Hey, Subway, take that "footlong" and stuff it~

They'tr going after ANOTHER chain (again) for using the word "footlong".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41584626/ns/business-small_business/

I have a "beef" with Subway. Some of their stores don't even honor the "5 Dollar Footlong" promo. The store here in Charlotte's Southpark Mall only honors it on selected sandwiches at certain times, but during the national ad that says "February Any" it's a no go.

I have a "beef" with Subway. Some of their stores don't even honor the "5 Dollar Footlong" promo. The store here in Charlotte's Southpark Mall only honors it on selected sandwiches at certain times, but during the national ad that says "February Any" it's a no go.

Report that store to the parent company...the franchisee will definitely catch flack for not following a National ad campaign...

Report that store to the parent company...the franchisee will definitely catch flack for not following a National ad campaign...

I'm gonna do that. It seems to me even though each store is individually owned they benefit from the corporate advertising, and they should give the customers in Southpark the same opportunity the other stores offer.

I just called Subway headquarters and they told me unfortunately all stores are not required to participate. They encourage participation, and the lady I talked with said she doesn't understand why any franchise owner would not want to take advantage of the offer because all stores that do participate do great business, but they cannot force them to participate.

I just called Subway headquarters and they told me unfortunately all stores are not required to participate. They encourage participation, and the lady I talked with said she doesn't understand why any franchise owner would not want to take advantage of the offer because all stores that do participate do great business, but they cannot force them to participate.

Doesn't work like that with McD...especially on the National ad stuff...

That sucks. I get that stupid "Februany" song stuck in my head all the time.

But I love Subway. The 3 Subways in the Richlands/Claypool Hill area alternate a special three days a week, where you can get any footlong on the menu (minus the Big Philly and Big Pastrami) for $3.98.

Richlands Subway is Tuesdays (I think), Claypool Hill Mall is Wednesday, and Walmart is Thursdays.

But isn't paying higher prices for otherwise ordinary goods and services part of the cachet of shopping at SouthPark? A $5.00 footlong seems like more of a Northlake thing.

; )

I love eating at Subway, but this is stupid. I've seen "footlong" used all my life at plenty of restaurants and stores. It really is just a generic word.

And just to throw in a Subway story, when Battle went to play in a 7on7 tournament at Cloudland High School last summer, a bunch of parents went to the nearby Subway to get food for the team because we were stuck there much longer than we thought and didn't have enough food packed to last the day. You would think that the restaurant would be delighted to fill a $200 order, especially when there was no one else eating there at the time, but they actually turned us away. They said something about having already made a big order for one of the other teams and that they weren't going to make any more food for any of the other teams. I think someone did call their customer service, but I don't know what became of it. We ended up getting the team food elsewhere.

I love eating at Subway, but this is stupid. I've seen "footlong" used all my life at plenty of restaurants and stores. It really is just a generic word.

And just to throw in a Subway story, when Battle went to play in a 7on7 tournament at Cloudland High School last summer, a bunch of parents went to the nearby Subway to get food for the team because we were stuck there much longer than we thought and didn't have enough food packed to last the day. You would think that the restaurant would be delighted to fill a $200 order, especially when there was no one else eating there at the time, but they actually turned us away. They said something about having already made a big order for one of the other teams and that they weren't going to make any more food for any of the other teams. I think someone did call their customer service, but I don't know what became of it. We ended up getting the team food elsewhere.

They probably didn't have the "man power" to fulfill two large orders and keep the store open for regular customers (the ones that would come back on a regular basis). Better for them to turn you away, than to take your order and not have it ready in time.

They probably didn't have the "man power" to fulfill two large orders and keep the store open for regular customers (the ones that would come back on a regular basis). Better for them to turn you away, than to take your order and not have it ready in time.

Unbelievable! I would get fired on the spot if I refused to make a sale in my store, and rightfully so. You have to do what you have to do to get the job done. This is when you pick up the phone, call the owner, and get extra help to make it happen, whatever it takes. If that had been my store, the people that turned down the order would be looking for employment elsewhere. What a horror story for a retail business.

Unbelievable! I would get fired on the spot if I refused to make a sale in my store, and rightfully so. You have to do what you have to do to get the job done. This is when you pick up the phone, call the owner, and get extra help to make it happen, whatever it takes. If that had been my store, the people that turned down the order would be looking for employment elsewhere. What a horror story for a retail business.

They may have tried to get extra help. It isn't always as easy as making a phone call. When your employees are making minimum wage they usually aren't very eager to come in to help out on their day off.

They may have tried to get extra help. It isn't always as easy as making a phone call. When your employees are making minimum wage they usually aren't very eager to come in to help out on their day off.

With unemployment where it is they would either be eager or they would be gone. It's true you can't force people to come in on their off day, but when something like this happens you have to think outside the box as a manager or owner...you can't turn people away in a situation like this. I'm sure someone could have spared an hour to make some sandwiches.

Edited by blueinbama

With unemployment where it is they would either be eager or they would be gone. It's true you can't force people to come in on their off day, but when something like this happens you have to think outside the box as a manager or owner...you can't turn people away in a situation like this. I'm sure someone could have spared an hour to make some sandwiches.

Speaking from 8 years of retail management experience. When your employees are mostly part time, minimum wage, high school students getting them to come in on a day off is nearly impossible...most of the time. Would you really fire someone for not coming in on their scheduled off day?

I agree that you have to think outside the box, but there is literally only so much 2 or 3 people can do. If you can not fulfill two large orders and run a restaurant for your regular customers (which are more important to a business), then you cant do it.

Honestly, the parents should have placed such a large order well ahead of time to give the restaurant ample time to prepare the order. Just my opinion.

Speaking from 8 years of retail management experience. When your employees are mostly part time, minimum wage, high school students getting them to come in on a day off is nearly impossible...most of the time. Would you really fire someone for not coming in on their scheduled off day?

I agree that you have to think outside the box, but there is literally only so much 2 or 3 people can do. If you can not fulfill two large orders and run a restaurant for your regular customers (which are more important to a business), then you cant do it.

Honestly, the parents should have placed such a large order well ahead of time to give the restaurant ample time to prepare the order. Just my opinion.

Speaking from 41 years of retail management experience as both a store owner and a manager, turning customers away is unacceptable under almost any circumstance. As I said in my previous post, you can't force people come in on their off day, so no, I wouldn't fire them for that reason. But I would be able to make this $200.00 sandwich order work somehow. Even if I told the customers there would be a considerable wait to fill the order, I would not turn them away. I work with people who make minimum wage every day, and if they had that attitude they wouldn't be working for me. When you agree to accept the job, you agree to either accept the pay offered or go find a job that pays more. Being paid minimum wage is no excuse for giving inferior customer service. Giving superior customer service in retail is critical to doing good business. That's your job. It's not an option, it is a requirement. People can shop anywhere. You have to give them a reason to want to come back to your store. Turning people away, whether they are from out of town or not, is unacceptable.

Edited by blueinbama

Speaking from 41 years of retail management experience as both a store owner and a manager, turning customers away is unacceptable under almost any circumstance. As I said in my previous post, you can't force people come in on their off day, so no, I wouldn't fire them for that reason. But I would be able to make this $200.00 sandwich order work somehow. Even if I told the customers there would be a considerable wait to fill the order, I would not turn them away. I work with people who make minimum wage every day, and if they had that attitude they wouldn't be working for me. When you agree to accept the job, you agree to either accept the pay offered or go find a job that pays more. Being paid minimum wage is no excuse for giving inferior customer service. Giving superior customer service in retail is the key to good business. That's your job. It's not an option, it is a requirement.

You just said in your previous post that they would be "gone" for not being "eager" to come in to work on their day off.

All I am saying is if I had to choose between serving my regular, returning customers or an out of town group that will probably never come back to my restaurant anyways...I'm going to pick my regular customers any day.

I never said that being paid minimum wage is an excuse for inferior service. I just said it is hard to get that type of employee to dedicate their day off to coming in and making sandwiches...especially just for an hour, when that wouldn't even cover their gas money to get there and back home.

...all this Subway talk is making me hungry. I know where I'm going for lunch.

I always flip a coin: Tuna on honey oat? Or go with my other go-to sub, the oven roasted chicken breast, easy on the lettuce, with sweet onion sauce?

Enjoy your lunch today guys!

...all this Subway talk is making me hungry. I know where I'm going for lunch.

I always flip a coin: Tuna on honey oat? Or go with my other go-to sub, the oven roasted chicken breast, easy on the lettuce, with sweet onion sauce?

Enjoy your lunch today guys!

I eat at subway every Thursday. Most recently my sub of choice has been the chipotle steak and cheese on wheat. The southwest sauce is probably the most unhealthy, but it is yummy.

Let's be fair...if you're going to quote me, quote the whole thing. I said it's true you can't force people to come in on their off day. Here's my quote:

I was in no way saying you should fire someone for not coming in on their off day. My point was if you are not "eager" to work and do a good job as my employee, you would be gone. Sorry if my meaning was unclear.

It takes two people about 30 minutes at most to make enough sandwiches to fill a $200.00 order at Subway, even at $5.00 a pop. If I told the customer we would have the order ready in about an hour, making sure I allowed time to wait on my existing customers, I'm sure that order could have been filled. Even if you told the customer it would be 2 hours it would be better than turning them away. The customer then has a choice to wait on the order or not...but turning them away without even offering an option is bad customer service. I'm sure we're not going to agree here, but that's just how strongly I feel about satisfying my customers. No is never an option.

Let's be fair...if you're going to quote me, quote the whole thing. I said it's true you can't force people to come in on their off day. Here's my quote:

I was in no way saying you should fire someone for not coming in on their off day. My point was if you are not "eager" to work and do a good job as my employee, you would be gone. Sorry if my meaning was unclear.

It takes two people about 30 minutes at most to make enough sandwiches to fill a $200.00 order at Subway, even at $5.00 a pop. If I told the customer we would have the order ready in about an hour, making sure I allowed time to wait on my existing customers, I'm sure that order could have been filled. Even if you told the customer it would be 2 hours it would be better than turning them away. The customer then has a choice to wait on the order or not...but turning them away without even offering an option is bad customer service. I'm sure we're not going to agree here, but that's just how strongly I feel about satisfying my customers. No is never an option.

I see where you're coming from, and I don't disagree that customer service is very important. I think we just disagree that being honest and saying, "Look, we do not have the ability to fulfill this order right now", is bad customer service. If you cant preform what the customer asks, then be upfront with them. Besides, I seriously doubt that waiting 2 hours for lunch was an option when you are feeding teenagers during a 7on7 tournament.

Oh well, I'm finished debating about Subway. I like their sandwiches...that's all that matters to me. lol

Besides, I seriously doubt that waiting 2 hours for lunch was an option when you are feeding teenagers during a 7on7 tournament.

Oh well, I'm finished debating about Subway. I like their sandwiches...that's all that matters to me. lol

I can't disagree with that for sure! LOL!