Tazewell @ Lebanon

blow_tornado_dog

Hate to keep saying it but somebody in the doghouse need to take charge of the defense.Kids did a great job on Offense tonight but it hard to win giving up over 30 pts. a night.The defense has been weak since I played in 2003.

08-09 we only allowed 20 points 3 out of 12 games so i wouldnt say that defense was very weak. And that was a Burton coached Defense.

08-09 we only allowed 20 points 3 out of 12 games so i wouldnt say that defense was very weak. And that was a Burton coached Defense.

The degense wasn't that bad. Adjustments should have been made, but compare the D last night to the D of the previous two games. A huge improvement and a job well done on getting points and almost winning a game. Now just keep building on that and we will be ok.

John Duty’s 43-yard touchdown pass to John Honaker with 0:23 left propelled Lebanon to a stunning 31-24 victory over visiting Tazewell Friday. The Pioneers (2-1) scored 21 unanswered points including two fourth quarter touchdowns over the improving Bulldogs (0-3).

Cody McCann, who passed for two scores, ran in for a one-yard touchdown with 8:26 left in the third stanza to give THS a 24-7 lead. From then on, the Pioneers made every necessary play against the luckless Bulldogs.

Andrew Murray drilled a school record 45 yard field goal with 11:55 remaining in the first half to push Tazewell in front 3-0. The kick, which kept a 14-play drive, gave the Dogs their first points of the season.

Chris Belcher, who led Lebanon with 149 yards rushing on 15 carries, scored on the next Pioneer offensive play going 80 yards down the right sideline. Tazewell’s Jalen Jordan almost made a touchdown-saving tackle at the five but Belcher bolted over for the score. Trevor Adams kicked the point after and Lebanon took a 7-3 lead with 11:39 to go in the half. The Bulldog defense had held the Pioneers to one yard in the first quarter.

A sparkling catch and an 11-yard touchdown highlighted Brad Rhudy’s effort on the next series as he pushed the Dogs to another score on a pass from McCann. Murray’s PAT made it 10-7 in favor of the Dogs with 9:44 to go before the break.

Mikal Moore’s blocked punt on the 21 set up Tazewell’s next touchdown. McCann fired a perfect spiral to Jordan, who made a leaping catch in the right corner of the endzone for the score. Murray drilled the PAT and Tazewell took a 17-7 advantage with 8:21 left in the second period.

Moore, Kyle Sheets, Mikey Wright, Shaquille McDonald, Jordan, Guye Turner and Carter Rasnick were among the Bulldogs with good defensive efforts.

McCann went in standing up on a one-yard run at the 8:26 mark of the third stanza to cap an eight-play, 68-yard march. Murray kicked the point after to put Tazewell ahead 24-7.

Duty answered quickly for the Pioneers. He threw a 26-yard pass for the score to Salyers slightly less than two minutes after the Bulldogs scored. Adams kicked the point after. Adams next booted a 28-yard field goal with 2:52 remaining in the third quarter as the Pioneers moved to within 24-17. Salyers intercepted a pass at the 45 to set up the score.

Lebanon tied the score on an 80-yard drive which took just over four minutes and came with 3:39 left. Belcher went in from ten yards out and Adams tied it.

The Bulldogs lost momentum on a heart-breaking call. Murray appeared to have a first down when he ran on a fourth and eight from the 37. It looked as if he made it to the 48 but the ball was spotted a yard short and the Pioneers took over. A minute later Duty found Honaker and the Pioneers found victory. Lane Addison Jr. intercepted a pass to seal the win for the Pioneers in the final seconds. Tazewell totaled 269 yards and the winning Pioneers got 344 with 208 rushing and 136 passing. McCann completed 11 of 17 for 150 yards and two scores for the Bulldogs and was intercepted twice. Joe Grubb rushed for 54 yards as the Bulldogs picked up 119 on the ground.

Tazewell hosts Carroll County in Southwest District action Friday.

At Bulldog Stadium

Lebanon.........0 17 7 0 — 24

Tazewell.........0 7 10 14 — 31

First Quarter

Taz — Murray 45 yard field goal, 11:55

Leb — Belcher 8 run (Adams kick), 11:39

Taz — Rhudy 11 yard pass from McCann (Murray kick), 9:44

Taz — Jordan 21 yard pass from McCann (Murray kick), 8:21

Third Quarter

Taz — McCann 1 run (Murray kick), 8:26

Leb — Salyers 26 yard pass from Duty (Adams kick), 6:15

Leb — Adams 28 yard field goal, 2:52

Fourth Quarter

Leb — Belcher 10 run (Adams kick), 3:39

Leb — Honaker 43 yard pass from Duty (Adams kick), 0:23

It sounds to me like the dogs grew up a lot last night. Good job for a young team. Everybody needs to remember that they are still learning a new system with young players. they just need to keep improving each week.

I know I'm a blues fan looking in, but I know a lot of the kids up there and have a lot of friends in Tazewell. I still hope my blues beat the dogs, but when they are not playing each other I keep an eye on them and wish them the best.

Saw this last night on Channel 11 sports coverage--watch the crunch of the night that Shaq puts on a Pioneer.

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2010/sep/11/1/touchdown-friday-night-910-35097-vi-20176/

Congrats to the Dawgs for a good showing, keep on improving each week--your week will come

Live has many choices---eternity two