Local Bowling Updates:

Bowled my best series in quite awhile last night. Bowled a (571) 182, 195 and 194. Could have been much better but missed a few easy spares. Very encouraging, hope i can keep it up!!!

Well done! I've been pre-bowling everything until after the bar exam finishes, and I've had just 1 week over 600 in the last 4. Yesterday, I prebowled a 149-192-182. My new ball's working wonderfully, I'm just woefully out of practice.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowled King of the Hill last night at Richlands. Bowled a (490) 168-165-157. Kinda disappointing even though i was above my avg.

I decided to laser bowl with my niece and sis last night and bowled 203-177-195 and the 4th game i had 114 in the 6th with a double going. If i could have bowled those games in King of the Hill, would have been 2nd qualifier!! Oh well!!! LOL

King of the Hill...I bowled that one time at Mountaineer. Had about 20 or so people in it...Top 8 moved on to brackets...I qualified 5th...beat the #4 guy and the top qualifier but lost to the #2 qualifier by less than 10 pins to finish 2nd. Got a little money and went home happy...

King of the Hill...I bowled that one time at Mountaineer. Had about 20 or so people in it...Top 8 moved on to brackets...I qualified 5th...beat the #4 guy and the top qualifier but lost to the #2 qualifier by less than 10 pins to finish 2nd. Got a little money and went home happy...

What did you bowl to qualify?

Our King of the Hills have a 2 game qualifier with Top-8 brackets. If you can't scratch 450 in the first 2 games, you might as well forget it. I once had 466 in qualifying (249-217) and still didn't qualify. Not coincidentally, I seldom ever bowl them anymore.

What did you bowl to qualify?

Our King of the Hills have a 2 game qualifier with Top-8 brackets. If you can't scratch 450 in the first 2 games, you might as well forget it. I once had 466 in qualifying (249-217) and still didn't qualify. Not coincidentally, I seldom ever bowl them anymore.

We bowled three games, I think I had 580-some scratch and handicap was 85%/230...I think my average at the time was around 180 which gave me about 40 or so pins/game. I think my qualifying score was around 700. In the three bracket games, I remember shooting something like 200-ish, 225-ish, and 190-ish in the championship.

Ever been disappointed in a 700???

Tonight, I went 255-221-225 for a 701...opened in the 10th frame of both the 2nd (chopped the 6-10) and 3rd games (6-7 split) riding a 3-bagger each time. Had an open in the first game too...XXXXXX/0XXXX.

Oh what could have been....

Ever been disappointed in a 700???

Tonight, I went 255-221-225 for a 701...opened in the 10th frame of both the 2nd (chopped the 6-10) and 3rd games (6-7 split) riding a 3-bagger each time. Had an open in the first game too...XXXXXX/0XXXX.

Oh what could have been....

After going over my mental notes, I was actually riding a 4-bagger going into the 10th in the 3rd game. I figured my scores if I had struck out in the 2nd and 3rd games...255-259.

255-255-259 would have been a real nice set...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you bowling enthusiasts know i am going out to VA Beach the first weekend in April for my first wheelchair bowling tournament. Very excited about it. Should be alot of fun. Always wondered what it would be like to bowl against my wheeling peers LOL I guess I will soon find out!!!

Just wanted to let you bowling enthusiasts know i am going out to VA Beach the first weekend in April for my first wheelchair bowling tournament. Very excited about it. Should be alot of fun. Always wondered what it would be like to bowl against my wheeling peers LOL I guess I will soon find out!!!

Awesome news! I wish you the very best. Going to be tough competition I'm sure, but your scores seem to be growing higher this year, from what you've posted here.

That's awesome!!! Just have fun and enjoy...don't worry about your score. I always seem to bowl better when I'm not thinking about it...

Thanks guys!! Should be a good time.

Last night in league, I bowled my personal best (234). didnt start out too well. 1st frame, pocket shot 7 10 split, 2nd frame solid 10, missed the 10, then finish 9/ 7/ X X X X X X X 9

It is games like this that keeps you coming back for more LOL

Another good night...236-245-246...727...one open, a pocket 4-9 in the 5th frame of the second game. I had had only two 700s in my life until three weeks ago, now I've had two more in that three week span.

Another good night...236-245-246...727...one open, a pocket 4-9 in the 5th frame of the second game. I had had only two 700s in my life until three weeks ago, now I've had two more in that three week span.

Well done. How close does this put you to a 200 average now?

Not a lot to report for me. I did get to bowl live last Friday night, nothing spectacular given the rust I had to shake off: 190-194-199. I bowl again tonight, because our bar prep classes are over. I'll get to bowl again Friday, then who knows when the next time will be.

Well done. How close does this put you to a 200 average now?

Not a lot to report for me. I did get to bowl live last Friday night, nothing spectacular given the rust I had to shake off: 190-194-199. I bowl again tonight, because our bar prep classes are over. I'll get to bowl again Friday, then who knows when the next time will be.

Should be 200 this week...was upper 198 through 72 games, going +133 over average last night should put me midway between 200-201.

That was a nice consistent set you had.

Should be 200 this week...was upper 198 through 72 games, going +133 over average last night should put me midway between 200-201.

That was a nice consistent set you had.

It's all about maintaining that high mark now. Keep the mojo working!

Many thanks, though. I had another one last night: 201-189-211 for a 601. Strike percentage was poor, but I carried all my single-pin spares and all multi-pin spares except for the 2 splits. Still trying to figure out just how the new Hammer works for me.

Which Hammer did you get?

I've been using two different balls...a Rotogrip Nomad Solid and a Columbia300 Rival. I'll start with the Nomad, playing relatively straight (2nd arrow), chasing the oil line until things get squirrelly (typically late 2nd/early 3rd game). Then, I'll switch to the Rival and move about 8 boards left with my feet and about 4/5 boards left with my target and finish the set.

When I had the 701, I was able to play the straighter line all night...never moved more than 2 boards on either lane. With the 727, I started losing the straighter line early in the 3rd game, made the switch to the Rival and had a 7-bagger before leaving a solid 9-pin on the second ball of the 10th frame.

Which Hammer did you get?

I've been using two different balls...a Rotogrip Nomad Solid and a Columbia300 Rival. I'll start with the Nomad, playing relatively straight (2nd arrow), chasing the oil line until things get squirrelly (typically late 2nd/early 3rd game). Then, I'll switch to the Rival and move about 8 boards left with my feet and about 4/5 boards left with my target and finish the set.

When I had the 701, I was able to play the straighter line all night...never moved more than 2 boards on either lane. With the 727, I started losing the straighter line early in the 3rd game, made the switch to the Rival and had a 7-bagger before leaving a solid 9-pin on the second ball of the 10th frame.

I have the Hammer Jigsaw Corner now. In heavy oil, I can throw it right down the 5-board all night with good success. In lighter oil, I can come back inside and throw outside around the 3-board and get it to come back in. It's really the best of both worlds. My problem now is just trying to keep it in the sweet spot. I've left a lot of 4-pin leaves on heavy breaks and 2-pin leaves on light shots. If I can get the ball close to the pocket and keep it out of dead center, it's at least 9 pins down.

I still roll the Storm Virtual Gravity, but I swear, that ball gets weaker every time I use it. Sanding it helps, but only temporarily. Cooking it works very well for 1 night, but that's it.

When I crank out the high series that I do, it's a good mix of locking in early and adjusting very little throughout the night. That's what I see when you were talking about your 701 and 727. It's what happened in my 748 earlier this season, too.

When I crank out the high series that I do, it's a good mix of locking in early and adjusting very little throughout the night. That's what I see when you were talking about your 701 and 727. It's what happened in my 748 earlier this season, too.

Let's take last night, as a perfect example.

264-212-233 for a 709 series. Not only that, I did it against the high-average bowler (222.2 average) and the high-average team (413 scratch) in the league. I beat their high bowler in the 1st and 3rd games, and my team beat their team scratch in the 2nd and 3rd games and took total. Fun night, especially seeing the look on the high-average dude's face, like "I just can't beat him".

Here's the scoresheet:

Game 1: 8/-9/-7/-X-X-X-X-X-X-SXX8 = 264

Game 2: 9/-X-X-X-S80-90-X-9/-X-XX9 = 212

Game 3: X-9/-X-X-S80-9/-X-X-X-XX9 = 233

A little story to go with this. My teammate isn't able to bowl in the Friday night league anymore, as his job's forcing him to take 2nd shift for 6 months. I brought in a guy from the law school who's a good bowler in his own right (181 average). I didn't know that his line is almost identical to mine: straight up the 5th arrow and in. It's eerie how close the ball tracks were.

The lanes just set up well for me, especially the first game. After an average start, I started following through a bit more on my strike shots, and the ball reaction improved quite a bit. I finally started hitting my mark with consistency, and the shots just fell. In the second game, the shot started to break down (you can probably tell where), and the adjustment I made in the 7th frame was right: just throw it harder. The third game, the shot changed again, and I made the right adjustment to moving my target outside and doing a little inside-out.

The pressure of hitting those 5-in-a-row to save the 700 series was nice, too. I got lucky on 2 of those, 1 going Brooklyn and 1 going high and tripping out the 4 late.

My 5th 700-series, and 2nd of the season, which is a personal best.

NICE! Don't you love bowling against better bowlers! I know I bring my best when I'm up against the really good ones!

That puts you one up on me on the 700s. I've got four...three this season...781, 704, 701, 727...

NICE! Don't you love bowling against better bowlers! I know I bring my best when I'm up against the really good ones!

That puts you one up on me on the 700s. I've got four...three this season...781, 704, 701, 727...

Many thanks! It was a thrill to go up against them. I have chronic "bowl-to-the-level-of-my-competition-itis", which really comes to light in a weaker league. I do quite poorly against the "little old lady" teams, and well against teams of stiffer competition. All mental, I suppose.

My five 700+ series are:

711: March 2009

749: July 2009

737: February 2010

748: November 2010 ;)

709: February 2011

So I'll be due for another one in about October. Maybe I'll match your 3 later this season! ;)

Edited by UVAObserver