G-Men tie...

Can it be? Does Graham finally have a quality baseball coach?

Been looking 19 years for one...

Make that 27 years...1983 was the last time Graham had a good baseball coach...

Make that 27 years...1983 was the last time Graham had a good baseball coach...

Nah, it hasn't been THAT long. Were it not for some kid named Billy Wagner, Graham wins the SWD in 1989. And Graham made the Region IV playoffs in 1991 and lost an extra-inning game to Virginia High in Round 1 that year, if my research serves me right.

May MC rest in peace, but what he did to Graham's baseball program should be a felony.

Not sure the blame should go completely to MC....baseball gets almost 0 dollars from the AD. GHS baseball is last of all the sports at GHS to get any $....and from what I hear, what few $ baseball does get, it sometimes gets taken away to go to other sports. Hard to be competitive and build a program with no support from the school.

Also, the lack of an organized middle school baseball program really hurts the quality of baseball in this area as well.

You can blame A.D. at Graham all you want, but sooner or later you need to bring up the A.D.'s boss, the principal. If O'neal don't have the guts or care enough to do anything it's not just A.D.'s fault. How supportive is administration at Graham?

The very popular and organized youth soccer program in Bluefield has also hurt the baseball program. Kids start playing soccer at an early age and stick with it in high school. It should also be noted that the children of parents whom are higher socio-economically are playing soccer.

You can blame A.D. at Graham all you want, but sooner or later you need to bring up the A.D.'s boss, the principal. If O'neal don't have the guts or care enough to do anything it's not just A.D.'s fault. How supportive is administration at Graham?

True...and if I'm not mistaken O'Neal used to coach GHS baseball....or maybe he was an assistant to McKinney.

Not sure the blame should go completely to MC....baseball gets almost 0 dollars from the AD. GHS baseball is last of all the sports at GHS to get any $....and from what I hear, what few $ baseball does get, it sometimes gets taken away to go to other sports. Hard to be competitive and build a program with no support from the school.

Also, the lack of an organized middle school baseball program really hurts the quality of baseball in this area as well.

It takes more than one hand to count all the people who transferred from Graham to Tazewell simply because MC was the coach. At least, it takes more than one hand to count the people that I've asked and who have said "I transferred because of MC". I was thisclose to doing it myself way back when.

I don't think the AD deserves as much of the blame. Baseball's different from football, where there needs to be dozens of sets of pads/cleats/helmets/etc. bought on a routine basis. It takes less money, simply due to less players and less abuse on equipment. The old adage is true: a good craftsman never blames his tools. Give me a few bats, about 100 old balls, a few sets of catching gear, and some kids with their hats and gloves who want to play, and I'll give you a baseball team.

There has always been a breakdown in the middle school years in Bluefield, VA baseball. The 7th/8th grade rec league is a laugher, TBH. The fundamentals aren't established, the practice regimen isn't established, the fall ball leagues aren't established. Nothing's there, and until it is, Graham will be working with a handicap in baseball.

Then having a "coach" like MC on top of it just cripples you. 2 winning seasons in umpteen years. Any other coach would've won the Southwest EASILY with the talent he had in 2004 and 2005.

True...and if I'm not mistaken O'Neal used to coach GHS baseball....or maybe he was an assistant to McKinney.

He was Doug's assistant in 1984 and McKinney's assistant in 1985...not sure after that...

He was Doug's assistant in 1984 and McKinney's assistant in 1985...not sure after that...

Thanks G-Man....I thought he coached some....just seems to me the school/AD or whomever could throw a few more dollars toward the baseball program. I know they won't ever see big money, but a new net on the batting cages would be huge as far as the kids getting some extra bp in. Maybe spend a little so the field can drain some rain water off. Just buying the team some baseballs is pretty sad.

Thanks G-Man....I thought he coached some....just seems to me the school/AD or whomever could throw a few more dollars toward the baseball program. I know they won't ever see big money, but a new net on the batting cages would be huge as far as the kids getting some extra bp in. Maybe spend a little so the field can drain some rain water off. Just buying the team some baseballs is pretty sad.

I agree to that, you come look at Grundy and Grahams equipment to use to practice in and then you go look at Tazewell and Abington and Richlands you tell me who has the advantage.

Observer has a good bead on the core of the problem. Having watched the baseball programs around here for the last decade or so, I see two areas lacking.

Bluefield VA Little League has been the victim of petty turf battles for years, and no strong cohesive leadership and coaching. Baseball fundamentals start in Little League. Tazewell, Richlands and from what I hear Honaker and Lebanon have done a good job teaching the basics. Without the foundation there it is tough to have a solid high school program.

The other problem seems to be that baseball opportunities are few in Bluefield after Little League. I can name you several Bluefield VA kids who transferred to Tazewell to have a chance to play in a better program, with more opportunities to travel and play in the summer.

In short with out a program that does a good job building fundamentals early and opportunities for the older kids to play more after Little League, the High School program at Graham will continue to suffer.

Good point Hacker. I do know Tazewell played in GA recently and I've heard Richlands played in NC. Who funds them going to these tournys? Do the parents, do they have a baseball booster club? Do the schools pay for this? Just wondering....not trying to start anything. I think it's great that they get to go play...just wonder why Graham never does anything like this?

Observer has a good bead on the core of the problem. Having watched the baseball programs around here for the last decade or so, I see two areas lacking.

Bluefield VA Little League has been the victim of petty turf battles for years, and no strong cohesive leadership and coaching. Baseball fundamentals start in Little League. Tazewell, Richlands and from what I hear Honaker and Lebanon have done a good job teaching the basics. Without the foundation there it is tough to have a solid high school program.

The other problem seems to be that baseball opportunities are few in Bluefield after Little League. I can name you several Bluefield VA kids who transferred to Tazewell to have a chance to play in a better program, with more opportunities to travel and play in the summer.

In short with out a program that does a good job building fundamentals early and opportunities for the older kids to play more after Little League, the High School program at Graham will continue to suffer.

I like your take on fundamentals, as well. And man, you can tell the difference in the kids, even Little League aged, who have been taught fundamentals and who haven't. Even watching the kids warm up, you can tell it. That's one thing I wished that my Little League coaches had done for me: take the time to make sure that we got things right. Too much time hitting off a pitching machine, not enough time developing proper throwing mechanics. Too much simulated run-downs, not enough fielding drills. Misplaced priorities, and that sort of buildup over time hurts in the long term.

I hate to hear that the turf battles are flaring up again. There was a bit of a lull when I played in the mid-90s, but it doesn't shock me to see this. My parents kept me out of Little League for a year way back because of the politicking. When the coaches and parents bicker, the kids lose.