Grundy Players Transferring???

mdotson98

I dont think Grundy will be a solid playoff team for a couple of years but I think they will be better than Hurley this upcomming year. Maybe im wrong?

Playoffs? uhmmm...yeah.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats brought this about? I understand Berglowe is in some form of situation that from what I have gathered is private so I dont want the details on that but what about the other players? Why leave Grundy for Hurley?

No offense to Hurley but they arent gonna be any better than Grundy? Its not a situation like w/ Richlands where kids want to win a state title? Or is all of these kids transfering just coincidence?

Sounds like more than coincidence to me, especially with the Grundy coaches leaving...maybe the 2 are related.

With all this news of these players transferring, does Hurley finally have a chance to beat their arch-rival the Grundy Golden Waves???

Friday, September 9, 2011

Hurley Rebels @ Grundy Golden Waves

With all this news of these players transferring, does Hurley finally have a chance to beat their arch-rival the Grundy Golden Waves???

Friday, September 9, 2011

Hurley Rebels @ Grundy Golden Waves

I know it's a question, but let's not "hype" this up before 2 a days are over and seeing how the team "gels". Hurley only has 3 returning starters but they do have a few others that had considerable playing time. Bergelowe is a great asset to go along with Cooper and Waynick and along with one of the Stacy twins and T. Charles, Hurley's skill positions are ahead of the line. The line is all new from tackle to tackle.

Jet Sweep Baby!

I didnt know they lost all of their linemen.

They will run the crap out of the Jet! But just ask JI Burton, when the only run play youve got is the jet it becomes really hard to move the ball. The Rebels will have to get some blocking from their line or atleast the FB

Something interesting to look at, how embarrassing would it be for the transfers lose to grundy at grundy? Not saying it because of grundy and hurley, I just mean in general that would be a fail.

Something interesting to look at, how embarrassing would it be for the transfers lose to grundy at grundy? Not saying it because of grundy and hurley, I just mean in general that would be a fail.

yep.

and from what i've heard...so far...Waynick got part of his finger cut off lifting weights the other day...not sure how or if that will come in to play? probably be more bothersome in basketball than football, but still...some concern there of course.

I heard Hurley is putting Justus at center, moving a TE to guard and the FB up to guard...then they have two big kids Church has been working with at tackle...so sounds like they have figured out a game plan and might be ok there?

I have a lot of faith in Berglowe...i've worked with him on stuff myself and I know what he can do...he has studied Marcum a lot and picked up and copied a lot of things that made him a great runner...he listens to what you tell him and pays attention to detail...i think Tester will be able to help him with a few tricks of his own, don't forget Greg was not bad in his day either. Berglowe might not be the biggest kid on the field, but he's the real deal...and he gets a little better every game...or has so far from what i've seen...i don't think he's peaked yet.

Berg and teddy(dylan) have always been big buddies of mine, I understand their reasons and respect them, but damn I just can't see leaving your school when you have one year left, it happens everywhere though, and every year. I wish them the best of luck, except for one game of the year.

yep.

and from what i've heard...so far...Waynick got part of his finger cut off lifting weights the other day...not sure how or if that will come in to play? probably be more bothersome in basketball than football, but still...some concern there of course.

I heard Hurley is putting Justus at center, moving a TE to guard and the FB up to guard...then they have two big kids Church has been working with at tackle...so sounds like they have figured out a game plan and might be ok there?

I busted up a finger weightlifting, so ive been there but I didnt cut any of mine off! Hope hes ok.

Their TE didnt do anything but block last season and they run the Jet to the SE side so that move makes sense. The FB seemed a little small to play on the line but I may be mistaken. He didnt really carry the ball anyway and was a solid blocker. That is if the TE and FB are the same as last season.

Berg and teddy(dylan) have always been big buddies of mine, I understand their reasons and respect them, but damn I just can't see leaving your school when you have one year left, it happens everywhere though, and every year. I wish them the best of luck, except for one game of the year.

Don't get that going, you will never hear the end of it....

I busted up a finger weightlifting, so ive been there but I didnt cut any of mine off! Hope hes ok.

Their TE didnt do anything but block last season and they run the Jet to the SE side so that move makes sense. The FB seemed a little small to play on the line but I may be mistaken. He didnt really carry the ball anyway and was a solid blocker. That is if the TE and FB are the same as last season.

well if they put the FB at weak side guard, which is what i think is going on, then it doesnt take a lot to play that position well...he should be ok i think...just sounds to me like they have a good game plan in place to replace the line going in to two a days...which you never know who will show up and be able to fill in some place.

Lance, they had one Big Ole Youngun #64 last year you guys can correct me if I'm wrong was just a freshman . I thought he definitley showed some talent and if he was just a freshman this youngun is gonna be a a beast like no other they've had on the line after Church and Co. get done with him. I know they got some holes to feel but I think they have a coaching staff that can get the most out of what they got. I'm glad my work schedule is more flexible I'll get to see them play a lot more this year.Good luck!

Lance, they had one Big Ole Youngun #64 last year you guys can correct me if I'm wrong was just a freshman . I thought he definitley showed some talent and if he was just a freshman this youngun is gonna be a a beast like no other they've had on the line after Church and Co. get done with him. I know they got some holes to feel but I think they have a coaching staff that can get the most out of what they got. I'm glad my work schedule is more flexible I'll get to see them play a lot more this year.Good luck!

the big kid...i dont know his name...is one they put at tackle...I think they may be better on offense than a lot of people are expecting...but i dont know about defense, and defense wins ball games.

Who was the BIG guy Hurley had back in 01-02? Big guy and had some athletic ability but was more concerned w/ running his mouth than playing football. Not trying to compare the kid you guys are talking about to him it just got me thinking.

Weakside Guard would work. For that matter Frontside Guard doesent have to have a great block on the Jet play.

Jet teams usually try to go w/ quick over big at the tackle positions so it will be interesting to see how they work the line out

Edited by redtiger

I didnt know they lost all of their linemen.

They will run the crap out of the Jet! But just ask JI Burton, when the only run play youve got is the jet it becomes really hard to move the ball. The Rebels will have to get some blocking from their line or atleast the FB

The jet worked good in the second half but not like it did in the first half. JI took the passing away in the 2nd. half and that is what made the difference.

Big Steve (#64) was just a freshman last year and they did move a fb to guard but not the one that started against Haysi. BD,Church, and Greg have been hard at work on different line combos to begin the season. I think this years line won't be as quick but they are bigger so that might lead to more straight up "in your face" I formations.

I was reffering to JIBs downward slide the past few seasons(I know they won region 2 years ago and were runners up last season), they came to rely on the jet too much and became predictable so they went w/ some single back and some I formation(also predictable). Of course they had the talent to blow most teams off the field but when faced w/ teams w/ similar talent JIB hasnt faired well

Hurley mixed different I formations w/ the double wing last year and did a pretty good job.

I am curious as to why they went w/ I formations at all? If the RB goes in a deeper motion you can run anything from a double wing set as you can from an I formation; leads, traps, counters, anything you want

Edited by redtiger

I was reffering to JIBs downward slide the past few seasons(I know they won region 2 years ago and were runners up last season), they came to rely on the jet too much and became predictable so they went w/ some single back and some I formation(also predictable). Of course they had the talent to blow most teams off the field but when faced w/ teams w/ similar talent JIB hasnt faired well

Hurley mixed different I formations w/ the double wing last year and did a pretty good job.

I am curious as to why they went w/ I formations at all? If the RB goes in a deeper motion you can run anything from a double wing set as you can from an I formation; leads, traps, counters, anything you want

oh, my bad, but your right sometimes that happens when u rely on the jet too much, u get predictable. I guess they use the I just for a different look plus some of the RB's don't run as well out of the wing as they do the I. Well, some of our RB's.

It is easier to see how the defense is set up and where the hole/cutback lane might be from the TB position rather than while in motion. Its just if you run some of the I stuff from a Double Wing that makes that particular formation sooo much harder to game plan for.

If you just run Jet, Counter and a pass to the SE thats not too hard to game plan for but if you run all of that as well as Rocket Sweep and Lead that becomes much more difficult. Not to mention that once that WB goes past the FB you have 2 wings and a WR to throw to on the same side, thats hard to defend

Not to mention it makes it easier to change up the snap count which really slows down the defense as well as getting the occasional easy 5 yards

Edited by redtiger

I may be mistaken but I've talked to a few players and both I've spoken with said that the Rebels are doing away with the double wing this year and going with the spread.

Not so fast my friend, it won't be the bread and butter but the wing is not going to be completely eliminated. I agree with redtiger, not enough athletes at WR's. I think you be able to tell which direction they will go after the first scrimmage. Hurley just has so many different positions to fill from all the RB's to all the lineman that they are just open to all option's.

It's tough being a coach at a small school when you have 11 seniors graduate and they were almost half the team and filled almost all the positions.