Group A Division Play Powerpoint Presentation...

futbolking

From VHSL website, in case anybody is interested....not sure if anybody had posted it yet, I know there's been a lot of discussion about it.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/fb-division-play-group-a-power-point.pdf

Three Rivers District, I think got the raw end of the deal come playoff time, being stuck in the N/NE. Looking at some significant travel time come playoff time, potentially.

On a side note....I think it's kinda cool talking about Division 2 playoffs now...seeing Gate City, Giles, in the mix....feels like the 80's again....

Edited by futbolking

Three Rivers District, I think got the raw end of the deal come playoff time, being stuck in the N/NE. Looking at some significant travel time come playoff time, potentially.

Only in D-1...

that's a few months old... was put together in Oct.

I realize that, but football season is just around the corner....not everybody has seen it, or knows about it. Didn't want to dig through a million posts....I think it's going to be a welcome change at Graham High School. Change is good.

Edited by futbolking

Something I hadn't noticed when this first came out...

Section semi-final winners will be cross bracketed for the state semifinals.

So it's possible two S/SW teams or two N/NE teams can meet in the state finals?

Ok page 8, 68-8-10,

"Section semifinal winners are cross-bracketed for state semifinals"

So each section doesent have a champion like the old Region setup? Once each Section is down to 2 teams it would be,

S/SW 1 vs N/NE 2

N/NE 1 vs S/SW 2

Correct? or are we reading it wrong?

That could lead to some travel issues

Edited by redtiger

Well, we can't call'em 1 & 2, since that implies winner/loser, like the basketball & baseball regionals.

My guess is the highest remaining seed, so it would be

S/SW high vs N/NE low

N/NE high vs S/SW low

Not looking at the enrollments, but just the format, last year's semis woulda been

Radford (22.4. 9-4) @ Gretna (25.77, 12-1)

King William (23.0, 11-2) @ Gate City (23.9, 11-2)

&

Eastern Montgomery (25.2, 13-0) @ Riverheads (21.8, 12-1)

Franklin (21.4, 11-2) @ Clintwood (27.0, 12-1)

Odd how things work out like that... if you want to allow the possibility of the 2 best teams to make the finals, someone/s gonna hafta pay for it.

And, yeah, it could be Powell/Appy vs. Kelly/Pound in the state finals.

Edited by VHSLhelper

I realize that, but football season is just around the corner....not everybody has seen it, or knows about it. Didn't want to dig through a million posts....I think it's going to be a welcome change at Graham High School. Change is good.

Well, it's almost time for the ACTUAL alignment to be released, so I think it was odd that someone posts a look-ahead from 6 months ago that some ppl. may not have seen and confuse it with the actual alignment.

To do the playoffs this way and to make it more equal state wide(as this does) there are naturally gonna be some long travel times somewhere. I personally dont think many people have a problem w/ it, but im sure there will be some who complain(espicially after their team loses). But at that point in the playoffs long travel distances are to be expected.

I like it and I think it makes the playoffs more interesting. As well as helping to ensure the best 2 teams are in the finals

Grundy could be an interesting team in this setup, providing their enrollment hasnt increased. They would go from D3 down to D1. Some of the traditional D2 powers that could potientally be pushed down could make things interesting, as well as some of the previous D1 teams that could get moved up to D2.

Edited by redtiger

Well, it's almost time for the ACTUAL alignment to be released, so I think it was odd that someone posts a look-ahead from 6 months ago that some ppl. may not have seen and confuse it with the actual alignment.

Well...tell ya what....since it's "almost time"....for the "ACTUAL"...alignment...why don't you post that one when it comes out....until then, I'll look at this one as much as I want to look at it....

Most Graham fans that I know, have no clue that there is ANY alignment, since they just dropped to single A, thought I would share it with them, sorry to offend....

Edited by futbolking

At these numbers Richlands could drop to Division 2 Group A and end scheduling and travel problems......but it would spell doom for the SWD...

Incorrect. Richlands' enrollment is still above the AA/A cutoff...no dropping until they reach A numbers...

Incorrect. Richlands' enrollment is still above the AA/A cutoff...no dropping until they reach A numbers...

Just curious, what is the cutoff for A/AA? According to the Virginia DOE website, Richlands 2010-11 enrollment was 749, which is less than the 2 largest school in the S/SW section of Division 2 (Wilson Memorial- 754 & Stuarts Draft-751).

For the 2-year cycle that starts this Summer, the cut-off was 754 & Richlands had 795.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-Sept_30-membership-figures.pdf

The next realignment numbers will be taken in 4 months and will be used for the Summer 2013 realignment.

And "enrollment" numbers aren't what's used, it's "Membership" (which IS what you found) for grades 9-12, which will change due to the Seniors being replaced by the 8th graders, so the enrollment will go up by about 28 to 777.

But with a couple of new, larger schools opening and 3 smaller schools closing, that will push Richlands closer to the next cut-off.

And just because they DO fall below the cut-off (if), that doesn't mean they HAVE to drop... Grundy's been A-eligible for a long time.

redtiger - I believe Grundy will be between 475 & 500, but I don't know which number will be used for the split... we'll either be a huge Div. 1 or a small Div. 2.

Edited by VHSLhelper

Well...tell ya what....since it's "almost time"....for the "ACTUAL"...alignment...why don't you post that one when it comes out....until then, I'll look at this one as much as I want to look at it....

Most Graham fans that I know, have no clue that there is ANY alignment, since they just dropped to single A, thought I would share it with them, sorry to offend....

See, that's the thing... if they don't know, why throw stuff at them right now that isn't accurate when you can wait a week and share the actual stuff?

For the 2-year cycle that starts this Summer, the cut-off was 754 & Richlands had 795.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-Sept_30-membership-figures.pdf

The next realignment numbers will be taken in 4 months and will be used for the Summer 2013 realignment.

And "enrollment" numbers aren't what's used, it's "Membership" (which IS what you found) for grades 9-12, which will change due to the Seniors being replaced by the 8th graders, so the enrollment will go up by about 28 to 777.

But with a couple of new, larger schools opening and 3 smaller schools closing, that will push Richlands closer to the next cut-off.

And just because they DO fall below the cut-off (if), that doesn't mean they HAVE to drop... Grundy's been A-eligible for a long time.

redtiger - I believe Grundy will be between 475 & 500, but I don't know which number will be used for the split... we'll either be a huge Div. 1 or a small Div. 2.

you also forget graham has had A numbers for many years but asked to play AA and was given the waiver to remain in AA. for many years until this year.

In the next cycle or two I think Richlands will be able to drop, as Helper said some small schools are closing and some large ones are being consolidated(this area is going to lose 5 small schools and gain 4 large ones in the next 4 years), combine those two w/ Richlands declining enrollment(however slow it is) and they will drp to A. When they do Tazewell will also and there is the chance that a "new" SWD could be reformed in single A. With the new playoff setup there isint a real need for the VHSL to control how many districts exist, so locally you could have

Wise North, Wise East, Wise West(or whatever they call them), Dickenson Co., Lebanon, Gate City, Lee, JS Battle, VA High, Richlands, Grundy, Tazewell, Graham

in two or three districts w/ the potiential for Honaker to be involved w/ the bigger schools. That would really leave Hurley and Twin Valley out in the cold(too small to play w/ the big schools and too far from the cumberland district teams, the closest of which is Castlewood).

you also forget graham has had A numbers for many years but asked to play AA and was given the waiver to remain in AA. for many years until this year.

Gate City "played up" for several years also. Tazewell still is

Im not sure but Battle, Lebanon and George Wythe may also have played up some, but I dont think so.

In the next cycle or two I think Richlands will be able to drop, as Helper said some small schools are closing and some large ones are being consolidated(this area is going to lose 5 small schools and gain 4 large ones in the next 4 years), combine those two w/ Richlands declining enrollment(however slow it is) and they will drp to A. When they do Tazewell will also and there is the chance that a "new" SWD could be reformed in single A. With the new playoff setup there isint a real need for the VHSL to control how many districts exist, so locally you could have

Wise North, Wise East, Wise West(or whatever they call them), Dickenson Co., Lebanon, Gate City, Lee, JS Battle, VA High, Richlands, Grundy, Tazewell, Graham

in two or three districts w/ the potiential for Honaker to be involved w/ the bigger schools. That would really leave Hurley and Twin Valley out in the cold(too small to play w/ the big schools and too far from the cumberland district teams, the closest of which is Castlewood).

Somewhere in the next couple of years Hurley will consolidate with all of buch. co. I would presume.

Nope. Won't happen until after they get the CFX built, unless y'all get flooded again. (I made it a point to tell Brown a few years ago "don't make things go REAL smooth, or else the SB might decide they don't need HHS.") I also expect the merger to happen in a new building up at Poplar Gap.

Okay... let me clarify that. Grundy had 491 in the Fall w/111 Seniors. I can't imagine 16 or more kids dropping out since then. I may be wrong, but I'd say we're still be over 475.

Nope...I just don't rem. when there were first eligible to drop... I'm thinking Grundy was eligible before them.

In the next cycle or two I think Richlands will be able to drop

I don't They had 748 in the Fall, with more 8th graders than Seniors, so I don't see them moving down the list. Marion will still be a bit above 700, Martinsville should drop below 700, but I don't think they'd want to go to the Dogwood.

(That WOULD be interesting, though.... moving from Region IV to Region B .. shows the enrollment disparity. And I THINK they'd be the 1st former AAA team to join A ... they dropped to AA in 1974.)

Also, I don't see any way that Dickenson Co. High can open in 2013... they're still trying to get the land... so that's 3 more A schools than you're counting.

UNLESS Tazewell Co. does something I've mentioned before... redraw the line out around Pounding Mill to send some Blues to Tazewell to "even things out". They shoulda done that years ago so Grundy, Graham, Tazewell & Richlands could've all dropped to A together and kept the SWD name.

The thing I'm keeping an eye on is to see if Lee's small gain and the movement of the split-line pushes them back up to AA again.

Edited by VHSLhelper

The land will be acquired shortly, DCHS should be open by 2014. The middle school and techinical school will follow, for the first couple of years DCHS will probably play sports in clintwoods facilities.

Redrawing the Tazewell/ Richlands line, would make sense.

For Buchannon Cos sake I hope they dont do a county wide school up on Popular Gap before CFX is built, but once CFX is built the trip wouldnt be bad at all.

It would be bad for Lee if they had to move back up to AA, but they might be able to recieve another wavier. Espically bad because their nearest AA competition would be Abingdon, and if the SWD teams drop then the next nearest team would be Carroll Co! I think they would go independent 1st. They could join the Wise Co teams and DC, they wouldnt be that much larger and it would be competitive

Edited by redtiger

Is the long-term plan for Buchanan County one high school or two (like a East/West)? Or is it just consolidating Grundy and Hurley, and leaving Twin Valley and Council open?

I know CFX wont be near Council but I assume better roads will be build to access it and thus better roads to access the school. I may be wrong but from TV to Grundy isint bad and eventually their will be a better road up to Poplar Gap(the road up Sunset isint bad now).

Council may just be left out of any consolidation because now that I think of it I cant imagine why an access road would be built from Council to 460, theres not one now and probably wont be one in the future. I guess it really depends on where the school is built, if its Poplar Gap thats a long way from Council, if its more centrally located then maybe

Edited by redtiger