Local Bowling Updates:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

188-237-189 - 614...at least I rolled over my average tonight...I'll take considering I pulled a muscle in my back over the weekend.

Drugs (legal) can be a wonderful thing...but its going to suck when they wear off...

Did anyone see "Major Mika" choke the U.S. Open away? Missed a 10-pin to lose it.

Missed bowling yesterday...watched it both Friday and Saturday nights though.

I had a nice, consistent night tonight...178-279-210 - 667...average will be 201 after this week. 279 = XXX XXX X/X XXX...tossed it high in the 8th frame and got lucky leaving only the 3-pin.

Missed bowling yesterday...watched it both Friday and Saturday nights though.

I had a nice, consistent night tonight...178-279-210 - 667...average will be 201 after this week. 279 = XXX XXX X/X XXX...tossed it high in the 8th frame and got lucky leaving only the 3-pin.

Great second game, and how nice it is to have your average over 200! Reminds me of a game I had 2 summers ago...one shot came barely in high, left a 4-pin. I think it was the 6th frame where I left mine. Here's to a strong finish for you!

I had another nice series Friday before coming home. 211-216-203 for the 630 set. It was a losing effort, we only took 1 of 4, but I can live with that series every time out. My best series of the year minus the two 700s.

First game, I had three opens in the first six frames...not difficult leaves, just missed the spares. Second game, every shot was flush in the pocket except for the one I tugged through the nose for the 3-pin leave. Third game, started with a double, then a big split (4-7-10), then a turkey before leaving a weak 5-7 split. Had thoughts of another big game and 700 until the second split.

A strong finish is what I need...7 more weeks. Over the last five weeks, I've averaged 218/game (701, 574, 727, 614, 667). If I can keep that pace the rest of the season, I can finish with around a 205 average. But I'm just hoping to keep it at 200...

Just got a new ball, Columbia Burst. A little more agressive than I am used to. We had our local association tournament this past weekend. in my 2nd series with the new ball, i bowled 217-191-179 (587). with my handicap, it got me a 683 series and 5th place in singles event!! Problem is, i was one place out of the money!!! LOL

I think I am gonna love the ball, just not quite used to sitting so far left and having to throw out to the edge to hit the pocket, but it carries ALOT better than my other ball.

Btw, i did see Mika miss the 10 pin!! He looked like me throwing at a 10 pin lol

Just got a new ball, Columbia Burst. A little more agressive than I am used to. We had our local association tournament this past weekend. in my 2nd series with the new ball, i bowled 217-191-179 (587). with my handicap, it got me a 683 series and 5th place in singles event!! Problem is, i was one place out of the money!!! LOL

I think I am gonna love the ball, just not quite used to sitting so far left and having to throw out to the edge to hit the pocket, but it carries ALOT better than my other ball.

Btw, i did see Mika miss the 10 pin!! He looked like me throwing at a 10 pin lol

Nice bowling! The Burst is a good ball...actually thought about getting one a few months back but never pulled the trigger. I love my Columbia Rival, its been one of the best balls I've ever owned. Was looking to replace it with the Burst, but the way I've been rolling the Rival lately, I'm glad I didn't! LOL

Nice bowling! The Burst is a good ball...actually thought about getting one a few months back but never pulled the trigger. I love my Columbia Rival, its been one of the best balls I've ever owned. Was looking to replace it with the Burst, but the way I've been rolling the Rival lately, I'm glad I didn't! LOL

I cant blame you for that LOL I have been bowling pretty well with my visionary but i was wanting something with a little more pop and carried better. My lack of speed sometimes limits my pin action even with a good pocket shot

Just got back from league tonite and shot a 687 first game shot a 209 left one open (a bucket). Second game just couldn't seem to get anything really going, would put one or two together and then spare one or two for a 188. Last game is where it gets frustrating!! 1st frame hit dead center pocket and left the 7 pin for a 9/ after that i got things back on track and hit the next 11 to finish with a 290. Just very frustrating to hit dead pocket and have a single pin cost me a ring.

Just got back from league tonite and shot a 687 first game shot a 209 left one open (a bucket). Second game just couldn't seem to get anything really going, would put one or two together and then spare one or two for a 188. Last game is where it gets frustrating!! 1st frame hit dead center pocket and left the 7 pin for a 9/ after that i got things back on track and hit the next 11 to finish with a 290. Just very frustrating to hit dead pocket and have a single pin cost me a ring.

Great series! It's a shame about the last game. GMan's shot one of those, I believe. At least it's better than the other way around: 11 and then a weak 7.

Nice game/set!!!!

First time I had 11-in-a-row, I shot 290. First ball was light and left the bucket (2-4-5-8) but converted. The next 11 balls were dead solid flush strikes...was using the above mentioned Columbia Rival.

But that's not as frustrating as shooting 299 and leaving the head pin on the final ball...:eek:...like I did last year...

Thanks. Just wish it would have been a better set. Seems like everytime i have a big game i stick my head in the sand on another one.

Not sure how i would take the 299 with the head pin, I guess you could chalk it up to nerves god knows i would be lucky to hit the lane on the 12th ball. I think in an odd way thats better then hitting pocket and leaving a solid 8 or a solid 10. just my opinion though

I wonder how many other 299s have been shot where the headpin was the only pin standing...has to be a very rare feat. I mean, you don't see the headpin left as the only pin very often, much less on the 12th ball going for a 300...

Thanks. Just wish it would have been a better set. Seems like everytime i have a big game i stick my head in the sand on another one.

Not sure how i would take the 299 with the head pin, I guess you could chalk it up to nerves god knows i would be lucky to hit the lane on the 12th ball. I think in an odd way thats better then hitting pocket and leaving a solid 8 or a solid 10. just my opinion though

My lone 300, I threw the ball Brooklyn and just plain got lucky. Tugged the crap out of it.

I haven't been above 268 in 16 months, so I don't know when I'll get my next chance.

Well, UVAO and I had a "Hokie-'Hoo Bowling Battle" today at Mountaineer Lanes.

UVAO started out REAL STRONG smoking me 243-166 in Game 1 and 237-179 in Game 2. Game 3 saw both of us catch fire, but I came out on top in the end 242-215. Game 4, the wheels kinda came off UVAO as I rolled, 204-157. Game 5 was a very tight game but a late open by UVAO gave me a 192-179 advantage in the end.

UVAO won total pins 1031-983, but I won the match play 3-2.

A good time was had by all...too bad we didn't have enough time for cigars and drinks...

Well, UVAO and I had a "Hokie-'Hoo Bowling Battle" today at Mountaineer Lanes.

UVAO started out REAL STRONG smoking me 243-166 in Game 1 and 237-179 in Game 2. Game 3 saw both of us catch fire, but I came out on top in the end 242-215. Game 4, the wheels kinda came off UVAO as I rolled, 204-157. Game 5 was a very tight game but a late open by UVAO gave me a 192-179 advantage in the end.

UVAO won total pins 1031-983, but I won the match play 3-2.

A good time was had by all...too bad we didn't have enough time for cigars and drinks...

I must admit, GMan's bowling today certainly backs up what he's telling us on this board! It's uncanny how much our approaches are the same: both have a short-stepped approach; both have a short backswing; both start between the 15-20 boards and both aim between the 4-7 boards. GMan throws a little more inside-out with less speed, and I go a bit straighter and harder. Great minds think and work alike!

I don't know what in the world got into me in the first three games. I joked that of course, I'd throw my third-best series of the year when bowling for fun! Those first three games combined were a 695, and that could've been a 700 had I not missed my target right in the 10th frame of game 3. Meanwhile, GMan had a shaky start but really settled into his comfort zone in games 3-5. There were flashes in games 1-2, but once the oil started to carry down, those shots stopped going high and just started burying in the pocket.

My wheels sure did come off in the 4th game. The lanes started to break down a bit, particularly the left one. Four opens in that game if I recall, three of them splits: a 5-7, 6-7-10 and 4-6-7. The last two back-to-back in the 8th and 9th frame. I had to strike out just to get the 157. Brutal game.

For the 5th game, I adjusted by just increasing the speed. It seemed to work, but I had to trade in a lot of accuracy and angle to do that. Almost left a pocket 8-10 at one point. I fatigued by having to ratchet up the speed as much as I did, and that led to a split in the 2nd half of the game. The 9th-frame miss of the 7-pin gave GMan the match play.

Indeed, a wonderful time was had! We'll have to do this again when I make another trek down to Bluefield. Perhaps the 4th of July, hopefully not as late as Thanksgiving. And I second the request for refreshments! :D

Just came back tonight. 3rd best series of the season, but one I'm pretty proud of.

216-208-227 for a nice 651. Only 1 open frame on the night, and that was a nasty 1-2-7-8-10 leave in the first game. Everything from that point onward was either a 9/ or X. Too bad I couldn't string together strikes: a lot of 9/-X-9/-X-X-9/-9/. Made a good adjustment in the 3rd game, went from straight-in to a little more outside-in, and it was effective.

Sure beats Tuesday night's 567!

Nice set!!! I hate those nights when it seems like your throwing a good ball and just cant get a good strike run going. On the bright side you were consistent.

Many thanks! I'll take that consistency. My 2nd-best series ever in terms of just piling up marks. Had 1 clean series last year, and that was much the same: a 630, couldn't string strikes well.

I had a good night last night in league. Bowled 193-185-203 (581). Would have easily had my 3rd 600 series ever but opened in the first frame every game!! Overall, i am pleased with my bowling, my avg (163) is up 11 pins since the end of 2010 season. I feel i am ready for my tourney next weekend in VA Beach

I had a good night last night in league. Bowled 193-185-203 (581). Would have easily had my 3rd 600 series ever but opened in the first frame every game!! Overall, i am pleased with my bowling, my avg (163) is up 11 pins since the end of 2010 season. I feel i am ready for my tourney next weekend in VA Beach

Best of luck in your tournament! You seem to be bowling your best in the weeks leading up to it. Another solid series, but don't you just hate those opens! Opened in the 8th frame of that first game tonight. Left the double-wood, and only converted the first.