ESPN to air Bluefield vs. Graham

futbolking

Don't know all of the details...they haven't even filmed it yet....they're coming to film this year's Graham vs. bluefield game....and it'll air as part of a "biggest rivalries in the country" special according to WVVA....This will be ESPN's 2nd time covering this game...and 3rd time featuring the Graham G-Men.

I just hope Graham makes a game of it this year...would be embarassing to get blown out ..... on ESPN...

I remember the 1991 game was a baseball score 6-4. I'm sure this year's game will be better than last year's especially if ESPN is there. I have been wondering for years when ESPN would show back up. I don't feel that this rivalry gets the national recognition that it deserves. Hopefully we'll get more details as the game gets closer because I can't find anything about it anywhere online.

I dont think they do this special every year....I've seen it a couple of times in the past 15 years or so...

ESPN the magazine features it more often than the networks. They did a really good job with it back in 1991 and it was a great game, with Bluefield throwing essentially a hail-mary touchdown pass in the final minute trailing 4-0....yes, I said 4-0....anyway, in typical Bluefield vs. Graham fashion, Bluefield won with a big play.

I recall they opened up the segment with "dueling banjos"...and made reference to North vs. South....VA vs. WV...Bluefield vs. Bluefield....brother vs. brother...etc... it was really cool to watch.

I think this game was ranked as high as #8 in the country, in ESPN the magazine at one point.

I'm trying to think if any other rivalries around here could ever warrant that much attention.

Maybe old school PV-Appy comes to mind...

Highland vs Rocky Gap...you never want to miss that one. I make the trip every year!

8,000 to 10,000 people every year is nothing short of awesome! Been to big games in TX and OH, but nothing like the Graham/Beaver game year in year out. I've told people about the game and they do not think I am serious. Then I pull up the BDT on-line with photos just to watch their jaw drop. Deserves a little attention from ESPN no matter the outcome!

I brought my roommate to the game last year. He, from Toledo, Ohio, refused to believe me that 10,000+ roll into the stadium every year to watch a hs football game. Then we walked in about 45 min before gametime and his jaw too dropped.

Side note, idk the official number but the record for attendance was in 2007 with the new field at over 13,700

haysi / honaker is a great game but doesent have the history of graham / bluefield, the haysi honaker rivalry is only really 10-11 years old in terms of being competitive year in and year out. No where near the magnitude of Graham / Bluefield which has both interstate and city bragging rights attached

This is wonderful news and long over due in my opinion! I'd be willing to bet that 13,700 attendance record will be broken next month with ESPN rolling into town. Hopefully this all plays out as planned.

This is wonderful news and long over due in my opinion! I'd be willing to bet that 13,700 attendance record will be broken next month with ESPN rolling into town. Hopefully this all plays out as planned.

The local media outlets and town officials should do all they can to encourage people to come out to the game this year....hopefully a competitive one.

"Part of a biggest rivalries in the country special" makes me think they won't show the game, but just do reports.

And the fact that they're showing a couple of top 20 teams from Fla. at the same time reinforces that.

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/07/espn-rise-announces-new-event-espn-rise-high-school-football-kickoff/

Hoover will be down near Charlotte for a DH Sat.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/13/1560236/northwestern-vs-south-pointe-will.html

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/07/10/2300927/trojans-stallions-to-square-off.html