Carroll County?

CarrollCavs78

Hey all

It's been a while since I've been on the boards but it looks like Carroll had a pretty decent season and has a home playoff game coming up. We lost to Basset in our first game close right? I'm living in Florida right now but I'm actually driving home early tomorrow morning and thinking about going to the game now that I realize we have one. What are some things I should watch for and can someone give me a quick rundown of the Cavs season? How bad did Richlands beat us? Have we passed the ball more than twice this year? Still run the single wing? Man it's been so long since I've been home, didn't we renovate our field or something? Are our refs still the worst in the SWD? Updates people, updates.

Hey all

It's been a while since I've been on the boards but it looks like Carroll had a pretty decent season and has a home playoff game coming up. We lost to Basset in our first game close right? I'm living in Florida right now but I'm actually driving home early tomorrow morning and thinking about going to the game now that I realize we have one. What are some things I should watch for and can someone give me a quick rundown of the Cavs season? How bad did Richlands beat us? Have we passed the ball more than twice this year? Still run the single wing? Man it's been so long since I've been home, didn't we renovate our field or something? Are our refs still the worst in the SWD? Updates people, updates.

I can't tell ya much about CC this year except for the Richlands game. The final score of that game was Richlands 63 CC 0

CC didn't throw much and when they did they were not very effective.

Someone from CC could give you much better info on them, someone like Huntercav. Maybe he'll see your post and chime in.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Guest Woolybugger
Hey all

They actually had four TD passes in the first half last week. Folks were leaving at halftime complaining of dizziness.

Otherwise, still the wing-t (no single wing since Haynie's days).

CC's had a good year. They had nothing for Richlands (63-0) or C'burg (40-0) and lost on a last-second FG to Bassett, but handled everybody else pretty easy, except Grayson. That one went OT, but CC was up 28-7 at halftime. No stars, but about 5-6 guys getting 40-60 yards a night.

Real young up front when they lost to Bassett. Anxious to see how much has changed since then.

Same ol field, but with new scoreboard and play clocks. Mosh pit by the concession stand still going strong.

Guest Woolybugger
How is that cheap?

I would call it agressive!

...or respect for the return man

Well from the sidelines I got kinda ticked off with CC never kicking the ball off. All they kicked were squibs and onside kicks. Cheap way to play if you ask me.

Many HS teams squib kick-offs. Many with strong kickers do it to try and keep the ball away from returners, and pin teams inside the 20. With the automatic touchback on kicks in the endzone the squib at least guarantees a return.

Guest Woolybugger
Well from the sidelines I got kinda ticked off with CC never kicking the ball off. All they kicked were squibs and onside kicks. Cheap way to play if you ask me.

Perfect answer to your question...

Last night vs. Bassett, CC onside kicked three times in the first half, recovering the first one and pretty much giving Bassett the ball at midfield twice. The only time they kicked deep was to start the second half, and the kid from Bassett ran it back.

That's why. Trust your defense, not your coverage against superior speed.

Exactly! Haysi has kicked off to the sideline for years, the reason being that we generally dont have alot of speed so if you kick the ball to one of the up men they probably arent gonna make much of a return out of it.

Not to contradict Wooly's response, but: Carroll County's placekicker damaged his knee in the Grayson game and only returned for the Richland's game (had an open date and three games in-between). He hasn't kicked off since the Grayson game and was putting some of the balls back around the goal line before his injury. His back up missed several games with knee surgery and only returned a couple of games ago. The situation with placekickers has as much to do with the short kicks as any other factor. Special teams has been very good and these kids covered kicks well with their #1 kicker. Since his injury, kickoffs have suffered. I would expect more of the same with Christiansburg, but we only kicked off once in our first meeting, so it may be a moot issue now!

As for it being "cheap," I guess hitting a 3-wood or iron off the tee to put the ball in play as opposed to a driver in the weeds is also cheap? Dinks over the net in tennis are also cheap? Sheesh, it's called the best strategy given the situation and typing without knowing the situation is cheap at best!

Guest Woolybugger
Not to contradict Wooly's response, but: Carroll County's placekicker damaged his knee in the Grayson game and only returned for the Richland's game (had an open date and three games in-between). He hasn't kicked off since the Grayson game and was putting some of the balls back around the goal line before his injury. His back up missed several games with knee surgery and only returned a couple of games ago. The situation with placekickers has as much to do with the short kicks as any other factor. Special teams has been very good and these kids covered kicks well with their #1 kicker. Since his injury, kickoffs have suffered. I would expect more of the same with Christiansburg, but we only kicked off once in our first meeting, so it may be a moot issue now!

As for it being "cheap," I guess hitting a 3-wood or iron off the tee to put the ball in play as opposed to a driver in the weeds is also cheap? Dinks over the net in tennis are also cheap? Sheesh, it's called the best strategy given the situation and typing without knowing the situation is cheap at best!

That's true. Still, 29 was on the KO team as a coverage guy, at least on a couple of kicks. I was glad to see him hitting his PATs solid. You know if KOs bother his knee?

Uli is kicking PAT's and also hit a short FG in the Bassett game. The injury is to his "plant leg" and that creates problems trying to drive KO's. I talked to him right before the Graham game and his knee was still bothering him. He's a tough kid who wants to play and we can all understand that feeling. Let's just hope there is no carry over with this injury to his upcoming soccer season.