A sign of things to come in 2013...

GMan

In the minutes from the R&R committee, "Steve Leaman moved, Steve Spangler seconded and the committee voted 10-2 (Barnett and Latham voting no) to recommend that if we continue to reclassify into three classes that in order to balance Group AA for the next cycle (2013-14 and 2014-15) that the Blue Ridge District move to Region IV and the Jefferson District move to Region III."

From this, I take it that the VHSL is expecting the SWD schools to be in Class A by 2013 (with the exception of Abingdon and Carroll Co.)...but most of us already expected that.

Looks like Abingdon may qualify for hardship if this happens and will also be dropped into Class A. Carroll Co., on the other hand, may be stuck in AA with either the Piedmont schools or the River Ridge schools.

Keeping the SWD intact is a bad idea. It's top-heavy in every sport except basketball and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. The "tradition" that we all know and love is from the days when the district was competitive from top to bottom. Those days are long gone.

All of you are much closer to the situation than I am, but wouldn't it make sense to keep the SW District intact using single A schools? It seems Richlands, Tazewell and possibly even Abingdon will drop to single A in the near future. Wouldn't that leave enough single A teams in the area to make a competitive SW District, or am I missing something here?

All of you are much closer to the situation than I am, but wouldn't it make sense to keep the SW District intact using single A schools? It seems Richlands, Tazewell and possibly even Abingdon will drop to single A in the near future. Wouldn't that leave enough single A teams in the area to make a competitive SW District, or am I missing something here?

All you would really be doing is salvaging the name. Richlands and Tazewell are going to be together no matter what district they end up in. Graham and Grundy are leaving and will do much better in their new districts. Those are the four schools that have been in the SWD since day one. Abingdon, Marion, and all the others that have come and gone over the years have, well, come and gone. Richlands and Tazewell IMO would be a perfect fit in the CMD. Which by the way is made up of former SWD schools.

All you would really be doing is salvaging the name. Richlands and Tazewell are going to be together no matter what district they end up in. Graham and Grundy are leaving and will do much better in their new districts. Those are the four schools that have been in the SWD since day one. Abingdon, Marion, and all the others that have come and gone over the years have, well, come and gone. Richlands and Tazewell IMO would be a perfect fit in the CMD. Which by the way is made up of former SWD schools.

Thanks Big D. I guess I'm just being nostalgic...and you're right, it would be in name only, but I hate to see the name SW District go away.

not true at all...if they are going to drop all of the swd teams down then they should just keep the swd and move it to A level....as for being more competetive, these schools could still schedule whoever they want at the current time...most of them are playing some A level schools anyway. If you look at things on a regional level instead of a district level, your program is what it is...if its not that good at AA it wont be that good at A....just because you are playing smaller #'d schools doesn't make you any better...it may better align your numbers with other schools with the same numbers...but it does not improve your program...and there are just as many top notch programs at a regional level in all sports in A and AA....so you might win a hollow district but you are not going to be any better off in the big picture...instead of going through Richlands, Grundy will have to go through Gate City...who usually beats Richlands....so...if any of you think this is going to be the golden ticket to success, you will soon find out how much all of this talk really means.

In the mean time, 80+ years of history will be down the drain and a new chapter will begin...the results will be the same though...you might see some more district titles...but thats about it...except for maybe in wrestling for Grundy...I'm not sure how strong the A level schools are from the other side of the state in wreslting...but other than that I don't see any great advantage in any other sport...yes it's more "fair" to play schools with like numbers as you have, but it's not going to make any of the programs any better within.

Richlands will start to go through what the other schools have suffered as enrollment drops...and I don't see that changing as there is really no reason for anyone to move in to Tazewell County other than to play football for Richlands...the County doesn't do anything to bring in new jobs that pay anything and all that goes to Russell County...so...Richlands will continue to shrink in numbers...I don't think they will have the same drop off that the others have suffered because they have a good program in place...I think they might not have 100% of the success they have had...but I think they can stay above 80% easy as long as the current level of support and organization stays in place...at some point though, if coaches take bigger jobs or support errodes and schools close and things change...it could drop off...but I don't think it drops off like some of the other schools have...just a better program in place hands down.

I'd rather see the SWD go away for a year or two then come back with the core members as an A level district than I would see it go on without any of the core group in there...either way it's sad to see it end.

not true at all...if they are going to drop all of the swd teams down then they should just keep the swd and move it to A level....as for being more competetive, these schools could still schedule whoever they want at the current time...most of them are playing some A level schools anyway. If you look at things on a regional level instead of a district level, your program is what it is...if its not that good at AA it wont be that good at A....just because you are playing smaller #'d schools doesn't make you any better...it may better align your numbers with other schools with the same numbers...but it does not improve your program...and there are just as many top notch programs at a regional level in all sports in A and AA....so you might win a hollow district but you are not going to be any better off in the big picture...instead of going through Richlands, Grundy will have to go through Gate City...who usually beats Richlands....so...if any of you think this is going to be the golden ticket to success, you will soon find out how much all of this talk really means.

In the mean time, 80+ years of history will be down the drain and a new chapter will begin...the results will be the same though...you might see some more district titles...but thats about it...except for maybe in wrestling for Grundy...I'm not sure how strong the A level schools are from the other side of the state in wreslting...but other than that I don't see any great advantage in any other sport...yes it's more "fair" to play schools with like numbers as you have, but it's not going to make any of the programs any better within.

Richlands will start to go through what the other schools have suffered as enrollment drops...and I don't see that changing as there is really no reason for anyone to move in to Tazewell County other than to play football for Richlands...the County doesn't do anything to bring in new jobs that pay anything and all that goes to Russell County...so...Richlands will continue to shrink in numbers...I don't think they will have the same drop off that the others have suffered because they have a good program in place...I think they might not have 100% of the success they have had...but I think they can stay above 80% easy as long as the current level of support and organization stays in place...at some point though, if coaches take bigger jobs or support errodes and schools close and things change...it could drop off...but I don't think it drops off like some of the other schools have...just a better program in place hands down.

I'd rather see the SWD go away for a year or two then come back with the core members as an A level district than I would see it go on without any of the core group in there...either way it's sad to see it end.

So if this scenario were to hold true, you would have:

Richlands

Tazewell

Graham

Grundy

Marion

Abingdon

Looks kind of familiar. :)

Edited by blueinbama

Guest JJBrickface

The Mayan Calendar says football will not exist in 2013.

Found this article last week in Carroll News and will post since it pertains to this thread.

http://www.thecarrollnews.com/view/f...es_left_column

“That’s the way it looks on paper right now,” Carroll County head football coach Tom Hale said of the SWD going back to five teams in 2011. “But there is a possibility that we would add Pulaski, Christiansburg, and Blacksburg to the Southwest District since Region IV would be losing two teams, and they want to try to keep it balanced. Of course, all of this is speculation".

Interesting speculation. Possibility?

“That’s the way it looks on paper right now,†Carroll County head football coach Tom Hale said of the SWD going back to five teams in 2011. “But there is a possibility that we would add Pulaski, Christiansburg, and Blacksburg to the Southwest District since Region IV would be losing two teams, and they want to try to keep it balanced. Of course, all of this is speculation".

If Carroll County does not won't to be in a 5 team distric why don't they just go ahead and ask to be moved into the River Ridge or Piedmont?

“That’s the way it looks on paper right now,†Carroll County head football coach Tom Hale said of the SWD going back to five teams in 2011. “But there is a possibility that we would add Pulaski, Christiansburg, and Blacksburg to the Southwest District since Region IV would be losing two teams, and they want to try to keep it balanced. Of course, all of this is speculation".

If Carroll County does not won't to be in a 5 team distric why don't they just go ahead and ask to be moved into the River Ridge or Piedmont?

Has there ever been talk of Powell Valley or Gate City entering the mix when everyone drops to single A?

I love Marion being in the Southwest District but if everyone eventually drops I believe Marion would go to the Hogo. Why not? With the economy the way it is it would be much cheaper transporting kids to Patrick Henry and George Wythe than it is to Grundy and Richlands.

Has there ever been talk of Powell Valley or Gate City entering the mix when everyone drops to single A?

I think both are happy where they are, GC in the CMD and PV in the LPD. I would expect Richlands and Tazewell to both join the CMD when they drop to Class A and then Lee will likely move to the LPD due to travel concerns in the CMD.

In the minutes from the R&R committee, "Steve Leaman moved, Steve Spangler seconded and the committee voted 10-2 (Barnett and Latham voting no) to recommend that if we continue to reclassify into three classes that in order to balance Group AA for the next cycle (2013-14 and 2014-15) that the Blue Ridge District move to Region IV and the Jefferson District move to Region III."

I was surprised someone didn't push this for 2011-12 (maybe they did and it didn't get anywhere). Even with the five-team SWD, Region IV has only 16 schools, while Region III has 20 and Region II 26.

Moving the Jefferson to III and BRD to IV would leave:

Region IV (22): River Ridge (6), Blue Ridge (6), Piedmont (5), SWD (5)

Region III (21): Jefferson (7), Seminole (7), Valley (7)

Region II (19): Dulles (9), Evergreen (5), Northwestern (5).

Region I (23): Battlefield (8), Bay Rivers (10), Southside (5).

If they are going to move the Bluer Ridge into region IV, why not move the Piedmont back to Region III and the Valley back to Region II?

The point of moving the Blue Ridge to IV is to balance the regions with a relatively equal # of teams.

I was surprised someone didn't push this for 2011-12 (maybe they did and it didn't get anywhere). Even with the five-team SWD, Region IV has only 16 schools, while Region III has 20 and Region II 26.

Moving the Jefferson to III and BRD to IV would leave:

Region IV (22): River Ridge (6), Blue Ridge (6), Piedmont (5), SWD (5)

Region III (21): Jefferson (7), Seminole (7), Valley (7)

Region II (19): Dulles (9), Evergreen (5), Northwestern (5).

Region I (23): Battlefield (8), Bay Rivers (10), Southside (5).

The SWD will not be in region 4 when the Blue Ridge is moved in. Only one team that is in the SWd will remain AA the rest will be single A when the Blue Ridge is moved into region 4. In a few years their will be no teams west of I-77 that play sports in AA they will all be single A.

the swd will not be in region 4 when the blue ridge is moved in. Only one team that is in the swd will remain aa the rest will be single a when the blue ridge is moved into region 4. In a few years their will be no teams west of i-77 that play sports in aa they will all be single a.

bingo!!!