Yet Another Virginia Consolidation

Unchained

Spoke to a fellow from Alleghany County at the JJK-Honaker game today and he said a consolidation with Covington is in the works. The day of the small school is coming quickly to an end. Schools like J.I.Burton have some hard thinking to do.

Covington I can see. But county schools like Bath, Bland, Highland, Craig...they have little options in terms of consolidation.

There are 2 high schools in Bland County, Bland High School (Rockets) and Rocky Gap (Eagles) There is no "Bland County High School"....

Their sports teams are made up of students from both schools and are called the "Bland County Bears"

I think it would be a good possibility for consolidation in Bland County, however it would still be a small school with around 300 students or so....

The bus trip to school for some would be a monster, but that's true for most county schools, like Floyd County.....some of those kids are on a bus for 45 minutes to get to and from school.

Actually, BCHS should open in a couple of years. But since ot's not 2 teams combning, and the schools already do things together, there's no stink being raised and no one ouside the area knows.

They got some of that zero-interst loan $$$ that Wise & Dickenson got.

http://www.swvatoday.com/news/article/bland_county_to_come_up_with_school_building_plan/9465/

Spoke to a fellow from Alleghany County at the JJK-Honaker game today and he said a consolidation with Covington is in the works. The day of the small school is coming quickly to an end. Schools like J.I.Burton have some hard thinking to do.

I don't see that happening soon. They've been "talking" for a few years now. And this isn't about schools, it's the givt. side... "disbanding" the City of Covington so it san be part of the county.

And Burton is fine. They might even come out in BETTER shape if they gain some students whose parents are too ****ed off to let them go to the "wrong" school

I don't see that happening soon. They've been "talking" for a few years now. And this isn't about schools, it's the givt. side... "disbanding" the City of Covington so it san be part of the county.

And Burton is fine. They might even come out in BETTER shape if they gain some students whose parents are too ****ed off to let them go to the "wrong" school

Let's save this thread and revisit it in a few years and see which one is right about Burton being fine or not :) Too many folks are betting on kids going to Norton because they are "pissed off". Not going to happen IMO,and according to what the gent told me at the game,the folks in AC/Cov are past the point of just talking about it and have scheduled meetings with officials. At any rate,with more schools consolidating,I would figure that athletic scheduling will become an issue for schools like Burton at some point.

Edited by Unchained

There are 2 high schools in Bland County, Bland High School (Rockets) and Rocky Gap (Eagles) There is no "Bland County High School"....

Their sports teams are made up of students from both schools and are called the "Bland County Bears"

I think it would be a good possibility for consolidation in Bland County, however it would still be a small school with around 300 students or so....

The bus trip to school for some would be a monster, but that's true for most county schools, like Floyd County.....some of those kids are on a bus for 45 minutes to get to and from school.

They combine for sports. My point was even with the combination they're a small school and little can be done unless counties start merging which is doubtful.

Let's save this thread and revisit it in a few years and see which one is right about Burton being fine or not :) Too many folks are betting on kids going to Norton because they are "pissed off". Not going to happen IMO,and according to what the gent told me at the game,the folks in AC/Cov are past the point of just talking about it and have scheduled meetings with officials. At any rate,with more schools consolidating,I would figure that athletic scheduling will become an issue for schools like Burton at some point.

Norton, to me, sppears to be fine. They had NO interest in the Wise Co. mess, and still don't. MAYBE if Wise Co. could get their ducks in a row, Norton would come to the table. Still, this move would be a BIG help to Wise Co., getting Norton's numbers, which would increase the gov't money they'd get. Norton has nothing to gain there, except a new school bdg (I hope).

Meanwhile, if Norton gets just THREE kids per grade, that's a few thousand more they'd get in funding, with just a few hundred being spent... no new teachers would need to be hired, no new bus runs, maybe just a few new books.

And, remember wirh Allegahany/Covington, you're talking about 1 gov't entity absorbing another. Every heard of anything involving the govt. that happens soon?

... like Floyd County.....some of those kids are on a bus for 45 minutes to get to and from school.

HUH?? I had plenty of classmates at Grundy tha did the same 30 years ago, when we had 4 orher high schools. The problem is the 15-minute stop most busses have to make and the other elem. schools.

I didn't ride the bus in high school because the ride from John Battle to my house and vice versa was at least an hour, and I only live 15 minutes from the school.

I didn't ride the bus in high school because the ride from John Battle to my house and vice versa was at least an hour, and I only live 15 minutes from the school.

I lived 11 minutes from Graham High School. The bus ride took 48 minutes. The way my bus route was set up, people who lived 1 mile from the Tazewell Happy Mart would get home before I would. Needless to say, when I turned 16, I never rode the bus again.

I hear ya....some of the kids up in floyd co. had a 45 minute commute to school by car...I can imagine on a bus....

HUH?? I had plenty of classmates at Grundy tha did the same 30 years ago, when we had 4 orher high schools. The problem is the 15-minute stop most busses have to make and the other elem. schools.

I wasn't including the stops...lol....some of those kids didn't get home til 5:30 or 6:00. If you lived in Indian Valley or on top of Macks Mountain...that was probably the case. (when going home from the high school.

I just want to confirm this by saying school children in my family have an hour bus ride to and from school. Actually when they go to high school, they will then load another bus and ride 20 more minutes from the elementary to the high school......fact.

I know DC is trying to avoid the long bus rides to the HS by having HS only buses serve the outlying communities.

What about regional schoold districts? I have no opnion on this at all(I dont know enough about the details; funding, school board seats, etc)

Assuming current consolidation plans werent in effect, for example

Buchannon Co/Dickenson Co/ Wise Co/Russell Co.

Close Council send them to Haysi/Honaker

Close Pound send them to Clintwood/JJ Kelly

Close Ervinton send them to Castlewood/Coeburn/Haysi

Close St Paul send them to Castlewood

I know this is kinda drastic and I dont know that it would have been a solution for this area but what about applying the concept to other areas? Such as Highland, Bath, Alleghany and Craig. I know Alleghaney doesent have a low enrollment but the others do.

Just looking for opnions

Edited by redtiger

I know they dont. I dont really understand why. In alot of cases it would make travel alot easier for the kids.

Simple reality, it isn't about the kids. It is about power and control. Larger and wealthier counties don't want to use their resources outside their communities.

If you doubt this ask someone from NOVA how they feel about subsidizing your schools. They hate it.

Guest Highlanders

Bland County High School should be built in the community of Bastian right off I-77. That would the perfect location for students from Bland and Rocky Gap to attend school. I attended Pulaski County High School, and there were some students that had to travel a roughly 40 minutes from communities such as Allisonia, Hiawassie, and Little Creek, but they managed to arrive at the school on time even during bad weather. If Pulaski can do it, Bland sure could.

Bland County High School should be built in the community of Bastian right off I-77. That would the perfect location for students from Bland and Rocky Gap to attend school. I attended Pulaski County High School, and there were some students that had to travel a roughly 40 minutes from communities such as Allisonia, Hiawassie, and Little Creek, but they managed to arrive at the school on time even during bad weather. If Pulaski can do it, Bland sure could.

Great idea. The only problem with Bland County would be kids from the Ceres area. That's a good hike to Bastian from there, but certainly no more than 45 minutes. I'm surprised that Bland County hasn't already thought of this. It truly would be the best option fiscally, since the two schools are one in everything except facilities, anyway.