Carroll has several good seniors this year:

Blake Bowman - Centerfield

Jordan Lamb - Second Base

Tyler Snow - Catcher

Jared Cox - Shortstop

Dillon Bryant - Left Field

Lee Underwood - Pitcher

Anthony Rosenbaum - Pitcher

Going to throw Luke Hilt's name, of Abingdon, into the mix, believe he's a senior. A consistent hitter at the plate with few errors on defense. Reminds me a lot of Bradley Strong, who IMO is making a strong showing for SWD POY.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Going to throw Luke Hilt's name, of Abingdon, into the mix, believe he's a senior. A consistent hitter at the plate with few errors on defense. Reminds me a lot of Bradley Strong, who IMO is making a strong showing for SWD POY.

What talent does Tazewell have?

Reminds me a lot of Bradley Strong, who IMO is making a strong showing for SWD POY.

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/may/07/prep-baseball-richlands-collects-16-hits-en-route--ar-1022879/

This game here proves my point--heard someone say last night, at the game, that Bradley is a pure hitter. Have to agree, he put on a show--he is a complete package as a player.

The Blues had the bats going last night--seem pretty solid from the top to the bottom of the order.

What talent does Tazewell have?

I haven't seen Tazewell play this year, so I'm really not sure. For seniors, I have to say Josh Mitchem, center fielder, is having a strong showing this year (basing this on what I've read).

Anytime you have a Lou Peery team with quality pitching, your more than likely going to be on top. He stresses fundamentals to his players and gets the most out of them. Coach Peery is alot like Coach Mance, he can take players with average and above-average skills and turn them in to top notch players.

Hope I get to attend the Tazewell @ Richlands game this Friday. It should be a humdinger and more than likely a nail-biter.

I haven't seen Tazewell play this year, so I'm really not sure. For seniors, I have to say Josh Mitchem, center fielder, is having a strong showing this year (basing this on what I've read).

Anytime you have a Lou Peery team with quality pitching, your more than likely going to be on top. He stresses fundamentals to his players and gets the most out of them. Coach Peery is alot like Coach Mance, he can take players with average and above-average skills and turn them in to top notch players.

Hope I get to attend the Tazewell @ Richlands game this Friday. It should be a humdinger and more than likely a nail-biter.

Saw this after I posted above about Mitchem--

Tazewell leadoff batter Josh Mitchem singles for one of his five hits during the Bulldogs’ 22-4 win over Graham on Saturday at Sizemore Memorial Field.

Staff photo by Brian Woodson

May 8, 2011

Bulldogs score 21 straight for SWD baseball win

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Sun May 08, 2011, 04:58 AM EDT

BLUEFIELD, Va. — It was a Dog day afternoon.

After two innings, Graham led Tazewell 4-1 in a Southwest District affair on Saturday at Sizemore Memorial Field.

Then came the third inning.

Tazewell scored 21 runs over the final three innings — including nine in the fateful third — and banged out 22 hits to stay unbeaten in the Southwest District with a 22-4 five-inning victory over the G-Men.

Josh Mitchem, who was 5-for-5 with five runs scored, four runs batted in and three stolen bases, admitted it took the Bulldogs a while to wake up for the rare Saturday affair.

“We came out flat, we were asleep, a bad first couple of innings,” Mitchem said. “We came out flat, but we ended up playing pretty good.”

Real good. Tazewell (11-1, 7-0) sent 36 batters to the plate in the final three innings, scoring nine, five and seven runs off three Graham pitchers, all of whom have been worked hard in recent days.

“Not to make excuses, but we have got some tired arms,” Graham head coach Matt Dixon said. “That freshman starter (Gray Baker) today, he threw about 80 pitches on Wednesday and I had a couple of kids yesterday.

“I had to come back with him today and he got through the first two innings really well and did a nice job. We made some mistakes in the field and his arm started getting tired and I brought into another kid (Seth Gearhart) that pitched yesterday and he got us out of a little bit of a jam and his arm was tired.”

Batters can always sense a weary arm. The Bulldogs certainly did. Mitchem did his job at the top of the batting order, collecting four singles and a double, and being aggressive on the basepaths.

“I just go up there and swing and try to hit the ball really,” Mitchem said.

It wasn’t just Mitchem. Zak Wasilewski had a triple, double and single, scored three runs and drove in five, while Gavin Yates and Dylan Crouse added three hits apiece, including a triple and double for Yates.

“Josh is a real good leadoff hitter, he makes some things happen, and like most leadoff hitters, when he goes we go,” Tazewell head coach Lou Peery said. “When he is on base we can make things happen and go from there .

“From 1 through 7 or 8, they are all pretty dynamic hitters and Josh is just a sparkplug and going 5-for-5 is just a plus.”

Graham answered a Josh Mitchem single and run scored in the first with a run of their own, and add three more in the second on an RBI double by Seth Gearhart and run-scoring singles from Logan Kirk and Tommy Lovell.

Having defeated Grundy 10-5 on Friday, the G-Men (2-12, 1-7) built on that momentum early against eventual winning pitcher Blake Hash.

“We played well, the momentum was with us early where we beat Grundy yesterday and we started hitting the ball, and we can hit this kid,” Dixon said. “Give Tazewell credit, they have got a good hitting ball club and when they got things going it got a little out of hand.”

Tazewell sent 14 batters to the plate in the third inning, with Mitchem leading it off with a single, and later doubled, scoring twice and driving in one run in the frame.

“Hopefully these kids take it that you can’t show up for a game and expect somebody to roll over for you,” Peery said. “You have got to show your teeth when you come out and play against anybody and everybody.”

The Bulldogs did just that, with other key hits being a two-run single by Mike Wood, RBI singles from Yates and Matt Kincer and a two-run double by Wasilewski. In all, the Bulldogs had eight hits and nine runs, and led 10-4 after three.

“When you are not uses to playing every Saturday, it takes them out of their routine,” said Peery, in explaining the slow start. “They took it on themselves to come alive and wake up, and Saturday morning blahs.

“They started to hit the ball and started to make something happen. We got a few extra base hits and ran the bases pretty hard.”

After Graham collected six hits in two innings against Hash, the G-Men managed just one more baserunner, a walk in the fifth. Hash retired nine of the final 10 batters he faced, and that one runner was retired on a double play.

Meanwhile, Tazewell continued to hit. The Bulldogs sent 10 batters to the plate in the fourth to score five runs, and sent 12 more up in the fifth and added seven more runs, with the bench even coming through with clutch play.

“You can’t ever stop them from swinging the bats so you want to get good swings and don’t swing at any garbage in there,” said Peery, on how he handles lopsided decisions. “I think we just keep going and try not to run the score up and hold runners when they should have scored and I think the kids understand that.”

Wood, Kincer and Christian Williams drove in two runs each for Tazewell, which will host Graham on Tuesday before traveling to Richlands for a key SWD affair on Friday.

“It don’t matter if we are playing Graham or Richlands,” said Peery, whose Bulldogs had no errors, compared to three for the G-Men, “it is a ball game and we have got to stay focused and do the things we do.”

Graham, which finished with six hits, was led at the plate by Lovell, who had two singles, and scored the G-Men’s run in the first.

“They have been through games like this before and they know they are better than that,” said Dixon, whose G-Men play Tazewell next Tuesday, with that game sandwiched between a pair with Marion.

“We go into every game thinking we are going to win, that is why you play the game, you think you are going to go in and win. We are going to battle, these kids are going to come back and battle and they are not going to give up.”

With the season winding down to tourney time, the ‘Dogs continue to lead the SWD. That is the first goal for Mitchem and friends.

“We’re about ready to play some tough teams here,” Mitchem said. “We had better get ready to play and not come out like we did today and get us more wins and win the district.”

—Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

at Sizemore Memorial Field

Tazewell..............109 57 — 22 21 0

Graham...............130 00 — 4 6 3

Blake Hash and Gavan Yates. Gray Baker, Seth Gearhart (3), Caleb Lewis (4) and Taylor Gearhart. W—Hash; L—Baker. HR—none

Edited by tbgfan

Well when you play Graham the ragdoll of the SWD its nothing but a stat booster. Its a good thing they are moving down after this year. I personally think Mike Wood is the best player in our district this year after seeing him dominate us.