Gate City at Bluefield,WV

LegendatLegion

Greenville was winning 35-7 going into the fourth quarter then played the young'ns. Greenville also had several turnovers. Greenville could beat anyone in NE TN I agree.

South will not beat Johnson City and Tenn. High on the road. They will finish 4-6 with wins over Boone (which was a gift), Central, Volunteer, and Crockett. They aren't very good.... Not the same team as Gate City played last year..... Hayden is a player but other than him they just don't have alot. Carter knew when to leave.....

I know South is not the same team as last year but they are still pretty good. How do you like your crow served? I will fry you up a mess if they go 6-4.:D:D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know South is not the same team as last year but they are still pretty good. How do you like your crow served? I will fry you up a mess if they go 6-4.:D:D

I like it well done. :D

I don't know if South can go 4-6. If Crockett gets that big running back going they may be in trouble in that one. The most important thing is they are going to lose their 18th straight to the indians tonight.... But 4-6.... 3-7 sounds about right.....

All I can say is you better be able to stop the run..... If you can then you may be right. But you didn't come close last year and this Gate City team is better than that one.

This Bluefield team is better than last years as a whole. It was 7 - 6 last year at half time and the 2nd half you had us. I guess we'll see in about 9 hours who gets to brag and who doesn't. Good luck to you and safe travels.

Bluefield wins this game only one way, David Edwards at quarterback.

Without him Bluefield is one dimensional.

We do run the ball but I can assure you Levi can pass and 6' 6" Joe Woodrum can catch no matter who passes it. DJ is good but has a lot to learn and needs experience. This kid will be great as a senior!

All I can say is you better be able to stop the run.....

Opponents rushing yardage vs. Bluefield

Graham - 26 carries, 46 yards

Princeton - 24 carries, 64 yards

Greenbrier East - 39 carries, 81 yards

CCD - 27 carries, 67 yards

Oak Hill - 40 carries, 13 yards

Total - 156 carries, 271 yards 1.74 yards/carry

With all due respect......Those teams arent the type of rushing offense that Gate City is. Gate city will run for Atleast 200 yards tonight....mark it down.

With all due respect......Those teams arent the type of rushing offense that Gate City is. Gate city will run for Atleast 200 yards tonight....mark it down.

I guess we'll see...I could be wrong...been wrong before...

And with all due respect....... The teams you have played are not the same as playing Bluefield!! Other than Richlands of course! Guess we'll see soon. If we lose, I'll be back on here saying you have the better team. Gate City beating us last year worked in our favor, we fought back to win 9 straight and the State Championship!! I guess we'll see what happens this year! Good luck -- travel safe!

And with all due respect....... The teams you have played are not the same as playing Bluefield!! Other than Richlands of course! Guess we'll see soon. If we lose, I'll be back on here saying you have the better team. Gate City beating us last year worked in our favor, we fought back to win 9 straight and the State Championship!! I guess we'll see what happens this year! Good luck -- travel safe!

I'm not from Gate City......Just all to familar with them.....and have alot of respect for that program. I have no doubt that it'll be a great game tonight.

I'm not from Gate City......Just all to familar with them.....

I'm not from Bluefield, WV either but I am familiar with both programs...Bluefield wins this one...

Just a question for VOL 61 thought he might know. Serious question, how much of a raise did Carter get from going to South to Science Hill??? I've heard 5-10 K any truth to that?

I honestly do not know. But I would say it was more than 10K.

I know for a fact that Watson ,who is the defensive coordinator at DB, When he left the head coaching job at Volunteer to go to DB he made about 10K more per year by doing that. That was over 20 years ago. So I would say Johnson City Head job and DB head job are similar pay wise. They spent some Money to get him. But it wasn't just him. They got both of the Nelson brothers Ralph and Scott. Ralph was the head coach at East, which is where Colobro from Gate City went, and Scott was the head coach at Central. They all are making more money now. I would guarantee that...

I can tell you this much....Coach Clark is making around $125,000 per year at DB for teaching/coaching. Watson is making between 75,000-80,000 per year.

These City schools pay big money for coaching. They have no budgets.

I'd heard that Carters salary went up by about $20-25,000 per year by taking the Science Hill job. In order of highest paying- Kingsport City, Johnson City, Bristol City and Elizabethon all three have unlimited budgets and big time boosters.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
We do run the ball but I can assure you Levi can pass and 6' 6" Joe Woodrum can catch no matter who passes it. DJ is good but has a lot to learn and needs experience. This kid will be great as a senior!

Levi was benched for one reason. He can not throw the ball. The kid gives effort and plays his heart out, but he can not pass.

Edwards can and will. We have to be able to spread the field vertically.

That is impressive...

I don't think many people who follow Gate City is expecting anything less than a dogfight. If Gate City can win this one , and I think they can, most will feel fortunate to get out of there with a win. Everyone knows what Bluefield has done. There is no disrespect at all. GC is just confident right now and they should be they are playing very good ball....

That is impressive...

I don't think many people who follow Gate City is expecting anything less than a dogfight. If Gate City can win this one , and I think they can, most will feel fortunate to get out of there with a win. Everyone knows what Bluefield has done. There is no disrespect at all. GC is just confident right now and they should be they are playing very good ball....

Funny part is, Bluefield really hasn't played all that good (too many penalties/mental mistakes)...yet...and they've still put up these numbers. Bluefield's front eight on D is the strong point of this team...

Funny part is, Bluefield really hasn't played all that good (too many penalties/mental mistakes)...yet...and they've still put up these numbers. Bluefield's front eight on D is the strong point of this team...

I think this game will tell alot about both teams. Two great programs and both expect to win. Hope it lives up to the hype....

It time for Bluefield to step-up and play like the defending state champs. They've been very lackadaisical since the Graham game, especially offensively. It's time to play Bluefield football, which means playing focused, poised, smart, and with pride. If they play like they did against Princeton and Greenbrier East they need not get off the bus tonight. Are the seniors fat and happy with two state titles or do they want to make history by winning back-to-back titles and three in four years?

Congratulations Bluefield you took it to us tonight and best of luck the rest of the season. Gate City has got to find a way to move the ball against good teams. Our line has got to get better or it will be basketball season again real early in Gate city!!!!

Gate City

27 carries, 78 yards

-a 34-yard run on Gate's next to last possession padded this number

6-17 passing, 44 yards, 1 INT

122 yards of total offense

great job bluefield, no excuses. you whooped our @$$. good luck to you all.

I didn't think Bluefield whooped your @sses...Those were the toughest twenty-one points Bluefield has earned in a long time. Good luck with the rest of the season.

My second time seeing both teams, and I came away really impressed by the Beaver D. The Brooks kid lived in the Gate City backfield all night. The only things that slowed him were double teams and that just freed up his line mates and Fox to make plays.

I also think the blocked punt was in the punters head all night. The two short punts were a factor.

Levi was benched for one reason. He can not throw the ball. The kid gives effort and plays his heart out, but he can not pass.

Edwards can and will. We have to be able to spread the field vertically.

Guess you were wrong. Maybe next week. We won and he never played QB. He is good but he must wait his turn. He will be great in time. That said, Levi passed well and our one dimensional team really did well. ALL THREE BACKS AND LEVI. DJ also played a good game.