Battle vs Abingdon...lets get it started

battleftbl

As much as JSB has improved I just feel like AHS has too many weapons for JSB to stop. Abingdon D is no longer soft furry little bunnies they use to be. Richland will hate to admit it but AHS held them fairly well. Special teams and turnovers killed AHS in that game. You can't have those mistakes against a good team like Richland. You take away a muffed punt and a fumble recovery that was housed before the half. You are looking at a possible 10-10 game at halftime. However, Richland was going to pull away at some point.

Richlands had open receivers all over the field. The only thing that kept Richlands from scoring 50 points were the penalties........took away at least one score and stopped at least a couple of other drives.

You had open receivers? Well why didn't you throw to them? You hit about 75% of your throws to one WR. I am not arguing that AHS stopped Richland. If that was the case it wouldn’t' have been a blowout. However, anyone with the slight knowledge of football could see Richland’s had trouble putting the ball in the end zone on O against "a bad AHS team." AHS committed to stopping the run (besides the large fullback… my god!) and they stopped the run. Well penalties are part of the game... just like a muffed punt and a fumble recovery to the house would have made that game closer.

Edited by vatech

You had open receivers? Well why didn't you throw to them? You hit about 75% of your throws to one WR. I am not arguing that AHS stopped Richland. If that was the case it wouldn’t' have been a blowout. However, anyone with the slight knowledge of football could see Richland’s had trouble putting the ball in the end zone on O against "a bad AHS team." AHS committed to stopping the run (besides the large fullback… my god!) and they stopped the run. Well penalties are part of the game... just like a muffed punt and a fumble recovery to the house would have made that game closer.

Take off them falcon glasses they ain't doing you no good, you've done went and gone blind.

Its something like 19 or 20 years since Battle defeated Abingdon. I'm not really sure which it is. A sad and pitiful streak that needs to end...thats for sure.

give me one way john battle will beat abingdon, what aspect of the game do u think they are better at? is their offense gunna shove it down our defenses throat like richlands? no richlands did not run the ball on us they will admit that, can battle pass, maybe they have a peyton manning at qb i havent heard, maybe their defense is all state? i just dont know where you think battle is better

Stats of this close game:

Richlands - 91 yards rushing

Abingdon - 32 yards rushing

Richlands passing --

Lockhart-- 9 of 12 for 127 yards, no interceptions

R. Strong--4 of 7 for 20 yards, no interceptions

Abingdon passing--

8 of 21 for 124 yards, two interceptions, 5 sacks

Stats of this close game:

Richlands - 91 yards rushing

Abingdon - 32 yards rushing

Richlands passing --

Lockhart-- 9 of 12 for 127 yards, no interceptions

R. Strong--4 of 7 for 20 yards, no interceptions

Abingdon passing--

8 of 21 for 124 yards, two interceptions, 5 sacks

those stats are not that far apart really, both offenses sucked it up to be honest, richlands probably wouldve won either way but it came down to their special teams play

those stats are not that far apart really, both offenses sucked it up to be honest, richlands probably wouldve won either way but it came down to their special teams play

Ill agree to that. After watching Abingdon at Taz, I can now tell that both teams had an off night. I think both were too fired up. Abindgon was out to slay the mighty Richlands, Richlands was gunning to shut everyone up.

give me one way john battle will beat abingdon, what aspect of the game do u think they are better at? is their offense gunna shove it down our defenses throat like richlands? no richlands did not run the ball on us they will admit that, can battle pass, maybe they have a peyton manning at qb i havent heard, maybe their defense is all state? i just dont know where you think battle is better

We have two very good sophmore WR's that will be running open all night....I find it hard to believe that Abingdon will light up the score board on our Defense either. It took Virginia High almost a half to get going, and their overall speed played a big part in that. Abingdon doesnt have VA high type speed. In our other 3 games, we have 2 shutouts and a 7 point game. thats an average of 2.33 points per game during those 3 games. If you include the VHS game, we're giving up 9.8 points per game. See you Friday.

Sounds like you have a good Defense. AHS has had trouble defending the pass. Their run defense is good. AHS has a few burners. However, VHS has some great athletes just not the best football IQ. The new student 46 and Caleb Widner are the team’s fastest players. 46 can fly and can make people miss. I would guess the coaches will use him more since it's his second game of the year.

We have two very good sophmore WR's that will be running open all night....I find it hard to believe that Abingdon will light up the score board on our Defense either. It took Virginia High almost a half to get going, and their overall speed played a big part in that. Abingdon doesnt have VA high type speed. In our other 3 games, we have 2 shutouts and a 7 point game. thats an average of 2.33 points per game during those 3 games. If you include the VHS game, we're giving up 9.8 points per game. See you Friday.

abingdon shutout ph too big whoop de doo, unlike battle we have played someone besides twin springs, twin sisters and twin mother, i really dont even think battles d is as good as tazewells now that ive seen their film, what was the score of the ph game at halftime?

Edited by falconawesome

abingdon has 2 shutouts as well, unlike battle we have played someone besides twin springs, twin sisters and twin mother, i really dont even think battles d is as good as tazewells now that ive seen their film, what was the score of the ph game at halftime?

one shutout my bad, tazewell got one on us quick

so you shut down a va high team for a half that got embarassed by a honaker team that shot themselves in the foot against battle? you have two good sophmore receivers? thats it?

It was 7-0 at the half, we tacked on 21 after halftime. Battle was looking WAY ahead to Abingdon this week. From our entrance, we looked like we were at a funeral, and not a ball game. It took a brawl to finally wake us up and to play with some excitment and energy. When we got into the locker room after the Honaker game...Our sights immediatly focused on Abingdon and I think we learned a lesson from it. Never overlook anyone.

btw...Why compare scores... I thought that we'd established the fact that doing so is useless in football

It was 7-0 at the half, we tacked on 21 after halftime. Battle was looking WAY ahead to Abingdon this week. From our entrance, we looked like we were at a funeral, and not a ball game. It took a brawl to finally wake us up and to play with some excitment and energy. When we got into the locker room after the Honaker game...Our sights immediatly focused on Abingdon and I think we learned a lesson from it. Never overlook anyone.

btw...Why compare scores... I thought that we'd established the fact that doing so is useless in football

true anyone can win any friday night, i just hope its a good game, the series deserves a good game

so you shut down a va high team for a half that got embarassed by a honaker team that shot themselves in the foot against battle? you have two good sophmore receivers? thats it?

We have a good defense. The weakest person on our Defensive line is a sophmore benching 280lbs. The other 3 starters all bench over 300 with one of them #53 benching 370lbs. I know strength isnt everything, but it helps. Our secondary is really good. Those 2 sophmore recievers are also 2 of only 3 players that start on both sides of the ball. The one area on defense that we need more production out of is the linebackers. They make their fare share of tackles, but need to be much more physical if our defense is going to hold up against quality opponents.

On offense, our QB is accurate especially throwing the deep ball. Our WR's are good, and going to be really special players by the time they're seniors. Losing our starting HB has really hurt the running game, but we've started to find success by using a combination of kids over the past 2 weeks. Due to an injury we're now starting 3 sophmores, a freshman, and 1 senior on the OLine. They're doing a good job, but its alot to expect out of freshman and sophmores. Honaker does have a good line though, and they held their own against them.

As I've said before, If you do get by us this year, it'll be the last time for awhile. We're starting a total of 12 sophmores and 1 freshman. The fact that we're 4-1 with such a young team, shows just how talented that sophmore class is. That class went undefeated in JV last year and 8th grade the year before....They put up over 50 points last year vs Abingdon and 46 vs VA High. Noone came close to them during their 8th or 9th grade seasons. Now they're leading a varsity team with a 4-1 record as sophmores. We're young...but you'll see Friday night that we're also very talented.

Im looking forward to a hard fought game, that will come down to the 4th quarter this Friday. If Abingdon is expecting a blowout, they're in for a rude awakening.

I hope that this is a good game and that battle lives up to what battleftbl is saying. Battle has improved a lot this year i dont think anyone expected them to start out 4-1. And yea maybe abingdon has played some teams that are better than Twin Springs and maybe Honaker did shoot themselves in the foot but a win is a win. And even though PH and Twin springs arent to good those are to easy wins to boost Battle confidence going into this Abingdon game. And having confidence in your team plays a big role in football i think. But i dont really know who to pick in this one but im hoping Battle gets the upset.

Good luck to both teams friday night

We have a good defense. The weakest person on our Defensive line is a sophmore benching 280lbs. The other 3 starters all bench over 300 with one of them #53 benching 370lbs. I know strength isnt everything, but it helps. Our secondary is really good. Those 2 sophmore recievers are also 2 of only 3 players that start on both sides of the ball. The one area on defense that we need more production out of is the linebackers. They make their fare share of tackles, but need to be much more physical if our defense is going to hold up against quality opponents.

On offense, our QB is accurate especially throwing the deep ball. Our WR's are good, and going to be really special players by the time they're seniors. Losing our starting HB has really hurt the running game, but we've started to find success by using a combination of kids over the past 2 weeks. Due to an injury we're now starting 3 sophmores, a freshman, and 1 senior on the OLine. They're doing a good job, but its alot to expect out of freshman and sophmores. Honaker does have a good line though, and they held their own against them.

As I've said before, If you do get by us this year, it'll be the last time for awhile. We're starting a total of 12 sophmores and 1 freshman. The fact that we're 4-1 with such a young team, shows just how talented that sophmore class is. That class went undefeated in JV last year and 8th grade the year before....They put up over 50 points last year vs Abingdon and 46 vs VA High. Noone came close to them during their 8th or 9th grade seasons. Now they're leading a varsity team with a 4-1 record as sophmores. We're young...but you'll see Friday night that we're also very talented.

Im looking forward to a hard fought game, that will come down to the 4th quarter this Friday. If Abingdon is expecting a blowout, they're in for a rude awakening.

so youre tellin me number 44 on the d line benches over 300?

so youre tellin me number 44 on the d line benches over 300?

Yes, #44 Ryan Hall.....he maxed out at 305. The kid is a Junior, he only weighs about 195lbs. He's only missed about 2-3 days of weightlifting in 2 years, and takes strength and conditioning during school also. #53 Luke Green maxed out at 370lbs, #90 Cody Mullins maxed out at 345lbs. I did tell you wrong though....#82 Andrew Morefield is a sophmore who played baseball in the summer. He benches 285lbs. He's the only starter not benching 300lbs. The top reserve on the D-Line is #99 Darby Amos...He's a SR , benching 275lbs. Just think boys... 3 or 4 years ago, Battle didnt have a single player benching over 300lbs. To the best of my knowledge, they only had 3 players benching over 250lbs. Heck, 4 years ago, Battle really didnt even have a weight program , and had no strength and conditioning classes during school. Thats been the problem here for a long, long time. Pitiful coaching.

We're very young and inexperienced. At times we can be our own worst enemy, but when we take care of the ball, and dont commit stupid penalties, we're a good football team.

a successful program starts in the weightroom and conditioning program. If you can't do that... there is a section that is personally set up for you in the stands... called the band.

100% agreed. As I've said before, I'm not from Bristol. I came from a program that had a well established offseason program and I couldnt believe it when I got here. It didnt take me long to see why the Battle program has had little to no success in the past.

Yes, #44 Ryan Hall.....he maxed out at 305. The kid is a Junior, he only weighs about 195lbs. He's only missed about 2-3 days of weightlifting in 2 years, and takes strength and conditioning during school also. #53 Luke Green maxed out at 370lbs, #90 Cody Mullins maxed out at 345lbs. I did tell you wrong though....#82 Andrew Morefield is a sophmore who played baseball in the summer. He benches 285lbs. He's the only starter not benching 300lbs. The top reserve on the D-Line is #99 Darby Amos...He's a SR , benching 275lbs. Just think boys... 3 or 4 years ago, Battle didnt have a single player benching over 300lbs. To the best of my knowledge, they only had 3 players benching over 250lbs. Heck, 4 years ago, Battle really didnt even have a weight program , and had no strength and conditioning classes during school. Thats been the problem here for a long, long time. Pitiful coaching.

We're very young and inexperienced. At times we can be our own worst enemy, but when we take care of the ball, and dont commit stupid penalties, we're a good football team.

You must not be from here. It has only been a couple of years that the schools have had advanced PE. I am sure that some of the other coaches, like Jimmy King, had their players lift. I guess he was a pititful coach. Shoot he just won the district and got his team to the Region C championship game.

You must not be from here. It has only been a couple of years that the schools have had advanced PE. I am sure that some of the other coaches, like Jimmy King, had their players lift. I guess he was a pititful coach. Shoot he just won the district and got his team to the Region C championship game.

They had a decent team that year...but they played in a watered down Hogo that season also. They played a weak team in the first rd of the playoffs, and got HAMMERED in the 2nd rd by Giles. Did you know that Jimmy King had no clue how to stop Giles? Nick Colobro came up and put together a game plan for him in the playoffs that season. It didnt work, but only because Battle was totally manhandled on the LOS....because of the lack of a solid weightlifting program. It's sad that washington Co. has just started strength and conditioning in the past few years.....I took strength and conditioning back in the mid 90's in high school. BTW, just because a few players lift...doesnt mean you have a weight lifting PROGRAM. Trust me, Battle has NEVER had one of those before. but we do now.

If Battle plays up to their potential, and plays turnover free.....The streak will end. If not, it could be a long night. I would almost rather win this game and finish 5-5, as to lose this game and finish 8-2 or 7-3. Thats how much this game will mean to our kids also. They've had Abingdon in their sights for a few weeks now. for the first time in a very long time...the kids actually believe they can win this game....that'll go a long way in itself.

Whats everyones thoughts on the game.

HAHA good luck!