BHC - Aging school buildings and declining enrollment in SWVA

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/aging_schools_grapple_with_crumbling_infrastructure_shrinking_enrollment/49170/

excerpt:

School systems across the region are facing the same issues, as almost all still hold classes in aging, post World War II-era buildings. Complicating the problem in Virginia’s coalfield counties is a drastic population loss – driven by improved technology and fewer jobs in the mining industry – that has resulted in decreased funding.

This graph was also including in the BHC article, but not online:

SCHOOL ENROLLMENT NUMBERS

County----1950--------1960-------1980-------1990-------2009

Buchanan--10,934------10,553------8,074------6.407------ 3,386

Dickenson-- 6,474-------5,981------4,148------3,611-------2,573

Lee---------9,150-------7,156------5,257------4,555-------3,651

Russell------6,873-------7,262------6,072------5,271-------4,317

Scott-------6,735-------6,682------4,702------ 4,073-------3,993

Smyth------7,197-------7,404------6,321------5,559--------4,996

Tazewell---12,225-----11,977------10,006----- 8,812-------6,790

Washington-8,899-------8,980-------8,746------7,525-------7,488

Wise-------17,787-----12,587-------9,030------8,658-------6,785

Life has many choices---eternity two

I would love to see the total population numbers for each county for the same decades. That would tell us how much is population loss from folks moving (most I suspect), and how much is the decline in family sizes.

We are not alone in this rural America is dying.

This graph was also including in the BHC article, but not online:

SCHOOL ENROLLMENT NUMBERS

County----1950--------1960-------1980-------1990-------2009

Buchanan--10,934------10,553------8,074------6.407------ 3,386

Dickenson-- 6,474-------5,981------4,148------3,611-------2,573

Lee---------9,150-------7,156------5,257------4,555-------3,651

Russell------6,873-------7,262------6,072------5,271-------4,317

Scott-------6,735-------6,682------4,702------ 4,073-------3,993

Smyth------7,197-------7,404------6,321------5,559--------4,996

Tazewell---12,225-----11,977------10,006----- 8,812-------6,790

Washington-8,899-------8,980-------8,746------7,525-------7,488

Wise-------17,787-----12,587-------9,030------8,658-------6,785

Life has many choices---eternity two

This was also in BHC today, but not on line:

POPULATION CHANGES BY COUNTY

County------1980------Est. 2009 Population------Change------Percent

Buchanan--37,989--------22,860------------------<15,129>-----minus 40%

Dickenson--19,806--------16,087-------------------<3,719>-----minus 19%

Lee--------25,956--------25,166---------------------<790>-----minus 3%

Russell-----31,761--------29,250--------------------<2,511>----minus 8%

Scott-------25,068--------22,585--------------------<2,483>----minus 10%

Smyth-----33,366--------31,738---------------------<1,628>----minus 5%

Tazewell---50,511--------44,907---------------------<5,604>----minus 11%

Washington-46,487-------53,018----------------------6,531------plus 14%

Wise--------43,863-------41,773----------------------<2,090>----minus 5%

I just did some quick and dirty math on these. I used Tazewell and Washington Co. Washington Co. lost 14% enrollment while gaining population

Tazewell Co. lost 32% enrollment with an 11% population drop.

It shows what I expected, declining enrollments have two elements; people moving out, and the fewwe number of children being born.

Yeah, I bet you would also see a trend in the average age of the population. I would bet the average Southwest Virginian is much older than they were in 1980. And you're right, family size is shrinking. Lets get on it guys, no less than 6 kids per family.

This mornings paper (monday) quotes Tazewell County School Building supervisor saying they will be closing another high school in the near future. What does he know that everyone in the county does not know? Which high school is the one to close?

This mornings paper (monday) quotes Tazewell County School Building supervisor saying they will be closing another high school in the near future. What does he know that everyone in the county does not know? Which high school is the one to close?

Sad times. For all of us.

I think someone probably got his wrist slapped for that. I expect that will start so good rumors in Tazewell Co.

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/more_than_one_strategy_employed_to_maintain_older_schools/49197/

excerpt:

Even those counties that have been through consolidation recognize that as long as they’re continuing to lose population, the issue isn’t dead.

“It’s a lot of hush-hush because next year’s an election year and they don’t want to hear the word consolidation right now,†said Terry Hall, a member of the Buchanan County Board of Supervisors. “But it’s going to happen. There just aren’t enough kids.â€

In Tazewell County, which is likely to close another high school in the near future, Simpson said an important decision on schools takes both boards – the School Board and Board of Supervisors – working together.

“I don’t think they get anywhere by fighting each other,†he said. “That goes for any county.â€

process of elimination...

school A has a brand new fieldhouse and school B is building a brand new fieldhouse.

So I'd say school C, which would also lead to the fewest # of kids leaving the county.

Throw in that one also has a two year old HVAC system, and ding, ding, ding we may have a winner.

Hmmmm.... I guess Graham shouldn't get too comfortable in Group A.

Boy, will that cause a HUGE stink...gonna be lots of angry folks in the central part of the county...

Its no real secret. There have been talks of a 2 High School System in Tazewell County for sometime. And the school on the chopping block is Tazewell. I dont think it will happen anytime soon but it will happen.

Its no real secret. There have been talks of a 2 High School System in Tazewell County for sometime. And the school on the chopping block is Tazewell. I dont think it will happen anytime soon but it will happen.

But it will still cause a huge stink when it comes to fruition...and I think it will happen sooner than most think...

Didn't they have an independent study a few years ago that advised them to close all four high schools and build two new ones? And didn't they decide instead to close one school and renovate the other three? Has any work been done at Tazewell, or just Richlands and Graham? Are they trying to "backdoor" the original recommendation without building anything?

Didn't they have an independent study a few years ago that advised them to close all four high schools and build two new ones? And didn't they decide instead to close one school and renovate the other three? Has any work been done at Tazewell, or just Richlands and Graham? Are they trying to "backdoor" the original recommendation without building anything?

Exactly what I was thinking...nice call BigD...

I thought they were going to do renovations/additions at Tazewell? If they haven't started doing anything then maybe THS is the school the guy in the paper was alluding to..

This was also in BHC today, but not on line:

POPULATION CHANGES BY COUNTY

County------1980------Est. 2009 Population------Change------Percent

Buchanan--37,989--------22,860------------------<15,129>-----minus 40%

Dickenson--19,806--------16,087-------------------<3,719>-----minus 19%

Lee--------25,956--------25,166---------------------<790>-----minus 3%

Russell-----31,761--------29,250--------------------<2,511>----minus 8%

Scott-------25,068--------22,585--------------------<2,483>----minus 10%

Smyth-----33,366--------31,738---------------------<1,628>----minus 5%

Tazewell---50,511--------44,907---------------------<5,604>----minus 11%

Washington-46,487-------53,018----------------------6,531------plus 14%

Wise--------43,863-------41,773----------------------<2,090>----minus 5%

Let's take a wild shot in the dark here: in which county does our "Congressman" "reside"?

Yep. Thought so.

But it will still cause a huge stink when it comes to fruition...and I think it will happen sooner than most think...

You'll be dead and I'll be an old, old man. Trust me on this one, despite what a Tennessee news paper is selling...

Not saying it shouldn't, because it ABSOLUTELY should. Tazewell East and Tazewell West. It just won't.

Edited by UVAObserver

You'll be dead and I'll be an old, old man. Trust me on this one, despite what a Tennessee news paper is selling...

Not saying it shouldn't, because it ABSOLUTELY should. Tazewell East and Tazewell West. It just won't.

In truth, if consolidation does come, I expect the "bottom line" folks to win the argument. Which will they prefer, two $25 million facilities or one $40 million? The numbers are just for arguments sake, I have no clue what new schools cost these days. I am sure that someone can tell us what the new Fleming High School cost Roanoke.

In truth, if consolidation does come, I expect the "bottom line" folks to win the argument. Which will they prefer, two $25 million facilities or one $40 million? The numbers are just for arguments sake, I have no clue what new schools cost these days. I am sure that someone can tell us what the new Fleming High School cost Roanoke.

I think that the "bottom line" argument submarines consolidation in the short/medium term. Tazewell County just doesn't have the capital to break ground on two new high schools, and unless someone with Jim Ramey's stature decides to write a check of miraculous proportions to fund the consolidation, I cannot foresee TC having that sort of capital in the foreseeable future. Even if TC did have it, I don't trust the powers that be to spend it wisely...

However, I think that you are right in your analysis, that it's cheaper to run 1 large school than to run 2 smaller schools. I'd even go so far as to say that it's a wiser investment for 40-50 years down the road. But it falls into the "Mitchell Stadium" line of reasoning: sure, it'll cost more in the long-long-term, but without the money to front the costs, it's more beneficial to do that which is more expensive.

The other factor to always keep in mind is that there are ways to get the money, but there is no will. I do agree that it will be a long while before we see new facilities; court houses, jails, landfills, Social Services & Health Departments to be paid off.

For a county with no resources, there sure has been a heck of a lot of construction of public buildings in the last decade or so.

Let's take a wild shot in the dark here: in which county does our "Congressman" "reside"?

Yep. Thought so.

Huh? wha???????

What's that got to do with aging buildings and/or consolidation?

Would you prefer he live in Roanoke?