Lilly and Patterson (Blfd) sign with Concord

tbgfan

Div 1a is full of players throughout the years who excel but weren't recruited because they didn't fit the excepted mold, particularly size it seems. Enough of those stories in the nfl even.

Most of the times these players worked even harder and stepped up and proved themselves.

It's not really a fair mold but it's the system.

Lilly in my opinion lacked the size for the typical mold most div 1 schools look for. In my opinion he could benefit from starting at a smaller school and then play div1. Personally in my opinion he could really excel at a strong div2 school, such as appalachian state. That would be a really good fit for him. Their program is obviously top notch at that and not so far from here.

But congrats to each of them! They each have lots of potential.

The problem with both players is size in comparison to other aspects. Both individuals are incredibly hard workers and very talented. However, when you look at college football players at the highest level (I believe it's refered to as FBS now) they are even bigger and faster than both Lilly and Patterson. For example: you have guys who are playing Lilly's position who are 40 pounds heavier and running 4.5 forty times (which, the last I knew, is faster than Lilly's fastest recorded time).

In the three years I shared at Bluefield with Marcus and Jake, I loved every minute of watching them play ball. I believe they both will fit in very well and have extremely successful careers at Concord (if all goes to plan with injuries, player development, etc.). I've watched enough football and know plenty of players/teams from other areas of the country to know for a fact these two could have fit in with a bigger program. I believe there are a lot of bigger programs out there who may have missed out on not giving these two kids an opportunity.

Appy State, Richmond...JMU...I was thinking along those lines as well...kinda thought Duke or UNC or maybe even Wake F. might offer up something.

Thinking the same here.....but hey, he'll get an education, can't beat that.

• 2 weeks later...