Grundy Golden Wave

Rhschamps04

I talked to Mike about a week 1/2 ago and I could have sworn he said Ben was a junior.

Yes, there has been some boys from Hurley transfer to Grundy to either wrestle, play football, basketball etc. Grundy has benefitted from the tranfers (Scott Justus,P.j. Justus,Hurshel Justus, Theo Justus and few others) but I don't know if they were recruited.

Ben is a JR this year.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys get a chance, go to Bluegrass Rivals and look under the thread "ANE confirms KHSAA Pike Central Investigation". Pike Central is about 50 minutes to hour from Hurley in Johns Creek. Pike Central is accused of recruiting players from outside of Pike County but the kids don't live in Pike County.

Pike Central went from "middle of the road program" to challenging Belfry in a short time. Appalachian News Express (ANE) writes an interesting article and makes you think about the recruiting process.

You guys get a chance, go to Bluegrass Rivals and look under the thread "ANE confirms KHSAA Pike Central Investigation". Pike Central is about 50 minutes to hour from Hurley in Johns Creek. Pike Central is accused of recruiting players from outside of Pike County but the kids don't live in Pike County.

Pike Central went from "middle of the road program" to challenging Belfry in a short time. Appalachian News Express (ANE) writes an interesting article and makes you think about the recruiting process.

I think every school is guilty of that ....Im not saying nor implying anything was given to any kid to go anywhere but there all guilty of trying to sway a kid to there program if they think it will help them. Richlands,Grundy,Hurley,Abingdon,Tazwell etc, etc, there all guilty of that as far as Pike Central they have had some kids come in to there program that played for there coach at another school and I believe it's more of a loyalty and comfort thing with the kids that transferd to PC. Recruiting in East Ky? Hell Belfrey has had more success recruiting than Frank Beamer...If not for WV kids Belfrey wouldnt have those State Championship rings example David Jones,Doug Howard and I can go on and on and when the new school opens at Matewan they'll pick up even more from across the line. I do agree it's rampant in East Ky and the KHSAA si going to have to address it.

As far as all the talk about Richlands hell they dont rebuild they reload there's a big area 30 minutes travel time to RHS and if a kid is a die hard footballer I'll gaurentee he'll want to go there plain and simple.

I allways pull for Grundy to beat Richlands never happened since I followed them but I've saw some damn good showings by Grundy against them they dont have any reason to hang there heads and if they meet again those kids will bring the wood every play.

Good luck to Hurley and Grundy Friday night.

Yes, there has been some boys from Hurley transfer to Grundy to either wrestle, play football, basketball etc. Grundy has benefitted from the tranfers (Scott Justus,P.j. Justus,Hurshel Justus, Theo Justus and few others) but I don't know if they were recruited.

Did they "transfer"? For athletics, your "home" school is whereever you start 9th grade. If Hurley kids started 9th grade at Grundy, they didn't transfer.

I've heard the same things you heard...I don't know the real answer? I also heard it was a Tazewell County decision if we dropped that none of the teams would be playing us anymore, that was prior to the drop...don't know if it was a threat to try to pressure us to stay in the SWD or what? May not even be true, but that's what i heard.

I have some insight into that, although it's a bit stale.

The angle I heard had nothing to do with pressuring Grundy to stay -- in fact, it was almost exactly the opposite. Graham was rumbling about leaving the SWD for Group A and the MED as early as the late 1980's, with travel being their main concern. In making their case to the administration in Tazewell County at the time, Graham's leadership mentioned the trip to Grundy as a strong motivator for their intended action. At that particular point in time, Grundy's enrollment numbers were high enough to indicate that the Golden Wave would be stuck in Group AA for a considerable amount of time. Thus, there was no pressure for them to stay because they really didn't have any other choice. And the state of the SWD was such back then that the loss of any additional teams posed major scheduling headaches for the AD's in the remaining schools. So the informal "policy" was that as long as Grundy remained a Group AA school, the three Group AA schools in Tazewell would be committed to remain with them. BTW, for the curious among us, Frank Cosby was the superintendent who developed this "policy." This will also tell you how far back we're going time-wise.

(As an aside, that's also how Carroll County wound up in the SWD. Concerns about travel time to Hillsville were outweighed by the fact that the Cavs offered a guaranteed opponent every year. SWD administrators would've loved to have Blacksburg and Christiansburg at that time for the same reason, but those schools pursued what proved to be better options for them. Carroll's choice was limited to either the Piedmont or the SWD.)

Cosby's "rule" didn't say much about what relationships the Tazewell schools might have with Grundy after the Golden Wave drops to Group A. Since it was based entirely on scheduling concerns, it was probably presumed that Grundy wouldn't have as much trouble finding opponents in Group A, but there is no special arrangement or prohibition of which I am aware.

If Richlands is looking for games, I hear Bluefield is wanting to play them.

BTW, points awarded for that comment.

If anyone representing Richlands is bothered about continuing the series with Grundy in light of all other factors, that is rather perplexing -- and also somewhat distasteful, IMO.

that's the old agreement...what i heard is that when some folks at Grundy started talking about moving to A level, it was said that none of the Tazewell County schools would be playing us if we moved. This is like last year when there was all the fuss over it. Grundy itself was divided on this move, there were two groups of people and one wanted to drop, the other wanted to stay at AA...in the end the choice was to go to A level. Like I said, I'm not sure if it is true or not, I've never asked the AD or anyone like that, but the rumor was that Tazewell Co let it be known that if we dropped that they would not be playing us anymore...not sure why or who was behind it or if it even happened, but that's the story I heard. I think at the time Graham was not decided on dropping and the thinking was if Grundy dropped it would take Graham down with them...not sure they wanted that to happen at that point.

that's the old agreement...what i heard is that when some folks at Grundy started talking about moving to A level, it was said that none of the Tazewell County schools would be playing us if we moved. This is like last year when there was all the fuss over it. Grundy itself was divided on this move, there were two groups of people and one wanted to drop, the other wanted to stay at AA...in the end the choice was to go to A level. Like I said, I'm not sure if it is true or not, I've never asked the AD or anyone like that, but the rumor was that Tazewell Co let it be known that if we dropped that they would not be playing us anymore...not sure why or who was behind it or if it even happened, but that's the story I heard. I think at the time Graham was not decided on dropping and the thinking was if Grundy dropped it would take Graham down with them...not sure they wanted that to happen at that point.

Gotcha.

I'm sure it would have been preferable for the folks in Tazewell County to keep the three schools within the same district and classification for as long as possible. And maybe the thought was that Grundy and Graham could hang on until Richlands and Tazewell had the numbers to drop with them. However, it's rather petty and short-sighted, IMO, for the county to effectively "blackball" Grundy. But stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the info.

Did they "transfer"? For athletics, your "home" school is whereever you start 9th grade. If Hurley kids started 9th grade at Grundy, they didn't transfer.

I believe they all started school in the 9th. grade for Grundy. I just considered them transfers because some of them played pee-wee and little league ball for Hurley.

i always wanted to try that MMA stuff lol....hmmmm....i'm more of a Butterbean kinda guy :)

You look like Butterbean as well! lol..... Well if you would have taken that cap off I could have gotten a better look!