Local Bowling Updates:

I figure as not to hijack other threads, it'd be a nice idea to have a thread that we all could use to post some updates about our bowling: bragging, complaining, and everything in between!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This season's been a rough one for me thus far: through last week, I'd only had three 600-series on the year, and my average was suffering: 180 on Tuesday nights, and 187 on Friday nights. This year started out much last year, except slightly better. Last year, I was able to turn on the jets in November and close the season with a 196 average.

I can tell it's November, because the lanes are really starting to come to me within the last week. I came out to shoot a 180-214-213 on Tuesday night for a 607-series, my first 600-series of the year on Tuesday night (I know, it's been that bad a season). But the real shocker came Friday night.

Now, to set this story up. After bowling the 607 on Tuesday, I woke up with gout pain in my left foot on Wednesday. It was minor, and I felt as if I could get over it by taking in more water with baking soda. Well, Wednesday afternoon, I sprained my right ankle slightly overcompensating for the gouty foot. Thursday, I go to the doctor and get a steroid pack with Naproxen to eliminate the pain as well as possible and lower the swelling. Friday morning comes around, I'm not sure if I'll be able to go. As the day goes on, the pain lessens and I feel a little more confident in putting weight on it. Friday night, I feel about 85%, so I figure to give it a go.

In practice, I notice that my ball was reacting unusually well to the lane surface. I had "cooked" my ball to eliminate surface oil on it before Tuesday's league, and it gave me more reaction Tuesday. I normally come across the 6-board with a gentle hook to the pocket, but in practice Friday, I was coming across the 3-board and getting enough angle to scatter the pins. All my shots from the 3-board to the 7-board were working, and as luck would have it, I was the only one throwing that particular line (until the 2nd game, when the other team started trying to burn that line up to keep my scores down...).

First game, I whiff on a 4-pin in the first frame. Second frame, I bury a shot just to leave a stone-8, which I converted. The next 8 frames played out like this: X-X-X-X-X-X-X-XX9 (and yep, I thought I should've had a strike on the 9). Comes out to a 268, one of my 10-highest games ever. Second game starts out: X-X-X-X-X-X. I hit 15 strikes in a 16-frame stretch, just bowling out of my mind: if I got the ball ANYWHERE close, it would hold its line and either have enough angle to scatter the pins (if light), or just plain bury them (if strong). About this time, the opposing team starts throwing my line (different style, different mark, everything), to the detriment of their own scores, just to burn up that line and force me to adjust. It works somewhat: I throw a split in the 7th and a spare in the 8th, before doubling in the 9th-10th to end up with a 243.

Well, I'm shooting 511 after 2 games, the second-best score I've ever had after 2 games (once had a 277-256 before finishing with a 139). The first 5 frames of the third game: \-X-S-\-\. I'm in jeopardy of not shooting a 700 after starting out like I did. I walked away for a few moments, came back, and decided to up the speed to create less turn on my ball to account for the jackasses that burned up my line. And it worked. Threw 7 in a row to end it, shooting a 237. We lost the 3rd game by 4 pins: partner threw one in the gutter off a spare in the 10th.

But the series came out: 268-243-237, for a 748. That's 118 pins higher than any series I've thrown this year. It's my 4th-ever 700-series, and 2nd-best ever (threw a 749 in Summer 2009). It bumped my average up from a 187.65 to a 192.30, and puts me just about 275 pins off a 200-average. Very manageable, and gives me a lot of hope going to Christmas.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my average at 200 for the season until last Monday's disaster...will probably be looking at a 197 on the sheet this week...

That's some nice bowling you did there...can't fuss about a 748...LOL...

In my wed night league this past week had the first ten on the eleventh ball i go up and take a little speed off the ball and bam straight though the nose lol. left the big four end up with a 284 but to make matters worse didnt even shoot 700. I had a 698 shot a 181 233 and 284. Very nice set by the way 748 is impressive and good luck with the 200 avg on the next few weeks

In my wed night league this past week had the first ten on the eleventh ball i go up and take a little speed off the ball and bam straight though the nose lol. left the big four end up with a 284 but to make matters worse didnt even shoot 700. I had a 698 shot a 181 233 and 284. Very nice set by the way 748 is impressive and good luck with the 200 avg on the next few weeks

Ah man, that's brutal! But still, 698's a great set, too. Just a shame to have that big-4 cost you both a perfect game and a 700. I had the front 10 myself about a year ago, and gripped it at the bottom of my swing to leave a 2-8-10. Finished with a 285.

And I thank you. Going to be tough to do, but not impossible.

Btw, I love the bowling updates idea.

I bowl on Thursday night league at Claypool Hill. I am the only wheelchair bowler on the league and my avg is 159 right now. My shot is too inconsistent, which is due to lack of practice. One week i bowl a low 500 series and the next week i bowl 450ish series. That is so frustrating!! :) My goal for the year was to finish with a 170 avg. Still alot of weeks left in the league but i need to get going to get to that 170 avg LOL.

Last night, I beat last week's disaster by 150 pins...and it should have been more...a lot more...

When you say disaster, just how bad of a disaster was that?

I bowled in a 700-Club tournament that the USBC sponsors up here in PA on Sunday. Bowled at a house I'm very unfamiliar with, but still shot 201-201-196. Just had too many splits (2) and open frames (5). Even in my 748-series, I had 2 splits and 3 open frames, else that could've been 780. Hopefully, I'll be more consistent tonight.

Btw, I love the bowling updates idea.

I bowl on Thursday night league at Claypool Hill. I am the only wheelchair bowler on the league and my avg is 159 right now. My shot is too inconsistent, which is due to lack of practice. One week i bowl a low 500 series and the next week i bowl 450ish series. That is so frustrating!! :) My goal for the year was to finish with a 170 avg. Still alot of weeks left in the league but i need to get going to get to that 170 avg LOL.

That's awesome! We have a few wheelchair bowlers up here, and after bowling with and against them several times, I know that it takes some real talent and coordination. I sure as heck couldn't do it. Keep working at that 170 average, still a lot of time, especially as you're just 11 pins off it!

When you say disaster, just how bad of a disaster was that?

Low game 155, high game 162...other game was almost as "good" as the high game...sub-480 series...could have done better left-handed...

Last night, I had big uglies (read: nasty-ass split) in the 9th frame of the first two games...one ended up in the 230s, the other in the 2-teens. Last game I pounding the pocket and kept leaving corner pins...no strikes from 5th frame on finished in the 180s...

That's awesome! We have a few wheelchair bowlers up here, and after bowling with and against them several times, I know that it takes some real talent and coordination. I sure as heck couldn't do it. Keep working at that 170 average, still a lot of time, especially as you're just 11 pins off it!

Thanks man! I didnt bowl for a few years after accident because i didnt think i could do it, but come to find out, i bowl better now than before :) Pre-wheelchair, my best game and series was (222, 575). Post-wheelchair (233, 611). There are some advantages to wheelchair bowling, dont have to worry about fouling, unless of course i dont lockdown soon enough and cross the line LOL :)

Thanks man! I didnt bowl for a few years after accident because i didnt think i could do it, but come to find out, i bowl better now than before :) Pre-wheelchair, my best game and series was (222, 575). Post-wheelchair (233, 611). There are some advantages to wheelchair bowling, dont have to worry about fouling, unless of course i dont lockdown soon enough and cross the line LOL :)

I agree with UVAO...that is awesome!!! Maybe we'll all have to get together and go bowling some day!

Last night was the best my shot has felt in awhile but still could only manage a 491 series (167,184,140). I bet i left ten 10 pins (thankfully i picked most of them up)!!! :) I even left a 7,9 split on probably my best shot of the night!! my middle game, i struck every time on one lane but couldnt get them to fall on the other lane. Overall, last night was encouraging moving forward even though our team lost all four!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hope his is better than mine...I'm going the wrong direction. I've bowled like crap the past few weeks...too many splits and too many missed 10-pins...

I've bowled crappy ever since coming back for Thanksgiving. Nothing worse than 520, but nothing better than 540. I'm downright erratic on spare shots: I left TEN opens last Friday night (but when you hit 19 strikes, you can salvage a 530). Shot a 203 last Friday night and left FOUR opens in that game: O-S-S-X-X-X-O-X-X-XX9. Can't leave 40+ pins out there every game.

Tuesday nights are really a lost cause now. I'm averaging just 181 on Tuesday nights (doesn't help that I threw a 532 last night), and I'll be lucky to get that to a 190 by the end of the season. That league has a match-play format, and I haven't won a game in 4 weeks (0-9 last three weeks, but I've also been sandbagged a little bit by opponents with 150 averages throwing 520-series). Never bowled a 5-man league before, so we live and learn.

Friday nights have more promise, I'm still at 192, but that's down from a 193.90 last week. If I can throw well on Friday night and I can get back up to that 193 by Christmas, I won't be too displeased. Considering there's a whole other half a season after Christmas, I might be able to make up some of that deficit.

Getting a Hammer Jigsaw Corner for Christmas, and it's supposed to have backend unlike anything I've ever thrown before. Considering that's what I lack most, it could be a perfect fit. The only 300 I've ever thrown was with a Hammer, and it seemed to hold up better over time than any other ball I've had. Looking forward to it, and perhaps that'll help up my scores by a little bit.

Hope his is better than mine...I'm going the wrong direction. I've bowled like crap the past few weeks...too many splits and too many missed 10-pins...

I missed 4 of them last night. Left seven 10-pins: hit 2, missed 4, 1 was on the last shot of the 10th after a spare.

At one point, three straight frames I had the 6-pin deflect off the 10-pin and miss. The third after I adjusted...

Last night: 6 big splits (I'm not talking baby splits..."easiest" split I left was a 5-7), a complete whiff on the 6-10 (tossed it in the gutter about half way down the lane), and a chop on the 6-10 (I'm really good at that). I did convert my only 10-pin of the night (yes, that's right, I had only one 10-pin leave the entire night)...second straight week with a 567. I may suck but at least I'm consistent...

Last night: 6 big splits (I'm not talking baby splits..."easiest" split I left was a 5-7), a complete whiff on the 6-10 (tossed it in the gutter about half way down the lane), and a chop on the 6-10 (I'm really good at that). I did convert my only 10-pin of the night (yes, that's right, I had only one 10-pin leave the entire night)...second straight week with a 567. I may suck but at least I'm consistent...

I bet I chop more 6-10s than you do! I get rattled when I leave a 3-6-10 or 6-10, for fear of chopping it. But you're in fine shape to recover from that: a 630 nullifies a 570, so I look at it.

I finally broke the bad streak Friday night: bowled a 191-220-201 for a 612 series. Five opens, three of them splits: I can't stand leaving 50+ pins out there a night. Didn't matter that I bowled well: guy on the other team bowled a 300 (his 3rd, and he's 23), and it's hard to overcome that in a doubles league. Cost us a shot at the first-half title, too: we ended up third for the first half, and will bowl the 4th-place squad in the position round.

I bowl again tonight, though I'm concerned how I'll do after taking a huge exam this morning. This is the league I'm 0-9 in for the past three weeks. I just wonder how badly I'll be sandbagged tonight.

How about this for a series?

202-205-145. Yep, not a misprint on the last game. Had a 50 in the 5th frame, no lie. Threw FOUR nasty splits (nothing easier than a 4-7-9), and had a gnat fly into my eye on one of the other 2 spare shots. Wrecked what had been a very nice series up to that point. I won the first two games (for the first time in 4 weeks), and lost the last one pretty badly. Didn't help that the guy I was bowling against was acting like he won the Super Bowl during that last game.

Slump-buster night at Mountaineer Lanes:

256-214-234 - 704

29 out of 30 clean...only open a missed 10-pin in the 5th frame of the 1st game then XXXXXX9 to finish.

Should bring the average up a couple or three pins...

• 1 month later...

Bowled my best series in quite awhile last night. Bowled a (571) 182, 195 and 194. Could have been much better but missed a few easy spares. Very encouraging, hope i can keep it up!!!

Bowled my best series in quite awhile last night. Bowled a (571) 182, 195 and 194. Could have been much better but missed a few easy spares. Very encouraging, hope i can keep it up!!!

Nice bowling! I love having a consistent night like that.

Last Monday, I bowled 203-214-213, had one open in each game (one split and two 10-pins), good mix of strikes and spares, in the pocket all night. Funny thing is, I really didn't feel like I bowled that well but I wasn't disappointed with the end result. Unfortunately, my 630 was high on our team by 176 pins. The other three bowlers on my team struggled with 405 (156 ave.), 454 (154 ave.), and 453 (201 ave.)...first two fellas are 80+ y/o, the last guy bowled a 300 in our 3rd game the week before...call it a "let down".

My average is still hanging just below 200. With the exception of the 704 I shot a month or so ago, I've been between 545 and 645...587, 545 (make-up week), 645, 585, 630.