Great day of Football

redtiger

I got to Wise around 11:15, parked on campus. Stepped out of my truck and right onto a bus which took us to the front gate(parking/walking wasnt a problem).

Watched GC absolutely roll Honaker but I have to give credit to Honaker they played hard, GC scored alot of points but they earned every one of them(except Vaughns punt return, that wasnt too hard). the real difference was in the backfield, GC has 2 backs that are playmakers and Honaker had good backs but no where near as god as Vaughn and Clark. 70 for Honaker was a good ballplayer but had heavy feet. Gate City didnt have any real standouts except maybe Vaughn but were solid at every position(as always)

Sat around and waited and waited and waited for the 2nd game to start, when it finally did it was a good one and well worth the wait. Clintwood wasnt sharp and allowed Burton to hang around when they really shouldnt have, but props to JIB for playing hard and never giving up. Trey Meade (QB for Clintwood) hurt his shoulder, I dont know how bad but he never came out of the game. Clintwood has alot of potiental but doesent seem to know how to put the hammer down when they need to.

I heard some Clintwood fans talking about how the Greenwave were good enough to take out GC and give Richlands all they could handle. I sort of laughed to myself, they are way off on both counts. I also saw some of the worst fans ever on Clintwoods side. Some guys behind us were yelling " hurt 'em boys" and " break his neck". I honestly cant understand anyone wanting to see any player get injured. I will say that is not a reflection of Clintwoods fans in general just a few idiots. the Clintwood fans were by far the most spirited of all today. It was also great to hear the bands today, all 3 did well but I have to give props to Honakers their drum line was very good.

And finally the best part of all, the GC horns werent overly used today, and even though I sat pretty close to them werent annoying at all, actually were a nice accent to the game.

All in all a great day of football! Good luck to Richlands, Gate City and Clintwood go and represent the region well!

Edited by redtiger

I got to Wise around 11:15, parked on campus. Stepped out of my truck and right onto a bus which took us to the front gate(parking/walking wasnt a problem).

Watched GC absolutely roll Honaker but I have to give credit to Honaker they played hard, GC scored alot of points but they earned every one of them(except Vaughns punt return, that wasnt too hard). the real difference was in the backfield, GC has 2 backs that are playmakers and Honaker had good backs but no where near as god as Vaughn and Clark. 70 for Honaker was a good ballplayer but had heavy feet. Gate City didnt have any real standouts except maybe Vaughn but were solid at every position(as always)

Sat around and waited and waited and waited for the 2nd game to start, when it finally did it was a good one and well worth the wait. Clintwood wasnt sharp and allowed Burton to hang around when they really shouldnt have, but props to JIB for playing hard and never giving up. Trey Meade (QB for Clintwood) hurt his shoulder, I dont know how bad but he never came out of the game. Clintwood has alot of potiental but doesent seem to know how to put the hammer down when they need to.

I heard some Clintwood fans talking about how the Greenwave were good enough to take out GC and give Richlands all they could handle. I sort of laughed to myself, they are way off on both counts. I also saw some of the worst fans ever on Clintwoods side. Some guys behind us were yelling " hurt 'em boys" and " break his neck". I honestly cant understand anyone wanting to see any player get injured. I will say that is not a reflection of Clintwoods fans in general just a few idiots. the Clintwood fans were by far the most spirited of all today. It was also great to hear the bands today, all 3 did well but I have to give props to Honakers their drum line was very good.

And finally the best part of all, the GC horns werent overly used today, and even though I sat pretty close to them werent annoying at all, actually were a nice accent to the game.

All in all a great day of football! Good luck to Richlands, Gate City and Clintwood go and represent the region well!

Thanks man. You all definitely played us tough through the 2nd quarter. I wish it could have been closer but you all have nothing to hang your heads about, you had a pretty good season from the looks of it. thanks for the support

nice post.lol that horn seemed like it sounded 100 times to me as a honaker fan,even though it was just on the tds .ever time it sounded i felt like walkin up there and rollin it down the hill lol.didnt stay for the second game ,but im like you as far as clintwood hangin with richlands or gate city.they just to strong for anybody on this end of the state .i guess thats why we dropping down to div 1.as far as bad fans ,id say we all have them.i never wish for any kid to get hurt.honaker played physical with them when they could catch them,but u cant hit what u cant catch.

I'd say those clintwood fans saying "break his neck" if they were talking about honaker trying to hurt some of our players are the ones that are still upset that we beat them in 08.haha

...GC gets a bad rap about the cowbells, and horns at times, but i agree it isn't at undue times.

I stayed seated where i was at during the Clintwood/JIB game and all the Clintwood fans were around me. 99% were great and we talked all game long. As i am sure every fan base has there were a few who are vocal and just plain ignorant.(yelling the things you said you heard) I was amused by a lot of the comments i heard. When the Wave jumped out 13-0, the conversation turned to how no one in SWVA could hang with them, and one man said, " i don't know if Richlands could beat us!" i laughed out loud and and said,"That's okay, I DO! Richlands would beat you guys by 40pts" I did notice they had air horns down near the field also, and they had a habit of blowing it just when JIB was ready to snap the ball.(that's worse than most of what i have seen from GC noisemakers) My favorite thing i heard from one Clintwood fan after Burton had taken the 14-13 lead was,"Where do they travel to if they lose this game?" I said, "to Clintwood", he said," good, i was afraid they would have to go upstate somewhere!" Nothing else was said :)

All in all it was a pretty good two games to watch as a Devil fan and Clintwood and GC were the two best teams there, although Clintwood wasn't as impressive as i had been led to believe. They are good, and may well win the state, but they are not the uber team a lot of the fan base believe them to be.

Could we beat Richlands? hell no....

could we hang with GC...I believe so..

and yea we have some fans that aren't that educated in football...don't know the game at all..and we have a few that like to yell and be the rude ones of the bunch, as all teams have them...I talked to a few GC fans yesterday as I was there for both games..and a few guys up from us on the fence was just as rude as i've heard clintwood fans or any other team..and these gc was ashamed of having fans like that...just as us clintwood folks are ashamed of ours...

and yesterdays game was the worst I have seen us play this year....we didn't play with any heart until the end of the game then someone lit a match under our ass..not a full blown fire, but a small flame..

congrats to GC on the win yesterday, it was fun watching at least one team play with heart and the will to play their best football...wished i could go to Radford to watch you guys play but I've gotta hang around dickenson county to see how we do this coming weekend..

Clintwood beatin' the Blue Tornado? Somebody has been drinkin' to much Green Kool-Aid.

I really don't care much for green kool-aid....I prefer Black Cherry...

and richlands would smack us around big time..

Could we beat Richlands? hell no....

could we hang with GC...I believe so..

and yea we have some fans that aren't that educated in football...don't know the game at all..and we have a few that like to yell and be the rude ones of the bunch, as all teams have them...I talked to a few GC fans yesterday as I was there for both games..and a few guys up from us on the fence was just as rude as i've heard clintwood fans or any other team..and these gc was ashamed of having fans like that...just as us clintwood folks are ashamed of ours...

and yesterdays game was the worst I have seen us play this year....we didn't play with any heart until the end of the game then someone lit a match under our ass..not a full blown fire, but a small flame..

congrats to GC on the win yesterday, it was fun watching at least one team play with heart and the will to play their best football...wished i could go to Radford to watch you guys play but I've gotta hang around dickenson county to see how we do this coming weekend..

Oh yeah most definitely could hang with us. you all have proved that in the past.

I really don't care much for green kool-aid....I prefer Black Cherry...

and richlands would smack us around big time..

Well, I gotta a lot of respect for your program ! Year in and year out you guys have a good football team !

As far as bad fans goes, we all have them and are ashamed of them, but to hear anybody wish for a high school kid to get hurt is just beyond being a bad fan !

I'm sure all our fan bases have a couple of them also !

It's sad but true.

When I was a Soph, in Maryland, I was a QB and dropped back to pass and was hit on my blind side in my knee and blew out the cartilage which was worse injury back in the 70's then it is now. I didn't get to have arthroscopic surgery back then.

As I was being carried off the field I can remember being yelled at by the other teams fans and them saying they were glad to see me hurt and a few other things, but I'm sure it was just a few, but it's something that has always stuck in my mind so I always try to show respect to the other teams players !

By the way it was against our rival...lol

For the most part around here, the fans are much more respectful then what I remember up there. But that has been over 30 years ago....lol

By the way, the next year I was moved to MLB on D ! I don't know if it had anything to do with the knee or if it was my rag arm....lol

...GC gets a bad rap about the cowbells, and horns at times, but i agree it isn't at undue times.

I stayed seated where i was at during the Clintwood/JIB game and all the Clintwood fans were around me. 99% were great and we talked all game long. As i am sure every fan base has there were a few who are vocal and just plain ignorant.(yelling the things you said you heard) I was amused by a lot of the comments i heard. When the Wave jumped out 13-0, the conversation turned to how no one in SWVA could hang with them, and one man said, " i don't know if Richlands could beat us!" i laughed out loud and and said,"That's okay, I DO! Richlands would beat you guys by 40pts" I did notice they had air horns down near the field also, and they had a habit of blowing it just when JIB was ready to snap the ball.(that's worse than most of what i have seen from GC noisemakers) My favorite thing i heard from one Clintwood fan after Burton had taken the 14-13 lead was,"Where do they travel to if they lose this game?" I said, "to Clintwood", he said," good, i was afraid they would have to go upstate somewhere!" Nothing else was said :)

All in all it was a pretty good two games to watch as a Devil fan and Clintwood and GC were the two best teams there, although Clintwood wasn't as impressive as i had been led to believe. They are good, and may well win the state, but they are not the uber team a lot of the fan base believe them to be.

Ok, going to try to chime in here as a Clintwood Green Wave fan and put my two cents worth in . #1 Ignorant fans---All towns have them -- Gate City gets the worst rap about the train whistles and cowbells. I've met many great fans from GC ,sat with some Saturday and had a great time. The fans support their team with a great passion ,thats more than could be said for some schools. Clintwood is similiar ,last night when poor comments were made their were good fans that rebuked them. Where these people come from ,I have no idea. #2 Those who commented about Clintwood not being as good as supposed. Well last night was a battle between two teams that have played in the regional championships for the past 4 or 5 years. They know each other up and down. Gate City had not faced Honaker or vice versa in 4 consecative regional championships like Clintwood and Burton. Gate City had an easier opponent than Clintwood ,so it made their team shine in a blow-out. Burton averaged 40 points or more per game,and Burton had defeated Honaker 39 -0 ,earlier this year. Burton was a much tougher opponent, so to beat a 10 and 1 Burton team and to hold them scoreless in the second half was a great effort for the Greenwave. Could they beat Richlands ,probably not. And I don't like to compare GC with Clintwood because I have great respect for Gate City posters here and don't want to stir things and become like Falconman and Southbound in any way. Did Clintwood play their best game last night,maybe not. But are they 12-0 ,yes they are. #3 Where this discussion needs to focus. The focus should be supporting the 3 teams that are still in a hunt for a state title. Richlands needs our support, Gate City needs our support and so does Clintwood. Best wishes to the Blue Tornado! Beat the Brookville Bees! Go big Blue Gate City ,whip the Bobcats ,and go big Green ,defeat the Mustangs of Eastern Montgomery!

Ok, going to try to chime in here as a Clintwood Green Wave fan and put my two cents worth in . #1 Ignorant fans---All towns have them -- Gate City gets the worst rap about the train whistles and cowbells. I've met many great fans from GC ,sat with some Saturday and had a great time. The fans support their team with a great passion ,thats more than could be said for some schools. Clintwood is similiar ,last night when poor comments were made their were good fans that rebuked them. Where these people come from ,I have no idea. #2 Those who commented about Clintwood not being as good as supposed. Well last night was a battle between two teams that have played in the regional championships for the past 4 or 5 years. They know each other up and down. Gate City had not faced Honaker or vice versa in 4 consecative regional championships like Clintwood and Burton. Gate City had an easier opponent than Clintwood ,so it made their team shine in a blow-out. Burton averaged 40 points or more per game,and Burton had defeated Honaker 39 -0 ,earlier this year. Burton was a much tougher opponent, so to beat a 10 and 1 Burton team and to hold them scoreless in the second half was a great effort for the Greenwave. Could they beat Richlands ,probably not. And I don't like to compare GC with Clintwood because I have great respect for Gate City posters here and don't want to stir things and become like Falconman and Southbound in any way. Did Clintwood play their best game last night,maybe not. But are they 12-0 ,yes they are. #3 Where this discussion needs to focus. The focus should be supporting the 3 teams that are still in a hunt for a state title. Richlands needs our support, Gate City needs our support and so does Clintwood. Best wishes to the Blue Tornado! Beat the Brookville Bees! Go big Blue Gate City ,whip the Bobcats ,and go big Green ,defeat the Mustangs of Eastern Montgomery!

Well said.

You guys played very good. Burton wanted to get even with you guys for thumping them in the regular season. Hell i dont think anyone can hang with Richlands in SWVA. Gate City tried but got wore out in the second half. And i think it would be a great close game between GC and Cilntwood. Good luck to you guys next week. Hope that both teams get to Salem and repesent this area well

Whoever said all teams have those fans that you are embarrased by is correct. It seems every town has a few dipsticks which make thier fans all look bad. To cheer for someone to get injured is just plain childish. That said Go Green Wave, Go Blue Devils and Go Blue Tornado--bring back some titles! As a Richlands fan I wish we would get a Tornado siren to blow when we come out on field and score. Anything that gets our fans and players fired up as long its in good taste is OK. I have no problem with the Gate City Horn.

I didn't mean to sound as if i wasn't supporting Clintwood, and yes i realize you were facing a good team you have wars with every single time you play. My point was really about most areas have "those" fans. I was not referring to whom you played, etc.. i do think it is hard to compare scores, but i was adamnant that Richlands is the best team in SWVA. I think we could play them better right now, but doubt we could beat them either. trust me as a GC fan i know very well how hard it is to beat a team 2 times in one year. Obviously GC rolled easily and Clintwood may have played their worst game of the year. I would be a little worried as a wave fan, seemed to me they ran only about 5 different plays all night. Of course GC ran 55 from 9 different formations, so whatever that does for you...may make the Bobcats prepare for many formations :)

Good luck to all in the semis, would love to see all 3 return with titles.

One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time. There are only 3 teams from the area left, and theres no doubt that those three are great teams. I, personally, wish Gate City and Clintwood the best of luck Saturday. Would be great to see 3 of the 6 state champions come from "this side of Roanoke". Maybe it would open some eyes out East.

As a Richlands fan I wish we would get a Tornado siren to blow when we come out on field and score.

The week of the Blues/Martinsville game there was a tornado siren that blew as the team came out on the field for warmups. Also, it blew again when they came back out for the start of the game.

I really enjoyed it and was telling relatives about it, who came in for the CS game. Alas, no siren---maybe the Grinch stole it, or the nearby neighbors complained, not sure. lol

Life has many choices---eternity two

The week of the Blues/Martinsville game there was a tornado siren that blew as the team came out on the field for warmups. Also, it blew again when they came back out for the start of the game.

I really enjoyed it and was telling relatives about it, who came in for the CS game. Alas, no siren---maybe the Grinch stole it, or the nearby neighbors complained, not sure. lol

Life has many choices---eternity two

They have been hit and miss with the Siren for the past few weeks. Didnt start doing it till late in the season. I personally think its great. I would love to see them install a siren in the scoreboard, much like the old one had, and play it for the start of the game, scores, and most importantly, big key moments in the game to pump the place up. Much like the Gobble at Tech games.

They have been hit and miss with the Siren for the past few weeks. Didnt start doing it till late in the season. I personally think its great. I would love to see them install a siren in the scoreboard, much like the old one had, and play it for the start of the game, scores, and most importantly, big key moments in the game to pump the place up. Much like the Gobble at Tech games.

Would love to see a siren installed at Ernie . That would be great and add to the atmosphere !

Good luck to all 3 teams left in the playoffs !

I would love nothing better then to see all 3 come home with championships ! Would show the rest of the state just how good our football is here in SWVA ! Show em that we can do more then mine coal !!