Why does it seem impossible to get Richlands and Bluefield to play?

Lance

Why does it seem impossible to get Richlands and Bluefield to play? What is the hold up here? Bluefield seems to be ready and willing to put them on the schedule, I've seen interviews where they said they would do it...so what is the hold up here?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I feel that i can let everyone in on what happend this past season with the whole Richlands is playing bluefield and then there not mess that happend a few weeks ago. Honaker and Richlands contract was up after this year Richlands sent the contract to honaker to be signed to renew the series honaker told them they would not resign that came from the AD down there so Richlands started looking for 3 teams rather than 2 to put on the schedule. Richlands gave Bluefield a call and was going to set up a 4 year deal everything was done except signing it when Honaker called back and said that a ceartain person was going to force them to play Richlands and they signed it and sent it back at that point the Blues schedule was filled and did not have a place for the Beavers as soon as we get a opening again there was a agreement that they would go back to the contract they had and just use that its not going to happen for 2 more years but it is going to happen.

Ok I feel that i can let everyone in on what happend this past season with the whole Richlands is playing bluefield and then there not mess that happend a few weeks ago. Honaker and Richlands contract was up after this year Richlands sent the contract to honaker to be signed to renew the series honaker told them they would not resign that came from the AD down there so Richlands started looking for 3 teams rather than 2 to put on the schedule. Richlands gave Bluefield a call and was going to set up a 4 year deal everything was done except signing it when Honaker called back and said that a ceartain person was going to force them to play Richlands and they signed it and sent it back at that point the Blues schedule was filled and did not have a place for the Beavers as soon as we get a opening again there was a agreement that they would go back to the contract they had and just use that its not going to happen for 2 more years but it is going to happen.

beep beep beep...that is my BS detector going off. Who forced the deal with Pulaski County or Patrick County that were signed this year... the same guy? Richlands had open dates at that point and so did the Beavers and yet they opted to sign other teams instead and drive right by Bluefield to get to them! Face it...if looks to everyone except the Blue faithful that are drunk on Mance's Kool Aid that they just don't want any part of the Beavers. That is why the first time they run into a team with outstanding team speed in the playoffs they are toast. Wake up and smell the coffee.

beep beep beep...that is my BS detector going off. Who forced the deal with Pulaski County or Patrick County that were signed this year... the same guy? Richlands had open dates at that point and so did the Beavers and yet they opted to sign other teams instead and drive right by Bluefield to get to them! Face it...if looks to everyone except the Blue faithful that are drunk on Mance's Kool Aid that they just don't want any part of the Beavers. That is why the first time they run into a team with outstanding team speed in the playoffs they are toast. Wake up and smell the coffee.

What you are not getting is they had 3 open dates the Patrick County and Pulaski thing was already done when honaker called and said we are back on. You can thank bowerbank for the blues not playing the beavers this year because that is who forced the tigers to come back onto the schedule.

What you are not getting is they had 3 open dates the Patrick County and Pulaski thing was already done when honaker called and said we are back on. You can thank bowerbank for the blues not playing the beavers this year because that is who forced the tigers to come back onto the schedule.

What you are not getting is this....they could have and should have signed Bluefield as one of those three open dates BEFORE even thinking of anybody else.

What you are not getting is this....they could have and should have signed Bluefield as one of those three open dates BEFORE even thinking of anybody else.

Could have? Should have? Who are you to decide these things? I don't understand why everyone gets bent out of shape about Richlands schedule. If I were a fan of some of the teams in the area, I would be more concerned with who they were playing and beating, or getting beat by.

You need to drink some of your own coffee. If the "speed" statement is in reference to the loss yesterday, you are completely off base. Richlands got beat by Smash Mouth Football, not speed. I had a bad feeling before the game, repeat of Turner Ashby. Ability to run the ball, good defense, little to no turnovers. Poquoson had a great team and kudos to the Islanders.

Here's my question....

Why does this seem to matter so much to fans of schools other than Bluefield and Richlands?

because it would be a great match up? both schools are close to each other and have outstanding programs year in and year out? If not for a few feet they would be in the same county ya know? It's the same reason we would like to see Gate City and Richlands play...I know I've left the Grundy game at half time before to watch Richlands and Gate City in the 2nd half. When you have two teams that are expected to be in the hunt for a State Championship every year that are that close together, the fans of football in this area, not just the fans of the schools involved, are going to want to see what happens when you put them on the same field and let them go at it.

because it would be a great match up? both schools are close to each other and have outstanding programs year in and year out? If not for a few feet they would be in the same county ya know? It's the same reason we would like to see Gate City and Richlands play...I know I've left the Grundy game at half time before to watch Richlands and Gate City in the 2nd half. When you have two teams that are expected to be in the hunt for a State Championship every year that are that close together, the fans of football in this area, not just the fans of the schools involved, are going to want to see what happens when you put them on the same field and let them go at it.

That's fine, and I appreciate the direct response.

The reason it seems impossible is that it's complicated by several factors. And those factors have been covered ad nauseam on this message board.

So to follow up.... when the original question is answered over (and over and over) again, why do fans outside of those two schools continue to harp on it?

My opinion why the fans from the other schools want to see the game happen is because lets face it our record against the beavers is uhhh not exactly the greatest and they see that as a way to stop the blues from being unbeaten every single year the old saying if you cant beat them find someone who can hahaha. Just kidding guys i myself would love to see it happen 2 great programs never really understood why bluefield has not always been a staple on our schedule.

The reason it seems impossible is that it's complicated by several factors. And those factors have been covered ad nauseam on this message board.

Actually, it isn't complicated at all.

Richlands does not want to risk a loss to Bluefield which would likely affect their seeding in the post-season playoffs. A loss to Bluefield would more or less eliminate Richlands from being the #1 seed, considering the overall weakness (point-wise) of their schedule. They already play several Class A schools and automatically "lose ground" to the schools who play an entirely AA (or higher) schedule. A win by Richlands over a Class A school or weak Class AA school is worth more points to them than a loss to a strong Class AA school, and yes, Bluefield is considered a AA school under the VHSL point rating system.

Like it or not, that's the fact...Coach Mance isn't stupid...

I particularly appreciate the fact that Richlands is being offered advice on scheduling and long-term football success by a supporter of a school that won one (1) game this season and another fan from a school that has never made it past the state semifinal game.

But then again, I've personally always been a big fan of irony.

The loss to Bluefield did not seem the hinder the Gate City Blue Devils any enroute to a State Championship this year. Playing strong, well coached teams in the regular season tends to exposes any weakness you may have in time to correct them before it really matters in the post season. Smart coaches know that.

The loss to Bluefield did not seem the hinder the Gate City Blue Devils any enroute to a State Championship this year. Playing strong, well coached teams in the regular season tends to exposes any weakness you may have in time to correct them before it really matters in the post season. Smart coaches know that.

100% true.

Richlands absolutely amazes me!!!!! Arrogance Arrogance. And after raping all the local teams of players, and they still get beat----It was the refs fault.. LOL. I love it. And on top of that, they dodge the REAL powerhouse of the area!!!! LOL

I particularly appreciate the fact that Richlands is being offered advice on scheduling and long-term football success by a supporter of a school that won one (1) game this season and another fan from a school that has never made it past the state semifinal game.

Doesn't mean that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Graham went for decades and never scheduled an A-team. They only played 1 this year, IIRC, and damn near had enough points to make it at 1-9...

Richlands absolutely amazes me!!!!! Arrogance Arrogance. And after raping all the local teams of players, and they still get beat----It was the refs fault.. LOL. I love it. And on top of that, they dodge the REAL powerhouse of the area!!!! LOL

I understand that was also the excuse used by bluefield (refs) for losing in the semis.

hey, I like Richlands...I can't help it if you don't like what I'm saying...I'm just being honest. How far Grundy goes in the playoffs has nothing to do with it really...I've had complaints about the schedule they play at times over the years as well and have said so here in the past.

I think what has been said about Richlands schedule and playing some better teams is a fair argument that can be made...you guys are just on a better level than most teams around here and beating up on the usual victims other than what you have to play in the SWD doesn't really help you that much other than giving the young guys more experience...Bluefield is a team that has a good program that could give you a good game most years...so, thats all that is being said....if both teams are worried about the refs, then bring in some that dont care either way from a neighboring district or something...that way you should both get a fair shake.

Just because I'm from Grundy and we are talking about Richlands doesn't make it any less valid point. I owned a business in Richlands for years and have a lot of friends from there and I usually try to go to see Richlands play when I can't go to see Grundy. If I didn't have to watch my kids I would have been there yesterday. So you can stop taking cheap shots at Grundy because they really dont have anything to do with you not winning state.

hey, I like Richlands...I can't help it if you don't like what I'm saying...I'm just being honest. How far Grundy goes in the playoffs has nothing to do with it really...I've had complaints about the schedule they play at times over the years as well and have said so here in the past.

I think what has been said about Richlands schedule and playing some better teams is a fair argument that can be made...you guys are just on a better level than most teams around here and beating up on the usual victims other than what you have to play in the SWD doesn't really help you that much other than giving the young guys more experience...Bluefield is a team that has a good program that could give you a good game most years...so, thats all that is being said....if both teams are worried about the refs, then bring in some that dont care either way from a neighboring district or something...that way you should both get a fair shake.

Just because I'm from Grundy and we are talking about Richlands doesn't make it any less valid point. I owned a business in Richlands for years and have a lot of friends from there and I usually try to go to see Richlands play when I can't go to see Grundy. If I didn't have to watch my kids I would have been there yesterday. So you can stop taking cheap shots at Grundy because they really dont have anything to do with you not winning state.

Lance, I actually have a lot of respect for you and G-Man but you're almost becoming parodies of yourselves with this Bluefield-Richlands thing.

We've been through it several times and the bottom line is that the matchup just isn't going to happen any time soon. Yet you (and others) simply can't let it go. In fact, you bring it up on the heels of an event to which it has no context whatsoever. And then you have the nerve to lecture me about "cheap shots?"

Mr. Pot, I would humbly suggest that you acknowledge the presence of Mr. Kettle.

Lance, I actually have a lot of respect for you and G-Man but you're almost becoming parodies of yourselves with this Bluefield-Richlands thing.

We've been through it several times and the bottom line is that the matchup just isn't going to happen any time soon. Yet you (and others) simply can't let it go. In fact, you bring it up on the heels of an event to which it has no context whatsoever. And then you have the nerve to lecture me about "cheap shots?"

Mr. Pot, I would humbly suggest that you acknowledge the presence of Mr. Kettle.

no context? lol. get out of here...if you don't understand how it relates to not winning state then let someone else answer the questions.

this is about the first time I've even brought up Bluefield and Richlands playing...I was just curious why it can't seem to get done....didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

all in all it just sounds like you are upset over the state game, which is understandable.

Doesn't mean that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Graham went for decades and never scheduled an A-team. They only played 1 this year, IIRC, and damn near had enough points to make it at 1-9...

I'm going to paraphrase Lance here. Graham is Graham and Richlands is Richlands.

A lot of the scheduling issues boil down to simple geography. With its proximity to an interstate highway as well as relatively easy jaunts down 460 to places like Blacksburg, Graham can put together a non-district schedule devoid of Single A schools with relative ease.

Richlands is a full 35 minutes southwest of Graham. That's an immediate disadvantage in terms of scheduling teams outside of Single A. Partially in response to criticism (my own conjecture), the Blues have added Pulaski and Patrick County.

FWIW, I've always admired Graham's non-district schedule as well as the fact that they G-Men have "played up" in classification for years. And I'd love to see my high school alma mater play a broader geographic selection of teams. (Which Richlands did many years ago -- in the trophy case at Harrisonburg High School is a football from a matchup with RHS back in the late '60s for some reason.)

But this constant (and completely ridiculous) "schedule" argument used to detract from the accomplishments of Richlands is beyond old.