LeBron...

Lance

anyone watch the game last night?

Sportscenter: "you dont ask LeBron for change for a $1...you will only get $0.75 cents back because he never gives you 4 quarters." Ouch!

jordanpip.jpg

For years, people have been wondering what LeBron's destiny will be/legacy has been. LeBron is nothing more than a better Karl Malone. Malone was damn good, but if you look at the career arcs, they're so similar that it's scary.

What I find fascinating is how much time we've spent wondering about his legacy. Every game is a do-or-die situation for how we'll remember him. Did we do the same for Magic when he lost 4 times in the championship? How about Jerry West's 8 losses?

Lebron has a ton of basketball left to play in his career. He's got a ton of time to define his legacy, whatever it may be.

But when you take away all the focus on legacy, what you're left with is a player that has all the physical tools to be the GOAT, but decides to spend his time bitching and moaning about every little call against him and every time he gets touched. It doesn't anger me as much as it upsets me.

Lebron has the physical tools to dominate 4 of 5 positions on the court, while he could be a serviceable Center. Why doesn't he ever post up? Why doesn't he trust his shot? Why does he get pushed around like a rag doll just to try to get every call?

I hate watching people not live up to their potential.

What I find fascinating is how much time we've spent wondering about his legacy. Every game is a do-or-die situation for how we'll remember him. Did we do the same for Magic when he lost 4 times in the championship? How about Jerry West's 8 losses?

Lebron has a ton of basketball left to play in his career. He's got a ton of time to define his legacy, whatever it may be.

But when you take away all the focus on legacy, what you're left with is a player that has all the physical tools to be the GOAT, but decides to spend his time bitching and moaning about every little call against him and every time he gets touched. It doesn't anger me as much as it upsets me.

Lebron has the physical tools to dominate 4 of 5 positions on the court, while he could be a serviceable Center. Why doesn't he ever post up? Why doesn't he trust his shot? Why does he get pushed around like a rag doll just to try to get every call?

Jerry West lost 8 times because he had to compete against Bill Russell for 6 of those. Magic lost 4 times because he ran into Bird's Celtics twice and Jordan's Bulls once. Those are only three of the four greatest dynasties in the sport's history (Magic's Lakers were the 4th). Plus, when you add that West and Magic both had fewer teams to compete with, mathematically, there was a better chance for them to get back to the Finals multiple times. But I digress.

I think LeBron easily has a decade left. He's a physical specimen. But so was Karl Malone. I don't think LeBron has it in him: he's obviously worse in crunch time than he is in more meaningless times. Of course, you're right, he has a ton of time to prove us wrong.

Jerry West lost 8 times because he had to compete against Bill Russell for 6 of those. Magic lost 4 times because he ran into Bird's Celtics twice and Jordan's Bulls once. Those are only three of the four greatest dynasties in the sport's history (Magic's Lakers were the 4th). Plus, when you add that West and Magic both had fewer teams to compete with, mathematically, there was a better chance for them to get back to the Finals multiple times. But I digress.

I think LeBron easily has a decade left. He's a physical specimen. But so was Karl Malone. I don't think LeBron has it in him: he's obviously worse in crunch time than he is in more meaningless times. Of course, you're right, he has a ton of time to prove us wrong.

Yeah, fair enough.

Also, when Lebron came into the league, we were assumed he would be the greatest ever. Magic, West, etc. proved that they were great. I think that's another huge factor that plays into all this. We didn't have preconceived notions of what his career should be.

Everyone is like...he had a triple double and what not last night. Well too bad that doesn't matter. What does matter is:

A) They lost.

B) He was -11 in +/-

C) 2 pts in the 4th quarter (and essentially the Mavericks gave them to him)

He's a brilliant player. His attitude has finally caught up with him and he's reaping what he has sewn.

Yeah, fair enough.

Also, when Lebron came into the league, we were assumed he would be the greatest ever. Magic, West, etc. proved that they were great. I think that's another huge factor that plays into all this. We didn't have preconceived notions of what his career should be.

Good point. He was on the "Jordan/Ewing/Sampson" list of "holy cow, this guy's going to come in and demolish everyone". What hurt him, though, is that he really was one of the 5-best players in the league his first season there. But then he had to play with an atrocious platter of teammates in Cleveland, then he got swept in the Finals, then the Celtics got good again, and there was Lebron: still one of the 5-best players in the league, but not ever getting over that hump.

Alas. They're still alive, but man, Miami should've ended this in 5. Too much talent on that team to be down 3-2 to a team whose second-best player is Jason Terry and whose third-best player is a past-past-past-being-past-his-prime Jason Kidd.

Couple of things...just for fun:

-Those guys mentioned lost some, but have rings. LeBron doesn't have that yet.

-None of those guys were ever compared to Jordan, so LeBron is going to take heat (no pun intended) from the Jordan fans.

-The way he left Cleveland put him on the no-brainer easy to hate list.

-All the talent in the world and can't show up when it counts most...unlike Jordan with the flu shot the lights out and more than once crushed Karl Malone's dreams...to me that's the big difference...Jordan seemed to have this invincible feeling in the playoffs, you just knew he was going to bring it home...with LeBron you sort of have that same feeling, only it's that he will probably choke though.

the Karl Malone thing that UVA brought up is actually pretty interesting if you look at it.

Karl Malone, Jr. Tellin' you. ;)

ironically Jordan killed his career lol.

did you see how the Heat just rolled over and died the last 3 min of the game tonight? You would have NEVER seen Jordan do that...never...so all this talk about people being better than Jordan...Kobe, LeBron...whatever...people can just shut up about it.

"Hey MJ...is LeBron better than you?"

mj-laughing.gif

ironically Jordan killed his career lol.

did you see how the Heat just rolled over and died the last 3 min of the game tonight? You would have NEVER seen Jordan do that...never...so all this talk about people being better than Jordan...Kobe, LeBron...whatever...people can just shut up about it.

Totally agreed. I mean, when the "formerly soft" Dallas Mavericks are the mentally-tougher team in a series, it says so very much about your team and you as a player. LeBron will never get to Jordan's level. It's not happening now. That door is SHUT, baby.

So tired of hearing about LeBron and the Heat. Im a Lakers fan, but am glad that Dallas won. Unfortunately, little will be heard about Dallas winning, it will be all about LeBron losing. Much like golf, 2% percent of the conversation is spent talking about the leader or winner and 98% about who else but Tiger, Tiger, Tiger.

Guest The Variable

And here is another difference between Jordan and Lebron.

Jordan left his off court personality in his personal life. I dont remember until years after his 16th retirement about how he really is a jerk to a lot of people, he holds grudges like he was in elementary school and has very little in the way of humility. But that stuff doesnt matter, because he kept his professional attitude at the forefront of his career. He is free to be the biggest butthead of all time, and he can still thrive because he knows the "time and place"

James doesnt know time and place. Doesnt have the maturity or the wits to be aware of whats around him, he just thinks that he is around everyone else. Thats why he and Wade got caught mocking Dirk...it was a silly thing to get worked up over, but if either of those two players cared enough or had enough intelligence to realize that A) camera on them and B) that the media loves to make somethings out of nothings then they never would have been embarassed...again.

Then you have LeBron whining on television. You know the only time I saw MJ upset was when his dad died. Lebron said "all these people wishing for me to fail will wake up tomorrow and their lives will be the same". Well no, because now I have the satisfaction of knowing that at least karma caught up to some people, including heat fans in miami who gave up on their team with over 2 minutes left in the game. I hope your team moves to another state.

Guest The Variable
Not 5... Not 6... Not 7...

Not Any is still in play.

He better hope he doesnt suffer some career altering/ending injury while not having a championship ring or he will become a permanent joke of the NBA.

It looks like the NFL is getting over its diva era. With Owens and Ochocinco and Moss aging and no new breed of over-the-top royal d-bags surfacing (except maybe Darrel Revis) is replacing them. Crabtree looked scetch but I think him finally signing a competent agent got that calmed down.