How could Va Tech not make it?

the watcher

I know they had a weak non-conference schedule but they beat Clemson,Georgia Tech and Wake Forest and finished ahead of all three of them in the standings.The only team that did beat Tech in the non conference schedule was Temple,a five seed in the ncaa tournament.

Wake Forest finished 9-7 in the regular season,lost to Va Tech and lost in the opening round of acc tournament to Miami 83-62.They also lost to Miami earlier in the year.

Georgia Tech finished 7-9 in league play,did beat Duke earlier but lost to Va Tech.They also lost to Georgia,a team that Tech beat.They also lost to UVa.

Clemson lost to Va Tech by 11 ,also lost to NC state.

I am totally not getting this shun.

Wake Forest lost 6 of their last 7 games.These 3 teams made it.It seems to me that head to head would mean more than non-conference schedule.

It's simple...

One of the weakest OOCs of all the major conference teams plus the weakest in-conference schedule in the ACC. Toss in a quarterfinal loss to the #12 seed in the ACC...all that adds up to NIT.

Besides, you can't have the NIT without VirgiNIa Tech...

It's simple...

One of the weakest OOCs of all the major conference teams plus the weakest in-conference schedule in the ACC. Toss in a quarterfinal loss to the #12 seed in the ACC...all that adds up to NIT.

Certifiably insane!

Tech hurt themselves by the showing against Miami in the ACC Tourney. They looked terrible, no where near how they had looked the week earlier against Maryland, GA Tech and Duke.

GA Tech got in by stepping up in the Tourney.

Mississippi St. was tough on Kentucky both times they played. I haven't seen the NIT brackets yet, so I will be interested to see the match ups before I predict anything.

Leaving VT out makes no sense.

It's not fair to penalize VT for losing to Miami, for two reasons.

(1) Earning a bye should NEVER be a penalty, especially if you're one-and-done. Count the bye as a win.

(2) Wake Forest got JACKHAMMERED by Miami in Round 1. Yet, they're in with more losses, fewer wins, fewer ACC wins.

Even with a terrible non-conference schedule, they went 23-8! That's an insane record! I don't care who you play, if you have a 23-8 record in the ACC, you should be in the tournament EVERY year. Especially if you go 10-6 in the ACC.

VT cannot help that it played a weak conference schedule this season. You play who shows up on the schedule, and it annoys me when people use THAT lame excuse. You cannot help who your conference schedules for you.

VT should be in. Florida should be a #2-seed in the NIT, and not even able to sniff a #10-seed in the NCAAs. A complete travesty.

(1) Earning a bye should NEVER be a penalty, especially if you're one-and-done. Count the bye as a win.

(2) Wake Forest got JACKHAMMERED by Miami in Round 1. Yet, they're in with more losses, fewer wins, fewer ACC wins.

Even with a terrible non-conference schedule, they went 23-8! That's an insane record! I don't care who you play, if you have a 23-8 record in the ACC, you should be in the tournament EVERY year. Especially if you go 10-6 in the ACC.

VT cannot help that it played a weak conference schedule this season. You play who shows up on the schedule, and it annoys me when people use THAT lame excuse. You cannot help who your conference schedules for you.

VT should be in. Florida should be a #2-seed in the NIT, and not even able to sniff a #10-seed in the NCAAs. A complete travesty.

I agree. VT and Miss. St. should both be in. Minnesota got embarrassed by Ohio State losing by 29 points, and that game should have been the eliminator for them considering they were one of the bubble teams. Miss. St. played Kentucky into OT, looked good doing it. UK was lucky to survive that game. I believe the other team that should be out is Utah State. Very weak RPI.

Edited by blueinbama

Jay Bilas,who usually makes complete sense,makes no sense when he says just win,thats what you need to do.But he fails to point out that Va Tech had a better resume than three other acc teams that made it because Tech beat them head to head.Tech could have helped themselves by beating Miami but the last 2 years they have won 2 games in the Acc tournament not did as well during the regular season,and still not received a bid.The bottom line is Tech should have definately received a bid over Georgia Tech or Wake Forest or Clemson.Some people have said that Va Tech was the 66th team.Well Ron Wellman,the Wake Forest athletic director,being on the committee,could not have hurt.

For years (decades really) sports fans have made fun of UVA athletics for crying around when a decision didn't go there way. Some folks thought it was because of the law school there, they where just looking to make excuses. Verbage with an old english feel ranks high marks at Tommy J's school.

Now the school that Frank B. built, misses an opportunity to get dusted in the second round, (if they can make it there to the second round of the big dance) everyone is crying spilled milk. I just had to make a cow comment since it was Vet Tech. They are sounding like the wahoos of old, but they need more practice. So keep practicing and maybe UConn will put you hokies out in the second round of the nit and you can cry some more.

For years (decades really) sports fans have made fun of UVA athletics for crying around when a decision didn't go there way. Some folks thought it was because of the law school there, they where just looking to make excuses. Verbage with an old english feel ranks high marks at Tommy J's school.

Now the school that Frank B. built, misses an opportunity to get dusted in the second round, (if they can make it there to the second round of the big dance) everyone is crying spilled milk. I just had to make a cow comment since it was Vet Tech. They are sounding like the wahoos of old, but they need more practice. So keep practicing and maybe UConn will put you hokies out in the second round of the nit and you can cry some more.

You really think VT will get past Quinnipiac???

Wow observer you are showing some VT love, I will have to return the Wahoo favor some day lol

I think He is just looking at it like it is-rather than from a biased position,which shows some integrity!

I appreciate that. I'm just trying to be as unbiased as possible, and trying to support our conference. Also in the back of my mind is the ever-present scenario that UVA may someday be in the boat. Well, we already have, really: 1999 and 2001, but that's so long ago now.

i dont wanna take anything away from tech but did you see there schedule. i think they played northwood long beach communty college. there a good team and delaneys nasty but they will have more fun in the non important tournament instead of 1 and done in the big one. the miami loss hurt

It's simple...

I agree VT played no one! They won a few in conference games in a very weak ACC. Their SOS was like 165. Ouch. I'm sure VT was a much better team than many smaller teams that made it, but hey it's the nature of the beast.

I agree VT played no one! They won a few in conference games in a very weak ACC. Their SOS was like 165. Ouch. I'm sure VT was a much better team than many smaller teams that made it, but hey it's the nature of the beast.

very weak ACC put 6 teams in, 3 of which VT beat head to head

I know they had a weak non-conference schedule but they beat Clemson,Georgia Tech and Wake Forest and finished ahead of all three of them in the standings.The only team that did beat Tech in the non conference schedule was Temple,a five seed in the ncaa tournament.

Wake Forest finished 9-7 in the regular season,lost to Va Tech and lost in the opening round of acc tournament to Miami 83-62.They also lost to Miami earlier in the year.

Georgia Tech finished 7-9 in league play,did beat Duke earlier but lost to Va Tech.They also lost to Georgia,a team that Tech beat.They also lost to UVa.

Clemson lost to Va Tech by 11 ,also lost to NC state.

I am totally not getting this shun.

Wake Forest lost 6 of their last 7 games.These 3 teams made it.It seems to me that head to head would mean more than non-conference schedule.

No connections....How the heck did Florida get in?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=bilas_jay&id=4997699&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmens-college-basketball%2fblog%3fname%3dbilas_jay%26id%3d4997699

• Make up your mind: Last year, the complaints were about the little guys like Saint Mary's not making the field. This year, people complained that big shots like Virginia Tech and Mississippi State got the shaft. Well, which is it? Can anyone really say with a straight face that those teams didn't have a chance to prove themselves? Nobody likes to be left out of the field, and I feel for teams like Virginia Tech, Illinois and Mississippi State. But the whining and complaining of big shots is kind of silly. Seth Greenberg of Virginia Tech complained that the committee is not specific enough in providing guidance on what teams need to do to earn their way into the field. Well, let's all spell it out for those that are having a hard time with the concept: win your games against the best teams on your schedule. If you don't have enough opportunities to win, you had better schedule up and get some. Otherwise, win your league. Pretty simple stuff.