Grundy Golden Wave

Rhschamps04

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lance does Grundy always try to slow the game down or was that just the game plan for last night. If it was the game plan do you think it helped or hurt them.

thats just what you get when you have no passing game and play a team like Richlands....pretty much the same thing that happened against CC, only I think we moved the ball a little better against you guys than we did CC...and our defense played a lot better in the 2nd half....since you guys were up by 35 at the half, the clock ran in the 2nd half.

When we had Kelly in there at QB the offense was a lot more open and they threw the ball as much as they ran it, if not more. One thing that really hurts us having Ben Rife at QB is that he was probably our best WR...he will catch anything that's near him and can jump up and go after a ball....when you have a kid that can do that and another than can sling the ball 60 yards you open up the run and a lot of other things as well....we were just a different team with Kelly at QB any way you look at it. Ben does a fine job, but he is limited by the play calling in what they are comfortable with...not just him throwing the ball, but with the others running routes to catch it...we had a sure TD in that CC game blown because our WR's were in the same area on a pass on a bad route....it's just been a struggle....Berglowe has had to pick up the slack and he has been excellent....but you can only expect so much froma 150 pound JR when he is the main focus of other teams D on every play. The coaches have tried to mix things up the best they can and have done a good job of trying to open things up for him, but until they can open the pass up again we are hog tied.

The D has done a good job so far of helping to keep us in good situations and have been able to make some key turnovers happen when we needed them...they are just doing the best they can with what they have left...the kids are hitting hard and playing with a lot of heart right now...that's all you can ask.

Grundy did look to be playing safe and I was just woundering. I did notice #11 Justice for Grundy is one heck of a def. player. The 3 plays down on the goal line in the 2nd quater I thougth him and Cody Thomas were going to knock each other out. I was on the other end of the field and could hear the pads poping from them two,

I noticed that as well...there were a few good hits between those two...they were both taking them and dishing them out the whole 2nd half...one of the hardest hitting games i've seen in a while...one of the last plays we ran was a pass to Cody deep on the Grundy side and he took a huge hit on that one and got up and shook it off like nothing happened...i remember thinking i dont know if i could have got up from that one lol...tuff kid.

A 1500 yard rusher and a Fr. QB starting his 3rd game, and someone's wondering if we were slowing down the game? Well, guess that's what msg boards are for.

Do you have to be a jerk with every post you make or did you just do it for this one?

A 1500 yard rusher and a Fr. QB starting his 3rd game, and someone's wondering if we were slowing down the game? Well, guess that's what msg boards are for.

Yes Mr. Helper that's what Msg boards are for. I had not seen Grundy play till Fri. night and was just asking was that their usually tempo for the game or was it just there game plan for this week. Some times if you game plan for a slower tempo it can hurt you more than help and was just asking if they had .

Edited by Blues Man

I think you guys mis-took his point. He was saying this: Grundy has a stud tailback and a freshman quarterback. That is an obvious indicator that they had to run the football.

However, the QB did not look that bad. Rowe made one good call, the fake punt. He should have worked on executing that play a little more. I noticed that the Grundy offense ran the 25 second clock down to nothing on every play. That was a good gameplan. Run the ball, keep the Richlands offense off the field and play defense. However, Richlands kept their own offense off the field. At one point in the game, Richlands had ran 8 offensive plays and scored 4 touchdowns. I wish Grundy the best, there are some great people in that town. However, Rowe isn't one of them. Grundy would be better off without him. His post-game comments could be perceived to some (and were perceived by some) as disrespectful to the Richlands program. He needs to take a page out of Mance's post-game comments book.

Just my two cents. Good Luck Wave, beat Tunstall.

I am not surprised by this at all. Certain people from Grundy have always been like this. Before anyone says anything back to me, I know this does not apply to every person in Grundy. Early this season when Grundy traveled to Hurley they defeated us very easily. Then I live just a mile or so above the high school. As the traffic was leaving the game. I had some fans go by as me and my family was going into our home scream out f*** you you S.O.B. Now tell me what is the point in that kind of behavior at anytime. You had just defeated us now you feel the need to screamed obscenities at people as they are going into their homes. I have a lot of friends from Grundy, and I know this does not apply to everyone but a lot of the diehard Grundy football fans are like this.

I am not surprised by this at all. Certain people from Grundy have always been like this. Before anyone says anything back to me, I know this does not apply to every person in Grundy. Early this season when Grundy traveled to Hurley they defeated us very easily. Then I live just a mile or so above the high school. As the traffic was leaving the game. I had some fans go by as me and my family was going into our home scream out f*** you you S.O.B. Now tell me what is the point in that kind of behavior at anytime. You had just defeated us now you feel the need to screamed obscenities at people as they are going into their homes. I have a lot of friends from Grundy, and I know this does not apply to everyone but a lot of the diehard Grundy football fans are like this.

kinda like the Richlands guy that was shouting for Mance to "don't let up" and all that stuff...or the Tazewell guys in the stands screaming "Assholes" at our kids as we were trying to get to the locker room...or the guys at CC that scream stuff at you as you walk out of the locker rooms towards the field....or the kids at Va High that run behind the visitors side yelling "Grundy Sucks"....or the people in Hurley that scream "F* Grundy" ....or....the list goes on...it happens everywhere you go...seems to be getting worse as time goes by....or at least it seems like it to me anyway.

All I can tell you, and everyone else is "don't be that guy"...and if you are friends with or know "that guy"...tell him to shut his mouth he's making the rest of us look bad.

People overall just don't seem to have much sense anymore for whatever reason...and they sure don't know how to act....it's sad.

Actually the lights were good not great but good no complaints other than the chain gang not sure why the falcons wanted to bring up the lighting problem as i seen nothing wrong.

I think we must have different opinions when it comes to "good" lighting lol. They were exactly half as bright as Ernie Hicks Stadium which itself is exactly half as bright as what I would consider decent. Bowen Field is decent. Everywhere else I've been to in SWVA falls somewhere below that. Grundy, I hate to say, is the worst I've ever been to.

I think we must have different opinions when it comes to "good" lighting lol. They were exactly half as bright as Ernie Hicks Stadium which itself is exactly half as bright as what I would consider decent. Bowen Field is decent. Everywhere else I've been to in SWVA falls somewhere below that. Grundy, I hate to say, is the worst I've ever been to.

most people dont realize how hard it is to get any good pics there once it starts getting dark by game time...should have my new lens for next year...that will help. Good seeing you again Friday, hope you have safe travels for the rest of the year.

most people dont realize how hard it is to get any good pics there once it starts getting dark by game time...should have my new lens for next year...that will help. Good seeing you again Friday, hope you have safe travels for the rest of the year.

That's because our eyes adjust to the lighting but we can only adjust our cameras to a certain point. An f/2.8 lens would help you out a lot. And if you can't swing that just get a 135mm f/2.0 for less than $1k. It's not a zoom, and you won't have as much reach as a longer lens, but if you wait for the action to come to you you can get some good stuff at any stadium. I've considered switching back to Canon just for that lens. I would also like to have a 200mm f/2.0 for football, which Nikon and Canon both make, but it's $5k.

kinda like the Richlands guy that was shouting for Mance to "don't let up" and all that stuff...or the Tazewell guys in the stands screaming "Assholes" at our kids as we were trying to get to the locker room...or the guys at CC that scream stuff at you as you walk out of the locker rooms towards the field....or the kids at Va High that run behind the visitors side yelling "Grundy Sucks"....or the people in Hurley that scream "F* Grundy" ....or....the list goes on...it happens everywhere you go...seems to be getting worse as time goes by....or at least it seems like it to me anyway.

All I can tell you, and everyone else is "don't be that guy"...and if you are friends with or know "that guy"...tell him to shut his mouth he's making the rest of us look bad.

People overall just don't seem to have much sense anymore for whatever reason...and they sure don't know how to act....it's sad.

Well said!

As for Rowes post game comments. He showed little or no class!!!!! I know you said you hope Grundy gets another shot at the Blues. You better hope not. The players read and hear these post game comments and some of our posts. It would not be a pretty game. The Blues played O.K. Friday but to play an inspired RHS team on a good field. It could be dangerous to your health! Rowe should have thought about the playoffs and that the road to State goes through Richlands. I wish the wave the best but I know that if the two meet again. Rowes comments will be hanging in the Blues locker room.

Do you have to be a jerk with every post you make or did you just do it for this one?

What? I was surprised. Ppl. in both towns have been talking about this game for months... possible battle of the unbeatens. Then the QB goes down. Talked about it here ... http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19534 .

Because of that, we lose to Carroll. And the SWD stats here have had Bergie up top basically all season. Really surprised me that there was a fan who didn't know this, because most fans who go to games know what the other team has before they walk through the gate.

Well said!

As for Rowes post game comments. He showed little or no class!!!!! I know you said you hope Grundy gets another shot at the Blues. You better hope not. The players read and hear these post game comments and some of our posts. It would not be a pretty game. The Blues played O.K. Friday but to play an inspired RHS team on a good field. It could be dangerous to your health! Rowe should have thought about the playoffs and that the road to State goes through Richlands. I wish the wave the best but I know that if the two meet again. Rowes comments will be hanging in the Blues locker room.

What do you think they will be scared? lol...these kids laid the lumber to you guys all night, especially in the 2nd half...they might not have the tools they need to beat you, but they will hit you for 4 qtrs...Richlands doesn't intimidate the Grundy kids one bit as far as that goes, bring it on and drop 70 points if you can...but worry about your own health, ours will be just fine.

And while we are talking about no class...whoever was yelling at Berglowe about "where's your TD's and your 300 yards tonight?"...takes a big man to yell that at a 150 pound kid who probably put up more yards than most if not all of the other backs did against the mighty Blues....he hit 80 yards, how many did others put up against your 1st team this year?

and as far as Rowe...he spoke the truth...and I guess the truth always hurts a few peoples ass along the way...might not have come across the best way, but he didn't make anything up or put anyone down...so if that is all you have to get fired up over, then hang it up on your locker room wall.

I just hope we win 2 and you win 2 and we can play again...you guys don't scare anyone from Grundy....we respect what you guys do and the level your kids play at...but that's where it ends.

What? I was surprised. Ppl. in both towns have been talking about this game for months... possible battle of the unbeatens. Then the QB goes down. Talked about it here ... http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19534 .

Because of that, we lose to Carroll. And the SWD stats here have had Bergie up top basically all season. Really surprised me that there was a fan who didn't know this, because most fans who go to games know what the other team has before they walk through the gate.

Helper if you are talking about me I knew that Grundy had a great Running back and a good Def. and team. I was just asking about the tempo in which they ran their off. Friday night. And yes I knew about the Running Backs stats but since you dont wont to answer the ? I will just move on.

Helper if you are talking about me I knew that Grundy had a great Running back and a good Def. and team. I was just asking about the tempo in which they ran their off. Friday night. And yes I knew about the Running Backs stats but since you dont wont to answer the ? I will just move on.

i answered it i thought...but, yes ...since Kelly went out at QB that is our normal pace...its much slower than before the Graham game.

What do you think they will be scared? lol...these kids laid the lumber to you guys all night, especially in the 2nd half...they might not have the tools they need to beat you, but they will hit you for 4 qtrs...Richlands doesn't intimidate the Grundy kids one bit as far as that goes, bring it on and drop 70 points if you can...but worry about your own health, ours will be just fine.

And while we are talking about no class...whoever was yelling at Berglowe about "where's your TD's and your 300 yards tonight?"...takes a big man to yell that at a 150 pound kid who probably put up more yards than most if not all of the other backs did against the mighty Blues....he hit 80 yards, how many did others put up against your 1st team this year?

and as far as Rowe...he spoke the truth...and I guess the truth always hurts a few peoples ass along the way...might not have come across the best way, but he didn't make anything up or put anyone down...so if that is all you have to get fired up over, then hang it up on your locker room wall.

I just hope we win 2 and you win 2 and we can play again...you guys don't scare anyone from Grundy....we respect what you guys do and the level your kids play at...but that's where it ends.

I don't know what you call laying lumber. You got spanked! You sound a lot like a falcon fan. Laid lumber, Stuck with the Blues for 4 quarters, took your best. Thats really something to hang your hat on. As for the fans yelling at kids. I agreed with you. Thats why I said "well said!" I'm talking about coaches not fans. Rowe's comments had no class!! He was looking for a excuse for the loss other than Grundy sucks! For the record we only have to win 1 game to meet you again. Gundy would have to win 2. Which is not likely. But I hope you do.

i answered it i thought...but, yes ...since Kelly went out at QB that is our normal pace...its much slower than before the Graham game.

I Thank you Lance I know you answered it I was just going on about VHSLHelper and his ramblings.

I don't know what you call laying lumber. You got spanked! You sound a lot like a falcon fan. Laid lumber, Stuck with the Blues for 4 quarters, took your best. Thats really something to hang your hat on. As for the fans yelling at kids. I agreed with you. Thats why I said "well said!" I'm talking about coaches not fans. Rowe's comments had no class!! He was looking for a excuse for the loss other than Grundy sucks! For the record we only have to win 1 game to meet you again. Gundy would have to win 2. Which is not likely. But I hope you do.

yeah you have the bye, forgot that...hope you beat Martinsville or whoever you get then lol.

as for the rest, spanked? you guys spanked the scoreboard...but other than that the hits kept coming all night...i told you, lay 70 next time if you want, but you're going to get smacked in the teeth for 4 qtrs while you do it.

send us the transfers and lets see how it goes with the rest of our team....probably be a lot closer with just Lockhart at QB and Johnson in the backfield....much less the defensive improvements we could make with the xfrs.

so go on and thump your chest about how bad you guys are...lol....you have a good team, with the xfrs you have a great team. Not sure what gets you all upset about saying that, but its the truth.

I told someone the other day if i had a kid that could play at Richlands, that's where he would be if i lived around here...be crazy not to want your kid to have a shot at state...but, let's not pretend that it is something that it's not...without the xfr's you would still have a good team...but with them you are much much better...there is a difference and it's a huge difference....that Lockhart kid is great, would love to have him at Grundy...and Johnson is a horse, big kid that runs hard like that...who wouldn't want him in the backfield....not even mentioning the others...just those two alone make you a much better team...sure you have kids that can step in and play the positions, but those two alone are a huge advantage....I don't think you would have a legit shot at state without the xfrs...with them you do.

i like hard hitting football...i like it when you can hear it in the stands...that's what we had in the game the other night, and I'd like to see it again before we drop and don't see them play again...if we get beat, we get beat...i'd just like to see the two play again....Grundy needs to play more teams like that, makes you better in the long run....and it's just fun to watch...even down 42 - 0 the other night it was still fun to watch as time ran out....nothing better to me than a good hitting game and thats what it was....but, that's just me.

PS: if Grundy "sucks" and that's the best you can do against a team with no threat to pass the ball, then you better not book your hotels at state just yet.

I think it sounds like Rowe was saying Richlands has recruited players, I dont think thats how he meant it. But he is right, the Blues would be a great team w/o the xfrs but with them they are a much better team. Its just the truth. I dont think he was making excuses, if anything he was making a statement to how good Richlands is.

I disagree with sending your kids to play at Richlands so they can have a shot at state. Its not about winning state, its about competing and representing your home town/community.

In defense of Coach Rowe, I will state the following FACT regarding outside players at Richlands.

Three or four seasons ago, Twin Valley played Big Creek at TV, following the game, several members of the Richlands football staff were waiting on the track to "meet and greet" with three young men from Big Creek. Sure they transferred to Richlands, but Proselyting was taking place, no doubt about it!

What Rowe said can be taken two ways, he was stating the obvious, something that nobody else has the guts to state, or he was simply saying that they are already good enough not too mention the transfers making them even better (maybe he shouldn't have said anything he is his own man, others may have bit their tongue, who cares?). It isn't ours to pass judgment on the intent of his comments.

I would heavily discourage anyone from making disparaging remarks or comments about the players of any team. However, Coach only stated the obvious, Richlands is good and they are even better with these kids. He didn't ridicule anyone, didn't talk bad about anyone, in fact he complimented the team.

If this comment makes Coach Rowe classless, then what would folks be saying if he met the kids from Richlands after the game and started discussing "possibilities about their future?"

All hell would break loose! and everyone on this board knows it to be the truth!

Fact is ................."you reap what you sow!"

(could care less who transferred to Richlands in the past or in the future, if a parent wants to move his kid, more power to them, exposure is good for any athlete and RHS gets plenty of it, but lets don't pretend that there isn't an elephant in the room!)

Edited by bucfan64

I think it sounds like Rowe was saying Richlands has recruited players, I dont think thats how he meant it. But he is right, the Blues would be a great team w/o the xfrs but with them they are a much better team. Its just the truth. I dont think he was making excuses, if anything he was making a statement to how good Richlands is.

I disagree with sending your kids to play at Richlands so they can have a shot at state. Its not about winning state, its about competing and representing your home town/community.

depends on what your kids want i guess...if they want to play college ball and *key words here* are good enough...then Richlands gives them the best chance around here to do so...they will have scouts looking at kids and would give a kid who has the talent to start at Richlands and college a much better chance than some of the other schools around here do. yeah you can say "if your kid is good enough, it doesnt matter where he plays"...well, that's just not true.

that's all i was saying...state is just a nice added benefit as far as that goes....really great example of this is the Lockhart kid...he has a much better chance of getting college offers where he is at now vs. on his back at Tazewell every play.

yeah you have the bye, forgot that...hope you beat Martinsville or whoever you get then lol.

as for the rest, spanked? you guys spanked the scoreboard...but other than that the hits kept coming all night...i told you, lay 70 next time if you want, but you're going to get smacked in the teeth for 4 qtrs while you do it.

send us the transfers and lets see how it goes with the rest of our team....probably be a lot closer with just Lockhart at QB and Johnson in the backfield....much less the defensive improvements we could make with the xfrs.

so go on and thump your chest about how bad you guys are...lol....you have a good team, with the xfrs you have a great team. Not sure what gets you all upset about saying that, but its the truth.

I told someone the other day if i had a kid that could play at Richlands, that's where he would be if i lived around here...be crazy not to want your kid to have a shot at state...but, let's not pretend that it is something that it's not...without the xfr's you would still have a good team...but with them you are much much better...there is a difference and it's a huge difference....that Lockhart kid is great, would love to have him at Grundy...and Johnson is a horse, big kid that runs hard like that...who wouldn't want him in the backfield....not even mentioning the others...just those two alone make you a much better team...sure you have kids that can step in and play the positions, but those two alone are a huge advantage....I don't think you would have a legit shot at state without the xfrs...with them you do.

i like hard hitting football...i like it when you can hear it in the stands...that's what we had in the game the other night, and I'd like to see it again before we drop and don't see them play again...if we get beat, we get beat...i'd just like to see the two play again....Grundy needs to play more teams like that, makes you better in the long run....and it's just fun to watch...even down 42 - 0 the other night it was still fun to watch as time ran out....nothing better to me than a good hitting game and thats what it was....but, that's just me.

PS: if Grundy "sucks" and that's the best you can do against a team with no threat to pass the ball, then you better not book your hotels at state just yet.

Your right the xfrs do help the Blues. Did not say that. But the Blues could stomp Grundy without any xfrs. We could give you all the xfrs and still beat you by 40+ points. We beat most of the xfrs when they where on other teams anyway. Don't see why it would make a difference if they played for you.

It's just hard to set back and take a loosing teams coach taking a shot at your team. And thats what he did. You can say he didn't mean it that way but you know he did. If it was Mance taking a shot at Grundy you would prob. be the first one on here running your mouth about it! And for these kids who came to Richlands they did it on there own. Some because they wanted to win and some just moved back to there families. And FYI a parent from Grundy asked a RHS parent about his kids coming to RHS. I guess he figured out Grundy sucks!

We may not make it to state but one thing is for sure we will go farther than you!