Any word...

frito gonzales

on any tailgating restrictions for Graham/Beaver yet?

City Board was asked this question last night and stated there would be a designated area for tailgating but did not mention anything more...basically because they don't have a clue...

They have a clue now:

http://bdtonline.com/local/x743764615/City-puts-limits-on-tailgating

City puts limits on tailgating

By BRIAN WOODSON Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Andy Merriman understands the appeal of tailgating. He just feels that it should have its limits.

With the Beaver-Graham football game approaching in just over a week, Merriman has devised a “Fan Zone” at Mitchell Stadium, a small section of the parking lot where tailgaters will be limited for next Friday’s highly-anticipated game.

In the past, tailgaters have been located throughout the large lot, oftentimes taking up valuable parking spaces. While Merriman knows the changes won’t be popular, the Bluefield city manager felt they were needed.

“This is an effort to bring some equity to both groups of people, those folks that want to “tailgate” or “party” if you will, and the folks that show up half an hour before the game starts to watch the football game,” Merriman said.

“It’s going to be a little bit different, but I do hope it makes this thing run a little more smoothly, and helps to curtail some of the traffic issues that we see along Stadium Drive.”

The “Fan Zone” will be a 60-space or so portion of the parking lot located inside the barriers adjacent to the Bluefield City Auditorium. The area will stretch parallel to the first row of steps that lead from the lot to the hill near the Bluefield Rescue Squad.

“It is just going to be an area for folks that if they have a trailer or a tent they want to set up, this is where they are going to do it,” said Merriman, who added there would be some “wiggle” room if more space is needed. “It is going to be designated for them and them alone.

“We are not charging anything for it. The rest of the parking lot on both sides, we are not going to allow any of that kind of stuff. If it is a parking spot, it is going to be a parking spot, it is not going to be taken up by a trailer or a tent.”

Now in his second year in Bluefield, Merriman said the changes became necessary after witnessing and hearing about some of the problems last August, ranging from parking issues to problems with alcoholic beverages.

“What you have got are people parking up and down Stadium Drive, and it turns into just a logistical nightmare,” Merriman said. “Furthermore there are also folks that have probably done things they probably shouldn’t have been doing at these games, drinking or whatever, and it has really inflamed some passions and I think that is rightly so.”

Tailgaters usually begin gathering a day or two before the game, and Merriman said the enforcement would begin then. He added that once the designated area is full — possibly as early as noon on Friday — the area will be roped off, at least to any more vehicles, trailers or tents.

“We are going to move them on if there is no room and they want to come,” Merriman said. “We are not allowing tents to be set up, we are not allowing trailers to set up. We are not going to usurp any parking spaces from anybody else.”

Merriman emphasized that no other sections of the parking lot will be used for tailgating.

“That is not to say that folks can’t barbecue, can’t set up tents or can’t show up a day or two early and just hang out,” Merriman said. “That is just fine, but when you do that and it is scattered all over two parking lots you take up parking spaces and it just creates an area where there is no continuity in the flow of the parking.”

Merriman added that while cookouts are encouraged, the use of alcoholic beverages — which has been a problem in the past — is illegal, and violators are risking arrest.

“The important thing to stress is there is a no public display of alcohol law on both sides of the state line and that will be enforced, but there is no ‘cooking of a pig’ law on either side,” Merriman said. “What I am trying to do, if you want to barbecue, barbecue, if you want to have soft drinks and coolers, have soft drinks and coolers, but we are going to do it right here.”

Merriman isn’t anti-tailgating. He just wants to make sure the annual rivalry is a memorable evening for all, without the issues of the past.

“We are looking forward to a great game, and really in my estimation this is a minor change,” Merriman said. “All I am doing is taking people that are spread out all over the parking lot and putting them into one area.

“Really this is a positive thing, I think it meets everybody in the middle and it might even provide a safer more family-friendly environment for this game.”

Merriman is looking forward to Aug. 27 when the two teams take the field. He played football as a high schooler for crowds in excess of 25,000 in South Carolina, and also played at Tusculum College in Tennessee.

Yet, none had the tradition of Bluefield and Graham.

“I will say I didn’t play anywhere where there is as rich a tradition as far as a rivalry goes,” Merriman said. “We played in front of more people, but no one really appreciated it like they do here and that is what is magical about this event.

“The Beaver-Graham game is a great event for this area and it is the people’s football game. I am going to try to accommodate everybody the best I can.”

—Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

Resolve parking issues on Stadium Drive??? In case Merriman did not know, parking has been an issue on Stadium Drive for this game longer than most people have been alive that attend this game.

No one knows how many parking spaces are there in the lots anyway, because the paint faded off years ago and it hasn't been redone!!! The disorganization of the parking lots from lack of lines being painted use more space that tents or RVs. The City thought it was better to spend money on water fountains around town and trains on display at Chickory Square.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Wonder if you set a tent up in the grass towards the Bowen Field end of the parking lot would they allow that since thats not "parking" spots? Way to screw up one of the greatest traditions in this area Merriman!!

Thats what I was thinking. From the picture in the paper, website is not working for me, where exactly is the area. The decription by Woodson is not that great either.

Thats what I was thinking. From the picture in the paper, website is not working for me, where exactly is the area. The decription by Woodson is not that great either.

What I gathered from a quick glance at the article this morning is that the designated area will be by the Rec Center. Makes more sense to put it in the grass area towards Bowen Field. The tailgaters are in no hurry in beating traffic to and from the game, they arrive early and leave late. Put them in the back corner, where they've always tended to congregate anyways, and let the people who want to "fight" traffic park towards the exits. I'd assume that the parking by the Rec is considered "prime parking" because of it's size and relatively short distance to Stadium Drive.

Like bhs7695 said, traffic has been an issue long before any of us were probably even born.

EDIT (I didn't ready very closely):

The “Fan Zone” will be a 60-space or so portion of the parking lot located inside the barriers adjacent to the Bluefield City Auditorium. The area will stretch parallel to the first row of steps that lead from the lot to the hill near the Bluefield Rescue Squad.
Edited by hokie07

Its actually the upper end of the Mitchell Stadium parking lot...before you get to the rec center.

Merriman's an idiot...I wish more people would recognize so we could jack him from our City...need to get Whalen out too...she's one of the prime reasons for the waste of money on "decorations" for a decaying infrastructure...

Guest StoneyCalhoun

So what is the penalty if you do not abide? I want to tailgate at the field, what can they do to me?

And traffic was fine, no one drives up behind the barriers where we used to tailgate.

Merriman, go home.

So what is the penalty if you do not abide? I want to tailgate at the field, what can they do to me?

I'd like to know the same...You would think he would atleast let us know what the consequences would be. I say they will have their hands full with alot of the "early morning" tailgaiters that usually show up first.

And traffic was fine, no one drives up behind the barriers where we used to tailgate.

Merriman, go home.

Technically, they can ask you kindly to tailgate in the tailgating area. If you don't do so, they can request you leave altogether. If you don't do that, you may be hauled in for disturbing the peace charges, or the city of Bluefield's equivalent.

But in reality, nothing.

Merriman, go home.

The barriers are gone...they are putting in islands so the Mayor can plant more flowers...

This is the hand we've been dealt. Now what are we going to do? tailgate without adult beverages, try to keep it in cups, or just go to the game? No where to relieve ones self on that end of the parking lot ether. My party and myself already have the day off work as usual some from out of town.

Now what are we going to do? tailgate without adult beverages, try to keep it in cups, or just go to the game?

As far as I know, you've never been "allowed" to drink alcohol at the Beaver-Graham game.

Keep the cooler closed, your beverage of choice in a cup, dispose of any empty cans/containers and you shouldn't have any problems (if your ID says you are 21 ;) ).

Everyone can thank the handful of drunken idiots that created the bevy of problems in the parking lot last year during the game for these changes. I can see the City's point in moving tailgating to a specific location. They believe they'll be better able to "police" the consumption of alcohol if all tailgaters are placed in one location. This may work to a degree, but it will not completely solve the issue of drunken idiots creating problems or stop people from drinking in the parking lot. We live in a society where the overriding thought is you cannot have fun and enjoy sporting events without consuming alcohol.

Like Hokie said alcohol has been prohibited for awhile now...Last year the cops came up to our group and just told us to make sure everything was in plastic cups and everything will be fine. I guess they realize it would be easier letting it go than trying to arrest about 500-1000 people. I have a feeling their will be many more articles about this topic in the following days.

http://bdtonline.com/editorials/x1804458787/Crowd-control-Tailgating-rules-a-sensible-solution

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

While tailgating has been a long tradition at the annual Beaver-Graham football game, it has also become problematic in recent years.

That’s why City Manger Andy Merriman is trying to get the word out about some new rules that will be enforced by law enforcement officials in both West Virginia and Virginia. Merriman has devised a “fan zone†at Mitchell Stadium, a small section of the parking lot where tailgaters will be limited during the “Battle of the Bluefields†gridiron contest next weekend.

The “fan zone†will be a 60-space or so portion of the parking lot located inside the barriers adjacent to the Bluefield City Auditorium. The area will stretch parallel to the first row of steps that lead from the lot to the hill near the Bluefield Rescue Squad.

If you plan to bring a recreational vehicle, trailer, tent or grill for some major tailgating, you will be assigned to the fan zone. If you want to bring some hot dogs, sandwiches and sodas to the big game and simply serve the food out of the back of your vehicle, you won’t be required to locate to the fan zone. Enjoying food and soda in the parking lots off Stadium Drive will be allowed, according to Merriman. A public display or consumption of alcohol will not be allowed.

In the past, tailgaters have been located throughout the large lot, often taking up valuable parking spaces. But even more troubling is the fact that parents with children often had to walk past individuals consuming alcoholic beverages. Children should not be exposed to such activities.

According to Merriman, the changes became necessary after witnessing and hearing about some of the problems last August, ranging from parking issues to problems with alcohol.

“What you have got are people parking up and down Stadium Drive, and it turns into just a logistical nightmare,†Merriman said Wednesday. “Furthermore there are also folks that have probably done things they probably shouldn’t have been doing at these games, drinking or whatever, and it has really inflamed some passions and I think that is rightly so.â€

Tailgaters usually begin gathering a day or two before the game, and Merriman said the enforcement would begin at that time. He added that once the designated area is full — possibly as early as noon on Friday — the area will be roped off, at least to any more vehicles, trailers or tents.

Tailgating will not be allowed in any other sections of the parking lot. WHILE COOKOUTS WILL STILL BE ALLOWED IN THE NEW FAN ZONE, MERRIMAN SAID ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WILL BE STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THOSE WHO ARE CAUGHT BY AUTHORITIES CONSUMING ALCOHOL WILL BE ARRESTED.

We believe the city’s new tailgating rules make sense. Merriman’s decision to have a designated fan zone for large tailgating parties appears to be a logical compromise for those who are hoping to cook out or gather before the big game.

However, no family or child should be forced to walk past large tailgating parties where alcoholic beverages are being consumed. We believe the new rules outlined by Merriman make sense.

We hope fans will work with the city on this compromise plan and follow the new rules.

Edited by beaverbaseball

I emailed Merriman and his reply was that the city does encourage tailgating anywhere you want as long as you don't set up a tent, trailor, or anything elaborate. This guy is such a joke. If they charged for parking I could see where they might be able to dictate what goes on, but the fact that its free parking makes me wonder how they can really enforce anything. Was there an actual ordinance passed or have they just come up with a "rule"? I got a feeling that by cramming all these people in such a small area there will be some major problems. Merriman needs to go back to SC!!!

Like I said before, the parking on Stadium Drive has always been an issue regardless whether tailgating is going on or not. I can remember being six or seven years old with my Dad going to the annual battle and we had to park in the parking lot of the cleaners and walk down Stadium Drive to the game. That was, what, two or three blocks?? 8K - 12K people in the area to attend a high school game can't possibly all park in the parking lots

Give me a break Andy Merriman!!!

I guess Andy Merriman has never attended a college game where tailgating was involve due to little kids walking through the parking lots where *GASP* ALCOHOL WAS PRESENT!!!

Like I said before, the parking on Stadium Drive has always been an issue regardless whether tailgating is going on or not. I can remember being six or seven years old with my Dad going to the annual battle and we had to park in the parking lot of the cleaners and walk down Stadium Drive to the game. That was, what, two or three blocks?? 8K - 12K people in the area to attend a high school game can't possibly all park in the parking lots

Give me a break Andy Merriman!!!

I guess Andy Merriman has never attended a college game where tailgating was involve due to little kids walking through the parking lots where *GASP* ALCOHOL WAS PRESENT!!!

Maybe Mr. Merriman should visit Morgantown sometime for a WVU game....I went a couple of years back and those people take tailgating to a whole new level......Kegs were being carried through the streets and everything. Wild bunch up there

http://bdtonline.com/editorials/x1804458787/Crowd-control-Tailgating-rules-a-sensible-solution

WHILE COOKOUTS WILL STILL BE ALLOWED IN THE NEW FAN ZONE, MERRIMAN SAID ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WILL BE STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THOSE WHO ARE CAUGHT BY AUTHORITIES CONSUMING ALCOHOL WILL BE ARRESTED.

The question is: Do they have enough police officers and space in the two local jails to arrest that many people?