where Wayne is located in WVa., but they had a pretty good turn out. Considering how far Bluefield fans had to drive, we had a very good turnout as well.

Sidenote: Magnolias head coach was sitting next us talking to another HC from somewhere, I think it may have benn West Virginia Techs coach. Anyways, when the WVT coach was leaving, he stated to Magnolias HC that Wayne was playing right into Bluefields hands by killing the clock in the 2nd half and not scoring. lol Couldn't have been more true.

Great game Bluefield! This team deserved it last night.

OMT, I loved the white on white look from Bluefield. Very sharp look uniforms.

It is a long trip, I actually enjoyed the fact that when the game was over I was in my kitchen. It's good yall enjoyed it to, I see your son went.

Bluefield's white on white uniforms are 1 of my favorites, they used to be the most common away uniform except in inclement weather, but 1st time they've worn those in a while that I can recall.

Listening to the radio, I couldn't tell what the factor was for wayne's success on the ground against bluefield, but knowing wayne, it was likely their misdirection and fakes, it's always been effective against bluefield's reacting d. It's 1 of the tougher types of o bluefield faces for them in my opinion. They execute exceptionally. Wayne county is located up on the ky border and is around 30 minutes south of huntington. They've always had enthusiastic fans, they're a quality program that is very consistent overall.

As for bluefield's o, that's been an up and down changing side of the ball all season because of adversity and factors really beyond their controll, with all due respect to them, I don't think they were ever as strong on o as they were in the 1st 3 games of the season with their qb at 100% with the wildcat o scheme.

Their o had 4 distinct phases that I saw, only my opinion, but there was the initial wildcat, the very 1 demensional style they used against ccds after the qb was injured, and against gate city. Then they had the phase were lilly was qb with a lot of changes in style and play with the sophomore rb put into the scheme, and then their qb returned as a starter the last regular season game and through the playoffs and that had a much different feel to it.

All in all, even though they had some high scoring games against some lesser opponents, I honestly don't think they ever really clicked on o with so much change after their qb was injured in game 4.. Early in the season it seemed their o matched their d is strength almost.

At the end of the season and through the playoffs, most contenders should be and most were on top of their game and playing like a well oiled machine, bluefield's o, while they did what they had to do, never matched the potential of their players overall, in my opinion. They simply had to much change throughout the season on o to be clicking the way other contenders were through the playoffs. If that makes any sense.

In this game it seemed they were more content to be less aggressive, relying on their d, and if I had to guess there must have been good reason that lilly hardly touched the ball in the 3rd or 4th.

But they wisely adapted overall and earned the title. Congrats to them again.

It is a long trip, I actually enjoyed the fact that when the game was over I was in my kitchen. It's good yall enjoyed it to, I see your son went.

Bluefield's white on white uniforms are 1 of my favorites, they used to be the most common away uniform except in inclement weather, but 1st time they've worn those in a while that I can recall.

Listening to the radio, I couldn't tell what the factor was for wayne's success on the ground against bluefield, but knowing wayne, it was likely their misdirection and fakes, it's always been effective against bluefield's reacting d. It's 1 of the tougher types of o bluefield faces for them in my opinion. They execute exceptionally. Wayne county is located up on the ky border and is around 30 minutes south of huntington. They've always had enthusiastic fans, they're a quality program that is very consistent overall.

As for bluefield's o, that's been an up and down changing side of the ball all season because of adversity and factors really beyond their controll, with all due respect to them, I don't think they were ever as strong on o as they were in the 1st 3 games of the season with their qb at 100% with the wildcat o scheme.

Their o had 4 distinct phases that I saw, only my opinion, but there was the initial wildcat, the very 1 demensional style they used against ccds after the qb was injured, and against gate city. Then they had the phase were lilly was qb with a lot of changes in style and play with the sophomore rb put into the scheme, and then their qb returned as a starter the last regular season game and through the playoffs and that had a much different feel to it.

All in all, even though they had some high scoring games against some lesser opponents, I honestly don't think they ever really clicked on o with so much change after their qb was injured in game 4.. Early in the season it seemed their o matched their d is strength almost.

At the end of the season and through the playoffs, most contenders should be and most were on top of their game and playing like a well oiled machine, bluefield's o, while they did what they had to do, never matched the potential of their players overall, in my opinion. They simply had to much change throughout the season on o to be clicking the way other contenders were through the playoffs. If that makes any sense.

In this game it seemed they were more content to be less aggressive, relying on their d, and if I had to guess there must have been good reason that lilly hardly touched the ball in the 3rd or 4th.

But they wisely adapted overall and earned the title. Congrats to them again.

I wish we would have driven home last night!!! Good grief we passed at least 8 accidents, most of them serious on the way home today. We traveled 20 miles in an hour and a half leaving St. Clairsville, OH. What a game by the Beavers. Not flashy but they got the job done. Congratulations to all the players and student body.

Congratulations Beavers on a 10th state championship! You guys showed who #1 really is in AA this year. Great defenses always win championships and the '09 version of Beaver football really proves that. Congratulations Wayne on a great season!

GO BEAVERS!! 2009 WV AA FOOTBALL STATE CHAMPIONS!!

I remember going to Wheeling, guess it was 1997, and the weather was AWFUL. We went up I-77 to I-70, and going across Ohio on I-70, there were a lot of accidents happening right in front of us.

For curiosity, I had mapped the route to get there the other day, and it recommended going up the Ohio River on the Ohio side, think that is Ohio Route 7 (??). I've been up WV Route 2 between Parkersburg and Wheeling a few times (used to have to go to Wheeling for work a few times), and that is a pleasant, SLOW drive, but I was making it in warmer weather.

I'd complain about the championships being in Wheeling, but we've all already covered it, and I think it's in the bag to stay there a long time, as long as the current WVSSAC can be bought off like they are. I just really think Charleston is the right place for it, it's the nicest stadium closest to the geographic center of the state (which is Flatwoods, but Laidley...err...whatever they call it now, is nice).

If you ever do the river route up there, I would recommend hitting Rt. 2 from Parkersburg to St. Marys, crossing the river there, and taking Ohio 7 the rest of the way. I believe that's probably the quickest way to navigate that area.

BuzzsawBeaver, I think the biggest factor last night was Bluefield was trying to strip the ball instead of tackling the RB. That was until it seemed they got into the redzone. They forced two fumbles in the redzone. One was on a good hit, and the last one was a strip that went 95 yards for a TD. lol

Wayne also had good success running sweeps. But they kept going to that play too many times.

Wow what a game but i dont think this will be the last time this group of kids will be in wheeling next year althought they lose marcus jake matt riggs john gibson and other impact seniors i dont think the beavers are hit in the mouth to bad i mean the whole offensive line is returning as 3 year starting seniors besides gibson and brad fox will still be on top of his game and levi beckett will come through god willing that he will have no more injuries and other sophmores will step up like drew simon who started at line backer this year up untill the playoffs who will fill in at tackle for gibson next year and make defensive contributions and ryan shorter who has alternated in at tightend all season will step up keith ferguson the starting guard and nose guard for the beavers is nothing short of spectacular these boys will in my mind make another run in the playoffs in 2010

Wow what a game but i dont think this will be the last time this group of kids will be in wheeling next year althought they lose marcus jake matt riggs john gibson and other impact seniors i dont think the beavers are hit in the mouth to bad i mean the whole offensive line is returning as 3 year starting seniors besides gibson and brad fox will still be on top of his game and levi beckett will come through god willing that he will have no more injuries and other sophmores will step up like drew simon who started at line backer this year up untill the playoffs who will fill in at tackle for gibson next year and make defensive contributions and ryan shorter who has alternated in at tightend all season will step up keith ferguson the starting guard and nose guard for the beavers is nothing short of spectacular these boys will in my mind make another run in the playoffs in 2010

Take a breath, big guy

Not one single peroid. Very well played sir.