Grundy Scoring

L. Boyd - 4

C. Church - 8

Hutchinson - 2

C. Justus - 22

T. Lester - 13

D. O'Quinn - 4

B. Rife - 7

The Falcons have such depth to their bench and when rotating the players it doesn't change the pace, rebounding or scoring ability of the team. They are keeping fresh bodies on the court at all times. They are getting two or three attempts at the basket on most every play. I think teams without a well conditioned, deep and experienced bench are going to have problems when facing the Falcons.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I think teams without a well conditioned, deep and experienced bench are going to have problems when facing the Falcons.

I really hope Abingdon gets to face Christiansburg in regional play so you can get a taste of what a real AA Division 4 team is like. After that game reality might set in that for AA basketball the Falcons are not very good.

I really hope Abingdon gets to face Christiansburg in regional play so you can get a taste of what a real AA Division 4 team is like. After that game reality might set in that for AA basketball the Falcons are not very good.

yeah, beating Grundy this year is not anything to crow about...they are missing some key players...no Kelly in the middle is hurting them.

I was really talking about the SWD opponents--I know that when and if they move on to regional's, it will be much tougher teams the Falcons will be facing.

I only give the updates and stats of the Abingdon games, not as a Falcon supporter per say, but as a sports fan.

As most can see, I try and post articles and stats on all the schools. I am first and foremost a Richlands Blue Tornado supporter and cheer for them, but I will support other schools and their sports when the Blues aren't playing them.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Edited by tbgfan

I've seen Christiansburg play last year and maybe they are much improved this year, but they did not look impressive last year. They did not have very pg or a shooter. They had some good athletes and Dobbins helped that team.

As for Abingdon, they need to win the big games when they have that chance. Abingdon is very deep this year and they have a really good team. They are still growing with 2 sophomores 1 freshman who play a key roll to the team who are still growing on the varsity level and a senior who has not played on a varsity level and hasn't not played organized basketball for a few years. Abingdon got spanked like a baby against Gate City and that was the worst game I've seen Abingdon play in six years. Abingdon has not helped themselves by losing the big games when they should win. However, you can not say they are a over hyped team because you are single minded and blind to anything sports because they have the talent.

Also, nobody was bragging about beating Grundy.

As for Abingdon, they need to win the big games when they have that chance. Abingdon is very deep this year and they have a really good team.

This is exactly the problem with Abingdon and their fans. Abingdon has a 1000 students. Abingdon is a AA D4 school and they still consider Gate City to be a "big" game. If you lose to a single A (not even ranked in the top 10 in VA) by 30 points then you don't have a good team. When you play the Patrick Henry's, John Battle's, and VA High's of the world you're going to think you're good. How about playing some teams within your own division like a Christiansburg, Blacksburg, or Pulaski and see if you're able to compete. At least play some tougher single A schools like Radford instead of beating up on schools half your size.

Well being in SWVA you get what’s around you. 1000 students does not mean that Abingdon has athletes walking up and down the hallways, and if you have not noticed SWVA is lacking some of them in the area (not unless you attend Richlands). I would like to see Abingdon play bigger competition. However, it's hard to shutout completely playing old rivals in your county (john battle and Patrick Henry). They have already trimmed the games down to only one instead of home and away. Also, Washington County had to fire employees and some schools are sharing vice principals, so to travel that often to Blacksburg or Christiansburg to play would be harder plus their schedule has to be open too.

Abingdon last year went to Florida and played some pretty stiff competitions teams and played well against them. Abingdon had Pulaski on their schedule last year but snow and lack of time did not allow that game to happen. Gate City is a premier basketball program in the area for a few years now, so to say they are not a good team would be false. Abingdon also plays Sullivan East who I am pretty sure went to Tenn State quarters last year? I could be wrong. They play them again this year, but one of their best players in school history tore his ACL. So what I am trying to say is Abingdon plays whoever they can play and will test themselves, so stop being bitter. I have no argument for why Abingdon loses high profile games when given a chance. Nobody is bragging about Abingdon being top dogs they are just playing basketball.