Marion Coach and AD Should Resign

abad4nr

The coach (and that is not what he is) knows nothing about basketball. He came from Northwood - who was 8-16 last year and currently I think is 9-11, with 1 win against Marion. Marion went to state last year and ended the season with a 20-13 record. With 2 starters graduating form last year's class, now they are 9-12. Bailey should RESIGN.

But even more so, the athletic director Haga who hired Bailey should take even more blame and RESIGN. Several dozen qualified coaches from all over the state inquired about the Marion coaching job at the end of last season, and none were even interviewed. It was Marion's chance to finally get a decent coach after many years of mediocrity, and what did Haga do? Hire the coach from Northwood. How pathetic.

They both should resign if they had any sense of self-respect. But they don't, and they won't. That's Marion athletics for you.

Yes Technically the AD does not do the hiring. But in reality it is his recommendation that seals the deal.

And that coach from last year? He is the AD. I think the credit for Marion winning last year was the leadership of the 2 starting seniors, not Haga - Dotson did not allow the kids who are now the seniors to play selfishly, as they tended to do this year. A good coach would have done that job this year, among other things.

It does matter weather the AD hired him or not. They should still have hired the most qualifed person for the job. Futhermore, the principal should have checked to see the record of the person being hired. There were more qualifed people with winning records who were interviewed and didnt get the job.

The coach (and that is not what he is) knows nothing about basketball. He came from Northwood - who was 8-16 last year and currently I think is 9-11, with 1 win against Marion. Marion went to state last year and ended the season with a 20-13 record. With 2 starters graduating form last year's class, now they are 9-12. Bailey should RESIGN.

But even more so, the athletic director Haga who hired Bailey should take even more blame and RESIGN. Several dozen qualified coaches from all over the state inquired about the Marion coaching job at the end of last season, and none were even interviewed. It was Marion's chance to finally get a decent coach after many years of mediocrity, and what did Haga do? Hire the coach from Northwood. How pathetic.

They both should resign if they had any sense of self-respect. But they don't, and they won't. That's Marion athletics for you.

There is a freeze on hiring in most County's...including Smyth...there is a budget Crisis in the state.....the coach was hired from within the county and filled a vacant history position when another teacher retired..(he taught history at Northwood)...I'm sure nobody was hired to fill the vacant history spot at Northwood...it simply was done away with...Smyth County has had to do that with a number of positions this past year...

That's why nobody from the outside was brought in...

As people retire....the positions are being done away with...and nobody new is being rehired into the system...The entire state is in an education Crisis...the new governor wants to cut an additional 1.5 billion from the state's budget...in addition to the 2.5 billion in cuts already proposed...Smyth County stands to lose over 5 million in state funding...

You want to do something about it...urge your congressmen not to cut education so drastically or tell them that you're willing to pay an extra penny on your sausage mcmuffin each morning....

Where did Marions coach from last year go?

They sure are missing him this year!

He's the new athletic director (Haga...the one the guy's complaining about in original post.)...and also assistant principal...he's a busy man...and one great individual.

maybe, just maybe they didn't have the right teaching endorsement areas. coaches are teachers first, they rarely hire people only for coaching.

See the post above....there is a freeze on hiring in most county's....as people retire....the positions are simply not being filled...and soon all of your classrooms will have 35 kids in them...all across the state...Bailey transferred over from Northwood to coach and teach history...his history position at Northwood was probably done away with....

He's a good guy, give him a chance.

Edited by futbolking

Marion is not going to get coaches like they had in the past like Lawson and Sayers thats just the way it is. I have said this all season Marion does not play defense and does not have a true point guard that is why they have struggled all season.

Marion is not going to get coaches like they had in the past like Lawson and Sayers thats just the way it is. I have said this all season Marion does not play defense and does not have a true point guard that is why they have struggled all season.[/QUO

They need to be more agressive, in my opinion.

There is a freeze on hiring in most County's...including Smyth...there is a budget Crisis in the state.....the coach was hired from within the county and filled a vacant history position when another teacher retired..(he taught history at Northwood)...I'm sure nobody was hired to fill the vacant history spot at Northwood...it simply was done away with...Smyth County has had to do that with a number of positions this past year...

That's why nobody from the outside was brought in...

As people retire....the positions are being done away with...and nobody new is being rehired into the system...The entire state is in an education Crisis...the new governor wants to cut an additional 1.5 billion from the state's budget...in addition to the 2.5 billion in cuts already proposed...Smyth County stands to lose over 5 million in state funding...

You want to do something about it...urge your congressmen not to cut education so drastically or tell them that you're willing to pay an extra penny on your sausage mcmuffin each morning....

It is sad that Coaches are hired from within merely to keep from filling another position! It is a good thing the system doesn't hire teachers based on that criteria......oh wait....I think they do! Whether it is academics or athletics, EVERYONE who applies should be given consideration and the BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB should be hired, it shouldn't matter if it creates another position. Here in Virginia, High School athletics are becoming more & more insignificant to the school systems, at the expense of many good athletes who have gone through years of AAU and dedication to their sport, only to get to high school and be coached by someone who has no knowledge of the game nor ability to communicate and teach high school athletes. Look around you at the largest percentage of the crowds at game night........very few people are there.....mostly the parents, family and a few die hard fans. The students are no longer excited about sports and the athletes are seldom given recognition for the hours of extra work they put in to represent their schools. Virginia (especially SW Virginia) needs to take more pride in their athletes and give them coaches with some ability to coach the game and with some personality to know how to handle these young people. Believe me....what works in the class room is entirely different than what works on the athletic field!!!! No wonder it is getting more and more difficult to field a good team in this area.....the kids are fed up with working hard and getting nothing out of it........not even a winning record!

Edited by loujustice

It is sad that Coaches are hired from within merely to keep from filling another position! It is a good thing the system doesn't hire teachers based on that criteria......oh wait....I think they do! Whether it is academics or athletics, EVERYONE who applies should be given consideration and the BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB should be hired, it shouldn't matter if it creates another position. Here in Virginia, High School athletics are becoming more & more insignificant to the school systems, at the expense of many good athletes who have gone through years of AAU and dedication to their sport, only to get to high school and be coached by someone who has no knowledge of the game nor ability to communicate and teach high school athletes. Look around you at the largest percentage of the crowds at game night........very few people are there.....mostly the parents, family and a few die hard fans. The students are no longer excited about sports and the athletes are seldom given recognition for the hours of extra work they put in to represent their schools. Virginia (especially SW Virginia) needs to take more pride in their athletes and give them coaches with some ability to coach the game and with some personality to know how to handle these young people. Believe me....what works in the class room is entirely different than what works on the athletic field!!!! No wonder it is getting more and more difficult to field a good team in this area.....the kids are fed up with working hard and getting nothing out of it........not even a winning record!

You speak a lot of truth, but........good luck in finding an administrator or school board that is willing to hire someone just to coach. The Commonwealth of Virginia is IN DIRE STRAIGHTS financially. It's not going to happen. Keep playing AAU, move out of state, or just make the best of the situation is all you can do.

I hate to break it to you...but many coaching positions will be done away with altogether this year...most likely...and some sports may have to be on the chopping block...along with many academic programs. Athletics is "extra-curricular"...you should be complaining to the Governor who just cut the funding to Smyth County by over $5 million....while Northern Virginia counties will actually see an increase in their funding....that's what you should be griping about.

I hate to break it to you...but many coaching positions will be done away with altogether this year...most likely...and some sports may have to be on the chopping block...along with many academic programs. Athletics is "extra-curricular"...you should be complaining to the Governor who just cut the funding to Smyth County by over $5 million....while Northern Virginia counties will actually see an increase in their funding....that's what you should be griping about.

Wow, do you have a link to a source for this? So I can point at it and get angry...

1258742_3851_sqr.jpg

I should say...Northern Virginia is going to get more than what Kaine had proposed they get...while SWVA schools get less.

Saw an article at http://www.swvatoday....roanoke.com....a couple of other places, do a search for McConnell's budget proposal for k-12 education. I'm sure you'll find it...anyway, he's cutting the heck out of education budget...much more than what Kaine had already proposed to cut before he left office...while giving a little bit back to the Northern VA Counties....

He did say that we "shoot our own food" down here in SWVA while campaigning, so why should we be concerned...

Gov. McDonnell's $700,000,000 (Yeah $700 million) in cuts to education includes cutting out all coaching supplements.

Here are the list of cuts he is proposing. http://www.governor.virginia.gov/docs/10-02-17_Gov_Recs.pdf

Most Counties in this region stand to lose $6 million or more in state funding next year. That will be a 15-20% cut. When your county gets 2/3 of it school funds from the state, that means programs that benefits all of the students are at risk.

I am a fiscal conservative, and don't believe in randomly raising taxes. That said, when the boat is sinking you just don't bail out the water, you find the money to patch the hole. In this case it is our children who will drown.

Edited by Hacker
typo

Although, the Governor is suggesting cutting coaching stipends, the amount a coach is paid is determined by the locality. If the money is available most coaches will keep their stipends, but there is a possibility that $$ could be saved by eliminating coaching stipends, which is very unlikely in most areas.

Interestingly enough, the measly sums that coaches receive would only attribute to a small deduction in cost, the cuts that could save the most money would be in making decisions to close certain schools or to eliminate entire salaries and positions.

Regardless of what happens, many school boards are already being forced to do the right thing, in many counties, schools that were long left open due to political issues are now being considered for closing or consolidation, which is what should have been done many years before.

Excessive spending has led to this problem and the only way to fix it is to make cuts, it isn't the popular thing to do, but it is the necessary thing to do. In addition to the cuts, many local school boards, have much more money than the average citizen realizes, money is often moved around and placed in different places, this is usually referred to locally as the "rainy day," fund.

It might be time to start dipping into this account.

Sadly, there isn't enough attention given to placing qualified coaches in their positions here in SWVA. Give me less equipment & smaller facilities, if you must, and teams can still win. Give them the most expensive gear and a huge forum to play in that offers all the bells & whistles and add a coach with insufficent knowledge, experience or qualifications and YOU STILL WON'T WIN CONSISTENTLY! Athletics are a VERY important part of schools, especially high schools! They offer one of the VERY few social events that kids today actually participate in LIVE & IN PERSON instead of chatting on a cell phone or computer! When you take athletics out of the schools, you lose more than you save. Just ask ETSU.....when they dropped their football program, their admission applications dropped as well!