Honaker@Powell valley

BLEACHER COACH

I would love to see Honaker win this game, but with it at Big Stone Gap I have to give a slight edge to Powell.

But if Honaker is able to run the ball like we've seen at times this year they could pull it off.

But Powell and their fans will be fired up to give Robbins at least 1 more playoff win.

Powell Valley has played a much tougher schedule. Losses to Richlands, Clintwood, JIB, Gate City and Harlan.

So don't let the records fool you. Powell Valley wins this one by 2-3 TD's.

PV/Honaker should however be the closest game by far in Region D this weekend.

Seems to be a good match-up,thoughts and/or comments

ive seen honaker up and down all yr and if they bring the team thats up then they win it by 2 tds.if not they lose by 3 .all teams matchup diffrent and just depends on how they click in certain situations.im expecting a good game from both teams .

I have only seen these teams play Richlands this year and I don't think Richlands played as good a game against Honaker as they did versus Powell Valley. I am not sure if it was the matchup or just when we met them. PV was later on and we had gotton better. It was one of Richlands better games against PV. I think these teams are very simular but I think Honaker can pass a little better than PV and with this balance they may be able to pull the upset at PV. Close game (Honaker 27 - PV23) Good luck to both teams.

Powell Valley has played a much tougher schedule. Losses to Richlands, Clintwood, JIB, Gate City and Harlan.

So don't let the records fool you. Powell Valley wins this one by 2-3 TD's.

PV/Honaker should however be the closest game by far in Region D this weekend.

i get what your saying about powell valley being better than their record, but honaker played, richlands, clintwood(scrimmage though), and JIB...so they have played some competition...had a few out against burton, not that it would have mattered, but would have been closer...i agree with whoever said that about honaker having a better passing game, that might be the difference in the game...should be a dandy

November 18, 2010

Veteran coaches to meet in playoffs

By ANTHONY STEVENS

for the Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Thu Nov 18, 2010, 05:00 AM EST

HONAKER, Va. — A couple of veteran coaches will square off in the Region D, Division 2 football playoffs on Saturday.

Powell Valley coach Phil Robbins is in the Virginia High School League Hall of Fame with seven state championships to his credit, and will retire after this season.

Robbins began coaching in Powell Valley in 1983, the same year Honaker’s Doug Hubbard returned to his alma mater as head coach.

Robbins and Hubbard are in the 28th year at their respective schools.

The past two years have been tough for Honaker. They are coming off back-to-back 4-6 seasons in which they were left out of the playoffs. This season didn’t start any differently.

After four games, the Tigers had a 1-3 record. The first two losses were too tough squads from Lebanon and Richlands. But the low point of the season came in a last second loss at John Battle.

It was the type of loss that you can fold your tent and call it year, or pick yourself up and work hard to turn your season around. The Tigers did the latter. Honaker went 5-1 in their final six games, with their only loss to a good J.I. Burton team.

They are glad to be back in the playoffs. The Tigers will travel to Bullit Park in Big Stone Gap on Saturday for a 1:30 p.m. kickoff against the Vikings.

It will be déjà vu all over again. Honaker’s last playoff appearance was on Nov. 17 in 2007 at the same location, against the same opponent. The result a 33-28 loss to the Vikings. The Tigers were led by Logan Ball and Justin Hall in that encounter.

The two teams have met several times and have some classic playoff matchups. Perhaps the most remembered game has became known at the “Mud Bowl†at Fuller Field in Honaker on Nov. 22, 2002.

Tyler Ball and D.J. Hall led Honaker to a 12-8 win over the Vikings. The contest was played in a torrential downpour and the field was in terrible condition.

They also squared off in the playoffs on Nov. 18, 2000 with current Pittsburgh Steelers’ tight end Heath Miller playing quarterback for the Tigers. Neil Sample rushed for 189 yards and scored four touchdowns as Honaker defeated Powell Valley 28-6.

All in all, it’s been a pretty even matchup between the Tigers and Vikings and the same can be expected this Saturday.

Honaker (6-4) should stack up well against Powell Valley (5-5).

The Tigers will be led by junior tailback Jared Honaker, who rushed for 1,148 yards during the regular season. They will use two quarterbacks as they have all season. Chaz Miller and Ty Hall will alternate at the position.

It appears to have the making of a good game between two schools that have built a playoff rivalry

Life has many choices---eternity two

i get what your saying about powell valley being better than their record, but honaker played, richlands, clintwood(scrimmage though), and JIB...so they have played some competition...had a few out against burton, not that it would have mattered, but would have been closer...i agree with whoever said that about honaker having a better passing game, that might be the difference in the game...should be a dandy

Does anyone know status on injuries(if any) for both teams?

Thanks for info on injuries. This one is shaping up to be a great game,weather,both teams at full strength,Robbins last season,Honaker missing playoffs last couple of years,teams should match up well.

Edited by BLEACHER COACH

A person close to the team told me that Jared Honaker had been having issues with symptoms from a slight concussion he got from the last game.

It looks like he will play, but if he takes another hard lick to the head he could have more problems.

He seems to be better now and should play but just something to watch for.

A person close to the team told me that Jared Honaker had been having issues with symptoms from a slight concussion he got from the last game.

It looks like he will play, but if he takes another hard lick to the head he could have more problems.

He seems to be better now and should play but just something to watch for.

i think they did a concussion test soon as the game was over and test proved to be good .i dont think his parents would let him play if he was having any problems whatsoever.

My wife and I know the parents. Your right about they wouldn't let him play if he had any problems now, but he did after the game. Wasn't serious or anything, but they were a little concerned.

Like I said, he's ok to play, just something to watch for.

My wife and I know the parents. Your right about they wouldn't let him play if he had any problems now, but he did after the game. Wasn't serious or anything, but they were a little concerned.

Like I said, he's ok to play, just something to watch for.

well just hope and pray things go well for him and all the kids that hit the field.

well just hope and pray things go well for him and all the kids that hit the field.

I think he'll be fine. I was just throwing it out there because I haven't heard anything about it on here all week.

My wife talked to him the other day and he said he was fine now, but he was a little worried right after the game as to weather he would get to play.

But he seems to be doing good now. Told her there was no way he would miss this game.

They need him tonight for sure !

GO TIGERS !!

Seems to be a good match-up,thoughts and/or comments

i think the tigers look pretty good in the games i have seen.must have really stunk it up against j battle.i think they have potential to beat the vikings if they play what they are capable of playin .they look pretty big up front and seem to have a pretty solid d .good luck tigers.

I think the past couple of regular seasons may have tested Powell Valley fans more than they've been accustomed but, in final analysis, they may have been Coach Robbins' best as head coach. He, and the young Vikings players, have kept PV's VHSL playoff streak going (19 in a row & the longest current streak in the state) with much less natural talent and size to put on the field than in the past decades. Powell Valley's teams have shown a lot of courage and faith. They've suffered through a tough schedule & some rough losses - but kept coming back the following weeks to practice and improve. I think one could fairly argue that in both seasons, PV lost maybe the key player from the team early in the campaign, (Pinkston in 2009 and Orr in 2010) but rallied to fill the void. I really think the past two Viking teams have been over-achievers; and that's usually indicative of good coaching.

On paper, I think the Tigers look to be the better team, but the Vikes may still pull out one last playoff win for Coach Robbins. I'm predicting PV 20 & Honkaer 13.