Devon Johnson

rhsfan88

Devon Johnson has given a verbal commitment to Marshall University according to the Facebook page of one Richlands player. Congrats to him on having the chance to play football at the next level but most importantly continue his education at Marshall!

Congrats Devon can not wait to see what happens in your final year with the Blues.

(WVVA) Richlands (VA) runningback Devon Johnson says he wants to be apart of the Herd.

The star runningback for the Blue Tornado has verbally comitted to play football at Marshall.

Johnson made the verbal commitment Monday night.

Number-44 just completed his junior football season at Richlands, so he still has another year with the Blue Tornado.

Johnson ran for over 14-hundred yards in the 2010 season, scoring 22 touchdowns for the 13-and-1 state runner-up Richlands squad.

He was especially good late, running for over 100 yards in seven of his last eight games.

Johnson also had an offer from the University of Virginia.

Is Marshall looking at him as a RB or a LB? That hay have been the difference in his decision, sorta like Bradshaw, if im correct he went to Marshall in part because he wanted to play RB and not DB.

I really think he could put up some huge numbers in an offense that was more focused around him(not saying Richlands should do that)

Is Marshall looking at him as a RB or a LB? That hay have been the difference in his decision, sorta like Bradshaw, if im correct he went to Marshall in part because he wanted to play RB and not DB.

I really think he could put up some huge numbers in an offense that was more focused around him(not saying Richlands should do that)

No, that's not the reason he went to Marshall. No use going over that road again, so I'll leave it at that.

Johnson is going to Marshall to play LB.

Rumor has it that Devon's brother, Austin, is going to be on the Herd roster in Fall 2011 as a walk-on with an opportunity to earn a scholarship in the future. Couple that with the fact that he is really close to Doc Holliday and Coach Ratliff, his lead recruiter, and that might be the reason.

Regardless of the situation, Marshall fans are VERY excited about the pick up. Rumblings say that he might be a 4* prospect by the time the 2012 class is evaluated.

That's what disheartens me as a UVA fan.

I honestly thought he was UVA's to lose, but I'm not complaining! :D

I wouldn't bet any money against Doc Holliday and some of his pieces on the coaching staff. He's put together what very well could be a Top 50 2011 recruiting class when its all said and done next week. And as proven with Johnson, he's already in and off on a great foot for 2012.

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x44359810/Committed

January 27, 2011

Committed

Johnson to play for Marshall

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Thu Jan 27, 2011, 05:00 AM EST

RICHLANDS, Va. — National Signing Day for Devon Johnson is officially on Feb. 3 of ... 2012.

Less than a week before college football’s biggest day of the offseason for 2011, Johnson has already made his decision on a future college home.

Johnson decided early this week to continue playing football and his education at Marshall University, allowing the talented junior to focus on his senior year at Richlands.

“I just wanted to go ahead and commit and then just not worry about committing next year,†Johnson said, “I just want to worry about my track and my grades and my football season and get it over with.â€

Johnson, in his second season at Richlands, had a standout junior campaign, leading the Blue Tornado to a 13-1 record, along with an appearance in the Division 3 state championship game.

While Richlands’ roster was full of standouts, it was the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Johnson that attracted much of the attention, whether on offense or defense. No one noticed his contributions more than Blue Tornado football coach Greg Mance.

“As far as know it is the earliest Richlands has ever had a commitment to sign a Division I scholarship before he even got to spring of his junior year,†Mance said. “Devon is just an outstanding football player.

“The good Lord has blessed him in so many ways. He is 6-2, he runs a 4.5 40 and he is as strong as an ox. At Marshall I don’t know where they are going to play him, he can play inside linebacker, he can play running back both.â€

That would be fine with Johnson, who wouldn’t mind playing both for the Thundering Herd.

“I’m going to try running back and linebacker,†said Johnson, who admitted to being recruited as a linebacker. “Hopefully they’ll let me play both sides, that would be fun.â€

He might be able to do it. Johnson ran for 1,436 yards and 22 touchdowns this season, reaching the 100-yard mark in seven of the Blues’ final eight games. He also was a monster on defense, recording three tackles for loss and two sacks in the first half alone in the state title game loss to Poquoson.

“He is the package they are looking for,†Mance said. “He’s got size, speed, and another eight months in the weight room, I am excited to see what he is going to look like this summer.â€

Mance isn’t shy in his assessment of Johnson, who joined two brothers and a cousin in transferring to Richlands prior to last season from Big Creek.

“He can be one of the best to ever play around here,†Mance said. “He could be in the class of Ahmad Bradshaw, Thomas and Julius Jones, people could be talking about Devon Johnson like they do those guys.

“He has just got the God-given ability, he’s got the talent to play on Sunday. I just hope he continues to stay healthy, works hard in the weight room and he’s got as bright future ahead of him.â€

Johnson, who got looks from numerous schools, including the University of Virginia, is excited to be part of a tradition that includes former Graham star Ahmad Bradshaw, who — like Johnson now — wore No. 44 for the Herd, and now with the New York Giants.

“I was just wanting to get it over with, I knew I was going to go to Marshall,†said Johnson, who hopes his senior brother, Austin, will also attend Marshall as a recruited walk-on. “They made me feel right at home and it is a honor to be able to play there where Ahmad Bradshaw and Randy Moss played.

“I just want to go there and do good and just shine a little bit.â€

Johnson started his junior campaign ranked 14th out of 25 in the Roanoke Times’ list of top high school football players in Virginia. He’s in good company there with former Richlands players, Mike Compton, who was fifth, and Austin Fuller, who was 23rd, in years past.

“That is special to be ranked among the top players in the state of Virginia and just to be junior...,†Mance said. “What a tremendous talent.â€

While Johnson was a key part of Big Creek’s last playoff team in 2008, his family made the decision to move to Richlands. Call that a good move.

“If I had not come to Richlands I probably wouldn’t have gotten this opportunity because the coaches work so hard to get your highlight tapes out to the colleges,†Johnson said.

“They want you to do good in your life and they are going to make sure you will succeed and do good.â€

Not everyone was “happy†with Johnson’s decision. Mance spoke with Virginia assistant coach Scott Wachenheim on Wednesday, and he expressed regret that Johnson had made an early choice. However, Mance said that Marshall assistant Phil Ratliff was the beneficiary of the decision.

“(Devon) loves Marshall, he has been up there to a game, he went up there to camp last summer, he likes the coaches, and he fell in love with the place,†Mance said. “He’s got relatives in Charleston so he’s got good supporting cast there nearby, I think it is a great fit.â€

Johnson agreed. He’s also excited about what Doc Holliday is doing as head coach at Marshall.

“There were other schools, but I just felt like Marshall made me feel like home,†said Johnson, who plans to seek a degree in sports marketing. “The coaches were like family to me, they talked to me and acted like they knew me forever and they were real nice to me...

“Doc Holliday is building a good recruiting class, he is bringing a lot of good kids in there and he is going to turn that program around.â€

With his collegiate decision now made, Johnson is busy with basketball, but is already thinking ahead to his final season of football at Richlands.

“I’m looking really forward to that, I hope to help my teammates and my coaches get to another state championship,†Johnson said. “That is our ultimate goal and we are going to keep that goal from the beginning to the end.â€

Playing college football was Johnson’s ultimate dream. Call it a dream realized.

“It is a dream come true and I thank God for that,†Johnson said. “If it wasn’t for Him I wouldn’t be out here, I wouldn’t be signing with Marshall and I wouldn’t be going D-I if it wasn’t for Him so I want to thank God.â€

There is one more person Johnson is quick to thank. His father died last July, and he figures there is no one happier for him.

“I bet he is loving it in Heaven right now,†Johnson said. “I bet he is the proudest one up there and I am just glad I am doing this for him and God and everybody else and just my family.

“My dad gave me this gift and God gave it to me too. I just want to go out there and show them the gift and show everybody what God and my dad gave me.â€

Mance added that senior Will Lowe is expected to sign to play at Division II power Carson-Newman. Lowe’s classmates, Jack Vance, Sean Overton and Cody Thomas, are among others looking at schools like Carson-Newman, Virginia-Wise and Bluefield College.

“We’ve got six or seven kids out there where we are really waiting to see where they decide to go,†Mance said.

—Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

Life has many choices---eternity two

Congratulations Devon--

Proverbs 18:16 "A man's gift makes room for him and brings him before great men."