Why does it seem impossible to get Richlands and Bluefield to play?

Lance

But this constant (and completely ridiculous) "schedule" argument used to detract from the accomplishments of Richlands is beyond old.

thats not the case at all...you are not getting it...for one, the very things you just stated should be exactly why Richlands should be playing Bluefield.

as for the "detract" part...no one is doing that at all...people are just saying it might help to schedule some better teams for the non district games. That way at the end of the year your starters are use to playing full games and you play a little better against the better teams you face in the playoffs....that's not saying anything bad about Richlands at all.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have? Should have? Who are you to decide these things? I don't understand why everyone gets bent out of shape about Richlands schedule. If I were a fan of some of the teams in the area, I would be more concerned with who they were playing and beating, or getting beat by.

You should worry about the schedule, and games like yesterday could have been a different story...

I'm going to paraphrase Lance here. Graham is Graham and Richlands is Richlands.

A lot of the scheduling issues boil down to simple geography. With its proximity to an interstate highway as well as relatively easy jaunts down 460 to places like Blacksburg, Graham can put together a non-district schedule devoid of Single A schools with relative ease.

Richlands is a full 35 minutes southwest of Graham. That's an immediate disadvantage in terms of scheduling teams outside of Single A. Partially in response to criticism (my own conjecture), the Blues have added Pulaski and Patrick County.

FWIW, I've always admired Graham's non-district schedule as well as the fact that they G-Men have "played up" in classification for years. And I'd love to see my high school alma mater play a broader geographic selection of teams. (Which Richlands did many years ago -- in the trophy case at Harrisonburg High School is a football from a matchup with RHS back in the late '60s for some reason.)

But this constant (and completely ridiculous) "schedule" argument used to detract from the accomplishments of Richlands is beyond old.

You make it sound as if Richlands is two hours from everywhere. You said it yourself: it's 35 minutes away from Bluefield. For years, Graham went pretty deep down into Tennessee to find teams, and those teams are geographically closer to Richlands. Being closer to Kentucky, I don't think it's a stretch for Richlands to try their hands against some higher-ranked teams from eastern KY. Adding Pulaski County is a good start, but Blacksburg and Christiansburg are just 20 minutes away from there. That's farther away than Patrick County is.

I'm not saying to go searching far and wide to find opponents, that's not entirely feasible. Nor am I saying to drop all the A-opponents, Gate City is an example of why not to do this. All I'm saying is that Richlands is closer to quality competition than a lot of people down there want to believe. It's just a matter of putting an extra 50 miles on the bus...

You make it sound as if Richlands is two hours from everywhere. You said it yourself: it's 35 minutes away from Bluefield. For years, Graham went pretty deep down into Tennessee to find teams, and those teams are geographically closer to Richlands. Being closer to Kentucky, I don't think it's a stretch for Richlands to try their hands against some higher-ranked teams from eastern KY. Adding Pulaski County is a good start, but Blacksburg and Christiansburg are just 20 minutes away from there. That's farther away than Patrick County is.

I'm not saying to go searching far and wide to find opponents, that's not entirely feasible. Nor am I saying to drop all the A-opponents, Gate City is an example of why not to do this. All I'm saying is that Richlands is closer to quality competition than a lot of people down there want to believe. It's just a matter of putting an extra 50 miles on the bus...

Neither Blacksburg nor Christiansburg will play us. Period. And it's not because they're "dodging" us. It's simply not worth it for them to add us to their non-district slate. By the same argument, wouldn't Christiansburg "benefit" from playing Richlands? Why isn't anyone clamoring for that matchup?

Bottom line is that our administration seems happy with the schedule we're playing. And given our success on the gridiron, the "benefit" argument just seems like a red herring. The loudest squawking seems to be coming from people who don't really have a dog in the fight. And it's just beyond tiresome.

I'll respond directly to Lance here in just a second and that may shed more light on my POV here.

Apologies to you and anyone else I may have offended with my snippitude here.

Grundy beats the better KY teams year in and year out, even when we are way down...so I doubt they will find much in KY to challenge them...Grundy had Paintsville come in one year at 5-0 with 2 RB's that were avg 250 yards per game each and beat them by 50 points...lol. KY is a basketball state...at least in the south eastern part. You may have a good team here and there who has an up year, but there are not any that you could depend on giving you much of a game year in and year out I don't think.

I also think C-Burg and Richlands would be a big gate for both schools...those guys out there know exactly who Richlands is and it would be a huge game for both schools...I would expect it to be packed.

no context? lol. get out of here...if you don't understand how it relates to not winning state then let someone else answer the questions.

this is about the first time I've even brought up Bluefield and Richlands playing...I was just curious why it can't seem to get done....didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

all in all it just sounds like you are upset over the state game, which is understandable.

I'm gonna confess that I am still pretty raw about the state championship outcome, and I'm positive that it is affecting the way I'm interacting on this board. I'll also admit that, by nature, I'm a pretty contentious b-----d to begin with.

Both facts are my issues. No need to impress them upon others.

Richlands was defeated in a closely fought game by a better opponent yesterday. I'm convinced that changing any variables in the equation would have still resulted in the same outcome.

I respect your right to your opinion (and that of others). I just don't see things the same way. In addition to agreeing to disagree, I'll do everyone (mainly myself) a favor and respectfully retire from this debate.

I would like to see Richlands play Bluefield just as a fan of football. I would also like to see the Blues roll into CAM stadium at Belfry KY. The CAM is the nicest high school facility in the entire area, sorry Richlands. Belfry is smash mouth football at it's best and they don't mind to travel.

Riverview, East Ridge(if they can keep the same coach more than 2 years),Shelby Valley wouldn't be bad match-ups down the road and they are all AA schools.

I think Riverview is still a couple of years away from being a solid pick...East Ridge is no where near the level of play Richlands is...they still can't figure out how to beat Grundy? and Shelby Valley is good for KY but they have their hands full with Grundy as well...until I see a KY team that can come in and whip Grundy by 50 points year in and year out for about 6 years worth of games, I don't think there is much for any of them to offer Richlands....Belfry is the best of the bunch you mentioned and about the only one that might be worth watching for a half, by the end of the game Richlands would still beat them by 30+ so no point in putting them on the schedule either.

There are some TN schools that would be good....Greeneville and TN High usually have good programs as well as a few others...wouldn't be that far to travel. Charlotte Day is a powerhouse...I'm not sure Richlands would beat them at home or on the road...would be an interesting game...C-Burg would be nice, and Salem...they both usually have strong teams...these would be the type of teams I think people like myself who don't go to Richlands games much would be interested in watching the Blues play.

It's a lot to ask a team to play a schedule like we are talking about...even if you can work out the dates it's a big task...but, these other teams on the other side of the state are playing better teams during the year and I think that gives them an advantage...Graham always played good teams and they didn't always win and have a good record, but by the end of the year they were hard to beat because of it and did well in the playoffs...yeah, no state to show for it, but these were not teams that were really going to be expected to win state either...they just got better each week and made a run at it.

just curious, how many students does Poquoson have now? Anyone know?

Had a friend who graduated from Poquoson in 2002, and his graduating class was 233.

thats about like Grundy in the 80's...but that was 8 years ago your friend escaped...lol...wonder what they are now?

I think Riverview is still a couple of years away from being a solid pick...East Ridge is no where near the level of play Richlands is...they still can't figure out how to beat Grundy? and Shelby Valley is good for KY but they have their hands full with Grundy as well...until I see a KY team that can come in and whip Grundy by 50 points year in and year out for about 6 years worth of games, I don't think there is much for any of them to offer Richlands....Belfry is the best of the bunch you mentioned and about the only one that might be worth watching for a half, by the end of the game Richlands would still beat them by 30+ so no point in putting them on the schedule either.

There are some TN schools that would be good....Greeneville and TN High usually have good programs as well as a few others...wouldn't be that far to travel. Charlotte Day is a powerhouse...I'm not sure Richlands would beat them at home or on the road...would be an interesting game...C-Burg would be nice, and Salem...they both usually have strong teams...these would be the type of teams I think people like myself who don't go to Richlands games much would be interested in watching the Blues play.

It's a lot to ask a team to play a schedule like we are talking about...even if you can work out the dates it's a big task...but, these other teams on the other side of the state are playing better teams during the year and I think that gives them an advantage...Graham always played good teams and they didn't always win and have a good record, but by the end of the year they were hard to beat because of it and did well in the playoffs...yeah, no state to show for it, but these were not teams that were really going to be expected to win state either...they just got better each week and made a run at it.

just curious, how many students does Poquoson have now? Anyone know?

Just throwing out some AA schools to replace A schools. East Ridge is a school I can't figure out because they have almost the same enrollment as Richlands. Belfry is tough don't be fooled by them being a KY school. Belfry faces the spread a lot more than you think and they know how to defense the spread. Coach Haywood is a "legend" and know how to coach.

I know travel time is an issue but their are quite a few schools around TN,KY, and WV to play that have some decent programs. I don't think Richlands had anything for Greeneville this year but who know in a few years.

You see the article on Todd Newberry coaching at Greenville middle to teach them the spread.

Just throwing out some AA schools to replace A schools. East Ridge is a school I can't figure out because they have almost the same enrollment as Richlands. Belfry is tough don't be fooled by them being a KY school. Belfry faces the spread a lot more than you think and they know how to defense the spread. Coach Haywood is a "legend" and know how to coach.

I know travel time is an issue but their are quite a few schools around TN,KY, and WV to play that have some decent programs. I don't think Richlands had anything for Greeneville this year but who know in a few years.

You see the article on Todd Newberry coaching at Greenville middle to teach them the spread.

no didnt see the article...Todd is a life long friend of mine though.

I am very aware of Belfry...been there, have friends from there...known about them for years...good program but I dont think they could have within 30 of Richlands...might be wrong. The others are just not in the same league at all though, and they would be better off playing Lebanon....the point would be to increase the talent you are playing against, not to just play a AA instead of an A school.

Richlands would smash Riverview so bad. I think Richlands would smash any school in WV AA by a lot. I think Richlands would beat Magnolia by 35. Anyway I think George Washington and Richlands would be an interesting matchup. GW is willing to travel as well.

I doubt Richlands would "Smash" Bluefield.

I guess we'll never know. I guess I shouldve put with the exception of Bluefield. However I think Richlands would win that game fairly easily.

I don't.

I think this year it would be a track meet, and a very close back and forth game, and probably high scoring. It's a shame these two won't be playing each other. I would love to have seen it.

The refs would determine the winner...tongue in cheek for those of you with no sense of humor.

I think this year it would be a track meet, and a very close back and forth game, and probably high scoring. It's a shame these two won't be playing each other. I would love to have seen it.

The refs would determine the winner...tongue in cheek for those of you with no sense of humor.

I think Richlands would win this year in a close one...something like 35-28 or so....would have been a good game I think. I only saw Bluefield on film this year, but I think they would match up pretty evenly with Cave Spring or that sort of team.

................. I think Richlands would smash any school in WV AA by a lot..................

Administrators, we have crossed into the realm of insanity. Don't you gentlemen need to start clamping down on this.