New AP Poll

Nadoball

I guess I jumped on you for assuming that you thought Richlands should be #1. No, I haven't even seen a HS football game all season, but SWVA football as a whole (with the exception of Richlands, Christiansburg, and Eastern Montgomery) is downI have a feeling that SWVA will not be represented with a state championship AT ALL this season.

I guess I jumped on you for assuming that you thought Richlands should be #1. No, I haven't even seen a HS football game all season, but SWVA football as a whole (with the exception of Richlands, Christiansburg, and Eastern Montgomery) is downI have a feeling that SWVA will not be represented with a state championship AT ALL this season.

YOU FORGOT GATE CITY,J.I.BURTON and CLINTWOOD ALL ARE STRONG.

have they even seen these teams play?just curious.go big blue!!!

let them keep you guys down in the polls then you can let the playoffs show them who really is #1 in the final poll the only one that really matters. That may help motivate the tornado to think the rest of the state has no respect for this years team.good luck

As per the Roanoke Times.

1. Christiansburg

2. Powhatan

3. Harrisonburg

4. Richlands

5. Broad Run

6. Louisa

7. Northside

8. Brookville

9. Liberty (Bedford)

10. Amherst

I'm telling ya, the playoffs in both "AA" divisions is going to be sick this year with the likes of C'burg, Brookville, Liberty, Amherst, Northside not to mention the heavy hitters from other parts of the state such as H'burg and Broad Run. I'm really disappointed the state finals aren't being played at Lane Stadium again this year, but a trip to L'burg might be a "can't miss" come December. Think of a potential Brookville/Liberty/Northside winner v. the Region 1/2 winner in D3? Better yet, a potential C'burg/H'burg winner v. Powhatan/Broad Run/Louisa winner in D4?

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

There is no doubt they are good teams, but compared to the other side of the state they are average. Last year, in Single A, the best we had to offer lost by a COMBINED 50 points last season in Salem.

Who leads the Group A AP Poll?

Who leads the Group A AP Poll?

The Top 10 Virginia Football teams in the Virginia Group AAA, AA, A prep poll as selected by sports writers and broadcasters from around the state, with first-place votes in parentheses and total points received based on a 10-through-1 voting system:

Group A

Record Pts Prv

1. Gretna (8) 6-1 98 1

2. Clintwood (1) 8-0 83 2

3. Buckingham County (1) 8-0 70 5

3. Clarke County 8-0 70 3

5. J.I. Burton 8-0 58 6

6. Eastern Montgomery 8-0 52 7

7. King William 6-1 33 8

8. Altavista 7-1 25 9

9. Riverheads 6-1 22 10

10. Lancaster 7-0 13 NR

Others receiving votes: 11, Gate City 12. 12, Franklin 10. 13, Madison County 4.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I'm telling ya, the playoffs in both "AA" divisions is going to be sick this year with the likes of C'burg, Brookville, Liberty, Amherst, Northside not to mention the heavy hitters from other parts of the state such as H'burg and Broad Run. I'm really disappointed the state finals aren't being played at Lane Stadium again this year, but a trip to L'burg might be a "can't miss" come December. Think of a potential Brookville/Liberty/Northside winner v. the Region 1/2 winner in D3? Better yet, a potential C'burg/H'burg winner v. Powhatan/Broad Run/Louisa winner in D4?

Looks like our neighbor isn't giving the Blues a shot either.

According to that Poll, Clintwood stands out to me to be a clear D1 favorite. I think other than Clintwood.... JIB, EM, Altavista, and Riverheads are the other D1 schools on that..all very beatable in my opinion. D2 is a different story, Gretna will be hard to beat in the post season. Good luck with that, Gate City.

Don't rule Amherst out in Division 4. Which just goes to further the point. You're 100% correct about the quality of matchups that will take place in the Group AA state playoffs this year.

Polls don't mean a thing in high school. That goodness they can't make or brake you're season as in college. Richlands, Clintwood and Gate City don't need to worry about the polls, the games are played on the field. I think that all three of these teams will do some damage in the playoffs and at least one state title is well within reach this year. Maybe more. Go SWVA teams, whoever makes the playoffs I will be there to watch unless we have teams at Salem and Lynchburg, and of course I will be watching the storm at Liberty.

I think GC has a solid chance, they are a good team who plays keep away with the ball. For them its all about execution not playmaking if they can grind it out they could win a state title but they cant turn the ball over.

Clintwood is big and fast! They have 2 solid RBs and a couple of tough FBs to carry the ball, athletic wideouts and believe it or not their backup QB is probably a better passer(not athlete) than their starter so I think they stand a very good shot of winning state.

Everyone on this board knows what Richlands has so I wont go into that,

I dont believe any of these teams are the clear favorite but all are in the thick of things, none really could be considered underdogs except maybe GC and I dont think anyone ever counts them out.

Don't rule Amherst out in Division 4. Which just goes to further the point. You're 100% correct about the quality of matchups that will take place in the Group AA state playoffs this year.

No doubt Amherst has a shot. They aren't one of the best this year, however, but still very good. As you pointed out, that further backs the point of how deep "AA" is this year especially in the New River and Roanoke Valleys along with other parts of Virginia.