Grundy next year.

Jason

My understanding is that the COE approved there revised plans and that breaking ground could happen as soon as this spring

The Wise Co consoladation COULD happen as soon as next year

I I had to come up with a re districing that would acompany this it would be as follows

New LPD - DC, Wise/Pound, PV/Appy, Lee, GC, Norton

CD - TW, Coeburn, RC, TS, St Paul, CW

New CMD - VHS, JB, Leb, Honaker, Grundy, TV, Hurley

(TW could get moved to the LPD for travel reasons and TV and Hurley could then slid into the CD)

(A 4th District could be added if Tazwell and Richlands were to drop)

I

I dont see GC going back to the LPD.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could go with the "Coon Dogs"

LOL I kid :)

I figure Dickenson Co will end up the Ralfe Stanley memorial duleing bangos or something LOL

How about the Fighting Dick Colleys? The mascot can be a dirty old moonshiner :D That came from the old BDD board. Did you ever post on there counts?

I dont see GC going back to the LPD.

IDK if the alternative is making trips to Grundy and Hurly several times a year they may deside that the short travel time to Wise east, Wise West and DC would be prefable

I would like to see pioneers or mountaineers for Dickenson co, in honor of dick colley and John Mullins (early settlers for those who dont know) and Fightin' Mountaineers or Pioneers sounds good to me!

Thats my thinking Counts, I tried to put schools in districts that were geographically close and not by previous association (since so many of the schools will be "new"

Edited by redtiger

IDK if the alternative is making trips to Grundy and Hurly several times a year they may deside that the short travel time to Wise east, Wise West and DC would be prefable

Have you actually heard this will be the district setups?

I just cant see them dropping to 3 districts.

LPD - DC, Wise/Pound, PV/Appy, Norton, TW,

CD - Coeburn, RC, TS, St Paul, CW

CMD - VHS, JB, Leb, GC, Lee

BDD Honaker, Grundy, TV, Hurley

Lee might make the move to the LPD but Thomas Walker is already pushing to join the LPD. The BDD could also pick up Dickenson County. If travel is a concern I could even see Gate City in a same district with their county brothers TS and RC. Too many possibilities but I dont see much change at all with what we already have. By the time this actually rolls around Richlands and Tazewell will likely be single a. Then we could see...

LPD - Wise/Pound, PV/Appy, Norton, TW, Lee

CMD - VHS, JB, Leb, GC, Richlands

BDD Honaker, Grundy, TV, Hurley, DC,

Tazewell would likely join one of the Region C districts.

I just cant see them dropping to 3 districts.

LPD - DC, Wise/Pound, PV/Appy, Norton, TW,

CMD - VHS, JB, Leb, GC, Lee

BDD Honaker, Grundy, TV, Hurley

Lee might make the move to the LPD but Thomas Walker is already pushing to join the LPD. The BDD could also pick up Dickenson County. If travel is a concern I could even see Gate City in a same district with their county brothers TS and RC. Too many possibilities but I dont see much change at all with what we already have. By the time this actually rolls around Richlands and Tazewell will likely be single a. Then we could see...

LPD - Wise/Pound, PV/Appy, Norton, TW, Lee

CMD - VHS, JB, Leb, GC, Richlands

BDD Honaker, Grundy, TV, Hurley, DC,

Tazewell would likely join one of the Region C districts.

There is very strong opposition against moving Tazewell or Richlands down to single A. Although Tazewell would qualify before Richlands. If they do move they would probably go to the Hogoheegee or Mountain Empire would be my guess.

I tend to think Region D vs Reg C and after next year there wont be any regions. The Tazewell co schools would fit well in either the hogo or mtn empire. I dont see DC in the BDD, the size difference between them and Hurley TV would be too great, same goes for GC in a district with RC or TS. I dont see the Tazewell or Richlands in the Mtn empire though for the same reasons, they are alot bigger than those schools.

With the district titles in Single A having no meaning I couls see Single A doing away with districts, that would make scheduling hard for some schools and would completly do away with tradition but it could happen

I tend to think Region D vs Reg C and after next year there wont be any regions. The Tazewell co schools would fit well in either the hogo or mtn empire. I dont see DC in the BDD, the size difference between them and Hurley TV would be too great, same goes for GC in a district with RC or TS. I dont see the Tazewell or Richlands in the Mtn empire though for the same reasons, they are alot bigger than those schools.

With the district titles in Single A having no meaning I couls see Single A doing away with districts, that would make scheduling hard for some schools and would completly do away with tradition but it could happen

Great points I was also thinking in terms of reagion C and region D and since that will no longer be an issue it really opens up things (VHS and Battle could goto the Hogo since that is where they wanted to be in the 1st place) I THINK that districts will remain in place if for no other reason than tournaments that are a money maker for the schools

I had forgot about TW wanting to join the LPD.....The LPD is currently a 6 team league I would not want to see it drop below 5 schools so IF consoladation kills Pound and Appy they really need to pickup at least 1 more and preferably 2 to 3 more teams Lee, TW, GC, Coeburn, St Paul or Castlewood would all be good choises

I could see VHS and JSB goin to the hogo, if that happens GC and Lee would almost have to join the LPD. Travel wise TW would be a good fit, in terms of competition not so much(no offense to TW, they would just have a hard time with the big schools

I cant agree with you there Lance. Grundy High School is for the students who live in and around Grundy, if you are pulling students from all over the county then it should be called Buchanan High ...

You're a little late to the party on that.

Back when Lance & I were in school, Grundy Hi had SEVEN feeder elem. schools... kids from Breaks, Harman, Big Rock, Slate Creek/Stacy, Vansant & Prater joined the Grundy kids. It's always served about 1/3 rd of the county.

...or name it after a prominent figure in Buchanan countys history. If it is called Grundy High there are going to be some ill feelings toward the new school and rightfully so!

That'll be another can of worms. Pound & Wise ppl. will be a bit ticked when we name it Francis Gary Powers High. The Flyers will then rip off Phiily's logo

-----

"That will be miserable from Hurley"

Not when the CFX segments are done.

"CFX? Now that sounds like fantasy to me lol"

The first VA segment of the future CFX should be open in a couple of years. It'll connect Poplar Gap to the Breaks, then they'll work on the other side of the gap, down Harman or Grundy, and that'll be the new 460.

"The "New School" would then consolidate Twin Valley High School and Grundy/Hurley"

I just don't see TV closing... it's too new.

-----

"There is very strong opposition against moving Tazewell or Richlands down to single A. Although Tazewell would qualify before Richlands."

Neither will happen. Tazewell will close & Richlands will have solid AA numbers.

Oh, forgot a couple of things...

Today's M'neer says Grundy's enrollment is up to 498, thanks to a large Fr. class of 147. Looks like we'll be Div. 2 next year.

Don't know what the latest talk is, but a year or 2 back, the "plan" for the new GHS was for it to hold 650 students. Right now, Grundy has 498 & Hurley has 241, for 729. Adding in another 289 from TV pushes the number to just over 1,000.

I knew Grundy had alot of feeder schools (im originally from Paw Paw) although I dont know which ones remained open after Riverview opened

The CFX comment was a little sarcasm, they have been planing that project for ever. I think it will be great for this area

I dont mean a historical figure that is local to one town/community like Powers, more like Thomas Walker (early explorer in SWVA) or Levisa High after the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy. IF only Hurley is closed and the entire county is not consolidated then calling the school Grundy High seems ok to me becaus ethats a closing and not a consolidation

You really think they would close Tazewell and send the kids to Richlands and not build a new school around Pounding Mill to serve both towns

You really think they would close Tazewell and send the kids to Richlands and not build a new school around Pounding Mill to serve both towns

I think when it's all said and done there will be a school in Pounding Mill and a school around Springville. If Tazewell Co is ever going to go the consolidation route, closing all three schools and building two new ones seems the most sensible thing. I think a little while back there was a plan floating around to close some of the smaller elementary schools, build a new high school in Richlands, rennovate the schools in Bluefield and Tazewell and move Richlands Elementary into the present Richlands High building. But I think they did away with that a while back..

I think when it's all said and done there will be a school in Pounding Mill and a school around Springville. If Tazewell Co is ever going to go the consolidation route, closing all three schools and building two new ones seems the most sensible thing. I think a little while back there was a plan floating around to close some of the smaller elementary schools, build a new high school in Richlands, rennovate the schools in Bluefield and Tazewell and move Richlands Elementary into the present Richlands High building. But I think they did away with that a while back..

they should quit spending money on new schools, fix up the old ones and move more lower level schools in to the existing buildings and then pay the teachers more with whats left over...or at least find a way to invest the money in to the kids somehow...whatever that may be...all these new building plans are crazy to me after seeing what they did to the old Grundy Jr. High in making it the Law School.

they should quit spending money on new schools, fix up the old ones and move more lower level schools in to the existing buildings and then pay the teachers more with whats left over...or at least find a way to invest the money in to the kids somehow...whatever that may be...all these new building plans are crazy to me after seeing what they did to the old Grundy Jr. High in making it the Law School.

Russell County's policy has always been to make small improvements to the high schools every few years and close/consolidate the smaller feeder elementary schools.

Russell County's policy has always been to make small improvements to the high schools every few years and close/consolidate the smaller feeder elementary schools.

well...makes more sense to me than building new schools that sit empty or moving half the county around.

I knew Grundy had alot of feeder schools (im originally from Paw Paw) although I dont know which ones remained open after Riverview opened

The CFX comment was a little sarcasm, they have been planing that project for ever. I think it will be great for this area

I dont mean a historical figure that is local to one town/community like Powers, more like Thomas Walker (early explorer in SWVA) or Levisa High after the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy. IF only Hurley is closed and the entire county is not consolidated then calling the school Grundy High seems ok to me becaus ethats a closing and not a consolidation

I THINK what's left is Russell Prater & JM Bevins as K-4 schools.

Don't know if they'll close or not.

Sarcasm is hard to catch sometimes, esp. if I'm trying to catch up on a bunch of threads.

It's just that a lot of ppl. don't know that the Poplar Gap to 460 segment really is a high priority for VDOT.

A "general" big wig for the county doesn't realy exist. Maybe call it James Buchanan High? Because Buchanan High just won't work... some ppl. will do like Lee and start calling it Buch. Co. High, which would suckm and others will be confused and think it's IN Buchanan, which already has a HS, James River. But James Buchanan High was home of the Sweathogs, so I'm totally against that.

I don't know what kind of shape RHS is in, but I've not heard any complaints about it, so why would a new building be needed? Split the kids up between Richlands & Graham... both are under capacity.

all these new building plans are crazy to me after seeing what they did to the old Grundy Jr. High in making it the Law School.

But the Jr. High was empty. Only so much renovating can be done over the Summer.... and what would happen to Summer school?

I heard over 10 years ago that GHS needed to be replaced because so much work would be needed to upgrade it.

Numbers are growing at Richlands and Tazewell so it doesn't make any sense to consolidate them. Not saying in the distant future it won't happen. In truth it would make more sense to consolidate Graham and Tazewell, but I don't see any of the above happening any time soon.

I knew Russell Prater was open but thats the only one I knew about.

Eventually splitting the Tazewell kids between Richlands and Graham makes sense to me, sending them all to Richlands does not. Tazewell Co seems to have the money and facilities(they are in good shape) so that consolidation wont be an issue for the near future. Russell Co also seems to be on top of things.

Im not a fan of closing the small Elem schools, I like the idea of young kids being close to home and keeping the teacher/student ratio as small as possible (1/10 is good IMO). From middle school on 1/20 is fine, any more than that makes for a poor learning environment.

Im not of the opnion to build build build but in some situations it makes the most sense to me, dickenson County for example(the schools are in bad shape, Haysi is literally falling apart and part of clintwood was built in the 20s). I do agree that the money should be invested in the way that is best for the students. I think it would be a bad idea to bus students from all over Buchanan county to poplar gap, if only Hurley was closing that seems ok

Edited by redtiger