Jmu-21, vt-16, final

Deleted Account

I realize that the majority of people calling for Beamer's and Foster's heads are mainly bandwagoners that have jumped aboard since 1999. I also realize they have no idea of the shape of the program before Beamer and the history of VT football prior to Beamer.

But to call for the head of a man that has taken a program to 17 straight bowls for a program that went to only 4 or 5 in the previous 90 years is utterly ridiculous. And Foster? Are you kidding? Yeah, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina pulled out all the stops to get him. He must be terrible.

For any VT fan who thinks the grass is greener on the other side, just look at the case of other successful orograms in the region before you make that assumption.

Phil Fulmer won a frickin national title at UT and came close to a couple of others. He was forced out and Lane Kiffin was brought in. How'd that work out? They are now being investigated by the NCAA and had to settle for their 4th or 5th choice for a new coach.

Don Nehlen was a legend at WVU and was basically forced out. RIch Rod had a few good years, but I don't know too many Mountaineers that would ever want him back. And lets not even mention Bill Stewart.

George Welsh turned UVa from a laughingstock into an exceptional program. A few 7 win seasons at the end of his career left Wahoos wanting for more. Enter Al Groh? Again, how'd that work out?

Granted, I think Frank is going to have to take a hard look at changing some of his philosophies and replacing a couple of staff members. But let's be honest, it's not like VT is going to bring in Nick Saban or Urban Meyer. For goodness sake, when Beamer almost took the UNC job, Weaver was rumored to be after Gary Darnell from Western Michigan.

So before you usher Beamer out the door, just remember, those who fail to understand their past are doomed to repeat it.

Great post, and how very true it is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foster isn't overrated. He's continually maintained a top-level defense year after year, new faces after new faces. At some point, the defense is going to have a down year. The defense has carried the program for the past 5-6 years, when will the offense carry it's own wait? As for Beamer, loyalty has overridden his hunger to win at the highest level. He'd rather kept the status quo than achieve the ultimate success. This loss could be a positive for VT if it creates an uproar within the fan base and people start pulling $$$ until changes occur.

That's what I meant with Beamer. His special teams used to be the top in the country, but it has cost them a win in the past few years.

Foster is nationally underrated. He is a good coach, but locally he is overrated. People are quick to jump on the fire the OC bandwagon, but I %100 believe that Foster's play calling has lost them most of the big time games that Tech has played in the past few years. Stat wise his defense's looks good, but when it comes down to big time plays in big time games, he and the rest of the Hokie coaches/players choke.

Tech does win 10+ games normally every year which is good..that is if you're not trying to win a NC.

Yes...you are the only one...feel special now???

am I also the only one that notices that Tech has great talent on the field, but is also 0-2 with a loss to a FCS school? Coaches get paid the big bucks to get the most out of their talent.

am i the only one that notices that foster and beamer are way overrated as coaches??

As I said, Beamer took a moribund program that had been to 4 or 5 bowls in 90 years to 17 straight bowls, one national title game, six conference championships, 2 BCS bowl victories, six straight 10-win seasons, and 10 of the last 11 against UVa. No offense to you personally, but the man has forgotten more football than probably all of the posters on this board will ever know combined. I'm of the mind that I'll trust his opinion over a few upset message board posters.

Again, having said that, there clearly needs to be some adjusted philosophies. I swear, I think Stinespring has a chart with six plays and rolls a dice to decide which one to pick. And the OL always takes 2/3s of the season to gell. But having sat through seeing VT lose to VMI in front of a measly 10,000 people three decades ago, to seeing where the program has gone since then, I'll trust Beamer for the time-being. A couple of bad losses don't outweigh 17 unbelieveable seasons. But maybe that' s just me.

As I said, Beamer took a moribund program that had been to 4 or 5 bowls in 90 years to 17 straight bowls, one national title game, six conference championships, 2 BCS bowl victories, six straight 10-win seasons, and 10 of the last 11 against UVa. No offense to you personally, but the man has forgotten more football than probably all of the posters on this board will ever know combined. I'm of the mind that I'll trust his opinion over a few upset message board posters.

Again, having said that, there clearly needs to be some adjusted philosophies. I swear, I think Stinespring has a chart with six plays and rolls a dice to decide which one to pick. And the OL always takes 2/3s of the season to gell. But having sat through seeing VT lose to VMI in front of a measly 10,000 people three decades ago, to seeing where the program has gone since then, I'll trust Beamer for the time-being. A couple of bad losses don't outweigh 17 unbelieveable seasons. But maybe that' s just me.

i agree with you on that. he is a good head coach..in saying overrated I mean special teams coach.

i agree with you on that. he is a good head coach..in saying overrated I mean special teams coach.

I just think the game finally caught up to Beamer's special teams. Our special teams are no longer special, or as special as they were. A lot of the special team's stuff is still attributable to Bud Foster. Other than the kickers, most of the big plays on special teams stem from Foster's defensive players.

I realize that the majority of people calling for Beamer's and Foster's heads are mainly bandwagoners that have jumped aboard since 1999. I also realize they have no idea of the shape of the program before Beamer and the history of VT football prior to Beamer.

But to call for the head of a man that has taken a program to 17 straight bowls for a program that went to only 4 or 5 in the previous 90 years is utterly ridiculous. And Foster? Are you kidding? Yeah, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina pulled out all the stops to get him. He must be terrible.

For any VT fan who thinks the grass is greener on the other side, just look at the case of other successful orograms in the region before you make that assumption.

Phil Fulmer won a frickin national title at UT and came close to a couple of others. He was forced out and Lane Kiffin was brought in. How'd that work out? They are now being investigated by the NCAA and had to settle for their 4th or 5th choice for a new coach.

Don Nehlen was a legend at WVU and was basically forced out. RIch Rod had a few good years, but I don't know too many Mountaineers that would ever want him back. And lets not even mention Bill Stewart.

George Welsh turned UVa from a laughingstock into an exceptional program. A few 7 win seasons at the end of his career left Wahoos wanting for more. Enter Al Groh? Again, how'd that work out?

Granted, I think Frank is going to have to take a hard look at changing some of his philosophies and replacing a couple of staff members. But let's be honest, it's not like VT is going to bring in Nick Saban or Urban Meyer. For goodness sake, when Beamer almost took the UNC job, Weaver was rumored to be after Gary Darnell from Western Michigan.

So before you usher Beamer out the door, just remember, those who fail to understand their past are doomed to repeat it.

I'll have to agree whole-heartedly with this post. I was a Coach Phil Fulmer supporter, and caught hell for it. Fulmer was a victim of his own success. Had he not won a NC in 1998, he would still be the HC in Knoxville. He won 75% of his games, (2) SEC Titles, and a NC. The guys played at UT and dedicated his life to UT. Once he won the NC, nothing else was ever good enough. So then here comes Lame Kitten, makes UT the laughing stock of the SEC, if not the nation. Screws UT over big time, and has left Coach Dooley (whom I respect and like and think he'll be fine) with a mess. UT will be back. So all you VT Fans, watch what you wish for, you might get it.

Have to give Beamer credit for creating a competitive program where none existed before.

That said, he and his staff are probably the most overrated (as well as overcompensated) group in all of college football. Apologists will trot out various statistics in support of them when pressed (like Foster's defensive rankings -- regardless of the fact that he's racking those up against ACC defenses and a steady diet of MAC-level schools), but the fact remains that these guys are treated and paid as though they've reached a level of success that they simply haven't.

If Lloyd Carr is aware of the situation in Blacksburg, he's got to be scratching his head now.

Have to give Beamer credit for creating a competitive program where none existed before.

That said, he and his staff are probably the most overrated (as well as overcompensated) group in all of college football. Apologists will trot out various statistics in support of them when pressed (like Foster's defensive rankings -- regardless of the fact that he's racking those up against ACC defenses and a steady diet of MAC-level schools), but the fact remains that these guys are treated and paid as though they've reached a level of success that they simply haven't.

If Lloyd Carr is aware of the situation in Blacksburg, he's got to be scratching his head now.

BTW, I'm not one of the Hokie fans who is calling for Beamer's head. Given the way his contract is structured, that's not an option anyway.

My own observation is that the business model of the VT football program is very seriously flawed.

Edited by RichlandsAlum
fixed typo

I realize that the majority of people calling for Beamer's and Foster's heads

I'm not calling for Beamer's and Foster's heads, only Newsome's and Stinespring's...and if they wanted to go for the trifecta, they could go ahead and add O'Cain's to the barrel....

Back at you, Vol fan...48-13 after leading 13-3...45 straight points...ouch...

Thanks, Even though I did kind of expect we would get drilled at home. Did you expect JMU to win that one? :D

exactly the point I was trying to make.

Thanks, Even though I did kind of expect we would get drilled at home. Did you expect JMU to win that one? :D

To be honest, I wasn't as shocked as most people were...hopefully this is the "bitchslap" that will get everyone else's attention...

I didn't realize this, but I found out that in the ESPN - ACC contract for the Labor Day night game, that ESPN gets to pick which ACC team plays in that game and there is nothing the picked team can do about it. ESPN were the ones that moved VT and BSU to play that game Monday night since the rating of the Miami - FSU games the past few years had gotten so poor. ESPN wanted a change and they got better ratings out of it. I was blaming Weaver for screwing up the schedule and giving the team a short week to prepare for a game.

Another thing I remember a co-worker telling me a few years back. He was at a coal association function at The Greenbrier and Don Nehlen was there as part of the Friends of Coal. My co-worker had talked to Don over the years at these functions and they have become friends. A question he asked Don was which year at WVU did he think he had his most talented team. Don said his felt his most talented team was the 1998 squad that featured Bulger and Zereoue. Unfortunately, that year WVU was preseason #9 and opened at home against #3 Ohio State. WVU lost that game 34-17 and Don said he never got that team's confidence back the rest of the year.

Virginia Tech may be going through the same thing with all the preseason hype, but I still think they didn't have the experience or depth to make a run at a MNC this year anyway.

I'm glad that they got beat! I have caught a lot of flack being a UT becasue they were ranked #10 and beat an unranked UT team. Now no one can say a word becasue JMU beat them I love it.